Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Amazons - Design Blog

CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 441
The Amazons are almost here! But who were they and how did we create them?

We sat down with TROY Game Designer Ivan Voulpe to talk about all things Amazons, from the part they played in the Trojan war to what inspired their look.

Check it out here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/from-themiscyra-to-the-aegean-designing-the-amazons/

Comments

• AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 513
    This is fantastic. Thank you for sharing. I was especially interested in the historical inspiration for the unit design, as my favorite thing about the DLC is that the Amazons look nomadic instead of stereotypically and period-inappropriate classical Greek in style.

I particularly found this insight fascinating: "This is why in game you’ll notice that skirmishers and spear-bearing infantry wear Thracian motifs, while axe and sword infantry have a more Phrygian look. The Amazon cavalry is inspired by Scythian elements, as befitting a horse tribe. "
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 906
    edited September 2020
    Cool interview with very interesting background Information.
    From the previews and gameplays they look very interesting in regards to gameplay mechanics, and I am lookong forward to them.

Though ollowing the truth-behind-the-myth approach I would have given them mixed-sexed units.
    I think it is more realistic that the ancient achaians encountered a matriachal culture in anatolia or elsewhere, where women were equal towards men, and were allowed to be trained as warriors and participated in battles alongside men.
    The pure warrior women aspect was then probably an exegeration of ancient storytellers, to differentiate them more from other cultures and to tell a more interesting story.

Still this aside they look like a lot of fun to play. Well done
    Post edited by sykall on
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 772
    edited September 2020
    sykall said:

Cool interview with very interesting background Information.
    From the previews and gameplays they look very interesting in regards to gameplay mechanics, and I am lookong forward to them.

Though ollowing the truth-behind-the-myth approach I would have given them mixed-sexed units.
    I think it is more realistic that the ancient achaians encountered a matriachal culture in anatolia or elsewhere, where women were equal towards men, and were allowed to be trained as warriors and participated in battles alongside men.
    The pure warrior women aspect was then probably an exegeration of ancient storytellers, to differentiate them more from other cultures and to tell a more interesting story.

Still this aside they look like a lot of fun to play. Well done

Interesting. We can find today in the Middle East a society that works that way: the kurdish society. The Kurdish women have an important role in their society (especially if you compare them with other cultures in the region) and they even fight in militias, side by side with men. I guess they are the "Amazons" of our Era.
  • MrCanisterMrCanister Registered Users Posts: 126
    Yeah or how about almost any progressive society today.
  • AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 513
    edited September 2020
    Sorry for contributing to any off-topic discussion: but for the record, I'm glad the Amazons are Amazons. There are plenty of men in every single Total War faction ever made. Let the Amazons be Amazons.

Anyway -- like I said, it's a great blog post and I look forward to seeing all the historical influences in action on Thursday.
    Post edited by AdmiralJello on
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,812
    I am very impressed by the general "distinctiveness" of each faction. We have very small scope of the campaign (Trojan War), yet each faction feels unique. Amazons are not an exception here.

At first I was not really interested in playing as Hippolyta (she took no part in Trojan War), but her mechanics makes me eager to try her faction.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,857
    edited September 2020
    Really like the design behind the Amazons, especially that they're almost a confederation of women from various peoples and cultures, and their clothing, armor, and weapons reflect that. Very cool touch.
  • GrandGeneralHaasGrandGeneralHaas Registered Users Posts: 3
    The amazons are out and I got the free code and used it but when I got to start a campaign it says I have to buy it which I can't because I already have it. How can I fix it?
  • epic_159850338460qSmQBRUepic_159850338460qSmQBRU Registered Users Posts: 26

The amazons are out and I got the free code and used it but when I got to start a campaign it says I have to buy it which I can't because I already have it. How can I fix it?

You need to go to epic games store and redeem your code. Had same problem.