Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Isn't it the best time to develop the new game-engine?

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 10,663
edited August 2020 in Total War General Chat
Or does CA still need to make many titles in current engine?

What do you think?

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,663
    edited August 2020
    Guys, new engine is 50:50. It might be better and it might be worse.

Most people are negative, saying new engine will ALWAYS be bad. They forgot Rome 1 was also made in new engine as well.

Do you guys wish CA to work 30 years more in current engine? When do you think they shall move-on?
  • KalistratKalistrat Junior Member Ukraine/DnipropetrovskRegistered Users Posts: 231
    edited August 2020
    In my opinion, the new game engine is good.
    I will say in general terms. Indeed, Rome I TW brought 3D battles to the TW series. And Empire TW brought naval battles. It's great. I expect large armies from the new engine.
    And I definitely do not want the base be based on superheroes and their supersocks, superhats, etc.

I see only one reason why it will be bad - unstable economic situation. The new game engine requires a lot of money. We don't know what to expect from the near future.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,449
    I wonder on what the claims of this thread are base on... your encounters with Commisar?
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,706
    SiWI said:

I wonder on what the claims of this thread are base on... your encounters with Commisar?

Yeah seems to be only me and one other have commented previously on the previous discussion lol. As I've said in a previous post new engine suits a Saga title perfectly as they are intended as test beds.

But at the same time don't see a direct need for a new one currently, we've only had one Historical title on the current engine in 64bit and that seems to have allowed improvements on a lot of things, which is why I feel this engine would do Medieval 3 really well. A new engine not so much if we look at the issues Empire had, for example a new engine where combat on walls is bad...would really cripple a game with castles lol.
    Commisar said:

A new engine not so much if we look at the issues Empire had.

So are you saying CA shall work on current game-engine forever?

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,706
    edited August 2020
    jamreal18 said:

Might want to fully read my post.
    edited August 2020
    Commisar said:

jamreal18 said:

Might want to fully read my post.
    Question: When do you want CA to develop new game engine?

If the new game-engine is good, it would be a waste for good era.
    Commisar said:

I hope it (Medieval 3) doesn't get a new engine for it, would be a dumpster game if that happens.

I forgot. You are bashing CA already even though you haven't seen the new game engine yet. You are already saying it will be dumpster even though it's not been announced yet.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 909
    I dont want a new game engine if it means you need a $1,000 gpu to run the games.

Remember the "But can it run Crysis" meme ?

Honestly, I would rather CA invest more on their artistry department to create more in-game arts and aesthetics for units than waste money on a game engine.