Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Known IssueDong Zhuo dies in Diaochan event, and Lu Bu cannot gain Momentum.

CyricistCyricist Registered Users Posts: 16
edited May 2020 in Multiplayer Bugs
Reposting this from the Reddit thread, per request.

Two bugs I was hoping to see resolved, both of which are absolute dealbreakers for me and a friend.

In multiplayer campaigns:

In A World Betrayed - Lu Bu cannot gain Momentum when playing battles in a multiplayer campaign. He gains Momentum from autoresolving them, but if you play them, he gains nothing.

In Rise of Warlords - The Diaochan event is broken. Whoever is NOT playing Dong Zhuo will receive a message stating that Diaochan is now a part of Dong Zhuo's court about 2-3 turns before Dong Zhuo receives the prompt to follow the story and hire her, and then once Dong Zhuo actually hires her, HE IMMEDIATELY DIES NEXT TURN.

The second and third events in the chain don't happen at all. For reference, in singleplayer, if Dong Zhuo hires Diaochan, then around turn 15 he'll have to choose whether to marry her despite Lu Bu's protests, or allow Lu Bu to marry her. If Dong Zhuo marries her himself, then Lu Bu will kill him around turn 20-25.

Instead, and this is entirely and easily reproduceable, Dong Zhuo is prompted to hire Diaochan on turn 10, and IMMEDIATELY DIES ON TURN 11 if he hires her.

(By the way, Dong Zhuo dying this way in a multiplayer game prompts the cinematic to play, but there is literally no event card that comes up to even explain why he died. It doesn't talk about Lu Bu murdering him. He just... dies.)

---

No mods installed. On whatever the current game version is. Extremely easy to reproduce.

For Dong Zhuo, literally just start the game with a friend playing anything other than Dong Zhuo, with you playing Dong Zhuo, and then just end turn to turn 10, employ Diaochan, and promptly die with the event being broken.

For Lu Bu, just start the game as Lu Bu, have your friend play whoever they want (my friend was playing Sun Ce), and then play that easy battle against Xiahou Dun. Even duel him if you want. You'll get no Momentum for it. Then, start over, and autoresolve that battle. You'll gain Momentum.

Both of these bugs super duper suck.
Post edited by CA_Vix on

Comments

• PhillyPhan321@gmail.com[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 72
    Yes, I keep telling CA about these issues as well but get no replies about them.

In addition to what you listed the event for Liu Bei to give Lu Bu peace with Cao Cao dosn't pop in MP campaigns.

As Sun Ce his reckless luck stat doesn't go up in MP campaigns. You don't get the missions to get all your generals and Yuan Shu doesn't ask for the territory you take on turn one making you build your capital and faction not in the south.

These are game breaking bugs for both of the 2 main characters in the new DLC that would have taken one play through of either in MP campaign to spot by CA themselves.
  • CyricistCyricist Registered Users Posts: 16
    Ridiculous. CA, how about some acknowledgement of these game breaking issues?
    Why was I asked by a CA employee to post on this forum instead of on Reddit, if my post was just going to be ignored here? Couldn't I just as easily be ignored on reddit?
  • CA_VixCA_Vix Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 432
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

I'd like to investigate this further, would you be able to provide me with some save.files for both yourself and the other player in your campaign? If you're unsure how to do this, details can be found here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/173614/how-to-find-your-multiplayer-campaign-save-games

Hope you're well and looking forward to hearing from you :smile:

All the best,

Jordz
    CA_Jordz said:

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

I'd like to investigate this further, would you be able to provide me with some save.files for both yourself and the other player in your campaign? If you're unsure how to do this, details can be found here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/173614/how-to-find-your-multiplayer-campaign-save-games

Hope you're well and looking forward to hearing from you :smile:

All the best,

Jordz

I'll see if I can today. But really it shouldn't be needed. You guys can literally reproduce these results for Lu Bu and Sun Ce in AWB on turn 1 as we have been saying for weeks now in multiple threads.

For Lu Bu in every MP campaign and you can check it on turn 1. Just start a MP campaign up and first battle against Xiahou Dun. After you win you'll see your momentum and prestige for beating him is not going up like it should. Delegate the next battle in front of Lu Bu against Xiahou Yuan and and the momentum and your prestige will go up. You can then start over and do it the opposite way, or delegate both or fight both battles. You'll see the momentum never goes up in battles you fight and always goes up in battles you delegate. Samething for prestige for Lu Bu for generals he is supposed to beat.

Then if you play the MP campaign out as Lu Bu a few more turns you'll see the event for Liu Bei to give peace will never pop off. Making the main character of the new DLC impossible to play as in MP campaigns unless someone finds a way to beat Cao Cao as Lu Bu.

And then from there as Sun Ce you can also see on turn one your reckless luck won't go up by competing your missions given to you. You'll also see on Turn 2 the events for Sun Ce don't pop either. Forcing Sun Ce to build his empire north of the Yangtze river and not getting all his generals.

So as I said I'll see if I can get a save of this for you but I really see absolutely no reason why you can't reproduce this on your own. It literally happens to everyone I have talked to on the very first turn of every MP campaign.
    edited May 2020
    ^ What this guy said. I don't have any save files because I didn't keep the saves, because of how ridiculously easy these bugs were to reproduce. Literally 100% chance to reproduce them. Literally impossible to avoid them.

The Lu Bu / Sun Ce stuff is easy enough, as was explained above. Dong Zhuo's bug is easy enough to reproduce as well. Absurdly easy, you might say. Here's how you do it:

Start a multiplayer game as Dong Zhuo. End turn 10 times. Employ Diaochan.

Immediately die because the next event is broken and doesn't fire.
    If it wasn't obvious, I am also looking forward to hearing from you, CA_Jordz.
    Hi all,

Apologies for the delay.

We've confirmed both issues and we are investigating this further in house. Unfortunately I cannot yet give you an update as to when these issues will be resolved but rest assured, we are working on this.

Thank you again for your time and detailed explanations of both bugs. Hope you are well.

All the best,

Jordz
    Hi Jordz,

Thanks for the response; I appreciate it. I look forward to seeing these bugs fixed, and will periodically check back in to see if progress has been made.
    CA_Jordz said:

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay.

We've confirmed both issues and we are investigating this further in house. Unfortunately I cannot yet give you an update as to when these issues will be resolved but rest assured, we are working on this.

Thank you again for your time and detailed explanations of both bugs. Hope you are well.

All the best,

Jordz

Thanks for confirming you are working on the issues.

Only thing though is you said "both issues". Just to confirm, are you actually investigating all 3 factions reported issues talked about in this thread (and a few others). Those 3 factions and their issues being:

1. The issues with the Lu Bu faction in AWB. Those being his faction not gaining momentum in non-delegated battles. His faction's prestige not going up for beating specific generals. And most importantly the event where Liu Bei gives you the option for peace with Cao Cao and to become Liu Bei's vassal after a couple turns into the campaign not popping up ever (without that Lu Bu has to fight Cao Cao with no money and no army making it impossible for anyone but the very best players to play as Lu Bu in a MP campaign).

2. Sun Ce issues in AWB. Those being, his Reckless Luck stat not working. His missions to get his generals not coming up. And the events with Yuan Shu not coming up where Yuan Shu takes that first city you take as Sun Ce on turn 1 for example. That first event being the most important because it forces Sun Ce to have his capital North of the Yangtze and just South of Cao Cao.

3. And then Dong Zhou in the main campaign where the Diao Chan/Lu Bu event chain is broken causing him to die no matter what you select.

CA_Jordz said:

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay.

All the best,

Jordz

Thanks for confirming you are working on the issues.

Only thing though is you said "both issues". Just to confirm, are you actually investigating all 3 factions reported issues talked about in this thread (and a few others). Those 3 factions and their issues being:

1. The issues with the Lu Bu faction in AWB. Those being his faction not gaining momentum in non-delegated battles. His faction's prestige not going up for beating specific generals. And most importantly the event where Liu Bei gives you the option for peace with Cao Cao and to become Liu Bei's vassal after a couple turns into the campaign not popping up ever (without that Lu Bu has to fight Cao Cao with no money and no army making it impossible for anyone but the very best players to play as Lu Bu in a MP campaign).

2. Sun Ce issues in AWB. Those being, his Reckless Luck stat not working. His missions to get his generals not coming up. And the events with Yuan Shu not coming up where Yuan Shu takes that first city you take as Sun Ce on turn 1 for example. That first event being the most important because it forces Sun Ce to have his capital North of the Yangtze and just South of Cao Cao.

3. And then Dong Zhou in the main campaign where the Diao Chan/Lu Bu event chain is broken causing him to die no matter what you select.
    Hi there,

So, in answer to your question, I had been referring to the issues with Lu Bu's mechanics, and the issue around Dong Zhou and Diaochan's event. As for the Sun Ce issue, I'll need to investigate this further. Ultimately the resolution will be the same as we cannot confirm the next patch date yet. Apologies for the confusion and thank you for pointing this out to be clarified.

All the best,

Jordz
    edited June 2020
    It's kind of mind-blowing that you forgot one of the three issues that we had been talking about the entire time. Didn't even investigate it until being reminded of it, despite it having been explained thoroughly already.

I don't know what to say, dude. Some of the responses here make me wonder if you guys are aware of all the other bugs with multiplayer? Like how the Zhuge Liang "Sleeping Dragon" event fires for the other player first, before it fires for Liu Bei, resulting in Liu Bei getting a random Zhuge Liang that just shows up in his court, and then gets a strange ghost version of Zhuge Liang when the event chain finishes, that isn't wearing any armor? Did you know about that? I'm feeling like you somehow didn't know about that.

Or the fact that it happens with Sima Yi pretty regularly as well?

What about the fact that for the original three Yellow Turbans - Huang Shao, He Yi and Gong Du - in singleplayer, they get missions within the first couple turns that will result in them gaining a silver weapon, but in multiplayer, these quests are mysteriously missing. Did you know about that?

Be honest here. Do you guys test multiplayer games AT ALL?

EDIT - If I seem frustrated and irate, that's only because I am definitely frustrated and irate. I understand it's not your fault, specifically or necessarily, that these things weren't tested. I apologize for choosing to word things aggressively instead of diplomatically, but I feel like this is pretty inexcusable and lazy behavior, to just straight up not test features in the games you release. Like... straight up not test them at all. These bugs always happen. You know? They literally always happen. They're impossible to miss. Any testing would have revealed them.
  • Rewan#2358Rewan#2358 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,830
    I mean events are really wonky in MP as far as I could tell.

Like the Xu Shu one between a Cao Cao player and a Liu Bei player, I got both Xu Shu events as Liu Bei and my friend then got his Xu Shu event after me (so Xu Shu left my court even tho I told him it was a trap and all)

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • PhillyPhan321@gmail.com[email protected]com Registered Users Posts: 72
    Rewan said:

I mean events are really wonky in MP as far as I could tell.

Like the Xu Shu one between a Cao Cao player and a Liu Bei player, I got both Xu Shu events as Liu Bei and my friend then got his Xu Shu event after me (so Xu Shu left my court even tho I told him it was a trap and all)

Yeah and they should be fixed. Or at least the major ones that are talked about in this thread.

I have never had that issue with Xu Shu you talk about though. But when one of us plays as Liu Bei we always follow the story and let Xu Shu leave because we thought if you don't then you don't get the Zhuge Liang story event since Xu Shu tells Liu Bei where to find him when he is leaving to go to Cao Cao.
    Why are these issues, if they are confirmed known not listed in the new 1.5.3 patch notes under the patch notes or under the known issues section?
    Well I've got a suspicion as to why they're not listed. I have this wild idea, entirely baseless I'm sure, that CA doesn't play, test, nor give a damn about multiplayer campaigns in the slightest. So why bother listing known issues? Better yet, why bother including multiplayer campaigns as an option if no work whatsoever will be put into them?
  • kismachaddiskismachaddis Registered Users Posts: 4
    So me and a friend have a multiplayer campaign on hold and were waiting for the momentum fix to continue it. I read the 1.5.3 beta patchnotes and there is no mention of the bug or issue. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm whether the bug is still present in that beta. (I don't want to make him download a beta patch if it wont let him gain momentum in the multiplayer campaign)

TY in advance.
    edited June 2020
    Hi all,

I just wanted to reassure you that despite there not being a mention of these issues in our most recent patch notes, this is not an indication that we are not aware or not planning to address them.

We want to resolve these multiplayer issues as soon as possible but unfortunately we have had to push back some fixes to a later date. I understand your frustration and but we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Hope you're all well at the moment and we'll let you know more as soon as we have an update.

All the best,

Jordz

• nev219nev219 Registered Users Posts: 3
    CA_Jordz said:

Hi all,

I just wanted to reassure you that despite there not being a mention of these issues in our most recent patch notes, this is not an indication that we are not aware or not planning to address them.

We want to resolve these multiplayer issues as soon as possible but unfortunately we have had to push back some fixes to a later date. I understand your frustration and but we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Hope you're all well at the moment and we'll let you know more as soon as we have an update.

All the best,

Jordz

Lu Bu MP game still unplayable. Would not have purchased had I known beforehand.
    HEY. WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THESE ISSUES?
    Still broke. You guys wanna get a hand in, maybe?
  • nev219nev219 Registered Users Posts: 3
    CA_Jordz said:

Hi all,

All the best,

Jordz

Yo, you posted this in June. It is now the end of AUGUST.
    I see the patch notes posted for 1.6.0. Good to see the line about Dong Zhuo dying immediately in multiplayer campaigns.

How about the other very easily reproducible issues? Sun Ce's unique mechanic doesn't work in multiplayer. Lu Bu's unique mechanic doesn't work in multiplayer.

Thoughts?
    The patch highlights changes to both sun ce's mechanics and lu bu's. Doesnt say what the changes are or if it's a simple fix but it's finally being addressed in a patch, so yay.
    edited September 2020
    I didn't interpret the wording there as any reason to be hopeful, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. Could be sooner if CA put any effort into communication, of course, but it is what it is. And what it is, is terrible customer service, for the record.
    Me and a buddy just tested and it appears the momentum in co-op/pvp is working now. So that's resolved and thats why i've been watching this thread, so ty CA.