Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Beastmen HQ

DenyiDenyi Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello,

I am currently playing campaign as Beastmen after a long time and I get anxiety watching my two poor hordes slip past 3, 4, 5, even 6 enemy armies that are locked-on to me, hoping not to get wiped by them which would make me lose the campaign.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a base of operations as Beastmen similar to Galleon's graveyard (middle of nowhere, "invinsible" to AI). Perhaps making a new one settlement province Drakwald forest/Forest of Shadow/some other beastmen location, where you have your Beastmen camp that lets you recruit new Lords and Heroes. It could also spread corruption and provide global recruitment options (similar to Nakai). There could also be events tied to this settlement if form of "invasions", like local huntsmen trying to get rid of you, Wood Elf hunt or Boris coming for the second eye.

Or maybe having an option to defile WE settlements. I was going south in my campaing to Oreons Camp until I realized it was basically a waste of time and resources (and also Queek was hunting me with two armies because it was all part of his plan-scheme, yes-yes).

TLDR: Make horde campaing less stressful and anxiety inducing by providing a "checkpoint" for the player.

What do you think? Would you like this idea in some form or shape or am I just too paranoid about losing my precious children of chaos?

Comments

• ChesterMcGirrChesterMcGirr Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    SFO beastmen are actually satisfying if you can beat the vamp counts to the destruction of the empire provinces. Makes beastmen actually feel powerful in campaign.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,450
    We've discussed before the inclusion of a new type of biome/climate called "Deep Forest" (not to be confused with Magical Forest), which would offer special movement and settlement options for Wood Elves, Beastmen, and possibly Vampire Counts and (variants of) Greenskins (like Leaf Cuttaz, etc.).

It would help to turn the Empire into a bit more of a swiss cheese that it's actually supposed to be, and could help with some other issues (retreat position for Beastmen after being defeated instead of just instant defeat overall, motivation for WElfs to travel the land more for other reasons than just raiding, nre Vampire Count start positions such as Zacharias the Everliving, etc..), but would undoubtedly bring issues of their own.
  • ardeathwingardeathwing Registered Users Posts: 112
    Well there must be a BM overhaul anyway, so let's see what will CA come up with.
    I'd rather it be something unique than a copy paste of Vampire Coast or Nakai mechanincs.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,148

We've discussed before the inclusion of a new type of biome/climate called "Deep Forest" (not to be confused with Magical Forest), which would offer special movement and settlement options for Wood Elves, Beastmen, and possibly Vampire Counts and (variants of) Greenskins (like Leaf Cuttaz, etc.).

It would help to turn the Empire into a bit more of a swiss cheese that it's actually supposed to be, and could help with some other issues (retreat position for Beastmen after being defeated instead of just instant defeat overall, motivation for WElfs to travel the land more for other reasons than just raiding, nre Vampire Count start positions such as Zacharias the Everliving, etc..), but would undoubtedly bring issues of their own.

Personally I like the idea of this mechanic being Beastmen exclusive, and being less of a biome and more like a hidden settlment that can be built in areas otherwise inaccessible to other races, like patches of deep forest. These patches of deep forest would then become interactable; you'd click on one like you would with a ruin, to search it and either get a reward, a random encounter of some sort, or discover a Beastmen hideout.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 1,756
    Let them settle, separate them by factions, add a new LL with some units. That’s the rework.
    Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!

Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo

Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!

• bolero567bolero567 Registered Users Posts: 75
    edited July 15
    The WE outpost mechanic actually fits Beastmen better than Wood Elves imo. It's never felt right that the isolationist WE are incentivised to conquer that widely. I feel like the WE campaign should be built around Sacking the same way the Chaos Warriors campaign is built around Razing. Wood Elves feel like they are better suited to building tall with few settlements imo, going out on wild hunts to sack/raze other factions settlements.

Beastmen could have their normal Herdstone mechanics for most settlement types. For Magical Forests and a new "Deep Woods" settlement type there could be a "Greater Herdstone" mechanic similar to the WE current outpost system. Magical Forests having potent buffs to incentivise going against the WE. So as Beastmen you'd really want those "outposts" for stacking growth/income/corruption etc buffs. These outposts would serve as respawn points for your hordes but couldn't field armies themselves. Hopefully they would have strong but not invincible garrisons so you wouldn't have to babysit them too much.

Gamewide I think it's too easy to colonise inhospitable terrain types. Locking the ability to inhabit these terrain types behind early or mid-game technologies would force gaps in your empire, incentivise sacking and razing as options early game, prevent Bretonnia from taking over Norsca early game etc

Imagine as Empire having these Deep Woods settlements throughout your territory that you can't colonize (yet) but are potential spawn points for Beastmen hordes until you clear the garrison and raze.
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 290
    I bought Beastmen in the last sale, and though i love this game and am one of those that defend it endlessly, that DLC is just not worth any money whatsoever. I happen to think that all the rest are great value (except chaos). There is a place in my heart for the woodelves.

Whether this or something else. This must be fixed. Its just so awful compartively to everything else. BM, then chaos, then Norsca, simply dont offer any fun for me.

Nor do Lizardmen, at all. But i can accept thats a matter of preference.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,070
    edited July 15
    The Beastmen need to have the fort mechanic from Empire: Total War to erect Herdstones as pseudo-settlements that they can respawn at.