Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Minor faction AI might need its aggressiveness toned down or at least made more logical

AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 530
I seem to consistently getting declarations of war against me from minor factions halfway across the map -- factions listed as "minor faction" or "defensive" in their AI personalities, which doesn't make any sense.

My favorite was when little Troilos, the defensive dude guarding Troy, inadvertedly kicked off the Trojan War early by declaring war on me (Agamemnon) and my ally/vassal swarm and dragging Troy and Paris into war with him because the little princeling was bored.

AI factions declaring war for no reason at all is one thing, but doing it from all the way across the map, too? It would make more sense if my neighbors declared war on me.

Comments

• Paddy234Paddy234 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 439
    I agree, i find whats worse is trying to make peace with them when they only have once settlement and you are one of the most powerful factions in the game and yet they won't settle for peace. It reminds me of Empire
  • AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 530
    Thankfully I haven't had a problem with the peace part -- the AI seems to know when to quit. In fact, part of what makes the minor faction war spam so silly is that those same faction are happy to peace out with me right away.
  • MalagoruMalagoru Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 487
    I prefer AI declaring war without reason over passive brain-dead AI, Warhammer 2 AI is quite similar to what you describe. Three Kingdoms AI is the best one for me.
  • Arkei47Arkei47 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Yeah, I agree, I get war declarations by all my neighbors at the beginning of the campaign, and I only play on normal. Non-aggression pacts have no real impact for me as well.
    Malagoru said:

I prefer AI declaring war without reason over passive brain-dead AI, Warhammer 2 AI is quite similar to what you describe. Three Kingdoms AI is the best one for me.

Oh I definitely don't want passive AI. I just want AI to follow its diplomacy traits -- that's theoretically what they're for. They seem to be not following those guidelines, which might be a bug.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,161
    Sorry, no. 3K was once just as cutthroat and then they neutered the AI to fear the player too much. It was of course the wrong decision and Troy should not be dumbed down in the same way.

• jdbestjdbest Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 67
    i just want frontlines to matter

why am i getting alpha striked deep in my lands lol so annoying i rather deal with waves of ai tossed at my walls in drawn out war then wack a mole waste 8turns because he sailed to my flank

and they have no self preservation at all like

dude legit just occupy my city where my army was few feet away like i wasnt going to maul him next turn? why?
    edited August 2020

Sorry, no. 3K was once just as cutthroat and then they neutered the AI to fear the player too much. It was of course the wrong decision and Troy should not be dumbed down in the same way.

What’s cutthroat about a faction no where near me declaring war? It’s pointless. It’s not dumbing down when the AI itself is being random and arbitrary.

Having diplomacy and everything be irrelevant because factions ignore NAPs and declare war just because it’s Tuesday doesn’t make the game smarter. Arbitrary AI behavior is what’s dumbing down because it substitutes for an actual sensible challenge.

If AI personalities aren’t going to follow through and if factions are mindlessly declaring war against someone they have no real chance to fight (except maybe after spending ten turns at sea), you’ve got a really erratic and goofy campaign system.

What’s the point of NAPs if they don’t mean anything? What’s the point of diplomacy if a minor faction is going to drag in an alliance swarm? Might as well just play custom battles all day and not have a campaign at that point.