Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wow, Troy is a very pleasant surprise!

WhisBourWhisBour USRegistered Users Posts: 4
I had no idea what to expect as a 24-hour free release and honestly thought that might be a bad sign for Troy. I had been waiting since the first Medieval TW, more than 15 years, for a Bronze Age game and I wondered if it might be a massive disappointment. Quite the opposite.

I haven't had enough time to dominate the Aegean from several perspectives, but my Odysseus campaign has been engaging and challenging. There are tons of town nodes to capture, usually several within striking distance of any given army, but the map is detailed enough that they still feel strategically different. As others have said elsewhere, resource scouting takes a front seat. The resource system is a huge improvement over previous releases, and surprisingly it hasn't seemed to break the game in any way (that I've seen). Even though food and wood can be hard to come by for a sea-loving people, I can trade bronze or stone to my allies whenever I need twigs and berries.

Speaking of allies, on the campaign map they're more valuable than they've ever been for me in a TW game. Not only do we barter every other turn so daddy can get a new pair of shoes, they go out of their way to help with battles occasionally and they don't betray me five turns into our alliance. I barely have to worry about Ithaca and the home regions because someone has my back for once...

Finally, I could look at that campaign map forever. The art style is a healthy balance of realistic interpretation and visually pleasing history/fantasy, and it works incredibly well. I absolutely love how they brought the myths down to earth without taking away the heroes we've heard about.

Hats off to the Sofia team! Unbelievable work for a game from a new TW studio with development/release during the pandemic. Bring back this leadership group for the next historical title please, I can't stress that enough. And that Epic free release for a day? I'm normally very stingy when it comes to DLCs as I disapprove of paying more for a game I already own, but I'd say we started this relationship off on the right foot.

Comments

• coolskillcoolskill Registered Users Posts: 233
    Circlejerk, but shows how good a start this game is. With many saying pretty much the same thing.

Yes great artistry - https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/ibnlqs/ready_for_siege_beauty_design_function_huge
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,510
    edited August 18
    I'm having the opposite experience.

Allies are non existent. Mine sided with some random neutral that I was on friendly terms with. And apparently that's okay for the AI but bad if I do the same thing. Odysseus gets labelled as unreliable, but there's not even any real consequences for it. Next time, I'll just declare war and eradicate him at turn 0.
    And yes, that neutral faction declared war the next turn we had nap and military access.

Also, this:

This just screams spawned elite army as a script. The whole Great Power thing was already annoying. Now we're back to Realm Divide AND Enemies at the Gates' reserve armies spawn triggers.

Complete coincidence? Or just fancy XP boost design?

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
    @neilkcwu

what a terrible army to face with your line up... 13 ranged units is a bit much if you'd ask me

@WhisBour

I'm also at it as Odysseus and have the same experience on the ally side. they come to your aide whenever they can, one of them even sacrificed armies to slow down an approaching force on my own towns

on the other hand, so far i don't have seen a lot of resistance done by the other side. I do hope this will be more then me watching Sparta and Pythia owning the place up forcing me to go against Pythia if i ever want to reach my homeric goals

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’
  • TyphoonBlazeTyphoonBlaze Registered Users Posts: 157
    edited August 18
  • WhisBourWhisBour USRegistered Users Posts: 4
    @neilkcwu

I've read similar stories from a few people that said allies weren't working. Maybe it's overly influenced by faction choice or the classical reputation of the faction leader? Every decision I made was supportive of my allies, and I trade with them every few turns. I actually had a Spartan army appear near a siege and move directly toward me on the next turn and stop by for the ensuing battle. I have never had that happen before without it being random luck, and I guess I can't rule that out, but the army went back the way it came the next turn.

I also had a Trojan army appear randomly and take one of my towns, but it was Paris instead of Hector. I'm guessing they added some script to get the player involved in intercontinental warfare early, might even be a spawn as you suggested (which kind of circumvents the rules, but it wasn't much of a problem). Hector also seems very upset with me but I've never been to the Anatolian shore. Again, some scripting and triggered events may be to blame.

@Aventus_Maximus

Yes, Sparta and Pythia have absolutely crushed everyone I haven't gotten to yet. Good teamwork? The opposing factions could do a better job banding together, but my starter campaign is only on Hard. Maybe Veteran puts up some more resistance?

-----

My biggest legitimate gripe thus far has been in conflict. If you don't have virtually all heavy melee you can kiss your light infantry goodbye in auto-resolved disputes. The computer must not value lower income peasants very much, so it forces me to fight all of the close encounters lest I lose a good portion of my army permanently.

But all of these issues are relatively minor (though ghost Hector could probably wreck a few towns in short order). I feel for the people with crashes, that can be maddening. Fortunately, I've only had one minor hiccup when waiting for an auto-resolved battle animation that never showed up.

• RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,715
    As for allies being not useful, use war coordination if you want them to attack certain armies or cities.

War coordination can be set individually for each allied faction in Troy and from experience AI tries to attack selected targets.

@neilkcwu @TyphoonBlaze What difficulty do you play? I am into my third campaign (normal/hard/hard) and I have never seen such armies except for armies guarding the city of Troy (Priam's faction). Maybe your Hector has confederated with Troy and inherited these elite stacks.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
  • epic_159817030363AS6d3l9epic_159817030363AS6d3l9 Registered Users Posts: 88
    I like it too, especially campaign map. Optimization is nice too.

Now, they need to work on the better diplomacy and sieges battles and we are ready for Medieval 3 for 2025 <3
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
    WhisBour said:

@neilkcwu

I've read similar stories from a few people that said allies weren't working. Maybe it's overly influenced by faction choice or the classical reputation of the faction leader? Every decision I made was supportive of my allies, and I trade with them every few turns. I actually had a Spartan army appear near a siege and move directly toward me on the next turn and stop by for the ensuing battle. I have never had that happen before without it being random luck, and I guess I can't rule that out, but the army went back the way it came the next turn.

I also had a Trojan army appear randomly and take one of my towns, but it was Paris instead of Hector. I'm guessing they added some script to get the player involved in intercontinental warfare early, might even be a spawn as you suggested (which kind of circumvents the rules, but it wasn't much of a problem). Hector also seems very upset with me but I've never been to the Anatolian shore. Again, some scripting and triggered events may be to blame.

@Aventus_Maximus

Yes, Sparta and Pythia have absolutely crushed everyone I haven't gotten to yet. Good teamwork? The opposing factions could do a better job banding together, but my starter campaign is only on Hard. Maybe Veteran puts up some more resistance?

-----

My biggest legitimate gripe thus far has been in conflict. If you don't have virtually all heavy melee you can kiss your light infantry goodbye in auto-resolved disputes. The computer must not value lower income peasants very much, so it forces me to fight all of the close encounters lest I lose a good portion of my army permanently.

But all of these issues are relatively minor (though ghost Hector could probably wreck a few towns in short order). I feel for the people with crashes, that can be maddening. Fortunately, I've only had one minor hiccup when waiting for an auto-resolved battle animation that never showed up.

More resistance? Try obtaining your goals as Odysseus this way?!

If i want to go homeric i need to declare war upon Pythia and for the total war victory 100 settlements, 1 rival and the simple ones hector paris and troy. I belief if i want to win this will mean at a certain point i'm forced to declare war upon either one .. not to mention what will happen if i declare war on one.... But maybe i can whisper poison words into the ears of menelaus or get the amazones to support me

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’
  • coolskillcoolskill Registered Users Posts: 233

@neilkcwu
    what a terrible army to face with your line up... 13 ranged units is a bit much if you'd ask me

I'm also at it as Odysseus

Wow everybody is going Odyssey. Same here.

I see it constantly users complaining about the game. Rather than asking what they might be doing wrong. Firstly, no information provided on difficulty prior to writing that complaint. And exactly you see a major problem in that unit composition. Even for any army. But especially with Achilles. You might even be better off with zero bow with him. Use sword flankers, spear runners, javelin flankers, and some spear/shield for tank wall. Yet so much bows makes no sense when you're going Achilles.
    WhisBour said:

Also playing as Odyssey. Did you go to the island on the bottom left of the map? That autoresolve isn't really a problem. Just never use it. I play out every battle no matter what.

This game is really the best. But there are a few flaws that need to be fixed. First I will explain in precise detail all the things wrong about Chariots - they're straight up broken.

Next, there seems to be a problem with diplomacy which I'm here to post about in the bug report section. Like you can request a bunch of resources like gold and wood for free. So you get just enough that the button stays at 0.0 green. But as soon as you give them 1 single resource in return, it will go red. There's also some other glitches with diplomacy.

Some Legendary users have been mentioning some other aspects of combat that are exploitable. Like spies being too powerful. Honestly, I don't think spies need to be nerfed that much. As well as javelins in combat, but not sure what the problem is.