Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New Saga mechanics...

CommisarCommisar Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,710
So, with Troy out and there being a wide range of reviews and it's been quiet down here I'd try to start this as a discussion.

It seems a bit strange, Troy feels like a good test bed for some mechanics for WH3 over the historical games. I think the gods system seems better fitting for fantasy games than historical.

We do have the WH island battles brought over as well, that would be good for 3K personally. Auto-resolve on naval battles in 3K screws me over repeatedly -.-

Trade and resource changes...I don't think this really fits any other time frame really. The food system from 3K works fine, maybe tying resources more in to the economy of some periods such as factories requiring coal. Other resource buildings required to recruit specialist units for controlling them such as elephants but not be open for trade.

Comments

  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,465
    I think many things done in Troy could make an appearance in both WH3 and other titles.

    Take for example the fact that you have units that switch weapons when one uses the ability.

    The death of naval battles saddens me... and its funny how many of the self-proclaim "champions of more contend" are silent or welcoming about a feature getting deleted from the series... hopefully it makes a comeback with a TW Victoria.

    The resource system could be crucial for any "modern" TW, be that TW Victoria or even a TW in the 20th century.


    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 915
    Actually, the divine will system makes a lot of sense in a historical setting.

    Civilization including the Chinese worship nature, heaven, ancestral worship and deities for blessings. Before a general goes to war, they will make offerings to the heavens or sometimes to imperial ancestors. Effective or not is a different story but this actually is more of a psychological affair to boost troops morale and placebo effects. Yea, 3K should have a ritual system.

    The resource for army upkeep in Troy is also a good one which should make its way to 3K. I know bronze is softer than iron and has lower durability but even iron armor and weapon should require replacement over time. Fans who read ROTK and ancient warfare knows how sturdy weapons/armors will change the course of a battle.

    Nonetheless, hopefully some of the good stuff will be carried forward to Medieval 3.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710
    SiWI said:

    The death of naval battles saddens me... and its funny how many of the self-proclaim "champions of more contend" are silent or welcoming about a feature getting deleted from the series... hopefully it makes a comeback with a TW Victoria.

    The lack of naval combat doesn't shock me, there isn't any in the Iliad which they've based it off and very little recorded in the region for the time period around Troy. There's also the issue of it being a more bland version of R2/A naval combat. But yeah hopefully when they bring around a game say after 1400 naval combat would seem to fit and be missed if not.
    SiWI said:

    The resource system could be crucial for any "modern" TW, be that TW Victoria or even a TW in the 20th century.

    I can see supply through put being important post Victoria I don't see it fitting before, outside of maybe oil for late period Victoria. Although I guess different weapons such as muzzle loader - breach loader - magazined. Could make supplying nations in war interesting and add more depth to the campaign if you unlock some new & modern units for them.
    united84 said:

    Actually, the divine will system makes a lot of sense in a historical setting.

    Civilization including the Chinese worship nature, heaven, ancestral worship and deities for blessings. Before a general goes to war, they will make offerings to the heavens or sometimes to imperial ancestors. Effective or not is a different story but this actually is more of a psychological affair to boost troops morale and placebo effects. Yea, 3K should have a ritual system.

    Might say that would fit more as a characters trait in game and random event popping up. OR as you say it's something that's commonly done and has no known link to the events that it happens in the background.
    united84 said:

    The resource for army upkeep in Troy is also a good one which should make its way to 3K. I know bronze is softer than iron and has lower durability but even iron armor and weapon should require replacement over time. Fans who read ROTK and ancient warfare knows how sturdy weapons/armors will change the course of a battle.

    Issue there is bronze was more limited during the period of Troy and is harder to work, I don't think China had shortages of iron or the skill to forge it.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,695
    Did Resource Trading System still being practice in Medieval Era?

    I thought they already have merchants.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710
    jamreal18 said:

    Did Resource Trading System still being practice in Medieval Era?

    I thought they already have merchants.

    Troy is meant to be more of a barter system and yeah that had fallen out of use for the most part. But there is now also the stockpiles that are used for other things, which I don't think is ever truly a thing in history. For most parts it wasn't a big thing as basic elements could be collected from most areas. Troy being smaller & more city state elements makes sense.
Sign In or Register to comment.