Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Retreat, the solid option

Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
Well you know, sometimes you think you can, but in reality you just won't... Not because you did not want to but for some reason it just did not happen. Most of the time reasons are pretty obvious, I thought, i was stronger/they where weaker, used another tactic etc etc and.... when your out not one two or three days away from your recruiting options the best idea would be, certainly at a certain point in the battle to withdraw.

The withdraw function does know certain drawbacks the users needs be aware of before pressing the withdraw button. First you can order singular units to withdraw but with a ctrl-a you can select all of your units at once, even the once in groups, and press the withdraw button to have everyone to throw down their weapons and run for their lives.

Smart users accustomed to withdrawing know how their forces will then turn around and try and make it for the edge of the map what in essential is the withdraw zone, any border will do, so in case of a loosing battle certain accommodations can be made to, for example ensure that very heavy slow units will make it because you know, enemy's will keep harassing your forces all the way to the end of the retreat.

There has never been an enemy general controlled by the a.i. that will press the " end battle " button when you press withdraw!!!

When fleeing for the withdraw zone your troops will be under constant harassments of enemy forces. This is natural, as you should do this too. Don't anger but swiftly start scanning the battlefield for troops that for some reason stick behind. Any troop can be pulled out of this very dangerous maneuver and fall prey to chasing troops! Take for example your ranged units? Still have skirmish enabled? don't be surprised then if suddenly their skirmishy nature takes over! Have some melee running into groups of enemy's or being overtaken by faster lighter troops?? The same applies here, don't look surprised if their fighting nature overcomes the withdraw order which will result in a oh so heroic but fatal last stand. You did not press the withdraw button to loose someone in the first place right?

If you follow these basic guidelines you can be sure to get most troops safely at home at the end of the day !

Did you make a successful withdraw once, or did you fail miserable? Lets hear about it in the comments

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’

Comments

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 530
    Touch wood I haven't had to just yet. In TWW I tend to do individual units as they predominately run out of ammo, or low health high chevron units I don't want wiped.
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
    Eldrick said:

Touch wood I haven't had to just yet. In TWW I tend to do individual units as they predominately run out of ammo, or low health high chevron units I don't want wiped.

It is not my favorite tactic but some of those times you have those risky sieges or attacked from an angle you did not expect that seems best for starting in a position that makes running away easy. Twice i retreated now in Troy, both during 50 50 sieges, or maybe they where 40/45 xx/xx. Odysseus line seems to work fine with that tactic since both times i ended with almost all units available which can only be called a bonus.

I belief i can see it almost always as a valid tactic when under attack and i will be sure to test this some more with more lighter skirmish units that can run away fast. Another general also unlocked a skill which will grant all light ranged units advanced setup so that would be a real terror... It is a shame that the a.i. is not setup like a human is. Most humans would be unprepared to meet a hail of spears and stones raining down upon their forces from the 1st sec

Imagine a player who would have experienced such a thing twice or thrice already, right from the start he's ready to move his whole melee formation forward by the first sign of units near his starting position... or always positioning from the back so you can be sure to prevent to be catched by that maneuver

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’