Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Emperor escaped - really? It's been a year since release.

Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 156
The title says it all. I am shocked that this bug, because it has to be one, is still in. Unless you are the A.I. you simply can't keep the emperor as your puppet. It's so annoying that this mechanic which could be actually be expanded, is still not working.

Comments

• BAB1918BAB1918 Registered Users Posts: 238
    It's a mechanic, not a bug. However, it certainly needs to be reworked.

Also, this mechanic has not been in-game since release. It was implemented in the MOH patch.
  • HartbartHartbart Registered Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2020
    How is this thing supposed to work? I had never played Three Kingdoms before yesterday. The game's tooltips told me that whoever controlled the emperor vassalized the Han with benefits like being able to confederate Han empire. What happened was that I was forced into declaring war on everyone warring the Han as soon as I saved the emperor from the bandit queen. Afterwards the Emperor emmediately disappeared, I jumped from just having become a duke to being an emperor, with Liu Bei somehow also going from being a 2nd Marquis vassal of Cao Cao to getting a large empire on the other sde of the map and some third person I haven't met proclaiming themselves emperor too.
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 258
    Hartbart said:

How is this thing supposed to work? I had never played Three Kingdoms before yesterday. The game's tooltips told me that whoever controlled the emperor vassalized the Han with benefits like being able to confederate Han empire. What happened was that I was forced into declaring war on everyone warring the Han as soon as I saved the emperor from the bandit queen. Afterwards the Emperor emmediately disappeared, I jumped from just having become a duke to being an emperor, with Liu Bei somehow also going from being a 2nd Marquis vassal of Cao Cao to getting a large empire on the other sde of the map and some third person I haven't met proclaiming themselves emperor too.

Basically every time you vassalize a faction, other factions that are at war with your new vassal can agree to make peace or continue the war, bringing you in. This wasn't like that in the first version of the game and it was changed because some guy could just end a war instantly with you by becoming a vassal and you could do nothing about it.

There's a system in which the emperor flees to another faction with more prestige, but it seems to be bugged, because as Lu Bu I got the emperor and he's the faction that gets the most prestige in the game. I was the only Duke, yet somehow some **** like sun Ce that had only one province had more prestige than me, which is complete ****.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    It's a mechanic, not a bug. However, it certainly needs to be reworked.

I believe Whiskeyjack identified this as a bug with the Emperor automatically leaving your faction when another faction gains a faction rank.
  • ShevaTsarShevaTsar Registered Users Posts: 392
    Bug or not, it needs to be removed as it is simply wrong and stupid.

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,856
    It most definitely is a bug.

I think the way it's supposed to work is that the Emperor will only flee to factions of an equal or higher rank to the faction that currently holds him. I think it's a percentage-based chance based on the difference between the prestige points of the two factions.

So say for instance Sun Jian holds the Emperor and he is currently at the rank of Marquis. If Liu Bei is also at the rank of Marquis, and starts to overtake Sun Jian in prestige points, it will increase the chances of the Emperor fleeing to Liu Bei. If Liu Bei reaches the rank of Duke, the chances of the Emperor fleeing are greatly increased.

But what seems to be happening is that the Emperor automatically flees to another faction the moment they reach a rank equivalent to, or higher than, whoever holds him.

So if Sun Jian is a Marquis and holds the Emperor, the moment Liu Bei reaches the rank of Marquis too, the Emperor is out the door and scampers off to Liu Bei. But if another faction, say Yuan Shao or someone, reaches Marquis the very next turn, the little git buggers off again and leaves Liu Bei to join Yuan Shao.

It's buggered right now. I've instances where the Emperor will bound between 3 or 4 different protectors in the span of a dozen turns, because they're all reaching the same faction rank around the same time.
  • MrTyrannicalDictatorMrTyrannicalDictator Registered Users Posts: 12
    edited June 2020
    The Emperor is at the start under Dong Zhuo's control and no it is not a bug, the mechanic was added generally to make the Emperor appear as a de jure figurehead and essentially powerless as anyone who controls the Emperor then he remains as your puppet for the remainder of the game until you proclaim yourself emperor and force him to abdicate in which Liu Xie becomes available to recruit as a commander.

Initially the problem is the Emperor by default flees to the faction who is equivalent to or surpasses your faction rank which makes it challenging for the player if they desire to vassalize the Han Empire but that idea is virtually useless because the only benefits he brings are at the games early start as it allows you to annex territory quicker and plus you get the best economy in-game but it also means you go to war with anyone who's at war with the Han, he is just rendered useless at a late period in-game.

The problem being is the mechanic is ridiculous as it gives people no chance to use the Emperor as another warlord bar anyone who plays as Dong Zhuo plus he usually bribes your entire court which basically means your whole court is full of traitors and flees to the faction with the highest rank. Though however you can kill the Emperor as an option will pop up for Dong Zhuo to kill the Emperor or continue as PM of the Han but that has no benefits as his heir will just take over and you basically continue as PM of the Han.

It isn't a bug but it is an extremely annoying mechanic that should be removed.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,856
    edited June 2020
    From Patch 1.4.0 for Mandate of Heaven...

EMPEROR OWNERSHIP CHANGES
    The following changes have been made to when a faction owns the child Emperor:

- 1 year after first capturing the Emperor a choice will be given where you choose between being the Regent, banishing the Emperor, or killing the Emperor
    - If you choose to be Regent, every 3 years you will be asked to make the same choice
    - If you are Regent, be warned there is now a chance the Emperor can escape from you if you are a weak low-level faction as he will want to be in a stronger faction
    - If you choose to Banish the Emperor his token will be removed from the game and he will appear as a recruitable character for the Han. It will give your faction a permanent bonus to prestige as well as some hefty diplomatic penalties
    - If you Kill the Emperor he and his token are removed from the game, and gives even bigger bonuses and penalties compared to banishing the Emperor

Yes, the Emperor escaping from whoever owns him is an intended mechanic.
    No, he's not meant to be escaping the very moment someone else gets to the same faction rank as you.
    CA need to fix the bug, but the whole mechanic should also be reworked to more intuitive, impactful, and make holding the Emperor an actual useful benefit. I doubt that's ever likely to happen though.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 28,321
    There simply should have been no escape mechanic with zero interactivity. The emperor should only ever run if the settlement he's in is sacked or conquered.

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    edited June 2020
    There simply should have been no escape mechanic with zero interactivity. The emperor should only ever run if the settlement he's in is sacked or conquered.

Or if he's being extracted by a spy. Or if there is a civil war going on.