Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The future of HISTORICAL Total War

HolySaintKnightHolySaintKnight Registered Users Posts: 4,437
edited August 2020 in Total War General Chat
After 3 kingdoms it's time for the next step. Make a global total war historical Roman era. Who wouldn't love to have legions, samurai, phalanxes, berserkers, Aztecs etc clashing in a global arena!
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,692
    2/10 bait thread.

Low effort, try again.
    Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,157

After 3 kingdoms it's time for the next step. Make a global total war historical Roman era. Who wouldn't love to have legions, samurai, phalanxes, berserkers, Aztecs etc clashing in a global arena!

I think this was meant to be the end goal for Total War: Arena, but it didn't take off as well as CA hoped, so it was scrapped.

Although, last I heard they were planning to revive it.
  • HolySaintKnightHolySaintKnight Registered Users Posts: 4,437
    ArneSo said:

2/10 bait thread.

Low effort, try again.

No bait.

I think this was meant to be the end goal for Total War: Arena, but it didn't take off as well as CA hoped, so it was scrapped.

Although, last I heard they were planning to revive it.
    Ok I hope they do.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,131
    edited August 2020
    Make a global total war historical Roman era. Who wouldn't love to have legions, samurai, phalanxes, berserkers, Aztecs etc clashing in a global arena!

What could actually be really interesting imho is a Total War set in an alternate universe (a bit like what Ace Combat does) where you could have all the different Earth cultures but on a much smaller scale of landmass. (and all of that without heroes and stuff)

Obviously it would mean that CA would have to craft the world by hand and they would have to pick which era would be represented. And also deal with the madlads who would obviously start the whole "Katana vs Greatsword" discussion.

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,157
    Rewan said:

Make a global total war historical Roman era. Who wouldn't love to have legions, samurai, phalanxes, berserkers, Aztecs etc clashing in a global arena!

What could actually be really interesting imho is a Total War set in an alternate universe (a bit like what Ace Combat does) where you could have all the different Earth cultures but on a much smaller scale of landmass. (and all of that without heroes and stuff)

Obviously it would mean that CA would have to craft the world by hand and they would have to pick which era would be represented. And also deal with the madlads who would obviously start the whole "Katana vs Greatsword" discussion.
    So like Total War: For Honor?

I think I'd play that...
  • HolySaintKnightHolySaintKnight Registered Users Posts: 4,437
    edited August 2020
    Rewan said:

And also deal with the madlads who would obviously start the whole "Katana vs Greatsword" discussion.
    It's simple, different bonuses, abilities(smoke bombs). Some cultures would be stronger on certain aspects others wouldbe lacking but that's normal as this is how cultures are. What will balance them would be the campaign objectives. Now some would have ridiculous ones like take 5 provinces to win when others take half map but it's how this title has to be to represent accurately the different civilizations.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,706
    ...that wouldn't be historical series. That is pure fantasy. So nope, not wanting to see that and not wanting another Roman period game for a while. Much prefer a gun powder based one next.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,264
    Commisar said:

...that wouldn't be historical series. That is pure fantasy. So nope, not wanting to see that and not wanting another Roman period game for a while. Much prefer a gun powder based one next.

Same preference for me.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,167
    Looking at the latest DLC for 3K.. does anyone else think we are saying goodbye to totally historical games?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,449
    for me a TW Victoria would be more "natural" candidate for a world map, given that in that time, the whole world was starting to get know by humans.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892

Looking at the latest DLC for 3K.. does anyone else think we are saying goodbye to totally historical games?

I haven't read much on the Nanman so not sure, I have been meaning to pick up a copy of RoTK for a while. Even in the Romance, I don't see tigers and flaming clubs being used.
    SiWI said:

for me a TW Victoria would be more "natural" candidate for a world map, given that in that time, the whole world was starting to get know by humans.

And the technology to really support global expansion.
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
    Sci Fi please :)

though i could settle too for another medieval

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’
    Commisar said:

I haven't read much on the Nanman so not sure, I have been meaning to pick up a copy of RoTK for a while. Even in the Romance, I don't see tigers and flaming clubs being used.
    SiWI said:

And the technology to really support global expansion.
    Some of the units borrow heavily from fantasy. It seems like they tried with previous DLCs to keep it aligned to at least the novel but on this one they've thought.. sod it.. fantasy it is then.

Some of the units borrow heavily from fantasy. It seems like they tried with previous DLCs to keep it aligned to at least the novel but on this one they've thought.. sod it.. fantasy it is then.

A google seems to say that in the Romance that the Nanman did have tigers...I'd hope they'd split it to be removed from the historical line but I doubt it.
    Commisar said:

A google seems to say that in the Romance that the Nanman did have tigers...I'd hope they'd split it to be removed from the historical line but I doubt it.
    It does seem to be that some of the leasers owned tigers and other animals as a pet but as a unit in an army? It does look quite fantastical but I'm not complaining, I think they have to do something to help against the blandness (only compared to fantasy).
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,449

Commisar said:

It does seem to be that some of the leasers owned tigers and other animals as a pet but as a unit in an army? It does look quite fantastical but I'm not complaining, I think they have to do something to help against the blandness (only compared to fantasy).
    well... its far from the first time that TW scratch what is "historical".
    I mean dogs handlers may be more plausible, but I don't think anyone has really used something like that really on mass...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892