Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lords of Athel Loren

DubinekdubajsDubinekdubajs Registered Users Posts: 1,326
Suprisingly, there are none of lords of Athel Loren playable at the moment. Unlike High Elves and Dark Elves who have playable lords of their kingdoms and citystates. Those are Eltharion ruling prince of Yvresse, Imrik ruling prince of Caledor, Alarielle monarch of Avelorn, Alith Anar ruling prince of Nagarythe, Malus Darkblade ruling Dreadlord of Hag Graef, Crone Hellebron ruling monarch of Har Ganeth, Morathi ruling monarch of Ghrond and Malekith ruling monarch of Naggarond. This might be changed in upcoming DLC, but I doubt that very much as everyone is favoring Ariel, Sisters or Drycha, which is resonable as these characters are important to the lore and story of Wood Elves. Still I hope that we shall see the three lords of Athel Loren that were playable on TT during its lifecycle.
For those unawere who these guys are:

Araloth, Lord of Talsyn
Personal champion of Queen Ariel and current Glade Lord of Talsyn. He was first introduced in the 8th edition and he became important during the event known as End Times. He got his own TT model and is the most likely of the three to appear in TWW.

Thalandor Doomstar, Lord of Argwylon
Cool dude riding even cooler Eagle. His realm is currently under the oppression of "Tree Hitler" Durthu, but where is will there is a way, so maybe Durthu could be moved and get himself a cool new faction, while Thalandor would get Argwylon back. He has a beef with Ungrim, because dwarfs and their thousand years old grudges. I am not sure if he ever had a TT model, but warhammer wiki, which is on occasions quite an unreliable source, lists this as his model:

But I much prefer fan creation by Effcee

Last and certainly least likely addition:
Sceolan of the Hooked Blade, Lord of Atylwyth
Sceolan is sadly as generic a Glade Lord as you can get, but with Alberic and Helman in the game, he cannot be swept under the table. He is said to be the oldest and most cunning of the wood elven warriors and he uses buckler and the bow of loren, which might make for a cool model. He has no artwork or TT model, but he leads the coolest of the Wood Elven realms. Atylwyth is locked in permantent winter and so he has to rely on just elven part of the wood elf roster as the forest spirits of Atylwyth are in eternal slumber. And truth be told, his army colours are just the coolest WElves can get.

That sweet icy blue B)
He also participated in the End Times, so I guess he was not that unimportant.

So what are your opinions on these three rulers of Athel Loren and do want them in the game? If I could have them all over Drycha, I would not hasitate a moment. If I could choose just one, I would go with Thalandor as cool Eagle riding LL is something WElves could use. I hope that we will see at least two before all is set and done.

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"

I used to be crazycrix, then Epic happened 😀

Comments

• bolero567bolero567 Registered Users Posts: 79
    crazycrix said:

cool Eagle riding LL is something WElves could use.

I agree, hope we see a wood elf Tik'Tak'To sometime within the trilogy.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 3,619
    Amadri Ironbark!

• brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 551
    The most likely is the first that you have mentioned but the third is the one that in my opinion seems most interesting. A veteran elf in his last years (for an elf it can be centuries) with cold-related mechanics with a campaign much more focused in resource management and the use of limited units in number and options ... it could be an interesting thing to see. Although this should also be seen in Kislev but as a prototype in order to test the mechanics they will use in Kislev it could work.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,714
    I'd really like to see both of them. Araloth might not come across as spectacular but I really like him sometimes a variant of a Glade Lord could be cool. Look at Alastar, uses an axe but he actually just adds more flavour.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 1,460
    Unless they come as part of the old world update they are not happening
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 13,068
    The only real Rulers of Athel Loren are:
    - Ariel: the Queen of Athel Loren
    - Orion: the King of Athel Loren
    - Sisters of Twilight: Princesses of Athel Loren
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,466
    Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

That guy was always cool
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 3,619
    Although I don't really want any of these, it would be amazing if they added melee weapon variants for the glade lords
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,884
    God I hope we don't get Araloth.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,808
    I think Araloth is more interesting than what many people give him credit for, within the wood elf roster especially. People say he is just a gladelord, but he is actually very different. Heavily armoured and shielded but with no bow, I see him as a wood elf Gor-rok. His TT stats were also really good, he is literally the only elf with 5 attacks on his profile, by stats alone he is the best elf fighter after Tyrion.

Ariel and the sisters of twilight should be first as they are way more interesting, but he is a good option for a future FLC lord.
  • DubinekdubajsDubinekdubajs Registered Users Posts: 1,326
    ArneSo said:

The only real Rulers of Athel Loren are:
    - Ariel: the Queen of Athel Loren
    - Orion: the King of Athel Loren
    - Sisters of Twilight: Princesses of Athel Loren

This is where you are wrong. Both Oak of Ages and King’s Glade are part of Talsyn, so part of Araloth’s realm, which makes him a thorn in other lords’ s side. Orion takes the mantle of the king, but he cares little for politics, he leads the wild hunt, when he turns everywhere around him to savages and most of the lords fear him. True power lies with Ariel and the Glade Council, which is made out of lords I listed. Ariel might have the final word during the decition making, but she scarcely, if at all, makes decitions concerning other lords’ and ladies’ realms. Sisters are queen heralds and had the strongest word during Ariel’s absence, which was for 300 hundred years or so, but now Ariel is back and Sisters are her “errand boys” maximum, as they have no power over any part of Athel Loren except their home in the mountains. They have the queen’s voice, but that is to be expected as they are her essence.

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"

brago90 said:

The most likely is the first that you have mentioned but the third is the one that in my opinion seems most interesting. A veteran elf in his last years (for an elf it can be centuries) with cold-related mechanics with a campaign much more focused in resource management and the use of limited units in number and options ... it could be an interesting thing to see. Although this should also be seen in Kislev but as a prototype in order to test the mechanics they will use in Kislev it could work.

Did not expect anyone wanting old good Sceolan. I also like veteran like of characters and his realm is just too cool to miss. Let’s hope that one day, we will be able to play as him.

I think Araloth is more interesting than what many people give him credit for, within the wood elf roster especially. People say he is just a gladelord, but he is actually very different. Heavily armoured and shielded but with no bow, I see him as a wood elf Gor-rok. His TT stats were also really good, he is literally the only elf with 5 attacks on his profile, by stats alone he is the best elf fighter after Tyrion.

Ariel and the sisters of twilight should be first as they are way more interesting, but he is a good option for a future FLC lord.

I do agree, that Araloth should come eventually, as he is important figure in the End Times and, as you said, he would make for an interesting and devasteting melee fighter.

Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

Is he somehow important to the story? 😀 Have not yet met him in any written works from Warhammer universe, except the Armybook of course.

• lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 4,731
    edited August 5
    crazycrix said:

Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

Is he somehow important to the story? 😀 Have not yet met him in any written works from Warhammer universe, except the Armybook of course.
    He’s the lord of arranoc, the eternal Summer land, where he feeds guests and then send them to sacrifice to arcane ancient powers
    edited August 5
    lucibuis said:

crazycrix said:

Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

He’s the lord of arranoc, the eternal Summer land, where he feeds guests and then send them to sacrifice to arcane ancient powers
    Yeah, that’s from the armybook if I recall correctly, but was there written anything else about him? Does he participate in the end times? Wood elves are just the weirdest race there is. Some are feeding dryads with guests, many a nobel has stolen human children as slaves and has them made immortal to forever serve him as children... They go on a wild hunt where they are turned into primitives, no better than animals and even nobels do act like animals in the presence of Orion in Summer. I must say they are certainly the most interesting of the three elven races.

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,291
    Give me Coeddil, the Lord of the Wildwood, and watch the world burn.

That said. That sweet ice blue indeed.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 923
    Would say it would ruin my year if we got a lame Glade Lord reskin over unique lords but it is 2020 so my year has been ruined for a while now.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 923
    RikRiorik said:

Give me Coeddil, the Lord of the Wildwood, and watch the world burn.

That said. That sweet ice blue indeed.

Why not have Drycha be the legendary lord and as a campaign mechanic have her goal be to awaken Coeddil? Coeddil could be an end game reward and the goal of her campaign would be to take out Talsyn?
    crazycrix said:

lucibuis said:

crazycrix said:

Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

Yeah, that’s from the armybook if I recall correctly, but was there written anything else about him? Does he participate in the end times? Wood elves are just the weirdest race there is. Some are feeding dryads with guests, many a nobel has stolen human children as slaves and has them made immortal to forever serve him as children... They go on a wild hunt where they are turned into primitives, no better than animals and even nobels do act like animals in the presence of Orion in Summer. I must say they are certainly the most interesting of the three elven races.
    I don't remember if it's in the Army Book or not, but what makes him cool is that he's a dead elf who re-incarnated as a Tree-Kin but still rules a kingdom. I think in the End Times he and a lot of the other Tree-Kin died defending the Council of Incarnates from Khorne's Blood Hunt
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 7,217
    Retcon araloth from wh fantasy his sins are too grave.

Sponsored by knights unions.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    edited August 5
    crazycrix said:

lucibuis said:

crazycrix said:

Pocman said:

Amadri Ironbark!

Yeah, that’s from the armybook if I recall correctly, but was there written anything else about him? Does he participate in the end times? Wood elves are just the weirdest race there is. Some are feeding dryads with guests, many a noble has stolen human children as slaves and has them made immortal to forever serve him as children... They go on a wild hunt where they are turned into primitives, no better than animals and even nobles do act like animals in the presence of Orion in Summer. I must say they are certainly the most interesting of the three elven races.
    Weird thing about that little titbit is that its seemingly resolved in his story later in the Army Book. The Dyads who steal away the odd elf here and taking them to be sacrificed?

They're sacrificing them to Slaaneshi Daemons at the Vaults of Winter, who were frozen there during the first invasion. Amadri Ironbark used to be called Amadri Dawnspear. Despite the sacrifices, the Daemons of Slaanesh were able to break through and slaughtered the army of the Summerland, Amadri himself was captured and subjected to all the pains and pleasures of the slaaneshi forces. He slipped away and died at the foot of a mighty tree, His spirit passed into it and he became Ironbark (he's now a Treekin Gladelord).

With the Help of the Dryads he was able to Seal away the Vaults of Winter and defeat the Daemonettes. So presumably there aren't any sacrifices anymore.
    We need him as a lord then, such a cool story
    edited August 5
    This is from their 8th edition army book:

Arranoc The Summerstrand (pg. 10)
    Ruled by Lord Amadri Ironbark

Winter never comes to the verdant reaches of the Summerstrand. Here, the glades are ever dappled by brilliant sunshine all year round. Likewise, night seldom falls in this part of the forest and, even when it does, the hours of darkness are few and fleeting. Thus are the spirits of the Summerstrand eternally vibrant, for the passage of the seasons affects them not. The Elves of this realm are generous, and given to holding lavish feasts at the slightest provocation. They are also, unlike many of Athel Loren’s denizens, welcoming to peaceable outsiders, and waste no time including interlopers in the festivities. Many such ‘guests’ are resistant at first, but the first mouthful of sprigwine swiftly overcomes most resistance.

So it is that many outsiders have bided for long centuries in the glades of the Summerstrand, eating, drinking, making merry and seldom marking the passage of time. Few notice that their Elven feast-partners change as the hours and days pass, or that their hosts are more measured in the sampling of delights. Even fewer notice when their fellow guests, insensate with indolence, are carried from the feast by silent Dryad attendants. These glutted creatures are left at the entrance to the Vaults of Winter. Those ancient caverns are the work of a civilisation older than the Elves, and are home to beings that feast on reeking and pleasure-sodden souls. Thus do the guests of Arranoc pass from this world, sacrificed to sate creatures that would otherwise prey on the Elves of the Summerstrand.

Horror From the Vaults (pg. 28)

The Winds of Magic blew strongly through the Vaults of Winter in this year, and roused to life the Daemons frozen in its enchanted caverns.

Daemonettes and Fiends flooded into Arranoc, slaughtering all who would not succumb to their wild desires. Amadri Dawnspear, warleader of Arranoc, led the counterattack. Alas, the lord’s valour was for nought, and soon the warriors of his host lay dead upon the sun-dappled ground, and Dawnspear himself taken captive as a plaything for cruel Daemons. Dawnspear’s body did not endure long beneath the Daemonettes ’ caresses, but his spirit refused to yield. Fleeing deeper into Athel Loren at the moment of release, the warleader’s soul took root in the bole of a dead tree. Thus was Amadri Dawnspear reborn as the Tree Kin Amadri Ironbark.

When next Amadri entered Arranoc, he did so with a great host of Dryads and Treemen at his back, and swept the foul Daemons from its ancient groves. He then went alone to the Vaults of Winter and dragged enormous boulders down from the mountain peaks to seal its gates forever.
    Forest spirits should have bonuses against demons
    He's also mentioned During the Slaughter at Bleak Meadow, when the whole of athel Loren is under siege for a year. It goes through every lord saying who they're fighting and what they're up to (pg 30):

"In the eternal warmth oft he Summerstrand, Amadri Ironbark led his fellow Tree Kin against monsters so foul that countless Elves had succumbed to madness with but a glance at their horrific features."

And He's mentioned in the Treekin unit Lore blurb (pg 50):

A Tree Kin is a mighty brute, an animated hulk of deadwood formed into a twisted and monstrous parody of an Elf. It does not fight with finesse, but with gnarled fists that batter armour apart and pummel flesh to bloody ruin. The Tree Kin is implacable, fearing neither pain nor death, for its body no longer has the ability to feel sensation and the spirit that drives it is already long dead.

At the heart of every Tree Kin resides the soul of a dead Elf, though this is not the fate of all. Only the strongest and most driven souls retain enough individuality to become such a creature. Most, eager to renounce the identity and struggles that shaped their mortal lives, pass into the Weave of the forest. Though their families and friends might occasionally fancy that they can hear their loved one’s voice upon the wind, it is but an echo of a life long abandoned. However, those souls that become Tree Kin are unable to completely abandon their grip on their former lives, and they forge themselves a new body out of dead timber so that they might continue to defend in death that which they loved in fife.

Tree Kin seldom recognise those they knew in their former lives. So much of memory is based in their physical senses, and thus lost alongside the physical form. As a result, those few flashes and fragments that remain to a Tree Kin are more confusing than informative. Of course, to all things there is an exception, and amongst the Tree Kin, that exception is Amadri Ironbark. Once the renowned Elf lord Amadri Dawnspear, he was tortured to death by vile Daemonettes. So eager were they to ensure that Amadri experienced the full measure of their tortures, the Daemons placed a curse on him so that no detail of it would ever escape his senses. They soon came to regret this when Amadri’s mortal form perished, for their enchantment bound also the Tree Kin he became in the hour of his death. Fully aware of his fate and of his tormentors, Amadri soon took cruel vengeance of his own. Now and forever haunted by a pain he no longer truly feels, the reborn Amadri Ironbark rules Arranoc still.

For most Tree Kin, however, the world is a strange place, hidden beneath a shroud of forgotten memory. Though the creatures might be drawn to guard particular glades or safeguard certain Elves, they are seldom aware of the importance that those places and people held to the mortal being they once were. In point of fact, one such creature stood sentinel over its family halls for a thousand years, never once aware that the same catastrophe that had slain its mortal form had killed every member of its blood-kin also.

Yet if a Tree Kin’s garbled memory causes the creature sadness, it never speaks of it. Indeed, it is rare to hear one speak at all. When roused to communicate, the creatures do so in slow, hollow tones, as if the thought driving the words comes from somewhere far distant. However, they understand instructions well enough and are even willing to abandon their self-imposed vigil when asked, should their strength be needed elsewhere. At no time is this more clearly seen than when the Wild Hunt begins and hundreds of Tree Kin emerge from the deepwoods to answer its call. Buried deep though it is, the Tree Kin’s soul resonates to the strident tones of Orion’s horn and stirs eagerly to meet the challenge. Thus can the Wild Hunt often seem to be nothing less than a forest come to fife, seething with rage and determined to reclaim the lands stolen from it in centuries past. There are few sights more glorious, or more terrifying.
    We need a better wild hunt
    Pretty sure the Treekin RoR in TW, the Ironbark Elders, are named after Amadri.

They are fire bark not iron bark

Ditto to what Iucibuis said. However he is referenced a few times in-game.

There's a Wood Elf Rogue army called "the Wrath of Nature" which exists in Naggaroth and lead by a treeman with his name.

He's the leader of Arranoc in the Wood Elves mini-campaign.

And he's mentioned in relation to Imrik's Dragon Hunting. He fights alongside "Bruwor, Protector of Life" the Forest Dragon Imrik can catch.

I've been trying to find him in the End Times but so far no luck, The End Times was poorly written and the writers stated that they forgot about stuff that happened during the course of the End Times, nevermind stuff that happened before, so it seems plausable that he was one of the many forgotten characters that were left out (hell, they left Gor-Rok and Nakai out of the End Times entirely and forgot about Kroq Gar for most of it)