Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Next DLC: A lost opportunity

2»

Comments

• Rubz2293Rubz2293 Registered Users Posts: 390
    edited August 2020
    Didn't CA say this is the last DLC for 2? Haha **** you Beastmen.

Edit: Geez 2 flags? Can't you people recognize sarcasm or a joke?
    Post edited by Rubz2293 on
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,737
    Dwarfs really don’t fit on the vortex map, they should get 2 crossovers in WH3
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • darkgaia01darkgaia01 Registered Users Posts: 367
    looks like someone got sucked into the forum hype that the next dlc would be dwarf vs skaven and now crying
  • ReghisReghis Registered Users Posts: 953
    ArneSo said:

Thorek vs Neferata and Malakai vs Chaos Dwarf xy would be my wish
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,345
    Next are Skaven (probably, 80%+) but just a week ago more people would bet on BM more than WE....so surely do we know?

If CA is able to scrap something for WE (unit wise!!!!) and this DLC is success, we will probably see BM vs DE (yeah, they will be able to find something in such case as well :) )

Yeah, Dwarfs lost in Wh2, however losers of today are winners of tomorrow. Imagine quality jump between Wh1 and Wh2 factions and now estimate jump into Wh3. There will be tons of evil opponents in Wh3 and Dwarfs might see double LP who knows...but one thing is sure, Wheel of time will move again and Dwarfs will shine.

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"
  • LunaticprinceLunaticprince Registered Users Posts: 3,006
    Rubzy said:

Didn't CA say this is the last DLC for 2? Haha **** you Beastmen.

Maybe they change there mind, they mean two more dlc before grom and the paunch was announce, but also not set in stone.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,421
    edited August 2020
    It’s not confirmed Skaven will be in this one and we could see Klawmunkast vs Dwarfs :-)
    Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,809
    edited August 2020
    Nyxilis said:

I mean, at this point if they do want to do a dwarf LP as a crossover might as well save it for game 3 and throw them up against the Chaos Dwarves. It's every bit as deserved as a skaven vs dwarf one.

To be fair the Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs don't actually have a rivalry.

The Dwarfs simply refuse to acknowledge their existence.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,426
    edited August 2020
    Aye especially as Dwarfs were waiting on rune system and runic upgrades on units since dawn of time and the latter was given to Greenskins out of blue as if there were no other ways to update them. And now the best rivalry is likely gone as well.

But they probably wanted to not bite more than they can chew so combined their update with DLC meanwhile testing DLC for DLC stuff.
    ArneSo said:

You know that is a pipe dream especially when there will be too many factions in game 3. At best a DLC + FLC.

Nyxilis said:

I mean, at this point if they do want to do a dwarf LP as a crossover might as well save it for game 3 and throw them up against the Chaos Dwarves. It's every bit as deserved as a skaven vs dwarf one.

It’s still a very fitting matchup. The Clegane bowl of the WH world
    Reghis said:

ArneSo said:

Thorek vs Neferata and Malakai vs Chaos Dwarf xy would be my wish
    Would love that!

With LPs for DLC races being a thing now, the next step in WH3 should be to make LPs with 2 races from previous games.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 2,015

Next DLC: A lost opportunity

No, a DLC including the runtscum would be a massively wasted opportunity. They are the most boring faction to play as or against - a turtle based army that just relies on ranged and predominantly heavy infantry. Never mind the fact that several of their units make absolutely no sense based on the supposed origins and activities of the race itself.

In an effort to make them less boring CA gave them a ridiculous speed buff - they should be crawling across the battlefield like the snails they are but CA have given them the ability to outpace elves when broken!

There is an old saying, which is particularly apt for the runts:

don't throw good money after bad!

Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 2,022
    Oh, Dwarfs fans complaining again. Dwarfs, where is the love? Isn't it?Because Dwarfs vs Greenskins was a logic match-up. Skavens vs Dwarfs? It's logical too! And Dwarfs vs Chais Dwarfs? Hell yes!

And now the mechanics, because Dwarfs getting the Forge seemed logical. But they could get the scrap system too. Ah! and a proper dwarf exclusive mechanic is needed too.

Dwarfs are on a decent spot, behind Empire and Greenkins, but on level with everybody else and they still have more lords than any of the 1st game DLC races, so they can still wait a bit more.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 1,385
    While I agree to a certain degree I must ask, does the rivalry actually matter that much? When I play as Alarielle I care about Hellebron the same I care about any other dark elf faction, when I play as Tehenhauin I dont focus on destroying clan Skryre. The DLCs could be swapped (hellebron vs Tehenhauin and Alarielle vs Ikit) and it wouldnt affect my gameplay at all.

If we end up having both clan Moulder and whatever dwarf lord you want, does it really matter if they come in the same DLC or not?
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 10,674
    Look at that, someone jumped on the hype train of an unlikely DLC and is now disappointed.

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,227
    Dwarfs will get their time in the sunshine again when Malakai Makaisson and Thanquol go toe to toe in Daemonslayer 2.0 - The DLC. Or when Thorek Ironbrow goes toe to toe with the Dawi Zharr.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 26,809
    ArneSo said:

Nyxilis said:

It’s still a very fitting matchup. The Clegane bowl of the WH world
    Oh definitely. It makes perfect sense for an LP.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 516
    I think CA is wrapping up what makes sense in lustria. It's already a worry that WH3 might be dry on order factions so I can easily see that being a reason to hold out on some Dawi and BM / WoC.

Even though I like dwarfs a bit more I'm really happy DLC races won't be stuck with such an empty LL roster so TBH I have a hard time seeing this as anything negative.
  • tkoshy686tkoshy686 Registered Users Posts: 19
    I do agree that a DLC that introduced the dwarfs to the vortex had considerable room within the lore/campaign to be implemented.

Narrative campaign DLC: There is a surprising amount of lore that can justify the dwarfs getting a 'vortex-style' DLC. There can be:

Bugman's revenge: In the vein of Shadow of Mordor games, this focuses on Bugman's quest to avenge himself, rescue his clan and reforge the Bugman's brewery. Starting out in the Western Provinces, Bugman must build up a network of allies and informants, either by helping them with their quest battles, serving as mercenaries or selling them the lucrative bugman's brew (a resource on par with oathgold, in that it can be slowly replenished via building or heroes....with the cost that bugman breweries become a magnets for enemy armies/heroes), whilst taking down/interrogating orc/skaven lieutenants in order to finally locate his old nemeies - Git Guzzler (who is trying to flood the old world with counterfeit Bugman Brew and is holding the remaining Bugman clan as slaves)

Awaken the Golems: In the vein of the Vampire Coast DLC, a la a mini-treasure hunt, Thorek Ironbrow must seek out the lost dawi holds from the old dwarf empire, from regions as far as Norsca, ancient Nehekarra, the forgotten/secret tombs of fallen dwarf-slaves in Naggarond to the mythical karaks of the Soutlands/Lustira - with the goal of acquiring enough gromril, runes and vengeance-laden oathgold in order to rewaken the ancient Rune Golems to protect the dwarfs from something that menaces from the east/southlands (i.e. taking a page from Flamboyant's excellent Chaos Dwarf invasion and the swarm of ratmen that rise from the southlands during the End Times). Each 'stage' involves forging oathgold and gromri in a ritual that will bring the attentions of Chaos and Nagash's minions who seek these ancient rune-machines for themselves...with reward of one vengeful Rune-Golem sworm to avenge the dwarfs, finally culminating in a final battle where the dwarfs take part in a brutal three-way battle involving the Everwatcher, Nagash's minions, slavering skaven in the still smouldering ruins of Karak Draka.

The Slayer's Saga:
    Malakai Makaisson has finally received an offer of a glorious death, redemption and failing that - a seat at the Engineer's Guild!. Tasked by the inscrutable Kragg the Grim to eliminate key hostile individuals, in order to prevent the "time of ending" - Makaisson must travel the globe in a possible doomed endeavour to frustrate the machinations of the Chaos and the Skaven. Makaisson will have to travel to Lustria, in his floating castle/workshop that can be attacked/destroyed by his enemies, yet can create some of the most outlandish/destructive weapons for the dwarfs (i.e. in the vein of Cataph's excellent Norse Dwarfs mod). Makaisson will have to face-off against legendary lords such as Morathi (she who destroyed the Vortex), Deathmaster Sniktch (he who assassinated the High Kind), Nefereta ('stole' Valaya's power), Manfred (we all know why) and finally the Everchosen himself. Killing each lord/their lieutenants will grant Makaisson increased favour form the Dwarf High King/Holds who will increase their trade and will even send over volunteer units to aid the Slayer Engineer's quest (a la Wulfhart's Expedition).

TLDR:
    There is space for Dawi, narrative-focused DLCs, that involve Bugman's revenge (a la Shadow of Morder), awakening the legendary Rune Golems (a la Vampire Coast) or the the Saga of Makaisson as he brings his workshop and slayer-corp to bear on a select group of individuals
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,607

Please, do not get me wrong. The Wood Elves needed an overhaul, probably more so than any other faction. And while I'm not angry that the next TW:WH2 DLC will feature the Wood Elves, I am disappointed that it seems the Dwarfs are left out in the Chaos Wastes once again.

In a game that features the Skaven, a race so bitterly hated by the Dwarfs, why are the Dawi denied their turn to face off against the Ratmen in Total War: Warhammer 2's the Eye of the Vortex campaign? It really is a shame. I say this under the assumption that the next DLC will likely feature Wood Elves and Skaven. That pairing seems far more interesting than WE v. Dark Elves or WE v. Lizardmen. I'm not even including High Elves in the equation because they just had DLC. If there is another content pack after this Wood Elf-featured one, it will likely focus on Beastmen or Norsca. Both factions are unlikely to face off against the Dwarfs and, even if they did, I don't find the match-up appealing in the same way as Dwarfs v. Skaven.

TW:WH2 simply screamed for a Dawi v. Ratmen lord pack, and it seems very likely that this won't happen in the game's life cycle. It's unlikely to happen in the next game either since neither race is considered a "core" race for that game.

I keep wondering why CA chose to feature the WE in this next pack. I don't think it had to do with the faction needing an overhaul. They could have just uplifted them as part of the free content update, but not included them in the Eye of the Vortex campaign; much like how they did the Dwarfs and their update in May 2018. For people owning both Warhammer games and the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC, CA could have just awarded those loyal customers with a free legendary Wood Elf lord. That likely would have appeased what few WE players there are while motivating more to purchase the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC to get the free lord along with Orion and Durthu.

Another reason to scratch your head about Wood Elves getting the DLC love is their army roster is pretty much set. Other than a War Dancer hero and the Spellweaver general, there isn't anything else. Not unless you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel (Zoats) or simply making up new stuff just for the heck of it. Meanwhile, Dwarfs have units like Doomseekers, Rune Guardians, Daemon Slayers, the Gronti-Duraz, Shard Dragons, and several other units and features (runemaking) that haven't seen the game yet.

Since Clan Moulder is the Skaven faction most likely to get featured in the next DLC, led by Throt the Unclean, I'm even more disappointed. Throt is such an excellent nemesis for currently absent Dwarf lords like Thorek Ironbrow, Grimm Burloksson, or Malakai Makaisson.

Throt v. Ariel? Throt v. Drycha? It just doesn't appeal to me.

All this plus the Dwarfs have not received a new legendary lord since February 2017! That's when Grombrindal was made available to everyone as a FLC. And before you think it, no, Gotrek does not count. Between Feb. 2017 and today, we've seen game one factions like Empire, Greenskins, Bretonnia, and soon Wood Elves receive new lords. And unlike Empire, Bretonnia, Greenskins, and Wood Elves, when the Dwarfs received their much-needed update in 2018, they didn't get a new lord to accompany that fix!*

Yes, this slight against the Dawi is most certainly recorded in the Great Book of Grudges.

It seems like a massive lost opportunity on CA's part. When last I checked, Dwarfs had the second most Steam achievements in game one behind only the Empire. How could such a popular faction get shutout of Total War: Warhammer 2? A game that features their bitter enemy (Skaven) as a core race. I think it likely we will see a Dwarfs DLC in the third game, likely pairing them against the Chaos Dwarfs. But something like that is probably at least two years away. That is an awful long time to neglect such a popular faction.

It is certainly possible I'm wrong on all this, but I don't think I am when it comes to Dawi v. Skaven getting a lord pack in TW:WH2. That Thunderbarge has sailed, and it is a shame.

*Vampire Counts received a game two facelift without a new lord for the The Eye of the Vortex campaign. However, that faction already had five legendary lords.

You said it, wait for the chaos dwarves and you-ll see lots of new Dwarf factions aded to fight them.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

If you are not liking the new races/game:
    Then don't buy it you dummy, who forces you to buy it or write here? just shut up and move on with your life and other games.

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,891
    Its not that they correctly predicted it. Its that CA read the comments during the SK vs DE DLC and decided to make the following LP match those expectations. Tail waging the Dog if you will.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,389

Itharus said:

tl:dr:

"I'm mad my favorite race didn't get the DLC this round."

Lol, well the solution is to make your favourite race be Skaven and then you always win! :p
    Laugh in high elves and lizard men 6th LL.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,972

Nyxilis said:

This is not true at all. The only reason there isn't more direct conflict between the two is distances of their territories with the main dwarves having little ability to project power as they are constantly under siege by GS and Skaven. But the Chaos Dwarves openly hate their cousins with a burning passion and regular dwarves are kill on site.
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 305
    neodeinos said:

Look at that, someone jumped on the hype train of an unlikely DLC and is now disappointed.

Actually, I was unaware there was a "hype train" for a Dwarf DLC, but that further illustrates the point that Dwarfs are very popular yet are ignored for new content for over 3 years.

As my OP states, I'm disappointed that Dwarfs did not get a lord pack in TW: Warhammer 2. Since this is likely the last lord pack, it highlights the missed opportunity.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 10,674

neodeinos said:

Actually, I was unaware there was a "hype train" for a Dwarf DLC, but that further illustrates the point that Dwarfs are very popular yet are ignored for new content for over 3 years.

As my OP states, I'm disappointed that Dwarfs did not get a lord pack in TW: Warhammer 2. Since this is likely the last lord pack, it highlights the missed opportunity.
    I want more content for the Dwarfs too but CA making content for the DLC races before is only a logical decision. Dwarfs received a rework during the WH2 DLC cycle while the DLC races are still waiting for their reworks. Obviously they don't have to include those races in a lord pack but from what they have done in the past it seems that they are including in a lord pack the races that need the most largest reworks so it was one of the most logical choices.

I'm sure Dwarfs will get another lord pack in the future, most likely in Warhammer 3, you have to wait a little longer but it's honestly not that bad. I think the Dwarfs would fit so much more in WH3 instead of WH2. The third game will have a lot more potential for Dwarf content.

• LolTHELolLolTHELol Registered Users Posts: 1,090
    Beastmen, Wood Elves and Chaos basically got nothing in game 2. It is about time they get some love. Both DW and VC got their updates. Their updates were definitely worse compared to what Empire and GS got but both GS and Empire had to wait ages for their updates.

DW are in a such a good place. WE on the other hand are basically not playable.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,227

neodeinos said:

If there had been a Lord Pack for the Dwarfs a long time ago I would have been excited. But as is I’d rather wait for TWW3 and a more fresh experience. ME and the Vortex and TWW2 itself is a little on the tried and tested side for me personally.

Also I’m not really in the ”completionist” crowd. The Dwarfs are pretty much done in my opinion so I’m not really hankering after new units. New Lords and starting positions and even mechanics yes but not units. I’m more than content seeing a lot of races that feel more unfinished have their time in the spotlight or see new races added. Which is why the prospect of seeing yet another Skaven added isn’t terribly exciting either. Nor any of the other core TWW2 races.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Kannabyss420Kannabyss420 Registered Users Posts: 35
    It has probably been brought up in previous posts, but the only Dwarf vs Chaos Dwarf battle that was quite big in the lore was a battle in a White Dwarf magazine (pretty sure it was actually issue 200), where the White Dwarf seeks to destroy the nefarious "Black Dwarf", A Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer who is effectively immortal whilst his "Black Anvil" exists.

The army was lead by some rando Dwarf lord, who was providing the distraction needed whilst the White Dwarf and some lads commando'd their way past enemy lines to destroy the unholy artefact. I remember it being a pretty cool battle scenario, but it was made I think because to celebrate the 200th edition. The Black Dwarf was kind of made up on the spot I believe, as a nemesis of the White Dwarf, and wasn't in any army book. (maybe apart from a mention in a text blurb square)
    I could google these things but I am at work and CBF.

Apart from that, they could definitely still implement both in a DLC, and it would be pretty apt, and cool AF. Yes, dwarves need some love, and could probably do so before they bring out the third instalment, but my guess is that CA have them lined up for something else in the meantime.