Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does anyone kinda miss the wonderful trailers like Mandate of Heaven and Eight Princes.

Striker345ifyStriker345ify Registered Users Posts: 96
I know this doesn't matter in a gaming sense, but I really missed the amazing cinematography and the astounding music of the older trailers; The Furious Wild pales in comparison to Mandate of Heaven and Eight Princes.

After the wonders of these 2 trailers, and a "sort-of" disappointing one (A world Betrayed), The Furious Wild was REALLY disappointing. There's not even a trailer music for it to be downloaded on Access.

The Dong Zhou, Liu Bei and Launch Trailer was so good I still replay them even now to get me kicking, whist the Mandate of Heaven and Eight Princes brings so much to the imagination. So when A world Betrayed trailer came out it was sorta disappointing that the music is not up to par with the previous trailers (though the cinematography was still the same good quality). My heart sank when A furious wild trailer came out and I was disappointed to heck. Not only is the music not good, and the cinematography about average, but it had the feel that CA didn't even put in the effort in this one, I seriously almost didn't buy the DLC cause of it, and I'm a total war fanatic (note: I still bought the DLC, even though my gut was telling me it wasn't worth it, glad to say after hours of playing my gut was wrong! Still it does show the value of a good trailer)

I do sorta understand though that circumstances like Total War Saga Troy having more priority resource wise since it has been recently released, and the COVID pandemic making people stay at home. It is possible that Total War Three Kingdoms has some of it's budget slashed to accomodate and that the development team had to use most of that budget to make the DLC instead of pumping it into a good trailer, and I would prefer that over a Good trailer but a disappointing DLC.

But still, I really miss the Great trailers CA had put out for Three Kingdoms. I hope the Trailer quality will be as good as Mandate of Heaven again~

Comments

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,691
    I kinda agree. The Dong Zhuo Trailer was my favourite trailer out of them all, it just speaks power, dominance and bad assery.

"I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,040
    I mean, every trailer for the game up until the Furious Wild was pretty stunning. It's an anomaly, not a trend.
  • maccabbeemaccabbee Registered Users Posts: 321
    edited September 2020

I mean, every trailer for the game up until the Furious Wild was pretty stunning. It's an anomaly, not a trend.

On reddit, it's pretty much confirmed that covid made it hard for CA to collab with the chinese studio handling the trailers. You can see this with MoH and then AWB when the pandemic was in fu swing, where it was just boring panning shots and monologues.
    Not to mention that the voice acting in FW is also very lacking. This could explain why Shi Xie sounds like a generic.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,040
    maccabbee said:

On reddit, it's pretty much confirmed that covid made it hard for CA to collab with the chinese studio handling the trailers. You can see this with MoH and then AWB when the pandemic was in fu swing, where it was just boring panning shots and monologues.
    Not to mention that the voice acting in FW is also very lacking. This could explain why Shi Xie sounds like a generic.
    Yeah, that's fair. Still, I thought the trailers for MoH and AWB were pretty great.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,445
    I thought AWB was good too.

I didn't find furious wild trailer that bad. The voice acting sucked balls, but the trailer itself wasn't that bad.

It's just that we got a global pandemic now :P and MoH + 8P hit a home run in quality.

• united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 885
    MoH soundtrack obviously had some native mandarin speaker as the vocalist and maybe had some foreign collaboration.

AWB and FW are on par imo.

Barbarian culture packs are just uninspiring, nuff said.

• Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 663
    I thought A World Betrayed and The Furious Wild did a good job with sitting up the narrative of their respective DLC, even if Meng Huo's voice sounded a bit off in the trailer.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K

maccabbee said:

Yeah, that's fair. Still, I thought the trailers for MoH and AWB were pretty great.
    No, I'm saying that MoH had wonderful cinematic direction and had the usual chinese singing and it came out in december, way before the virus was discovered meanwhile AWB came out when covid-19 was already in full swing hence the lack of singing compared 8 Princes, MoH, the other 3K trailers sans the Sun Jian one.

In a perfect world, Furious Wild would have zero narration and only music. MoH and Liu Bei's trailers wonderfully told their narratives through clever cinematography and amazing musical cues. It doesn't help that the english voice acting for 3K is kind of a hit or miss so the narration only hurts the overall feel.
    Vin362 said:

I thought A World Betrayed and The Furious Wild did a good job with sitting up the narrative of their respective DLC, even if Meng Huo's voice sounded a bit off in the trailer.

I'm personally disappointed with the AWB trailer. When I heard it was going to be a Lu Bu DLC, I expected a lot of dramatic action, with the centerpiece being the iconic siege of xiapi where Cao Cao orders the city to be flooded. I expected something like Lu Bu and his doomed generals (well except for Zhang Liao) standing defiantly against Cao Cao's massive army to the tune of a chinese song. Instead what we got was a rather slow narration about daddy issues with nothing much going on and the ending shot being Cao Cao anticlimatically approaching the aforementioned city during what seems to be spring (the actual siege started during the beginning of winter).
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,731
    Cao Cao anticlimatically approaching the aforementioned city during what seems to be spring (the actual siege started during the beginning of winter).

You are talking about the battle of Xiapi which happened in 198.
    AWB starts with the Battle of Yan Province I believe.
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 314
    It wasn't that bad but it was pretty by the numbers, showcasing everything it had to offer with the new units and stuff.
  • zakufa782zakufa782 Registered Users Posts: 85
    edited September 2020
    I think the Nanman trailer does a good job of showcasing the art style and unit variety of the pack.

As a fan of film and anime, I often found trailers for games are just boring advertisements focus too much on being flashy or eye-catching spectacles. So I really like how 3K trailers try to develop narratives and characters, and when the trailer does have epic spectacles, it serves the storytelling for the characters instead of just some grand theme. Especially the 8 Princes one is my absolute favorite as how it is able to handle so many characters with each of their personalities and roles in the story, even if I found myself often being critical on how video games romanticize historical individuals and history in general.