Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Groms Mortal Empires predicament.

GreatGreyWolfSifGreatGreyWolfSif Registered Users Posts: 47
Seeing as how there is a new DLC coming in the near future, hopefully CA can address the problem that Grom has in Mortal Empires. I can understand CA's thinking when they put him on Ulthuan as that is where he is lorefully supposed to go and having him there from the start sort of cuts out the middle man. However he was doomed from the start when they put him there, like any faction would be if they were put there without any support.

I've been thinking of possible solutions and two that spring to mind are:

1- Move him to Massif Orcal, basically giving him the same start the player has. Not only will this help him survive longer but it's not far from Ulthuan and should be easy to reach if CA give his AI a goal of taking Tor Yvresse. Also as a welcome side effect this should put pressure on the Brettonians as they are lacking any major threat since CA nerfed Kemmler so hard he's afraid of leaving his starting province.

2- Bring back the Cult of Excess as Tyrions starting enemies. I believe doing this will allow Grom, at least initially, to fight Eltharion without Tyrion getting involved, Because atm since Tyrion has no one to fight from the start the closest enemy is Grom who starts with a big minus to relations with high elves so no matter what happens Tyrion will get involved and it's goobye Grom. This could also extend to introducing other enemies to the outer provinces of Ulthuan but I was only thinking of Grom atm.

Let me know what you think is there anything else that could help him survive? I had though of moving him to the Misty Mountains but that just seemed too far from Ulthuan for me and would just result in him being caught up in the Greenskins wars in the Badlands and never getting near Ulthuan.

Comments

• NikolabracNikolabrac Registered Users Posts: 154
    Just him have a more aggresive A.I. and/or just make Charce more defensive?
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 462
    Grom gets insta pwned unfortunately, 80% of the time i was able to get see him as Skarsnik, sending my free hero at level 1, and could confederate.

Perhaps the problem with Grom is, everything around him is unsuitable terrain. A human mind might be able to overcome that, but AI cant? I'm not sure, but he dies to soon for sure.
  • GreatGreyWolfSifGreatGreyWolfSif Registered Users Posts: 47

Just him have a more aggresive A.I. and/or just make Charce more defensive?

He's already aggressive, the issue is the odds are stacked against him straight away. Even if he defeats Eltharion somehow, Tyrion will come in and finish him. I thought about making his starting army more powerful but then he'd just beat Eltharion nine times out of ten and then the problem switches to Eltharion and him being wiped out super fast. I personally think it's a mistake having two legendary lords start so close to each other but that always going to be the case with Ulthuan being so cramped. If it was the same size it was in the vortex then Grom could have southern Yvresse and Eltharion could have Northern and they would have space.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,721
    edited September 7
    Yeah, bring back Cult of Excess. I don't know why CA ever thought that removing the starting enemy of the strongest HE faction was ever a good idea.

They should definitely move Grom. Although I think he could fit in Misty Mountain as AI as much as in Massif Orcal.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• 2ndmap2ndmap Registered Users Posts: 105
    Since CA have been toying with alternate starts, how about just giving Grom the option to start in Misty Mountain?
    That is his canonical home after all and would allow players to reenact his WAAGH out of the Badlands all the way to Ulthuan.
    -

Want to learn about the Dark Lands? Check this out: Video Overview of The Dark Lands

-
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,015
    Give AI Grom Massive Orcal but starting in Ulthuan, and AI Imrik Caledor but him starting in the Fortress of Vorag.

Both can get wiped out in ten turns otherwise, and as they can't be resurrected via rebellions it's a bit of a shame.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,682
    Crossil said:

Yeah, bring back Cult of Excess. I don't know why CA ever thought that removing the starting enemy of the strongest HE faction was ever a good idea.

They should definitely move Grom. Although I think he could fit in Misty Mountain as AI as much as in Massif Orcal.

Wasn't it because the DE always steamrolled them late campaign or something? I forget.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 2,296
    I think it is a problem, Grom should last more than 10 turns.

what @Arsenic proposes is the best idea so far, I think theres no other way.

Maybe full Ulthuan.
    Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!

Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo

Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 2,296
    Can we consider this something that needs FIXING?
    Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!

Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo

Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!

• GreatGreyWolfSifGreatGreyWolfSif Registered Users Posts: 47
    Crossil said:

I was thinking more with regards to him attacking Ulthuan. You could start him in the Misty Mountains as the AI but I can't see him ever going anywhere near Ulthuan.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 7,291

Can we consider this something that needs FIXING?

No, 8 like it, don't need to deal with govlin chosen
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 599
    Its a tough one, make a couple of changes and no more high elves... difficult to get the balance right for sure.
    But Tyrion definitely needs a decent starting enemy.
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 458
    AI Yvresse could have its second starting army removed, while AI Broken Axe gets an additional army at start.

Also the Cult of Excess could be added back in for AI Eataine to fight.