Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Let's talk about Nanman and next Chapter Packs!

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 10,130
edited June 2020 in General Discussion
For Nanman, it might be:
  • Meng Huo
  • Mulu
  • Wutugu
based from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanman

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Chapter Pack,

Most people believe it will be Guandu but what about afterwards?

Three Kingdoms Chapter Pack in a game called Three Kingdoms? hmmmmmm.....

Anyways after that, will there be more chapter pack? Jiang Wei Expedition to represent late characters and that's it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder,
This thread only talks about Nanman and Chapter Packs only.

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,410
    edited June 2020
    The chapter packs I had in mind were

182 - Mandate of Heaven
    190 - Rise of the Warlords (Vanilla)
    194 - A World Betrayed

###########

198 - Fall of the Yuan. (Yuan Shao & Yuan Shu demise)
    203 - The Tiger Shall Roar Again (Sun Quan consolidation of the southlands)
    207 - And so the governors falls (Liu Biao death and the battle of Red Cliff)
    211 - Returning Home (Liu Bei arrival in Yi)
    215 - A Fragile Balance (Conflict between Liu Bei and Sun Quan)
    220 - Once again the Sons will carry their Fathers legacy (Death of Cao Cao, birth of Cao Wei and Shu Han)
    224 - The Southern Campaign (& perhaps the eastern campaign of Wu aswell ?)
    229 - The Three Kingdoms (Map state with the big three)
    233 - The Last Nothern Expedition (Zhuge Liang death)
    238 - Gongsun Yuan rebellion
    242 - Goguryeo and the Korean states
    247 - Rebellions in the south (Lady Trieu)
    258 - Every story that has a beginning must have an end. (Fall of Shu, Fall of Wei and Fall of Wu while the Sima rise to power)

###########

291 - The Eight Princes

... but I don't see CA going this way actually. (Even if the events are neatly spaced)
  • Ostubaf_CattoOstubaf_Catto Registered Users Posts: 138
    I think for Chapter Pack DLC, CA should follow chronological order for now. Three Kingdoms Chapter Pack sure will happen at some point but if they skip straight to that after Guandu, I think it will do harm than good.
    • It will break the narrative of the game. One thing about this game is that we can see our heroes grow in this time of chaos. if CA decided to skip like 20+ years of story, that would be sad.
    • Right now, 3K's late game still need more work. We all know the late game can be pretty boring sometimes and for the Three Kingdoms Chapter Pack that begins right in the late game, I think CA needs to do something with the late game first.
    Moreover, I think other cultures can be added alongside the Chapter Pack to like Wu Huan can be added with Guandu Chapter, Goguryeo can be added with Sima Yi's Coup Chapter etc.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,221
    Rewan said:

182 - Mandate of Heaven
    194 - A World Betrayed

###########

220 - Once again the Sons will carry their Fathers legacy (Death of Cao Cao, birth of Cao Wei and Shu Han)
    258 - Every story that has a beginning must have an end. (Fall of Shu, Fall of Wei and Fall of Wu while the Sima rise to power)

###########

291 - The Eight Princes

... but I don't see CA going this way actually. (Even if the events are neatly spaced)

No way- please no. I already have not bought any DLC for 3K and from that lineup, I would never buy any of that DLC.

I might be tempted by a 199 DLC that added Wuhuan and some areas of the steppes along with the final confrontation between Yuan Shao and CaoCao.

Goguryeo might be interesting but it would have to be its own DLC- shoehorning into another DLC I am not sure about.

Then there is the Five Barbarians and the fall of Sima/Rise of the Jin which ultimately would probably be the most interesting.

YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
    edited June 2020
    No way- please no. I already have not bought any DLC for 3K and from that lineup, I would never buy any of that DLC.

Those would be mostly the chapter packs, I wouldn't get most of these either I think.

But it's just good excuses to add content to the relevant factions... (So Goguryeo, Lady Trieu (well, think Shi Xie here) and the Nanmans could all be part of other DLC's prior to their chapter pack so they are added to the 190 start)

But I'll not deny I'm being a bit farfetched with them here. But at the same time the spacing makes it... an interesting book.
    Post edited by Rewan on
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 255
    Rewan said:

182 - Mandate of Heaven
    194 - A World Betrayed

###########

###########

291 - The Eight Princes

Some of this are a bit redundant I think, like the Sun Quan one. Not much would change, other than Cao Cao conquering the north from the split yuan family.

I think we'll get a guandu one, a chibi one and some about the three kingdoms, maybe Yiling or the nanman campaign.
    edited June 2020
    Some of this are a bit redundant I think, like the Sun Quan one. Not much would change, other than Cao Cao conquering the north from the split yuan family.

I actually agree.

But I felt that all these events actually fit the idea of "Chapters". Not all chapters in a book are as interesting as the others, but they all serve a purpose (in this case even if the events covered aren't really interesting or meaningful it's still a different state of the period that is represented)

But mostly the idea would be to give CA as many excuses to make new DLC's and therefore new meaningful patches with FLCs for the base game. Even if I'm being a bit (heh) of an optimist on the amount of content.

And considering I expect 3K to stay around for ... well a good 2-3 years at least. I don't think it's farfetched to expect this amount of content out of the game...
  • LoireLoire Registered Users Posts: 472
    edited June 2020
    Well, i've played almost 700 hours and counting of the game plus its chapter packs so far... Pretty good return i must say. As long as they keep improving the quality of future DLC and content, i'd have no issue buying them as long as the price is reasonable...
  • RyanLuiRyanLui Registered Users Posts: 59
    Really looking forward to 229 - The Three Kingdoms and Jin heroes. As we have none of those.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 376
    I think it’s safe to say we will probably get Guan du , chi bi and probably some Jin scenario at the very least (maybe fan castle too?) . These are important times in the three kingdoms period With Guan du being a big moment for either yuan Shao or Cao cao , chi bi is the big moment between Cao cao and wu (with Shu probably temporary vassel) as well as the crumbling of Liu biao faction going different ways , fan castle being a big moment for Shu vs wei and eventually wu and Jin being the end of Shu, wu and wei .

Hopefully with these comes needed updates (chi bi should add navel strategy phase for exsample and maybe even navel generals changing some existing ones (mainly various Liu biao and sun officers ) to work with this navel system . I look forward to see who they make unique too and what sort of mechanics they add to some kingdoms (Cao caos later eras can’t really be what he has now I mean there’s only a small amount of factions later on)
  • LoireLoire Registered Users Posts: 472
    A Chibi DLC without a naval warfare mechanic?

A Guandu DLC where Guandu is nowhere to be seen on the campaign map?

Aren't you guys assuming and expecting too much?
  • kweassa1kweassa1 Registered Users Posts: 732

Already explained a gazillion times that Chibi was hardly any kind of naval warfare, and every moment of the climax was a land battle. The amount of actual 'naval battle' happening is teeney weeney enough to depict with either an event screen, or some sort of a sub-mechanic of attrition.

The Chinese were not sea/water-faring people, and they did not really fight on rivers with ships. Ships were small-scale patrols and transportation, not a warring naval fleet.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 551
    kweassa1 said:

Already explained a gazillion times that Chibi was hardly any kind of naval warfare, and every moment of the climax was a land battle. The amount of actual 'naval battle' happening is teeney weeney enough to depict with either an event screen, or some sort of a sub-mechanic of attrition.

The Chinese were not sea/water-faring people, and they did not really fight on rivers with ships. Ships were small-scale patrols and transportation, not a warring naval fleet.

This is just wrong. Liu Biao and the Sun family were constantly committing piracy attacks against one another and having naval skirmishes. Generals like Cai Mao were valued because of their skills as an admiral. There are famous scenes in ROTK that revolve around ships and river battles (Zhuge Liang getting the arrows on his boat).

The main issue though is that autoresolving all naval battles is lame. Even if they just made a map of two ships linked together and it operated as a land battle, that would be fine.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 376
    edited June 2020
    I do agree not much navel warfare happened but a lot of it happened in battles with Liu biao and the sun family . Chi bi decisive battle was with the fire attack which I do agree could be down to what option you pick and probably would be an event . There’s quite a bit they could do with navel fights though . Like bright eyes mentioned you could have the battle field Be a load of boats chained together and fire arrows having a big effect on these fights . With also all units unmounted and limited ways to retreat . It would unlock new ways for factions to fight in such a way . Or both sides could start on a side of the river with ships (already chained up) being the way they cross to fight each other

You could have either cai mao , huang zu or both have faction mechanics around making them better at navel warfare (if both were added one could have unique units that is better in navel fights while the other could have a boost to their units morale on a navel fight . It would also give us that guy who starts as a vassel like shogun did with Tokugawa (at least I don’t think any in three kingdoms start as a vassel I may be wrong ) . There’s enough rivers in the game to warrant fighting in the water