Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Concerning TW: 3K New LEgendary Characters.

Vercingetorix90Vercingetorix90 Registered Users Posts: 2
edited August 31 in General Discussion
With the release of the latest patch 1.6.0, I'm noticing a trend where a few Legendary character portraits are released along with almost every patch so far, which is interesting and it keeps the game exciting. HOWEVER, I feel like the Yellow Turban and the Bandit factions could definitely do with some more Legendary Character portraits. They're the ONLY ones currently with only 1 unique legendary character portrait (only their faction leader) with the exception of Yan Baihu's brother. ><

I wonder if the devs are planning to release even more character portraits. I don't mind them not all having unique abilities, I just want more unique portraits primarily. One can only hope!

Comments

• tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 698

With the release of the latest patch 1.6.0, I'm noticing a trend where a few Legendary character portraits are released along with almost every patch so far, which is interesting and it keeps the game exciting. HOWEVER, I feel like the Yellow Turban and the Bandit factions could definitely do with some more Legendary Character portraits. They're the ONLY ones currently with only 1 unique legendary character portrait (only their faction leader) with the exception of Yan Baihu's brother. ><

I wonder if the devs are planning to release even more character portraits. I don't mind them not all having unique abilities, I just want more unique portraits primarily. One can only hope!

the problem is in the case of bandits they didnt have any legendary characters as they werent even mentioned much at all. the turbans though could possibly have more. right now they are only adding characters that actually were in rotk and had a part to play
  • Ostubaf_CattoOstubaf_Catto Registered Users Posts: 138
    I think this because they spent a lot of DEV time to make Nanman model and character portraits, so I expect that for Expansion Pack, we will see less Han character portraits since CA will focus on the culture that they want to expand upon.

Chapter Pack will be the patch that we will see a lot of Han character portraits since it focuses on the Han faction.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,258
    I hope we get another character pack not tied to any chapter pack. Adding Zheng Jiang other half and perhaps Zhang Yan son...
  • _X99X_00_X99X_00 Registered Users Posts: 9
    i think there were some notable character & bandit group at that time & i hope CA add them

and here some of the character who served under zhang yan
    Li Damu - Bai Rao - Sui Gu (later join Yuan Shao)

and other black mountain Bandit leader like :
    - BoQue
    - Guo Daxian
    - Mei Cheng
    - Yu Du
    -
    and also their are anther group of bandit called the (White Wave Bandits) founded by there leader Yand Feng and here some of notable character :
    - Xu Huang (in 196 join Cao Cao)
    - Han Xian (in 196 join Yuan Shu)
    - Hu Cai
    - Li Yue

• stilesdinersstilesdiners Registered Users Posts: 53
    tadakatsu said:

the problem is in the case of bandits they didnt have any legendary characters as they werent even mentioned much at all. the turbans though could possibly have more. right now they are only adding characters that actually were in rotk and had a part to play
    Zheng Jiang was literally just a name on a list. They can at least give Lu Zheng one.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 815
    tadakatsu said:

They don't have to add unique legendary characters per se. All they need to do is to make unique armor for the bandits, just like the Yellow Turban armor for the generic characters.

In addition, CA is not strictly following the novel nor historical accounts. They are actually exercising a great deal of freedom and autonomy when it comes to content. Zheng Jiang is an example (which by the way created a big ruckus back when this faction was announced) and of course the role of Nanman rebellion in 3K is an exaggeration, this is partly thanks to Dynasty Warriors but most 3k or rotk materials excluded the Nanman for example the popular Three Kingdoms (2010) drama (90 over episodes) did not even feature the Nanmans.
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 318
    I'd be really in favor for a new type of DLC where they simply added lots of new characters. At this rate, simply depending on chapter packs for getting the bulk of new characters won't do since some characters already missed their chance to be relevant like Hua Xiong, Guo Si and so on.
    edited September 1
    'd be really in favor for a new type of DLC where they simply added lots of new characters

You cannot have characters only DLC.
    Rewan said:

'd be really in favor for a new type of DLC where they simply added lots of new characters

Did they say this anywhere?
  • JerroserJerroser Registered Users Posts: 405
    By the looks of it, they seem to be trying to add in a small batch of new characters with every patch, although in this case I believe there are fewer of them due to most of the time and effort needing to be directed at the Nanman characters.

I believe there are a handful of characters what did at least have backgrounds as bandits before they become important commanders under one of the main factions, so its possible they could be added in some way. The other thing is that at there aren't many more important characters to add who are known to serve one of the three bandit factions. Yan Baihu's main relevance historically is as one of the opponents faced by Sun Ce in his conquest of the south and ended after than with none of his own officers joining Sun Ce's ranks to become famous later. While Zhang Yan was also largely irrelevent aside from being one of the earlier enemies Yuan Shao needed to defeat.
    edited September 1
    maccabbee said:

Rewan said:

It's pure logic. And imho the principal reason that Chapter packs exist.

There is no "reasonable" way for CA to add characters in a paid DLC that wouldn't fracture all rules they have kept for DLC's for the campaign map. Even now, if you don't have MoH you can recruit Huangfu Song and Lu Zhi and you can confederate Liu Chong. I'm pretty sure that even if you don't have the Nanmans you will still be able to recruit them as a Han warlord. (if they are recruitable)

So characters are always the FLC : They could release more character FLC like the CP01 (with Pang Tong and co) but obviously there are some problem with that (many people, me included, complained that the CP01 characters had nothing special going for them - this essentially eventually led to the creation of tertiary characters)

(And if CA asked me to choose, I'd rather pick having characters that are nothing special rather than characters not being available on the custom/MP battles)

(Also I still really want CA to allow the Emperor and the Empress to be deployed in Romance mode past a certain point. And make them available in custom battles as well...)

If you want to compare, in WH2 Alarielle being in a lord pack meant she was not "confederatable" by High-Elves players that didn't have the DLC. Which was... something I felt really strong about (you can see me malding over here and have a laugh : https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/230261/steam-reviews-paywalls-and-the-effect-on-dlc-production/p1 )
    Post edited by Rewan on
    Rewan said:

maccabbee said:

Rewan said:

There is no "reasonable" way for CA to add characters in a paid DLC that wouldn't fracture all rules they have kept for DLC's for the campaign map. Even now, if you don't have MoH you can recruit Huangfu Song and Lu Zhi and you can confederate Liu Chong. I'm pretty sure that even if you don't have the Nanmans you will still be able to recruit them as a Han warlord. (if they are recruitable)

So characters are always the FLC : They could release more character FLC like the CP01 (with Pang Tong and co) but obviously there are some problem with that (many people, me included, complained that the CP01 characters had nothing special going for them - this essentially eventually led to the creation of tertiary characters)

(And if CA asked me to choose, I'd rather pick having characters that are nothing special rather than characters not being available on the custom/MP battles)

(Also I still really want CA to allow the Emperor and the Empress to be deployed in Romance mode past a certain point. And make them available in custom battles as well...)
    It's not an absolute rule since if you don't buy MoH, you won't see the Zhang brothers, He Jin, and Liu Hong, since they're killed off before the main campaign starts. Same with 8 princes.
    Also, my idea is that so that they can introduce a huge number of character from the get go without having to wait for another chapter pack where work will be divided between having to think up new units, new mechanics, new gimmicks and the characters themselves.

ROTK has hundreds and hundreds of characters. If we're just going to wait for chapter packs to add them, we won't be reaching even the amount of playable characters that dynasty warriors or the ROTK games have.

That is unless you are willing to wait for TW 3K 2.
    edited September 1
    Also, my idea is that so that they can introduce a huge number of character from the get go without having to wait for another chapter pack where work will be divided between having to think up new units, new mechanics, new gimmicks and the characters themselves.

ROTK has hundreds and hundreds of characters. If we're just going to wait for chapter packs to add them, we won't be reaching even the amount of playable characters that dynasty warriors or the ROTK games have.

It would have to be a FLC, not a DLC. Again, like the cp01. (I remember pointing out that the 01 left the door open for more character packs released alongside patches, unfortunately for now the opportunity just didn't present itself I guess, events didn't help...)

RotK has hundreds of characters, while I think that ultimately getting a unique portrait for all of them is a bit farfetched, do consider that we already have a lot of characters that are "recognized" by the game. Cao Ren, Cao Ang, Cao Pi (same goes for Fa Zheng, Lu Su, Lu Meng, and so forth) may not have a portrait but they have their career. And that is already a "step of recognition".

It's not an absolute rule since if you don't buy MoH, you won't see the Zhang brothers, He Jin, and Liu Hong, since they're killed off before the main campaign starts. Same with 8 princes.

Tbf I'm actually quite curious as if you could get Sima Liang to spawn somehow.
    edited September 1
    Rewan said:

It would have to be a FLC, not a DLC.
    It would be DLC so that CA would actually be motivated to put more effort into them. FLCs in both 3K and WH2 are a mixed bag in terms of content and quality but paid DLCs are almost always without a doubt more 'polished'. An FLC with a huge amount of characters will result in the same fiasco as AWB where most of them looked very substandard or even outright worse than what modders can provide.

Also, one last thing is that CA's word is never set in stone.
    Remember when they said they would never make DLC for DLC in Warhammer?
    Well they broke statement before and are about to break it again with their upcoming DLC for WH2.
  • Avenger237Avenger237 Registered Users Posts: 244
    Rewan said:

maccabbee said:

Rewan said:

If you want to compare, in WH2 Alarielle being in a lord pack meant she was not "confederatable" by High-Elves players that didn't have the DLC. Which was... something I felt really strong about (you can see me malding over here and have a laugh : https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/230261/steam-reviews-paywalls-and-the-effect-on-dlc-production/p1 )
    I don't quite follow why a Legendary Character DLC without any new mechanics will break CA's rules? It's basically just a graphics pack plus some new skills on the tree plus some additional characters playable in Custom Battle

If you don't buy the pack then your game will still have these characters except with the generic graphics.
    edited September 1
    An FLC with a huge amount of characters will result in the same fiasco as AWB where most of them looked very substandard or even outright worse than what modders can provide.

That's a ridiculous statement,

People may hate on Cheng Pu (I personnally took time to get accustomed to him) but he's genuinely a cool character in the end and he definitely looks like a unique character with a unique identity. (As both the Bandit Killer and Elder Cheng).
    And overall this "fiasco" only came in because people went full "Well CA just needs to hire more artists to make more uniques" which was ridiculous, quality > quantity. And working with fewer artists ensure a work that's more "consistent". Now that consistency is gone anyways so may as well just keep rolling with it.

Also, again, Huang Gai, Guo Jia, Jia Xu and Pang Tong were all released as a pure FLC content. Tell me how they are "substandard"
    Rewan said:

Also, again, Huang Gai, Guo Jia, Jia Xu and Pang Tong were all released as a pure FLC content. Tell me how they are "substandard"
    Read my post again. I said FLCs are a hit or miss. You can either get Yan Baihu tier content or you get the awfully drawn Cheng Pu, Ji Ling, and the Zhang brothers who could have easily been mistaken for generic strategists. Nevermind the lazy Xu Shu who was just reusing assets from the abandoned archer class.

Anyway, my argument stands. Paying money for DLC means better content, more pricey DLC means even better content. Compare the amount of high production value things in the nanman DLC compared to the measly chapter packs. So hopefully, with a DLC that focuses only on adding new characters, they can get Lulu Zhang and Beth Hobbs to work over time instead of other lesser skilled artists to fill in the gaps.
    edited September 1
    Paying money for DLC means better content, more pricey DLC means even better content.

Paying money for a Character focused DLC means creating a paywall within the game, and that will be unacceptable. Period.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,062
    Rewan said:

Paying money for DLC means better content, more pricey DLC means even better content.

Paying money for a Character focused DLC means creating a paywall within the game, and that will be unacceptable. Period.
    We got high quality mods for uniques anyway so im not fussed by CA doing things as they have done. about 8-12 uniques each dlc.
  • SanzquechievSanzquechiev Registered Users Posts: 77
    It is not worth a time to make dlc for only esthetics characters.. i would prefer install some mods (which i belive they can make "better and special" character) rather than paying dlc for visual upgrade but no improvement in gameplay
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 282
    edited September 2
    Counting the Nanman (while without dlc I imagine you would still fight them like the turbans?) there’s 10 legendaries being added . Just happens that 6 of them are Nanman officers .

I still have hopes yellow turbans would get Liao Hua , Liu pi and Zhou Cong and have them able to join Liu bei . They could always have these 3 have a turban and hanic version of these chars (early game they are turbans while at Guan du and later they become hanic ) I mean even a hanic pei yuan Shao is possible considering he actually could of joined Guan Yu at one stage (good what if for Guan du)