Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Amazons

13»

Comments

• AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 530
    The Amazon AI factions aren't particularly powerful, especially since they're not fully implemented.

They sometimes punch above their weight for two reasons:

1.) If they become an antagonist faction, they get several powerful full stacks. That's not because Amazons are OP, that's the standard antagonist mechanic.

2.) Ranged units currently count a lot in autoresolve. Amazons have a lot of ranged units. This isn't really a specific Amazon issue, because you can see that in your autoresolve predictions for everyone. But it does mean the Amazons might be more successful against the AI than expected, because all AI battles are autoresolve.
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,211
    Looks cool, but I wish some of their elite units wore less clothing, like the sirens. I know, probably not really how things were, but I guess I always pictured amazons wearing fashions more like Xena Warrior Princess. would like at least one unit to be like Lady Zhurong in the 3 kingdoms Furious Wild expansion: tastefully sexy. They all kinda look like they are throwing a PJ party or something.
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 775
    gholin said:

Looks cool, but I wish some of their elite units wore less clothing, like the sirens. I know, probably not really how things were, but I guess I always pictured amazons wearing fashions more like Xena Warrior Princess. would like at least one unit to be like Lady Zhurong in the 3 kingdoms Furious Wild expansion: tastefully sexy. They all kinda look like they are throwing a PJ party or something.

to be fair the only units they even show in the game right now are the very basic units they dont seem to ever train mid tier to elite right now
  • SagarisSagaris Registered Users Posts: 18
    gholin said:

only the very early amazon´s representations (amazonomachy) they wore a simple dress. but never full or partial naked. in Troy times they are depicted wearing some armor, trousers and head caps. So the Xena´s look is fantasy because is useless in a battle. And CA knows it.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,051

I’ve found out I’ve been stuck on guard duty for the last 10 years thanks to Amazon’s.. I don’t care if it’s free.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,161
    gholin said:

Methinks warrior women would know what's practical in battle and what's not.

And Xena looked so damn ugly in her getup. I think that entire series didn't do Lucy Lawless any justice.

• ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,422
    Playing as Agamemnon several times to 50 to 80 turns, each time they are one on the top five most powerful factions. In turn 82 as my latest game as Agamemnon, they are 4th ranked in power, with 17 regions. Typical position for them in my playthroughs, and hardly "average." Of course, I am talking 4 or 5 campaigns; perhaps this is not always the case (they being OP, that is)?

I am trying as Sarpedon, currently on turn 35 or so. We'll see if they play differently when the human player is on Troy's side.

In any case, they seem to be too powerful for a "minor player" - and when they are dominant, (as they have been in my campaigns as Agamemnon) it detracts from the prime conflict, the Danaans vs. Troy.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 775
    the amazons arent at all op. i think it has to do with them simply either having cheap units so they can spam stacks or being really aggressive. ive seen them start off well but by turn 120 or so in my campaigns they usually start losing steam and start getting pushed back alot
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,004

I’ve found out I’ve been stuck on guard duty for the last 10 years thanks to Amazon’s.. I don’t care if it’s free.

You may need to provide another quote/meme to get that across to a lot of folks. Very good one though! Bravo!
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
  • MysticStirlingMysticStirling Registered Users Posts: 12
    Amazons come with free shipping? Wait, did you intentionally made the Amazons free for that pun? xD

(Would be nice if were actually the case)
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,051
    dge1 said:

You may need to provide another quote/meme to get that across to a lot of folks. Very good one though! Bravo!
    It wasn't done for casual adventurers, it was done for those capable of at least finding the Ebony Warrior.

Amazons come with free shipping? Wait, did you intentionally made the Amazons free for that pun? xD

(Would be nice if were actually the case)

I thought they were free if you combined your CA and Epic account? I certainly wouldn't pay for a group of harridans who ruined my career.
  • NlorkNlork Registered Users Posts: 1
    Is it no longer possible to get the free dlc? I registered but I cant find it.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 38,844
    edited August 2020
    Nlork said:

It hasn't been released yet.

Due some time in September.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    edited August 2020
    Sagaris said:

gholin said:

only the very early amazon´s representations (amazonomachy) they wore a simple dress. but never full or partial naked. in Troy times they are depicted wearing some armor, trousers and head caps. So the Xena´s look is fantasy because is useless in a battle. And CA knows it.
    That's fine and all, I don't really want to go full Xena because I know that's fantasy (Though, some of the stuff in this game is definitely made up), I meant just a little bit different. More armor, or more tunics where legs are showing a bit more, maybe more leather armor. Most of the units I've seen kinda look persian in this, with big floofy pants and very nice clothing. I would expect bronze age warriors wouldn't have such fine linens like these amazons do. Warriors would dress more for battle, with armor and plain tunics or wraps. I was just saying I kinda want something like how Lady Zhurong is represented. Something more warrior-like and a bit less organized like for a night out on the town.

• OldYoJemboOldYoJembo Registered Users Posts: 1

Nlork said:

It hasn't been released yet.

Due some time in September.
    Thanks. Wondering myself.
    gholin said:

Sagaris said:

gholin said:

That's fine and all, I don't really want to go full Xena because I know that's fantasy (Though, some of the stuff in this game is definitely made up), I meant just a little bit different. More armor, or more tunics where legs are showing a bit more, maybe more leather armor. Most of the units I've seen kinda look persian in this, with big floofy pants and very nice clothing. I would expect bronze age warriors wouldn't have such fine linens like these amazons do. Warriors would dress more for battle, with armor and plain tunics or wraps. I was just saying I kinda want something like how Lady Zhurong is represented. Something more warrior-like and a bit less organized like for a night out on the town.

Actually I think it was the other way around, the Persians commenting on the labor Greeks put into preening themselves before battle.

Anyway, being a fantasy computer game, the rule that women's armor is somehow more protective than men's ... probably applies here. :smile:

I remember something about Amazons would have a breast removed to improve their archery.
  • Discount_BobDiscount_Bob Registered Users Posts: 4

I remember something about Amazons would have a breast removed to improve their archery.

I think it mentions that in the game, but then says that isn't likely considering the high risks associated with doing that. They would've killed a substantial number of themselves with infection and other morbidity factors. And ... removing a breast wouldn't have actually been that helpful, anyway.
  • GroskrvvGroskrvv Registered Users Posts: 45
    dge1 said:

Let's keep the discussion focused on the thread topic folks. It is an announcement topic.

Don't start drifting off into unacceptable comments related to unit gender. Thanks.

Only think that is unacceptable is that there unacceptable topics of discussion besides profanity or trolling.
    edited September 2020
    DGE1, I don't think we were trying to be offensive or anything about unit gender. The announcement about amazons is exciting, so I was mentioning something I hoped for with the faction. My response WAS to the announcement.

I was hoping we got some different aesthetics for the amazons, not fully fantasy, but more warrior-like. I find the current amazon clothing to be too fine looking, like some units are in what looks like silk persian clothing, almost too fancy for war. I wanted them to be less fancy and less feminine if anything lol. I also did want their elite units to look more badass, like Lady Zhu Rhong does in Three Kingdoms. She's stylishly sexy and powerful. She is the ultimate embodiment of what I would think a powerful warrior woman would look like. Maybe thinking Xena wasn't what I was going for. I wasn't thinking fantasy amazons from video games and shows meant to drum up sex appeal, I was thinking warrior-like. Lady Zhu Rhong is a better example of what I'm thinking.

And in ancient greece, it seems most athletic/war clothing doesn't reach the ankles, men or women, so I was saying I wanted it more Xena-like in that regards, but you could also say more like Assassin's creed odyssey or other games or books I've seen where ancient greek men and women have that style. I'm no expert though. Maybe they did go to war in what looked like expensive pajamas :)
  • Hex AgorosHex Agoros Registered Users Posts: 59
    Any clues on the release date yet? We're entering mid-September now, and they are supposedly releasing this month.
  • KoronusKoronus Registered Users Posts: 60

Any clues on the release date yet? We're entering mid-September now, and they are supposedly releasing this month.

I add myself to this too.
    This release date interesst me as much as the date for the next Warhammer II DLC.
  • mooshdotjpegmooshdotjpeg Registered Users Posts: 38
    tadakatsu said:

ranknfile said:

dge1 said:

Let's keep the discussion focused on the thread topic folks. It is an announcement topic.

Don't start drifting off into unacceptable comments related to unit gender. Thanks.

It is not their gender that bothers me; rather it is a minor faction - if it existed at all as a faction in reality - that is a powerhouse in this game. It is not unlike having Rumania being as strong as the U.S.S.R. in a game depicting ww2 combat on the Eastern Front. It detracts from what should be the conflict between the Danaans and Troy; it detracts from the game, for those of us who are interested in historical games being historical.

I actually like the religious buffs, and the depictions of legendary units. I'd have no problem with the Amazons being a powerful units(s), or being a mid-tier faction. However, as powerful as they are, I find it makes one of the finest TW games I have ever seen, being something much less due to the OP nature of this faction.
    what you mean as powerful as they are? amazons get stomped on in every campaign ive done on very hard even by the other ai factions. they dont seem to be strong at all granted they also seem to never train their elite units likely cause the dlc isnt out yet idk. but either way they arent strong at all they are average at best
    In every game i've played on normal and hard difficulty the Amazons are very op. They have always been the antagonists and end up with around 24 settlements, nobody really attacks them. Never seen another AI faction effectively fight them.
  • GrandGeneralHaasGrandGeneralHaas Registered Users Posts: 3
    The amazons are out and I got the free code and used it but when I got to start a campaign it says I have to buy it which I can't because I already have it. How can I fix it?
  • ViryuViryu Registered Users Posts: 4
    A bit more specific question, Hippomachoi vs Furies. Despite Furies being light cavarly, outside of less hp and bonus vs infantry, they seem superior to Hippomachoi where it matters, charging and flanking. Am I missing something?
  • USACeltUSACelt Registered Users Posts: 1
    The email for the Amazon code doesn't work. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me doing something wrong?