Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How Dogs of War could be Implemented as a Faction (Inspired by Three Kingdoms)

TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 28
I noticed the Dogs of War characters have been requested by many as a playable faction, but there is the trouble they're more of mercenary group rather than an empire building army. Then, remembering playing as Yan Baihu from TW: Three Kingdoms, an idea hit me: mercenary contract work.

The idea would be that the Dogs of War faction would be a horde group (bare with me), that takes out merc contracts from the in-game factions and is rewarded and supported through that system.

For example, the DoW could take a contract from a high elf faction to take out a specific dark elf faction. Once they agreed to it through diplomacy, the DOW get a bar they fill up by attacking dark elf armies and taking out settlements. They can naturally sack and raze enemy settlements and get gold from that like any other faction, but when they're on a contract, they can also give that settlement to their contractor. These actions will fill your bar and your contractor will give you rewards like gold, reduced upkeep, special items, and maybe even special units that the contractor would provide (like artillery, monsters, and special units themed to that faction). The idea is through contract work, your armies are supported through their mercenary work. And to improve upon the idea from TKs, your armies don't all have to be tied to a specific faction. For example, one leader could be set to attack the vampire counts for the empire while another is in Lustria, taking out skaven for the Lizardmen. And for the challenge, you have to maintain your contract bars by winning battles and not letting them expire over time. They eventually will run out through a number of turns and then you can take another one for that army (letting them expire or ending one early without the contractor wanting you to end it if they made peace or so would hurt your diplomatic relations)

Since the DOWs wouldn't be capturing settlements for themselves, their goal could be build up "reputation" or such (like the Vampire coast), and the game would be concluded (Vortex and Mortal empires) when they reach their max reputation. But in the mean time, reaching new levels could grant bonuses like increased gold, faster recruiting time, faster and cheaper horde upgrades, and even stuff like fear bonuses (like your army is so infamous, the enemy army loses leadership faster against you).

So do you guys think this is how we could see the DoW in WH3 or maybe even hopefully a future lord pack?

Comments

• korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 195
    this is pretty much how i think dow should works, and i think its a way more interesting concept than a boring empire clone.

• BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,066
    I think you are onto something. The first time I played the new bandits after the last 3K DLC, I thought it felt like they might be testing mechanics for DOW.

CA does this a lot, so I think the chances are good.

I think the Bandit Tech Tree from 3K is another mechanic that could work for Dogs of War.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    Sounds good. I really hope we get to see the DoW in game. I hope CA make both the Leopard Company and Alcatani Fellowship pikeman. So badly want to see Asarnil the Dragonlord on Deathfang on the battlefield.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    It could be based at Sartosa and could be led by Aranessa... oh wait, they are already in the game
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 28
    I didn't think of the bandit network skill tree retooled for the DOW, but that definitely seems like how they'd do it. They would be gaining research bonuses based on their diplomatic relationships: a skill dedicated to improving artillery and missile damage could be sped up with good relations with the empire while ones that deal with improving warriors and weapons could be given shorter times by being friends with the dwarves.

The contract system could be improved for the DOWs with specific missions with optional objectives that could reward your lords and armies money, equipment, and even special traits. For example, a contract against 'Ard Boys could include a mission to defeat Grimgor, but an extra reward could be to defeat him when your armies are smaller in size (lore says it could be to humilate him and hurt his reputation among the Greenskins). Another could be against the Awakened and Luthor Harkon, but to defeat him in a sea battle rather than a land battle.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,756
    edited August 23
    No, no way, not a chance in hell.

First of all, no hordes if possible and in case of DoW there is a perfect argument to not go hordes.

Second of all, DoW are not built from ground up to be hordes. Nearly every one of their actual characters(not mercenary captains, I'm talking actual character choices here) have claims on actual territories and have ambitions beyond being mercenaries. It would be ridiculous that the Prince of Miragliano can't hold Miragliano.

Third of all, their armybook represents Tilea as well, with the inspiration being Italian City States period. You can't exactly cleave off that entire armybook focus, with half the book consisting of Tilean exploits. The two are not meant to be separated and DoW as a pure mercenary force would not be a cohesive race, as disparate mercenaries don't have a united focus as a race. They are united by their employers.

I don't see it nor do I see anything good about it. Mercenary contracts, sure, whatever, but pure horde concept is insane.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

First of all, no hordes if possible and in case of DoW there is a perfect argument to not go hordes.

Second of all, DoW are not built from ground up to be hordes. Nearly every one of their actual characters(not mercenary captains, I'm talking actual character choices here) have claims on actual territories and have ambitions beyond being mercenaries. It would be ridiculous that the Prince of Miragliano can't hold Miragliano.

Third of all, their armybook represents Tilea as well, with the inspiration being Italian City States period. You can't exactly cleave off that entire armybook focus, with half the book consisting of Tilean exploits. The two are not meant to be separated and DoW as a pure mercenary force would not be a cohesive race, as disparate mercenaries don't have a united focus as a race. They are united by their employers.

I don't see it nor do I see anything good about it. Mercenary contracts, sure, whatever, but pure horde concept is insane.

Hmm...well in that case, they could work just like the bandits in Three Kingdoms: they can claim territory themselves but get benefits by working directly for other factions. Maybe a balance is their own territories are harder to defend and don't make as much money as other factions (like Norsca and the Wood Elves), so you have more incentive to do merc work. There could also be rewards that are locked behind behind specific contracts (like units, traits, and special equipment). The idea is you need to maintain a high "fame and fortune" (what TKs call their contract bar) throughout the duration of the time you work for them (quitting one, letting it expire, or letting it end on the low end all hurt your reputation and diplomacy trust). Killing an enemy army gives you a small amount, defeating one at a settlement (whether you keep it for yourself, sack it, or raze it) gives you a modest amount, and giving captured settlements to your contract boss would give an extreme amount. So it gives you a big choice that way on how you proceed.

My apologies if my misunderstanding of the lore offended anyone. But still, I think DoWs would work as a contract for hire faction; just now they also work to build their own power base too.

Crossil said:

Hmm...well in that case, they could work just like the bandits in Three Kingdoms: they can claim territory themselves but get benefits by working directly for other factions. Maybe a balance is their own territories are harder to defend and don't make as much money as other factions (like Norsca and the Wood Elves), so you have more incentive to do merc work. There could also be rewards that are locked behind behind specific contracts (like units, traits, and special equipment). The idea is you need to maintain a high "fame and fortune" (what TKs call their contract bar) throughout the duration of the time you work for them (quitting one, letting it expire, or letting it end on the low end all hurt your reputation and diplomacy trust). Killing an enemy army gives you a small amount, defeating one at a settlement (whether you keep it for yourself, sack it, or raze it) gives you a modest amount, and giving captured settlements to your contract boss would give an extreme amount. So it gives you a big choice that way on how you proceed.

My apologies if my misunderstanding of the lore offended anyone. But still, I think DoWs would work as a contract for hire faction; just now they also work to build their own power base too.
    Funnily enough, it might work better in reverse. Tilean lands are very fertile and profitable which would make further expansion unnecesary. Therefore, you would simply go the merc route as you don't profit from the land out there. On the other hand, the factions that would start outside of there would work close to what you propose.

It's not some kind of misunderstanding but rather that this gets occasionally proposed and I have crusaded against it so much I pop an aneurysm every time I see it. And I hate horde gameplay.

In theory it could be done but that's cutting off Tilea which was central to the DoW design back when they had an armybook. It leaves the Southern Realms barren as non of the characters from there now have a place to go and DoW are now the race while the Southern Realms are left as nothing but NPC factions. It just overall doesn't appeal or make sense to me.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 463
    edited August 24
    I'm not a fan of pure horde gameplay (WoC, Beastmen, Nakai), but making the Southern Realms/Dogs of War into a horde/settlement hybrid faction like the Vampire Coast would be fantastic.
    Post edited by Xerxes52 on
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 195
    Crossil said:

It would be ridiculous that the Prince of Miragliano can't hold Miragliano.

as ridiculous as borgio leading a tilean faction when tilea doesnt even exist as an unified faction.

Perhaps with the idea that Tillea is such a verdant land and very profitable to its faction, it could be worked that the Dogs of War are more about focusing on their own homeland rather than foreign assets when it comes to development.

Doing merc work is how they build themselves up, and that while they can capture foreign settlements, the idea is you have to think about if its worth keeping. Do you want to spend money on this new settlement for a future return or is it better to give it to your contractor and get rewarded now? Does it provide resources that you could use or a stragetic position (Like being a place you can recruit new lords or refill your weakened armies with new units?) Or do you want to give it to your "boss" who can defend it better than you can against the surrounding and **** off enemies who will probably come in with a doomstack to take it back

This all goes into how you play and choose what option is best for you
  • BrizthomBrizthom Registered Users Posts: 524
    The upcoming Amazon DLC for Troy has both a settled faction and a horde faction so perhaps a DoW race pack could have both depending on which LL you start as.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,066
    Remember that there were hybrid hordes in Attila (the Alans and the Vandals, iirc) - horde factions that could choose to settle after taking a town. I’ve always thought that should make it into WH in some way.
    Since the Dogs of War are all mercenary companies, and therefore a business in some sense, their confederation mechanic could be unique as well.

Instead of trying to build relationships or being stronger, DoW confederate by buying each other out. That would put a reason to do mercenary contracts to build up your wealth quickly, so you can buy out your competition and have their lords, armies, and territories all become yours when you take control of their company.
  • MythrilSoulMythrilSoul Registered Users Posts: 331
    edited August 24
    Here some basic ideas i put together for how the dogs of war could work in total war

TECHNOLOGY: 3 kingdoms bandit tech tree with faction specific techs

ECONOMY: severely limited infrastructure, trade and Contracts will be your bread and butter when it comes to income, achieving higher amounts of credibility will increase exponentially the rewards from completing contracts and the taxes on trade.

TERRITORY: each Mercenary faction has a single specific favored climate (depending on the Legendary lord like pirazzo prefering jungles or mengil prefering frozen or chaos wates ) on which they can conquer settlements and build actual cities; anywhere else they will only be able to build mercenary outposts (tier 1 settlements), but depending on where in the world this outpost is, certain regiments and unique units will become available to your recruitment pool for as long as the specific outpost stands.

SPECIAL RULES:
    Army for Hire: like semi-hordes, some of your military buildings are linked to each individual lord army, but some of them are exclusive to settlements. Multiple armies in the same region will have shared recruitment options, with the exception of contract units (auxiliaries).

Small Print: certain diplomacy elements are changed when you accept a contract, your armies will have increased movement range and gain military access and non-aggression pact instantly with the faction whose contract was accepted; diplomacy rating will increase and decrease at very reduced rates respectably with the involved factions – contractor and target.
    When conquering another faction settlement, outside of a contract, you will be given the option to sell it to said faction enemies, use it as a hostage for massive but temporary diplomacy swings with said faction or keep it to yourself; attacking the same settlement you sold or kept hostage will cause lots of damage to your relations with the related faction and reduce your credibility.

Mercenary Guild: a tab where you can see the contracts available to your company and which lord said contract can be given to complete. Your guild facilities can be improved with “Completion Seals” that are awarded when completing a contract. (Eltharion’s bat cave mech)
    Contracts: contracts are “quests” available to your faction in the mercenary guild contract board given by another faction that you know, these can vary between raiding, sacking, raising or conquering another faction lands in the name of your contractor faction or finding rare trinkets and weapons and giving them back (you can choose to keep said items at the cost of your reward and credibility), completing them will give you great amounts of gold and raise your company credibility and reputation.
    Reputation: is your influence with similar alignment factions of your previous contractor (order, destruction and chaos) that are raised when completing a contract, increasing one will raise the amounts of rewards and available contracts from similarly aligned factions but will decrease the ones from the other 2, non-aligned factions such as TK ogre kingdoms and other mercenaries are not influenced by this. To unlock the final contract quest one of the three contractor’s alignment must be maxed, depending which alignment was chosen your army will take its side in the final contract quest battle.
    Credibility: is the percentage of success of your company have in delivering what is asked in accepted contracts, it will grow the more contracts you complete and the higher your credibility is, the fatter the rewards will become. But don’t think keeping a clean reputation is easy in this line of work, breaking or failing to complete contracts will reduce your credibility and make you get reduced income from future contracts with this contractor; also factions that oppose your contractor will sometimes give you tantalizing deals for working against your contractor that will severely mark your company credibility if accepted.
    Auxiliaries: are units that derive from the roster of the faction that contracted your services, which will be added to the specific lord army “recruit auxiliary” pool when said contract is completed. They are limited in number and once lost you will no longer be able to recruit them. Easy and short contracts will give basic units, but hard and challenging ones will give you elite units.

Lords Renown: achieving higher levels of credibility unlocks Famous Mercenary generals to work for your company, but to keep them working for you must maintain the company credibility.

Loyalty: each lord (non-LL) have different levels of loyalty that shifts based in the way you treat them; if it decreases too much they will rebel against you.

ARMY ROSTER: The supreme jack-of-all-trades with access to all kinds of ingenious ragtag groups of mercenaries, each lord has access to all mercenary guild units for the basic army roles, gaining access to other faction’s troops when completing contracts. Its greatest weakness through is the absolute lack of elite units readily available, with those being exclusively recruited by completing hard or long contacts.
  • IokkoIokko Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 623
    This is how I envision the dogs of war working:

Hyrbid Horde
    Some factions would start as hordes, some would start settled, but they would all have the option to settle.

Contracts
    A special tab where you're shown missions you're free to pick and choose from, assigning specific characters to each one, clan eshin style. Rewards would include gold, reputation and increased diplomatic relations.

Gifting Settlements
    When under contract, you'd get the option to hand captured settlements over to the faction you're working for, or you could break the contract and take it for yourself.

It would be character specific and affect which contracts they're able to take, and which regiments of renown they're able to hire.

Diplomacy
    As you're a mercenary, your relations with the faction you're hired against wouldn't go down much. It's just work after all! They might be hiring you next!

Regional Mercenaries
    You can instantly recruit units of amazons in Lustria, halflings in The Moot, giants in Albion, etc, raise dead style.
    Stating opinions as if they're facts in your signature and adding "Change my mind" doesn't make them facts, change my mind.

Crossil said:

It would be ridiculous that the Prince of Miragliano can't hold Miragliano.

as ridiculous as borgio leading a tilean faction when tilea doesnt even exist as an unified faction.

I'm not sure what your point here is. It would obviously not be a unified faction as they can make Luccini independent on game start. And they can probably expand the area to have some other city states to start off with. Borgio would not start in command of the entirety of Tilea and would start in command of only Miragliano and would lead a Miragliano faction.

So your scenario would not occur.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 13,456
    The contract mechanic from 3k is basically what I expect for DoW.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,931

I noticed the Dogs of War characters have been requested by many as a playable faction, but there is the trouble they're more of mercenary group rather than an empire building army. Then, remembering playing as Yan Baihu from TW: Three Kingdoms, an idea hit me: mercenary contract work.

The idea would be that the Dogs of War faction would be a horde group (bare with me), that takes out merc contracts from the in-game factions and is rewarded and supported through that system.

For example, the DoW could take a contract from a high elf faction to take out a specific dark elf faction. Once they agreed to it through diplomacy, the DOW get a bar they fill up by attacking dark elf armies and taking out settlements. They can naturally sack and raze enemy settlements and get gold from that like any other faction, but when they're on a contract, they can also give that settlement to their contractor. These actions will fill your bar and your contractor will give you rewards like gold, reduced upkeep, special items, and maybe even special units that the contractor would provide (like artillery, monsters, and special units themed to that faction). The idea is through contract work, your armies are supported through their mercenary work. And to improve upon the idea from TKs, your armies don't all have to be tied to a specific faction. For example, one leader could be set to attack the vampire counts for the empire while another is in Lustria, taking out skaven for the Lizardmen. And for the challenge, you have to maintain your contract bars by winning battles and not letting them expire over time. They eventually will run out through a number of turns and then you can take another one for that army (letting them expire or ending one early without the contractor wanting you to end it if they made peace or so would hurt your diplomatic relations)

Since the DOWs wouldn't be capturing settlements for themselves, their goal could be build up "reputation" or such (like the Vampire coast), and the game would be concluded (Vortex and Mortal empires) when they reach their max reputation. But in the mean time, reaching new levels could grant bonuses like increased gold, faster recruiting time, faster and cheaper horde upgrades, and even stuff like fear bonuses (like your army is so infamous, the enemy army loses leadership faster against you).

So do you guys think this is how we could see the DoW in WH3 or maybe even hopefully a future lord pack?

Yep for me a DoW faction is exactly a mercenary faction and your plan sounds very interesting. I suggest a couple of additions:
    1. Contracts with TEB are more valuable in order to highlight that relationship
    2. Instead of red, blue and gold skill lines , lords and heresies get points to seperate chaos, order and destruction(?) skill lines depending on the contract faction.
    3. Give a settle down option where the DoW can settle in one city to start an empire but they must declare for chaos, etc when they start their qyest for empire.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Giveaway412Giveaway412 Registered Users Posts: 472

Here some basic ideas i put together for how the dogs of war could work in total war

-snipped for length-

I think this is without a doubt the best proposed implementation of the Dogs of War I've ever seen. I love this idea so much, I couldn't see them doing it any other way.

Only two things I might change:

The Loyalty mechanic: I either think they shouldn't get this entirely, or that alternatively they might get a "Greed" mechanic. If your lords are too successful in battle, or aren't given enough pay from you, they might decide to split off and become their own outfit. IDK if they'd immediately declare war on you, but at the very least they'd leave your faction, and spawn their own faction on the world map.

Elite units: While I like the idea of elite units being tied to contracts, I do think the Dogs of War should get some elite units of their own, not taken from other factions' rosters. Marienburg Landships, Giants of Albion, etc.
    edited August 24

-snipped for length-

I think this is without a doubt the best proposed implementation of the Dogs of War I've ever seen. I love this idea so much, I couldn't see them doing it any other way.

Only two things I might change:

The Loyalty mechanic: I either think they shouldn't get this entirely, or that alternatively they might get a "Greed" mechanic. If your lords are too successful in battle, or aren't given enough pay from you, they might decide to split off and become their own outfit. IDK if they'd immediately declare war on you, but at the very least they'd leave your faction, and spawn their own faction on the world map.

Elite units: While I like the idea of elite units being tied to contracts, I do think the Dogs of War should get some elite units of their own, not taken from other factions' rosters. Marienburg Landships, Giants of Albion, etc.
    Thanks you for the kind words, with english being my third language i was expecting a schooling.
    about the loyalty mechanic i think a overhaul on this mechanic in general should happen as the way it is implemented right now is very barebones in my opinion.
    Maybe adding random events when lords loyalty is too high or low that depending how you respond (giving them a raise will keep them happy but will permanently increse the lord upkeep) they may keep working for you or split off, they probably should not be immediatly hostile.
    And with the elite units i think you are entirely right, it may be too punishing and kinda infuriating to depend entirely on other factions units; maybe adding some special settlements with land marks on places like marienburg, albion, sartosa, pigbarter and other famous mercenary hubs that you can occupy to unlock the recruitment of these elite units is a good addition.

Thanks you for the kind words, with english being my third language i was expecting a schooling.
    about the loyalty mechanic i think a overhaul on this mechanic in general should happen as the way it is implemented right now is very barebones in my opinion.
    Maybe adding random events when lords loyalty is too high or low that depending how you respond (giving them a raise will keep them happy but will permanently increse the lord upkeep) they may keep working for you or split off, they probably should not be immediatly hostile.
    And with the elite units i think you are entirely right, it may be too punishing and kinda infuriating to depend entirely on other factions units; maybe adding some special settlements with land marks on places like marienburg, albion, sartosa, pigbarter and other famous mercenary hubs that you can occupy to unlock the recruitment of these elite units is a good addition.

Don't worry about your English, it's very good. I had no trouble understanding you.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree Loyalty could use a rework. I mainly said I didn't want it in the Dogs of War as right now I find it more annoying than fun. So I think we are in agreement there.

I think that sounds like a really good idea. I like Dogs of War being able to recruit units from other factions, it shows how exotic they are, but I think they should have a full roster of their own stuff as well for multiplayer purposes as the very least.

So which lords and their companies should show up if they were added to TW:WH? Here's a list I see and why:

1: Lorenzo Lupo and Leopold's Leopard Company: Obviously this guy since he's very well-known on the tabletop. He's an eccentric warrior who dresses in his family's ancient armor, yet no one raises an eyebrow considering he's a bad-ass on the field. I see him as a hybrid-horde/settlement.

2: Lucrezzia Belladonna/?: I couldn't find what company is linked to her, but she should be a lord (if not leading her own faction, then as a special recruitable one like Alastor). First of all, she's a woman, so that adds some variety, but importantly, she's a very powerful spellcaster in lore. So if someone like Lupo would be a pure melee lord, she'd give the DoWs a spell-caster lord option. Not to mention since she's considered the most beautiful woman of her land, that could give her benefits to improving her troops and diplomacy.

3: Mydas the Mean/?: Like Belladonna, I couldn't find what his respective company was named. But he's a paymaster lord and their importance is second to actual generals. Since his abilities revolve around money and treasure, he could get benefits to trade, contracts, and improving his men through their salary. Not to mention this would be a step into introducing Araby into TW since he's from there I have read.

4: Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers. This guy and his company seem to be very big in the game, so its very likely they would added to the base faction (not including dlc and flc lords). I see them able to settle like Lupo, but are more focused on contract work rather than building their own empire.

5: Marco Columbo/?: I see this guy as a horde faction leader, rather than a settlement one. The idea here since he's an explorer who does mercenary work, he wouldn't be the type to settle or make a kingdom himself. He could get benefits to exploring, less atribution since he goes all over the world, and diplomacy bonuses to the lizardmen since he's one of the few humans to have good relationships wiith them.
    No Borgio, no deal.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

I believe Crossil is correct. Borgio is one of the most iconic lords from the Dogs, it'd be a sin not to have him.

I see Borgio (a melee tank), Lorenzo (a duelist) and Lucrezzia (a spellcaster) as must-haves for starting lords. The fourth one is more of a wildcard. We could go with Mydas, who has a unique playstyle and an Arabyan flair. We could o with Leitpold the Black, who represents the Border Princes. We could go with Morgan Bernhardt, who would pay tribute to a classic Warhammer game. Or we could go with Marco, who I'm tempted to avoid since he's long-dead, though I suppose Repanse muddies the water there a bit.

I believe Crossil is correct. Borgio is one of the most iconic lords from the Dogs, it'd be a sin not to have him.

I see Borgio (a melee tank), Lorenzo (a duelist) and Lucrezzia (a spellcaster) as must-haves for starting lords. The fourth one is more of a wildcard. We could go with Mydas, who has a unique playstyle and an Arabyan flair. We could o with Leitpold the Black, who represents the Border Princes. We could go with Morgan Bernhardt, who would pay tribute to a classic Warhammer game. Or we could go with Marco, who I'm tempted to avoid since he's long-dead, though I suppose Repanse muddies the water there a bit.

That’s also how I see it. The first 3 are a must but the 4th LL is definitely a wildcard. Next to the ones you mentioned I could also see Gashnag as a more exotic character, Jaego Roth as a Pirate faction or maybe even the mysterious Don Diego Estragon as a representative LL for Estalia.

There are many possibilities for CA and as long as we get Borgio, Lorenzo and Lucrezzia, I’m happy with whoever will take the 4th spot.
    Gashnag the black prince Works really well as the wildcard LL being a mage, a tank and a monstruous Lord that could fit in the border princes or even in the darklands.
    Not to mention he is ushoran 2.0 in the lore and will finally add a strigoi LL to the game.
    I didn't include Borgio originally because he's supposedly dead at TW:WH's lore time, but I suppose if Repanse is also dead now, that liberty can be taken for both him and Columbo (who I didn't know was supposely dead too).

Columbo could be the challenging DoW to play from my idea since he'd be very dependent on keeping up contracts to avoid going bankrupt. Plus many of the DoW would be set in Tillea or nearby, so Columbo could be positioned elsewhere like Lustria (since he's the first Old Worlder to be there if you don't count the Norscans).

So by how people want them, I'd say Borgio, Lorenzo, Belladonna, and maybe Mydas or Bernhardt should be the base in the pack, others as additional packs, and maybe Columbo as a flc.

In addition, should the other lord-less companies make an appearance as rivals and such?

Also, with the addition of the DoW, they could be added as an option to hire if you're playing another non-merc faction. They could be costly (and can go to war with you if you can't pay up), but can be useful to attack an enemy you're having difficulty with or not at the moment to fight (like say a faction just declared war on you while your armies are on the other side of the map).

One update to the contract system should be contracts should be offered to you in reason. One annoying thing I found in 3ks is how many times I had to say no to a contract because the enemy was on the other side of the map (And that's just on 3ks map. Imagine if a faction wanted you to fight another one that was a long ocean ride away). I would say you mostly would get contracts with factions that are in proximity to your armies and settlements, and fight enemies in your army's reach (like 2 or 3 turns of movement away at max)
    Borgio was alive during the start of Karl Franz's reign. You wouldn't really need that much to justify his inclusion compared to Colombo who lived a thousand years ago.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

I didn't include Borgio originally because he's supposedly dead at TW:WH's lore time, but I suppose if Repanse is also dead now, that liberty can be taken for both him and Columbo (who I didn't know was supposely dead too).

Columbo could be the challenging DoW to play from my idea since he'd be very dependent on keeping up contracts to avoid going bankrupt. Plus many of the DoW would be set in Tillea or nearby, so Columbo could be positioned elsewhere like Lustria (since he's the first Old Worlder to be there if you don't count the Norscans).

So by how people want them, I'd say Borgio, Lorenzo, Belladonna, and maybe Mydas or Bernhardt should be the base in the pack, others as additional packs, and maybe Columbo as a flc.

In addition, should the other lord-less companies make an appearance as rivals and such?

Also, with the addition of the DoW, they could be added as an option to hire if you're playing another non-merc faction. They could be costly (and can go to war with you if you can't pay up), but can be useful to attack an enemy you're having difficulty with or not at the moment to fight (like say a faction just declared war on you while your armies are on the other side of the map).

One update to the contract system should be contracts should be offered to you in reason. One annoying thing I found in 3ks is how many times I had to say no to a contract because the enemy was on the other side of the map (And that's just on 3ks map. Imagine if a faction wanted you to fight another one that was a long ocean ride away). I would say you mostly would get contracts with factions that are in proximity to your armies and settlements, and fight enemies in your army's reach (like 2 or 3 turns of movement away at max)

Like Tzar Boris and Azhag, he is alive when the game starts. The game begins with the coronation of Karl Franz, Borgio died 2 years later.