Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rank the Vampire Coast factions.

Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,583
Hi, i want to start a vampire coast game for the first time but I am undecided with which lord i should start.

How would you guys rank the LL from most fun to less fun?
How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

Comments

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,112
    edited June 15
    1. Noctilus and Luthor
    1,5. Modded Aranessa
    2. Cylostra and Aranessa

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,582
    Luthor if you don't mind being in Lustria. Noctilus if you want more freedom.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,508
    1:Cylostra
    2-3-4:Inconsequential

She´s awesome, great in battles.... glorious to behold.....And them lungs!
  • GBoneGBone Registered Users Posts: 214
    1. Noctilus
    2. Cylostra
    3. Luthor
    4. Aranessa
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 2,621
    1. Arch Commodore Luthor Harkon
    2. Count Noctilus
    3. Cylostra, Chosen of Stromfels
    4. Aranessa
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    1. Aranessa;
    2. Luthor;
    3. Cylostra;
    4. Noctilus;
    I have never enjoyed Noctilus and do not fancy the Colossus doomstacks.

Aranessa's Dogs of War units are pretty effective in the early game and she has a lot of targets to choose from.
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 3,382
    1. Noctilus. He's the most powerful and the most "free" to do whatever he wants. He's a bit on the easy side, however.

2. Luthor Harkon. He's quite challenging, since you're essentially participating in Lustriabowl.

3. Cylostra Direfin. She's quite unique, and having cavalry makes her play a bit differently from the other units.

4. Aranessa Saltspite. Barely anything unique to her. Her whole faction feels unfinished.
  • Barrel02Barrel02 Registered Users Posts: 92
    1. Luthor Harkon, can be a bit hard at the beginning, but very fun and to me the most iconic vampire coast lord
    2. Count Noctilus, pretty easy, maybe abit to easy but definitely fun
    3. Aranessa Saltspite, she's nothing really special but ok I guess
    4. Cylostra Direfin, feels overall badly implemented and designed
  • epic_159733930042E4mPIC5epic_159733930042E4mPIC5 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 36
    edited June 15
    1. Aranessa - The best waifu
    2. Cylostra - Fun despite what everyone say
    3. Luthor Harkon - If you like land pirates
    4. Count Noctilus - For kikoos
  • Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 967
    I think cylostra mainly get hate because shes not lore from GW and people are purists.
    het starting area is quite flexable and gives you different regions and enemy's to fight. only rivaled by safe mode noctulus.
    Harkon is decent but you tend to be forced to stay on lustria and fight lizardmen throughout.
    Aranessa feels not as fun and great as the others with her special units not being overly usefull throughout the game
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 540
    1. Clyostra - crazed opera singer that can summon undead knights? Yell yeah!
    2. Count Noctilus - Demigod of Death and Storms, that camps in one of the remotes spots on the map.
    3. Aranessa Saltspite - Cool appearence and abilties, but more human elements in her rooster would have improved her by a large margain
    4. Luthor Harkon - Vampire with a pistol, that thinks of himself as an jack sparrow archetype? Also he is more than any other pirate lord bound to the land, thanks to the lizardmen. Not a good thing for a pirate
  • Otters007Otters007 Registered Users Posts: 1,035
    Luthor is such an awesome lord, his voice lines are hilarious. Just a shame he has to participate in Lustria Bowl. Still a fun campaign though.
  • epic_159759330952IpzWbUFepic_159759330952IpzWbUF Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 987
    sykall said:

2. Count Noctilus - Demigod of Death and Storms, that camps in one of the remotes spots on the map.
    3. Aranessa Saltspite - Cool appearence and abilties, but more human elements in her rooster would have improved her by a large margain
    4. Luthor Harkon - Vampire with a pistol, that thinks of himself as an jack sparrow archetype? Also he is more than any other pirate lord bound to the land, thanks to the lizardmen. Not a good thing for a pirate

Harkon's character predates Jack Sparrow by a good 9 years so I think you have that backwards at best. Harkon was introduced in the 4th edition Warhammer Armies: Undead in 1994. But Harkon has 'split personalities'. About the only thing the two have in common is that they're both fictional pirate captains.

That said, and returning to the OP's question, I enjoyed Harkon's campaign the most so far. But these things are subjective. I wouldn't touch Clyostra's campaign with a 20 ft pole, so I can't speak to how enjoyable it is.

• Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 967
    Vessinger said:

sykall said:

Harkon's character predates Jack Sparrow by a good 9 years so I think you have that backwards at best. Harkon was introduced in the 4th edition Warhammer Armies: Undead in 1994. But Harkon has 'split personalities'. About the only thing the two have in common is that they're both fictional pirate captains.

That said, and returning to the OP's question, I enjoyed Harkon's campaign the most so far. But these things are subjective. I wouldn't touch Clyostra's campaign with a 20 ft pole, so I can't speak to how enjoyable it is.
    Ah the TT purist can't watch beyond what GW produces and closes their eyes to it to pretend it doesn't excists.
    so mature
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,197
    1. Noctilus. He gives you the most freedom to primarily play like a 'pirate'.... roaming the sea, setting up coves, fighting any enemies you want, hunting for treasure, not getting bogged down in repetition, and owning very little land. You can complete the entire campaign and only own the Maelstrom if you want. Or you can set up a more traditional empire, treating the Maelstrom like 'Carthage' and conquering all the coastal regions around you. His buffs to Necrofex Colossus however.....make the actual difficulty of the campaign extremely easy.

2. Cylostra. There is some bias here, as she is a tanky hybrid melee/caster, especially once she unlocks her crab, which is just a lord type I tend to favor in ANY race. Malekith, Mannfred, Mazdamundi are some of my favorite lords to use in the game, and Cylostra fits that mold. I'm less into duelist or ranged lords or caster-only lords. It was fun to really use the new 'Lore of the Deep' when it launched, and I thought her starting position was a healthy mix of diverse enemies, unique, and challenging. But if you don't like her lord-type, I could see not enjoying her as much.

3. Harkon. He has the best voice lines! And is the most 'story-driven' in his quests as you seek to repair his broken mind and restore his connection to the winds of magic. Harkon is probably the best CHARACTER. Having played Lokhir/Teclis, I felt as if I've played his starting position multiple times before, and his combat style of being a ranged duelist doesn't really interest me. His starting position is difficult, but the enemies you fight become quite repetitive after the early game. So Harkon for me wins the CHARACTER design award....but not really the CAMPAIGN design award.

4. Aranessa. The only good thing I can say about her is on Mortal Empires, she has the easiest ability to interact with the 'Old World' races as an 'enemy' set. But as a lord type I don't find her interesting. What was SUPPOSED to be here 'unique' element, with being able to recruit a hybrid 'living' AND 'undead' roster of troops was implemented in a very a shallow manner, and you won't find yourself using any of those 'living' troops beyond the early game. Every other Coast lord has some unique flavor element to their campaign, either through specializing in ethereal units, new magic spells, or a 'roaming the seas' theme, or meaningful quest battles, or SOMETHING. And Aranessa really doesn't. She's the most generic experience of the group....and she's a standard melee lord to boot. No spells. No mount. A 'snare' ability similar to Wulfrik's I guess, but nothing as flavorful as Vlad, Nakai, or Grimgor in the 'foot lord' department.
  • Horus89Horus89 Registered Users Posts: 109
    1. Noctilus
    2. Luthor
    3. Aranessa
    4. Cylostra
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Registered Users Posts: 4,339
    Noctilus
    Harkon
    Cylostra
    Aranessa
    Later
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,349
    1. Noctilus
    2. Noctilus
    3. Noctilus
    4. Luthor Harkon
    5. Luthor Harkon
    167. Aranessa
    168. Cylostra
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    1. Noctilus - Is the most fun. Has a good starting position and you need only that. Otherwise, go on and build Coves everywhere and conquer the seas.
    2. Cylostra - Lot of fun on her own but lacks the starting position of Noctilus.
    3. Harkon - Too much Lustriabowl.
    4. Aranessa - I do not play her, should have been part of DoW/Southern Realms.
    "In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,292
    Count Noctilus, the true Master of the Maelstrom! I mean just look at the guy, coolest and saltiest pirate on the high seas! The Mealstrom itself is a big plus for him aswell, nothing screams pirate demigod like your homebase being an eldritch semiconscious death vortex in the middle of the seas.

Harkon a close second, I just dont like his starting position. I would still like Noctilus more even if he had a similar start pos but cant deny that Harkon has style. I find it annoying that he doesn't have access to spells though at the start.

Cylostra for third, not much to say really, makes for a cool ethereal themed playstyle. I really dont like start pos with a minor settlement (Vortex anyways) and she feels crammed between Mazda to the south and the Dark Elves to the north.

Alanessa for fourth. I actually like the character but I feel is missplaced. Annoying playing LL for undead without spells as well.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,916
    edited June 15

Hi, i want to start a vampire coast game for the first time but I am undecided with which lord i should start.

How would you guys rank the LL from most fun to less fun?

Out of the 63 or so Legendary Lords in this game I would rank them somewhere in the high 50s and low 60s. All of them.

That said as a character I quite enjoy all of them to some degree. But would probably put Luthor Harkon at the top with Aranessa and Noctilus following and then coming in last would be Cylostra. I just cannot stand to play the actual race with it's mechanics and it's selection of units. A shame that.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 860
    Surprised to see such varied reactions here. I guess CA really hit the nail on the head and provided something for everyone.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • EmrysorEmrysor Registered Users Posts: 189
    Vessinger said:

sykall said:

Doesn't matter what predates what, Jack sparrow is way more known by the general concensus than Luthor. Therefore Luthor is a Jack Sparrow character, except for the lore purists. Nothing wrong about Luthor though he is one of the most fun characters in this game.
  • EthorinEthorin Registered Users Posts: 286
    1)Noctilus: Maximum Freedom and while a Necrofex Collosus Doomstack is definitely strong and cool with him you do have fun bonii for other stuff.
    2)Cylostra: actually interesting starting enemies that make you think
    3)Luthor: eventually gets magic, dealing with Lizards can be hard, dealing with HE is a pain
    4)Aranessa: Generica Genericus of Genericness. Even the start pos isn't enough to make up for the genericness.