Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which Dwarf Hero/Lord traits do you like?

NiteravenNiteraven Registered Users Posts: 2
So I've started a Dwarf Campaign and have been thoroughly enjoying playing them, even if they don't have a very flexible play style. I have been experimenting lately with different army compositions and seeing how effective they are against various factions and was curious to find out if other people pay attention to the traits they get on their non legendary lords and heroes or just ignore them. And if you do pay attention, which ones do you tend to gravitate towards?
Tagged:

Comments

• erza321erza321 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,350
    The generic starting Lord and Hero traits are actually better then the Dwarf specific starting traits.

Dwarf specific traits
    • Ancestral Blood Valaya: +5% Ward Save, -20% Enemy Hero Action success chance
    • Ancestral Blood Grimnir: +5 MD, +5 MA, +5% Phys Resistance
    • Ancestral Blood Grungni: -15% Construction Cost, +5% Research
    Best generic trait
    • Weapon Master: +35 AP Damage, +8 MA.
    • Strong: +15 Armour, +5 MA, +10% Strength
    • Aggressive: +8 Charge Bonus, +10% Weapon Strength
    • Tough: +25 Armour, +5 MD
    I mainly look for Runesmiths and Engineers with the Strong trait to boost their melee stats.
  • KlausTheKatKlausTheKat Registered Users Posts: 480
    Call me a cheesemonger if you will but I have had good use out of stacking the silver road with a few heroes/lords with trait - Ancestral Blood Grungni: -15% Construction Cost, +5% Research.

Add in the commandment to reduce build costs and you can build up the Silver Road/K8P/Gunbad pretty cheaply. Lets me spend more on beer troops.
  • SultschiemSultschiem Registered Users Posts: 2,349
    Stacking Ancestral Blood Grungni is indeed one of the best, given your giant research-tree, getting these boosts early/faster is really usefull (especially if you look at the buffs to BASIC units)
  • mightygloinmightygloin Registered Users Posts: 2,726

None since they seem funny after witnessing elfed traits such as these.
  • NiteravenNiteraven Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited June 27
    erza321 said:

The generic starting Lord and Hero traits are actually better then the Dwarf specific starting traits.

Dwarf specific traits

• Ancestral Blood Valaya: +5% Ward Save, -20% Enemy Hero Action success chance
    • Ancestral Blood Grimnir: +5 MD, +5 MA, +5% Phys Resistance
    • Ancestral Blood Grungni: -15% Construction Cost, +5% Research
    Best generic trait
    • Weapon Master: +35 AP Damage, +8 MA.
    • Strong: +15 Armour, +5 MA, +10% Strength
    • Aggressive: +8 Charge Bonus, +10% Weapon Strength
    • Tough: +25 Armour, +5 MD

I mainly look for Runesmiths and Engineers with the Strong trait to boost their melee stats.
    Certainly Grimnir is underwhelming, but considering I tend to use Lords and Thanes as walls more than melee powerhouses I wondered how Valaya's 5% ward save stacks up against Tough with the large armour bonus. Though I suppose dwarfs are already tanky enough and in that case the value of Strong vs Weapon Master.

You use Strong on your Engineers? I tend to keep mine in my backline with my ranged and artillery pieces to buff them, I find it more useful to buff those than have the engineer up in my melee lines.

Call me a cheesemonger if you will but I have had good use out of stacking the silver road with a few heroes/lords with trait - Ancestral Blood Grungni: -15% Construction Cost, +5% Research.

Add in the commandment to reduce build costs and you can build up the Silver Road/K8P/Gunbad pretty cheaply. Lets me spend more on beer troops.

Ah yup, it's definitely a great strategy, I use it myself on pretty much all my non embedded heroes . I was more interested in looking at the traits for an army comp though, should probably have made that more clear.
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 393
    edited June 27
    To be honest the combat ones are mostly a waste. Generic Dwarf lords and hero's are terrible in combat. The only thing they have going for them is they are tough to kill. Not really good enough to justify the combat traits...
    Maybe get away with toughness, but dwarfs are already tough, making them more hard to kill doesn't do much for utility.
    Survival isn't a problem as much as being irrelevant. Painfully slow, can't kill anything, cycle charged to death...
    No useful auras/buffs.
    You know, footlords.
    And hero's are worse, the only hero worth taking in the army is the engineer (which is very good though), the thane and runesmith don't add much. A boring slow isn't as important as taking extra units, none of his abilities are. And the thanes are a joke, gets hit by gobbo wolf riders and ends up on the opposite side of the map and has to now walk back. Slowly.
    So really the only useful hero in an army is the engineer, and he isn't going to be great in combat no matter what traits you take for him. Means by far the best trait is the construction/research one. It's going to make far more difference in the campaign than buffing footlords/hero's. Particularly already tanky ones which can't actually kill anything.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,712

result of superior breeding
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 606

result of superior breeding
    Not something a stunted midget could achieve.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,465
    I pretty much only do Runelords, since Dwarf Lords are effectively just Runelords without the Rune tree ;/

I honestly don't pay much attention once I figured out which skills are necessary and which are superflous; those superfluous ones are pretty much applicable entirely by army composition, since that means Red skill tree.

In more detail:

Most of the Blue (campaign) skills are a necessity due to their wide application to both campaign map effects (like Untainted), and indirect army-wide effects (like replenishment or resistance to corruption damage).
    While Underway interception may seem both necessary due to Orc, Skaven and occasionally Beastmen and Wood Elf enemy armies, and yet pointless since once those are gone you're fighting Chaos, Vampire or Dark Elves, they are 50/50 in terms of which points I choose on them. The same goes for Untainted since your armies are not always sitting on corrupted land, and both Encamp and Underway stances as well as besieging settlements (apart from Vampire Mist and Athel Loren regions) negates the attrition damage.

Cheesemonger, haha I like that!

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.