Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Brettonia just a joke of a faction?

2»

Comments

• BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 2,783
    The Laughing God is amused...
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,612
    Kislev isn't just based on Russia though, it's got nods from more or less all the eastern (not so much southern) Slavic nations as well as some Finnish and even Viking influences.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,649
    edited July 2020
    Bretonnia is awesome. Thread closed.

(Orange background)
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,555
    I mean, what faction isn’t a joke in Warhammer...

Lizards riding dinosaurs that shoot lasers?

Emo elves that like torturing small animals and copious amounts of fornification?

Dirty rat people that snort pixie dust?

Blonde hair and blue eyed people that think they are the world police?

A bunch of angry Germans with floppy hats?

Green soccer hooligans?

Angry alcoholic midgets?

Count Chocula ripoffs?

Death Metal Vikings with octopus tentacles growing out of them?

Hippie tree huggers?

Angry cows and goats on steroids?

It’s all part of the fun of Warhammer.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Bonutz619 said:

Emo elves that like torturing small animals and copious amounts of fornification?

Green soccer hooligans?

Angry alcoholic midgets?

Count Chocula ripoffs?

Hippie tree huggers?

You can make any universe look ridiculous if you just strain to describe it in the most ridiculous terms and your list is EXTREMELY forced. I mean "a bunch of angry Germans with floppy hats", "Count Chocula Ripoffs"? Sorry, would anyone look at the Vampire Counts and immediately go "Count Chocula!"? No, of course not.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,845
    Comedy and the ridiculous is what makes Warhammer, Warhammer.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    RikRiorik said:

Comedy and the ridiculous is what makes Warhammer, Warhammer.

But there's none of that "wink wink nudge nudge" stuff that would imply the setting isn't taking itself seriously.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    I like the bretonnia french/britain fantasy mix, the men at arms are inbred peasants they worship the Grailknights and simulating beeing the horse he rides into battle is probably pretty honorable to them.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,702
    edited July 2020

Bonutz619 said:

Green soccer hooligans?

Angry alcoholic midgets?

Count Chocula ripoffs?

Hippie tree huggers?

You can make any universe look ridiculous if you just strain to describe it in the most ridiculous terms and your list is EXTREMELY forced. I mean "a bunch of angry Germans with floppy hats", "Count Chocula Ripoffs"? Sorry, would anyone look at the Vampire Counts and immediately go "Count Chocula!"? No, of course not.
    It's both honestly. It's serious and a joke.

I completely agree with your point, but let's not also forget the narrative for WH:2 was centered around the flushing toilet bowl.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,555
    edited July 2020

Bonutz619 said:

Green soccer hooligans?

Angry alcoholic midgets?

Count Chocula ripoffs?

Hippie tree huggers?

Jesus lol. Lighten up and stop being so sensitive, Dalton. It was a humorous post.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Theres literally a group of characters ripped off from lord of the rings fellowship

So ya
    Is pretty comedic and grim at the same time
  • HelhoundHelhound Registered Users Posts: 5,213
    I feel like everyone here needs to play some Blood Bowl and chill.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,039

Mooncake said:

neodeinos said:

tballs09 said:

neodeinos said:

The "goofiness" has always been part of the setting I don't really see your point.

The goofiness is not an endearing quality in an otherwise gritty, dark game. Its out of place and a missed opportunity for an otherwise more-enjoyable faction.
    How is that out of place exactly ? That's a whole part of the identity of the setting.
    People somehow convinced themselves that warhammer is some dark and gritty and super serious setting while its actually one of the campiest and silliest fantasy settings out there.
    I'm guessing this guy is a 40k refugee or something. Fantasy has never been a setting that took itself too seriously.
    Eh, yes, it did. From at least 3rd edition on when the setting was actually given proper lore and background. Even the two races you could consider comic-relief, Skaven and Greenskins, are not really all that funny if you look at what they are actually doing to the world and the source and armybooks never fail to point that out. Is there anything tongue-in-cheek about Beastmen, who are metaphors for societal outcasts who reproduce at least partially by ****? Is there anything non-serious about the Druchii and their slave-raids that are probably a fate worse than death for whoever falls prey to them?

WHFB was grim for longer than it was not (and even for the first two edtions, Kemmler and his non-funny antics were one of the first major campaign backgrounds, the guy's named after Heinrich Himmler fer crissakes!). Same for 40k, which dropped most of its funny excentric elements after Rogue Trader with 2nd edition.
    Everything that is dark is so ridiculously over the top that you cant possibly take it seriously. Look at the warriors of chaos, they are basically death metal cover art. Anyone that takes warhammer seriously is missing the point.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 35,256
    Yes Bretonnia is just a joke. The only race that is more ridiculous are Halflings.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
    ArneSo said:

Yes Bretonnia is just a joke. The only race that is more ridiculous are Halflings.

personally, dark elves makes no sense at all
  • epic_1597952609284Ly7qlkepic_1597952609284Ly7qlk Registered Users Posts: 115
    What's forgot to be mentioned is that bretonnia fires cows as siege defence, another monty python reference lol
  • Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,177

Prkl8r said:

Aesthetically Bretonnia is by far the most appealing to me. They have a far more interesting aesthetic than the Empire imo with brighter colors and more unique designs.

Lore wise Grail Knights are demigods themselves and stronger than basically any other human combatants (not that the game reflects that lore).

Demigods? Haha, you went to far, Grail apologist. They have extended lifetimes and sobrenatural strength and resistance, but certainly they aren't demigods. Ariel could be seen as a demigod, Orion too. Krakanrok the Black could be seen as a demigod. Some others avatars of the gods like Alarielle or Archaon could also be demigods. Be'lakor was possibly a demigod before losing his powers.

That category is not something light to say about mere mortals with extended powers. They are in the category of Chaos Warriors or even Chosen, but not demigods. The only clare case of demigods that I know are Aenarion and Snorri Whitebeard. Gotrek is the only living being that it's currently in the path to become a demigod, but he isn't yet. During the End Times, Malekith became a demigod after passing through the Phoenix Flames, while Tyrion became also a demigod after taking the Widowmaker.

About the topic, I like the aesthetician of Bretonnia, and I love the Grail reiliques. They fit very well in my opinion, and things like those were often seen during the medieval crusades.
    In the lore, each grail knight has to quest to find the grail and culminates in a duel with the Green Knight. They have to win to become a Grail Knight. The Green Knight or Gilles le Breton was the founder of Bretonnia and the original Grail Knight who formed the Grail Companions. Those 13 Grail knights basically carried any battle they were in and single handedly killed armies worth of enemies. The fact that each grail knight has to beat that in a duel implies to me that each grail knight is at least some level of demigod, as the original 13 are definitely considered demigods.

Obviously the game and tt rules have never reflected what the lore states.

What's forgot to be mentioned is that bretonnia fires cows as siege defence, another monty python reference lol

Thats real life lol
    Disease ridden cow is a good biological weapon
  • epic_1597952609284Ly7qlkepic_1597952609284Ly7qlk Registered Users Posts: 115
    Into the city not outside surely

Into the city not outside surely

lol might as since you dont want it in your city. might as well give it to your enemy
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,612

Actually, corpses of all sorts were hurled both in and out of settlements under siege as a way to cause demoralization and plague.

Something a lot of people overlook is that a siege camp around a settlement was not exactly the most sanitary and posh environment. It was usually a muddy wreck of ramparts and ditches, spikes and barricades. Shelter was primarily tents. Sanitation techniques of the middle ages were pretty atrocious. Latrines were haphazardly placed. And frankly most people just weren't very clean. Add to that constant stress, attacks from both sides, spilled viscera and blood, a variety and plethora of open wounds, bugs, scavenging animals, and so on.........

When back in Rome 2 the army laying siege also took attrition - that was actually correct. The folks that hated it and demanded a means to completely mitigate it are just living in a dream world.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,414
    tballs09 said:

neodeinos said:

The "goofiness" has always been part of the setting I don't really see your point.

The goofiness is not an endearing quality in an otherwise gritty, dark game. Its out of place and a missed opportunity for an otherwise more-enjoyable faction.
    It wasn't a gritty, dark game.

The Grimderpocalypse only happened in 6th Edition. 5th Edition Bretonnia is a high fantasy faction, with Camelot, Robin Hood, and Jean d'Arc thrown into the mix. The High Elves and Dwarfs may be in decline, but the Empire is an ascendant force with the common man rising up to fight the good fight and prevail over the forces of evil. Along with a madman who has a horse for an advisor. The setting had it's darkest days in the distant past, with the present being an affluent, peaceful period by comparison.

Orcs and Goblins are practically a gag faction, filled with jokes. Skaven are a comedic empire filled with crazy inventions that explode, where everyone is a backstabber and nothing is ever accomplished because they constantly murder each other. Lizardmen aren't much better, just look at the names, Tic-Tac-Toe anyone? Malekith, along with porking his own mother, is some kind of death metal meme edgelord, ruling over a nation of homicidal maniacs that go on ten day long ritual murder sprees once a year. There are jokes galore, and they poke fun at loads of stereotypes.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,473
    Posts removed. Discuss this thread's topic folks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.