Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Solution for Hordes & Settlements

doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,678
I tried a nakai campaign a few months ago, thinking that having allied settlements
instead of ruins would stop that whack-a mole gameplay of Hordes campagin and make Hordes more fun.

It did. But somehow it was worse. By converting enemy settlements into allied settlements you just create
an empire on auto-run. None of that nailbiting last-stand experience of Hordes, none of the nation building
and strategical decisions of Settlement Factions.

I think the solution lies in the middle.

Hordes should be able to take over settlements by spending Growth points

Thus you have to decide whether you want to update your Horde right now or create a save haven.

That taken over settlement should also belong to you, not some Allies. It can work as a save spot
from where you can respawn if all your Hordes are wiped out. Again, strategic decision making.
Also there should be Landmarks for Hordes. Like the "Blackened Flame of Ulric" in Middenheim for Chaos.

I have not put much thought in the precise math. It should be really high cost.
The decision to create a settlement should not be an easy one.
Also maybe Chaos settlements don' t grow so you have to decide the Tier
with the amount of Growth points you spend in creation.

Comments

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,948
    I’ve been wanting one thing since forever. Give the Warriors of Chaos a single settlement in the Wastes in the form of the Inevitable City.

But otherwise you’re idea seems interesting. Certainly the lack of the likes of landmarks for Hordes devalues their experience.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 419
    OP, that is an interesting suggestion. Definitely worth further consideration.
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,678
    RikRiorik said:

I’ve been wanting one thing since forever. Give the Warriors of Chaos a single settlement in the Wastes in the form of the Inevitable City.

But otherwise you’re idea seems interesting. Certainly the lack of the likes of landmarks for Hordes devalues their experience.

I stand by everything I said. But now I also want this.

• brago90brago90 Registered Users Posts: 516
    The hordes in TW: Warhammer should have settlements but they should be very limited.
    For example, Beastmen could create settlements in specific forests where the magic stones they need to make a camp are known to exist.
    Chaos warriors are known to have several strongholds around the world and should be able to inhabit them.

In short, the hordes should be something similar to a Norscan campaign or a Noctilus campaign but much more restrictive with the settlements you can occupy.
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 369
    This is a great idea. Chaos and Beastmen hordes definitely need a way to stop factions from immediately recolonizing ruins, and also provide the player and AI (but mostly the AI) a place to hire new lords in dire situations. Norsca might also benefit from such a mechanic to slow down resettlement. They're not a horde faction, but the ruins they leave behind are frequently retaken by the AI once your army moves on to a new area.
  • roekkumroekkum Registered Users Posts: 151
    I like all the suggestions here.

The easy way to stop that resettlement is to put an extra cost penalty on the AI, since they cheat with money. It should also be impossible to resettle if there's a corruption over 50%. It makes sense lore wise I think.

This way we also won't get the AI razing and resettling in Norsca, which I tend to see Bretonnia do.
  • Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 972
    roekkum said:

I like all the suggestions here.

The easy way to stop that resettlement is to put an extra cost penalty on the AI, since they cheat with money. It should also be impossible to resettle if there's a corruption over 50%. It makes sense lore wise I think.

This way we also won't get the AI razing and resettling in Norsca, which I tend to see Bretonnia do.

yes not able to settle when an area is corrupted over 50% would be nice. but then you have to calculate the corruption from the province itself and not the seperate city's. now the calculation of corruption is gone when every settlement is destroyed and will nt get even further corrupted
  • nexusno9nexusno9 Registered Users Posts: 87
    One of the best ideas I've heard for stopping AI constant resettlement is based around squatters. A settlement gets destroyed and left for dead, random stragglers will make a home there. The longer it's left as a ruin, the stronger these stragglers become. When this happens and how strong it is can be randomized, to prevent cheesing it. Skaven have a much higher chance of being the squatters than other races, increasing their presence in the Old World without having to add new settlements.

Could also add garrisons to the destroyed cities. Norsca razes a city and dedicates it to the Eagle, but when Empire comes to reclaim the destroyed city they find Daemons of Tzeentch lurking there. Something similar happens when Beastmen defile a city; local Beastmen respond to defend the placed herdstone. If it's simply razed for money then the Squatter thing happens.
  • MikeBreedloveMikeBreedlove Registered Users Posts: 66
    Nakai like setttlements that appear as ruins with special landmark locations for both Beastman in the form of Bloodgrounds and Warriors of Chaos in the form of Shrines to specific chaos gods would be what I'd like to see.

A BM bloodground(unwalled of course) could give allies +Growth + Casualty Replenishment + movement starting turn for local armies and + ambush for local armies for example in addition to a small vassal income bonus and unit buffs and army abilities. Whereas razing the settlement could generate much more immediate income and increase the speed at which a Brayherd becomes available.

A Chaos shrine dedicated to a specific chaos god could generate an army ability for local armies to summon daemons from the respective chaos god along with a garrison of mostly marauder tier units.

Specific settlements may have landmark or walled settlement options when captured and made a vassal
  • mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 965
    Just need settlements razed by chaos or BM to be destroyed and unable to be rebuilt so horde can keep moving on. Or a large turn time before it can be rebuilt or colonized.