Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Furious Wild, need clarification on ...

JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 706
All I need to know is will this new DLC have records mode? Have not been able to find anything from CA on this. I will buy if it does. Just don't want to buy it to find out it's not being offered.
3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
Gun Cav in Shogun II should have a Retainer!
Give us another Avatar Campaign!

Comments

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,490
    You can play the DLC in records mode if that is what you are asking. However you will still have somewhat fantastical units like the Tigers.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    I think it should be playable on records mode, though to what extend the new Nan Man abilities and features work on records mode is yet to be seen.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,789

All I need to know is will this new DLC have records mode? Have not been able to find anything from CA on this. I will buy if it does. Just don't want to buy it to find out it's not being offered.

The DLC is playable in Records Mode, if that's what you're asking. One of the TW YouTubers played a battle with the new DLC in Records Mode.

If you're asking if the more fantastical parts of the DLC - like War Tigers, flaming maces, and fire gods - will be toned down to be more realistic or somehow different in Records Mode, then I think the answer is "no".
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,398
    edited August 23
    PartyElite is running a Mulu campaign in records mode, two episodes posted so far, here's the first:
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 706
    Sooooo helpfull, thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3 Kingdoms is a great game campaign wise. Make ranked battles in Records mode. Until that is done it won't be complete.
  • JacquestheApostateJacquestheApostate Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 706
    Now I know I am safe to pre order!
  • RooseboltonRoosebolton Member Registered Users Posts: 211
    TW is almost abandoning their original fan base for these fantasy needs...I am very saddened by this turn of events over the last 5 years. Atleast for the survivors we have this little olive branch called records mode.... All hail records mode. This is Sparta!. They want to steal our history for fantasy. Come take it !! We will die to last defending it!
    She's watching ;p
  • LoireLoire Registered Users Posts: 472
    While I'm not a Records player (might be in the future), I have faith that CA would not neglect Records. So far, IMO they have not disappoint in terms of listening to the fans and trying to deliver on fans expectations of this game.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,735

TW is almost abandoning their original fan base for these fantasy needs...I am very saddened by this turn of events over the last 5 years. Atleast for the survivors we have this little olive branch called records mode.... All hail records mode. This is Sparta!. They want to steal our history for fantasy. Come take it !! We will die to last defending it!

Speak for yourself, i've been playing most TW's since the first game (shogun) and im very happy with three kingdoms total war and i play romance mode.

And the whole character thing with actual historical generals is something i've been wanting for a very long time.

Troy on the other hand is too much fantasy even for me :D
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 419
    Laindesh said:

Speak for yourself, i've been playing most TW's since the first game (shogun) and im very happy with three kingdoms total war and i play romance mode.

And the whole character thing with actual historical generals is something i've been wanting for a very long time.

I always found it strange that some people genuinely believe these fan bases are mutually exclusive. I understand the mindset of wanting things to be at least somewhat grounded but acting as if they are abandoning practically the entire player base that followed their games prior to Warhammer is a little absurd.

I've not played Troy but from the things I've seen what mostly puts me off it is the way they have tried to awkwardly blend the historical and fantasy elements together. Essentially making it a fantasy game that is trying to pretend its historical.
    Jerroser said:

Laindesh said:

I always found it strange that some people genuinely believe these fan bases are mutually exclusive. I understand the mindset of wanting things to be at least somewhat grounded but acting as if they are abandoning practically the entire player base that followed their games prior to Warhammer is a little absurd.

I've not played Troy but from the things I've seen what mostly puts me off it is the way they have tried to awkwardly blend the historical and fantasy elements together. Essentially making it a fantasy game that is trying to pretend its historical.
    Yea, its not mutually exclusive and 3K isnt really that bad. Its biggest offence is the super strong generals in romance mode and thats pretty much it. In records things should be just fine. Alot of the stuff people complained about historical wise is getting fixed too (like proper names on locations, the moving of a mountain next expansion etc).

@troy: yes minatours, giants etc put me off massively..
    I dont think Troy tries to be historical or fantasy, i'd say its trying to be mythological.

as for 3K: I wonder if there's a general overhaul that makes them not so strong, but makes their skills far more relevant.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,789
    edited August 23
    Laindesh said:

Jerroser said:

Laindesh said:

Funnily enough... I'm a history fan; I prefer the historical settings and I prefer the more grounded approach that something like Records Mode offers.

But I honestly think CA Sofia have actually managed to make Troy - a mythical setting - more grounded and believable than 3K - an actual historical setting - with it's war tigers and flaming maces and fire gods and animal-whisperers.
    edited August 23

Laindesh said:

Jerroser said:

Laindesh said:

Funnily enough... I'm a history fan; I prefer the historical settings and I prefer the more grounded approach that something like Records Mode offers.

But I honestly think CA Sofia have actually managed to make Troy - a mythical setting - more grounded and believable than 3K - an actual historical setting - with it's war tigers and flaming maces and fire gods and animal-whisperers.
    I guess we're viewing it a bit different. ^^

Tamed animals is far more believable than cyclops and the likes. Though using tame tigers in warfare is farfetched. And ,well..., tame dogs, horses and elephants is actually historical accurate. So why not tigers for the heck of it?

animal-whisperers: Study the occult and what people did in the ancient times and you'll be suprised. Shamanism is a thing. :) Though mulu is probably exaggerated, him being a shaman in touch with nature is not.

Fire gods: Whats wrong with that? Kenshin was called the god of war, Guan Yu is worshipped as such. The japanese imperial family is allegedly descendants of a god too. What on earth is wrong with calling Zhurong a descendant of the firegod and making it a tiny bit religious? Sure its based on fiction (RotTK), but its not as if people havent claimed to be descendants of, or related to gods through history right? :)
    She doesn't claim to be a or the firegod either.
    Oh hell. Lets not get started the Pharaoh's godhood insanity either.

Flaming maces: Funnily enough i find this way over the top. Like really? Flaming maces? XD This is the part of the DLC i disagree with.

To sum it up: Animal whisperer and god of fire is grounded in reality (read religion, belief and shamans).
    Tamed tigers (whichi accept for coolfactor) and flaming maces though? not so much.
    Not sure what other units they'd replace animal handlers with though. Flaming maces could just be regular 2H-Mace unit.

• BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,066
    I always laugh a little at people who try to split the TW community between history and fantasy.

First of all - no TW game is historically accurate. There is no way they can be - because of the presence of the player. We can have the Celts conquer Rome or a dozen other historically inaccurate scenarios. Then you add in elements that we know for sure werent historically accurate - the most obvious example being flaming arrows - and the whole issue becomes moot.

Three Kingdoms gives players the tools they need to recreate a semi-historical experience through Records mode, but dont pretend it is historically accurate in the least. It is just a more traditional TW experience.

In fact, in my opinion, the Romance version does a better job of teaching "history," because it exposes new people to the cultural linchpin that was Romance of the Three Kingdoms - showing what people of that era/region thought was entertainment and legend.

That isnt to say that records mode isn't fun. I personally like that there is a mix of the two. But neither is historically accurate - it's just different ways to create our own fiction in a semi-historical setting.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,320
    edited August 24
    Funny tidbit btw, when the DLC bringing the Desert factions in Attila was released I actually wondered if we could have lions rather than dogs for the handler units (because Aksum faction leader had a Lion next to him, which actually prompted the guys from CA doing a steam about them - I think ? - to say "wow it would be pretty cool to have the guys riding lions in battle")

So I'm not even allowed to be mad at the Tigers (and tbf, I wouldn't be, Tiger are pretty cool)
    Post edited by Rewan on
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 502
    Rome 1 had Egyptian warriors from a thousand years too early and explosive pigs.

Medieval 2 had elephants with mounted cannons.

Shogun 2 had film style ninja running around throwing explosive bombs.

Rome 2 had artillery which would throw snakes and beehives.

Yes, Three Kingdoms does have silly units like trebuchets, tiger warriors and flaming torches, but it's really not out of the ordinary for Total War. If you play the game in Records Mode it's no less historical than other titles.
    Thanks for posting everybody. The bottom line for me is I am a pure historic player as far as the TW series go and I am worried CA will ignore the very people who supported them from the beginning! Anyone happen to notice that no one from CA jas posted on this thread.
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Registered Users Posts: 676

Rome 1 had Egyptian warriors from a thousand years too early and explosive pigs.

Medieval 2 had elephants with mounted cannons.

Shogun 2 had film style ninja running around throwing explosive bombs.

Rome 2 had artillery which would throw snakes and beehives.

Yes, Three Kingdoms does have silly units like trebuchets, tiger warriors and flaming torches, but it's really not out of the ordinary for Total War. If you play the game in Records Mode it's no less historical than other titles.

Pretty much summed it up nicely, TW has always been borderline fantasy to begin with.

Thanks for posting everybody. The bottom line for me is I am a pure historic player as far as the TW series go and I am worried CA will ignore the very people who supported them from the beginning! Anyone happen to notice that no one from CA jas posted on this thread.

Don't put it like that :P they barely ever answer anything on this forum as is regardless whats being discussed.

It's not just this thread and its topic.
  • DUONG91DUONG91 Registered Users Posts: 33
    While it may not be fully true to the era’s history, it’s true to the 3k novel. In the novel, there are descriptions of the use of tiger, snake, bear, rattan armor,...(not sure about the flaming mace though :smile: ). As following the novel is the intention of the dev, i think this is totally fine. In fact, i would be a little disappointed if there are no animals involved.