Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

News fans shooting themselves in the foot...

ValkaarValkaar Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 2,241
I just feel like it needs to be said that the general reaction to the soon/Wood Elf announcement blog is precisely WHY we don’t hear much from CA between DLC launches.

Like what did it gain them to give us an update earlier? What did it gain them to clarify ‘hey no news for X amount of time’? In the past, people kept saying things like ‘why is CA radio silent for months?/why did they let the hype get out of control before clarifying that nothing was coming?’.

^^The whole past month has been why. Doing those things doesn't appease anyone (or at least not enough people), and doesn't actually gain CA anything. When they broke radio silence earlier than normal/ later attempted to temper/clarify expectations for future information, it garnered no goodwill from the forum base. The same number (if not more) asinine threads of ‘news request threads were created/will likely continue to be created. The same number (if not more) threads critiquing CA's information/release date policies were brought up.

The DLC timeframe/release date/production schedule is likely unchanged/identical to the Lord Pack pattern we’ve already experienced multiple times now. So production/time wise, nothing is different.

The only thing that changed was CA gave us more communication, rough timelines, and goal posts for when to look for/not look for new information.... ^^and doing so gained them literally nothing/probably only made things worse. So why should they bother? If radio silence gets the same (if not potentially healthier) response, it's surely less effort on their part to just maintain radio silence.

I’m NOT saying that CA’s communication is perfect. I too get annoyed sometimes when it’s mishandled like with the non interactive ‘chalice/monstrous secret’ teaser. I too get annoyed by use of the word 'soon'. CA can do better. I feel like they were trying to do better by releasing that blog that we got, but they didn't get rewarded for it at all. I understand/concede that not everyone is being unreasonable in their arguments/posts/frustrations.

However, can some of the more news rapid individuals not understand how you’re shooting yourselves in the foot here?

Comments

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,180
    So what you are saying is that the announcement will be made today? That's what I wanted to hear!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 13,078
    It’ll come when it comes. Whe should all chill and be patient.

There are other games to play or things to do in real life in the meantime and even if I‘m of course excited for the LP, there is no rush.

Currently really enjoying 3k again and still have to play Amazons in Troy. It’s a good time to be a TW fan.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 3,797
    Ca´s communication is atrocious when the Warhammer community is concerned.

The early announcement was a baby step in the right direction, but they should be much more open and inclusive.

But why should they make the effort? They clearly stated that we buy their product no matter what,
    and it seems like that needs to change if we want to see changes for the better, both in the communication and the Q&A departments.

Fun stuff that people use "but look at all the raving ungrateful fans still moaning for news" when it´s just the same few people who spams the samey old:

Seems like people go looking for stuff they can defend CA with.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,600
    I disagree I think CA made a very good choice with that blog.

This type of 'DLC for DLC' was always going to be risky and the playerbase could easily have gone crazy about it; they were walking on egg shells. If they had left the reveal for the trailer - all the questions we had (will we need the original WE DLC, What units would be missing, do we get anything for owning both etc etc) would have to then be answered in a rush - while CA are trying to generate hype. It only takes some ass like archwarhammer to blow it out of proportion and before you know it PC articles have headlines blazing (CA NOW MAKING PLAYERS PAY FOR DLC TWICE).

Instead we have had a couple of months to digest it, ask any questions and accept it. Overall the feeling for this DLC has been very positive. Yeah we are still all bickering about what units / lords might come; but that's normal. No one is speaking about the 'DLC for DLC' format and that is exactly what CA wanted.

So complain all you like that CA don't communicate (actually they aren't as bad as many think - but sure it could be better) but the blog was a really really good idea and has done them a ton of favours saving them from all the madness of the reveal.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,800
    So you're complaining that people are excited for news?

CA's communication is bad. Telling us the WE were going to be in the LP was a good step, but they could, and should have done more. It's no surprise that after they told us that we'd want to know more. It's been months since then. Of course people want more news.

Also if you look at the news threads it's 1-3 people posting them. It's a meme. It's people on the forum having fun. If you don't like them that's'all good, but they're hardly "asinine".
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • ERICdbsERICdbs Registered Users Posts: 415
    edited October 1
    Yeah, the problem here seems like they did the WE reveal just to beef up the dev blog because they couldn't yet talk about Game 3 due to covid. It now becomes apparent that there was no real new communication strategy.

So in essence many people here, myself included, got the message wrong. We thought this was part of a bigger communication plan, or that CA was willing to change their ways.

In reality, we basically got the same. Radio silence coupled with some very short and rather vague answers in reddit. Thus we've got the same, which is people complaining about communication, plus an added situation, which is people complaining about the lack of communication in a supposed new paradigm where more communication is expected.

In short, things may have gotten worse because of a failed interpretation on our part of an attempt at giving us something to substitute for Game 3's lack of news.

So what you are saying is that the announcement will be made today? That's what I wanted to hear!

What will you eat for dinner today?
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,592
    edited October 1
    It's not even "new fans". Its old established names on this forums, for years. They *should* know how things work but they delibertaly choose to ignore that and make their bitchy topics anyway. And that right then is not a sign of "News fans", but just trolls.

And yeah, for everyone who now feel specificly pointed out, you do that **** and actually wonder why this forum is such a mess? You can't **** in every corner while starting several dumbster fires at once and then complain about how nobody visits this **** neighborhood. Or how people rather make comments on reddit which has severly less problems with obnoxious trolls. If you want change and better communication, maybe start with behaving like civilised people and not impatient little brats.

------Red Dox
  • DaBoyzAreBackInTownDaBoyzAreBackInTown Registered Users Posts: 246
    CA do not care in the slightest if people are spamming the forums with posts demanding news or asking for more info, they just won't give it. Not too hard for them, I wouldn't assume that just because having people constantly spamming "NEWS NEWS NEWS" is irritating to you, that it is irritating to CA. Having customers literally obsessed and demanding to know more about your next product is generally a business's wet dream.

On the other hand announcing early had a lot of advantages, especially for this lord pack, . They were able to gauge the general reaction to the dreaded "DLC for DLC" issue. If there was an enormous outcry then they would've had more time to pivot to something else if needed or do some sort of pullback or damage control.

However as many people have predicted for a long time, the people who are adamantly against the "DLC for DLC" issue are a vocal minority. CA also handled it well they way they structured the lord pack to give more content if you own both, don't require the first to play the second etc. But there is a big silent majority of players who don't mind the fact they have to pay an extra $20 or whatever for some new solid content. I mean shieeet, AAA gaming companies these days are making players buy 10 times that to buy loot boxes for a CHANCE to get the character hat they want. I will gladly part with $20-$30 for new units/new lords/new heroes for MP (I pretty much only play MP due to bad battle AI). And I imagine for Campaign players the chance to play 3 new cool campaigns for the Wood Elves is well worth that cost too.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,291
    Oh it gained them plenty from my perspective. The reveal 2 months ago of one half of the LP was a lot nicer than not being told anything for all of five months. They could have replaced "soon" with "in the coming months" though to avoid confusion. "Soon" is a word that should be avoided by CA as much as possible as it seems their definition is a lot different than the public's.

From a personal standpoint I would have been slightly annoyed with the wait time without being told anything. As is now I am as mellow as can be.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,800
    Red_Dox said:

It's not even "new fans". Its old established names on this forums, for years. They *should* know how things work but they delibertaly choose to ignore that and make their bitchy topics anyway. And that right then is not a sign of "News fans", but just trolls.

And yeah, for everyone who now feel specificly pointed out, you do that **** and actually wonder why this forum is such a mess? You can't **** in every corner while starting several dumbster fires at once and then complain about how nobody visits this **** neighborhood. Or how people rather make comments on reddit which has severly less problems with obnoxious trolls. If you want change and better communication, maybe start with behaving like civilised people and not impatient little brats.

------Red Dox

Haha.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • JycceJycce Registered Users Posts: 295
    Valkaar said:

The only thing that changed was CA gave us more communication, rough timelines, and goal posts for when to look for/not look for new information.... ^^

The only thing we got is a "more news about this soon" and that was in July. I mean, we went from no communication to bad communication
    So I wouldn't appraise CA for this.

I actually prefered their old fashioned way "tell nothing if there is nothing to tell".

There is a lot of things that could be said about why CA does not want to communicate -especially on this forum- (no need for it thanks to loyal/fanboy community, spam of awkward threads, agressive forum members, "news today" threads ...) but people being hyped about the DLC is not among those.

IMO, what people want is clear communication : no more "no news this week/month/..." and instead "You can expect news in X months about [insert faction name]. Obviously this can change due to development issues." (People can understand this, usually they are childish only if you treat them as such).
    And maybe a more or less scheduled dev blog.

Tbh, I really don't care about the lack of news but putting it on players and not on CA's outdated communication strategy is what irks me a bit.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 2,251
    the game is currently boring and unbalanced, new DLC always brings hope
    Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!

Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo

Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,600
    edited October 1
    RikRiorik said:

Oh it gained them plenty from my perspective. The reveal 2 months ago of one half of the LP was a lot nicer than not being told anything for all of five months. They could have replaced "soon" with "in the coming months" though to avoid confusion. "Soon" is a word that should be avoided by CA as much as possible as it seems their definition is a lot different than the public's.

From a personal standpoint I would have been slightly annoyed with the wait time without being told anything. As is now I am as mellow as can be.

Soon; adverb
    1) Definition: in or after a short time
    2) CA Definition: At some point in the future - possibly.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 1,925
    Gotta be before Cyberpunk 2077.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 1,986
    The threads hopelessly begging for news arise from how stale this forum has become due to CA's lack of communication. If we had some info on future plans, at least there would be interesting speculation threads.

The state of this forum now is we have threads complaining about people complaining. That's a pretty dire place for this forum to be
  • BjornNorlinderBjornNorlinder Registered Users Posts: 464
    They should have never mentioned soon
    ArneSo said:

Yoghurt racuchy with fruits.
    Red_Dox said:

------Red Dox

... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

ArneSo said:

Red_Dox said:

------Red Dox

That sounds like something a WE would eat, I say there is a chance for a little teaser today. Fingers crossed!
  • LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 1,557

So you're complaining that people are excited for news?

CA's communication is bad. Telling us the WE were going to be in the LP was a good step, but they could, and should have done more. It's no surprise that after they told us that we'd want to know more. It's been months since then. Of course people want more news.

Also if you look at the news threads it's 1-3 people posting them. It's a meme. It's people on the forum having fun. If you don't like them that's'all good, but they're hardly "asinine".

This.
    "You stumble about in darkness. There is no light here, no mercy. Naggarond has claimed the souls of better heroes than you."
  • MikeBreedloveMikeBreedlove Registered Users Posts: 68
    More news posts is always a good thing, provided they have content they can share.

It excites the community and increases community engagement generating more buzz and speculation posts and vidoes which is just free advertising.

Where I can agree with the OP is in the community's lack of patience for content releases, while understandable that fans want their content as fast as possible, they should really at least take the time to look at CA's average release schedule times into account when setting their expectations and practice a little patience.
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Red_Dox said:

------Red Dox

That sounds like something a WE would eat, I say there is a chance for a little teaser today. Fingers crossed!
    It's Avelornian specialty. The dough is formed between the thighs of the Handmaidens of the Everqueen.

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,887
    This blog post was an improvement to the pretty atrocious CA's communication and was really well received by the community. People are just still impatient to hear news about it, that's understandable and this blog post isn't fixing that.
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 37
    I'm sure poor CA must be appaled than people are getting hyped and eager about giving them money
  • Eliak_The_Rat_MercEliak_The_Rat_Merc Registered Users Posts: 507

They should have never mentioned soon

This. "Soon" should be a month tops.
    I assure you, we are very real. And we have come for you and your realm.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 3,729
    Well it probably will be soon. "Nutcracker" got updated on the steamdb a couple hours ago.

Which BTW if you are familiar with the Nutcracker play Skaven seems more likely than ever...
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,887

Well it probably will be soon. "Nutcracker" got updated on the steamdb a couple hours ago.

Which BTW if you are familiar with the Nutcracker play Skaven seems more likely than ever...

To be honest that branch is updated quite often, the one we should pay attention to is probably the Press branch.
  • GuTaiYPGuTaiYP Registered Users Posts: 330
    Red_Dox said:

------Red Dox

Ohh really?

You've been behavin like 'civilised people' thus far and now do tell me what has changed till date? Almost nothing I must say. Because having your so called 'civilised' manners or not having of it at the least doesn't matter at CA's eyes. The only .... ing matter they care is CAPITAL, okay? They're already in motion towards full Epic integration and I believe you know why the reason anyhow.

Please stop categorizing people under stup*d labels and do open your eyes. I bet these meaningless fights gives CA the most pleasure for it draws the attention away from them.
    Some people are not known for questioning the things they've paid for. Is it a virtue one must have in Modern Times?
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 3,729
    neodeinos said:

To be honest that branch is updated quite often, the one we should pay attention to is probably the Press branch.
    Yeah that usually means we get the announcement soon.

To be honest I kinda just wanted to point out possible skaven ties. Just because at this point I want Skaven 40% cause I like clan Moulder, 60% because I want to watch people throw a fit.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 3,034

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Red_Dox said:

------Red Dox

It's Avelornian specialty. The dough is formed between the thighs of the Handmaidens of the Everqueen.
    ...That's not the type of yeast that you use for dough... someone please get the braindead elgi a damned halfling chef!
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.