Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

On A Scale of 1-10 How Much Did You Enjoy The Inclusion of The Vampire Coast

SaborSabor Registered Users Posts: 574
Good afternoon fellow Warhammer fans. I am currently working on another thread of how to make sieges enjoyable, but while I was analyzing each race I came to The Vampire Coast. I started going over each unit and what made them unique and their strengths and weaknesses. It go me thinking about how much people actually enjoyed the faction overall.

https://strawpoll.com/dr84jqdsf

I created a poll listed above and I ask that people look at the faction on its own. Please do not give it a 1 if you hate Cylostra and do not give it a 10 if you are a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean. I want to know how you enjoyed their armies, faction mechanics, and inclusion into the Warhammer world to add more depth to the setting.

For me...
Pros: -Fun roster
-Diverse Lore
-Some gorgeous units (See necrofex colossus/Leviathans)
-Hybrid hoard mechanics
-Unique starting positions
-Adds a layer of depth to the world

Cons: -While some units are amazing, others feel lazy or uninspired (see terrorgheists/undead wolves).
-Too many faction mechanics, makes other races feel meh in comparison.

Indifferent: -They can play expansionist or hoard style (I feel like they can do too much, but it's ultimately player choice).
-Cylostra direfin (I like CA being able to stretch their creative muscles, but I'm just not a fan of her. She is OK overall).

For those reasons I gave them an 8/10, they are really fun! They add a lot, but definitely feel like they could have had just a little bit more or a little bit less in some areas to make their roster perfect.

(Final personal gripe. I love the giant crab Leviathans. But since we had the prometheans I would have loved to see and undead kraken carcass or even whale carcass pulling itself across the battlefield.)

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,289
    7/10

They tick all the boxes that a race pack should. But they’re just not my preferred style. I’d give it a 8 if they did something different with Saltspite and Cylostra.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,427
    4/10 the faction is bloody broken
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • BjornNorlinderBjornNorlinder Registered Users Posts: 805

Real fun roster and campaign.
    Couldn't have asked for more except a unit or two like an undead merwymm.

Now that would be sick
  • nikamika12345nikamika12345 Registered Users Posts: 537
    edited October 2020
    8/10 i really enjoyed my Aranessa campaign which i lost 😃, notm y favorite race so i give them big fat 8 out of 10.
  • SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 570
    The Coast has my personal favorite lore of magic. Lore of the Deeps not only looks and sounds incredible, it has some very useful spells.

I'm the odd one out here and think Cylostra is the only decent Lord in the DLC.

On the other hand, I hate undead in general, its tired and just isnt my style. Though I'll admit zombie pirates is a fun idea.

Gave them a 5/10.

Gunpowder and water magic is great. The rest is pretty meh, and has the tendency to feel sort if cobbled together.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 6,507
    The 2 actual LL's are fun, and characterful, and loreful.

The biggest failures are the other 2 lords, and the fact we didnt get a real human pirates option from either of them.

Cylostra is made up CA Fan Fic, and should be deleted.
    Campaign Management is for suckers.

• TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,852
    10 out of 10 a brilliant surprise with an absolutely amazing roster, choice of LLs and story for the vortex map

• Polar_IceCreamPolar_IceCream Registered Users Posts: 117
    edited October 2020
    8/10

I actually really enjoy playing VC I think they’re great fun. I definitely feel like some of the units are lacking though and seem to only play a part as cannon fodder as opposed to a unit you can actually rely on to win the fight. I do wish VC played more of a “Pirate” role and what I mean by this is not spending too much time conquering inland settlements and actually raiding and sacking coastal locations around the map. Would be nice to see Luthor Harkon actually travelling over to the Empire or Saltspite moving around the world as they don’t actually need their starting locations as a semi horde faction
  • YakintonYakinton Registered Users Posts: 414
    8/10

-1 for Delefiin(or how its spelled), I don't mind that they created an original lord. But a silly and goofy lord I don't like.

-1 Arnessa, she and Sartosa should not have been part Vampirates.
  • BigbadbearpieceBigbadbearpiece Registered Users Posts: 112
    Timpeyo said:

10 out of 10 a brilliant surprise with an absolutely amazing roster, choice of LLs and story for the vortex map

What this man said.
    Beautiful Race Pack and excellent value for £.

More LL for Wood Elves please.
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 1,031
    9/10
    Great pack.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 12,664
    edited October 2020
    Pretty damn good, once you get past the bemoaners who would prefer factions composed of nothing but standard humans with a couple special units.

Let me put it like this, sure, they have reskins, some of which are lazy, but these are completely unique to them, animations and model wise:

Bloated Corpse
    Deck Gunners
    Queen Bess
    Cylostra(completely her own animations and model, even if you dislike her addition)
    Prometheans
    Necrofex Colossi
    Mournguls

That is a pretty nice list of things. On top of that I really like the Animated Hulks even if they use Chaos Spawn/Treekin animations and base model structure.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• MythrilSoulMythrilSoul Registered Users Posts: 909
    6, cool to see obscure factions see the light of day but come on CA where is my DOW?
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,230
    Gonna be contrarian here.

Initially, actually 9/10, but I grew to resent the campaign and how they are all master of all the trades. Their Horde bonuses should only be gained while at sea or near the coast, it doesn't make any sense that I can insta recruit nearly a 20 stack deep into the heartlands of Lustria. They should be incentived and designed around the sea and piracy, not Empire building. Which they are when they have majority of habitable zones and recruit anywhere.

Overall 9/10 for the pack it self, units and effort. 4/10 for their campaign design (Not the narrative one). 10/10 for their inclusion.
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,356
    A truly creative Campaign Pack. While I expected the Dogs of War, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Vampire Coast. Some of their mechanics could use some tweaking, and I disagree with some of the lord choices, but otherwise a remarkably good Campaign Pack. I gave it 8/10.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Registered Users Posts: 1,908
    8/10

-1 for being the second undead race DLC in a row
    -1 for design issues like Saltspite and being horde on land

Otherwise, everything else is good, including Direfin.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,731
    It’s an excellent value in terms of potential hours for dollars spent. It still holds the title for best cut scenes in the game. You can play each campaign with multiple strategies, focusing on your empire, or your hoard, or your coves. You can monster mash just as viably as rely on ranged. And! It came alongside excellent ocean/wreck reworks that gave you things to do at sea!

A few nitpicks:

1. I felt Aranessa’s implementation was a missed opportunity for a truly hybrid roster. But she’s the only lord I felt was ‘half-assed. Even Direfin has a distinct identity playstyle wise and is incredibly powerful at what she does. The same can’t be said for Aranessa.

2. I feel like ‘traditional’ land expansion should have been more limited to keep things thematic/represent that they don’t fare as well on land. More expensive buildings the further you are from a port perhaps 🤔 or maybe nerfs to movement range? I’m not sure, but I think it actually cheapens the faction that they get best of both worlds in terms of ocean vs land growth.

3. Needed something better for Amanar. And I’m not just talking about Merwyrns as a unit. Like his raids felt inconsequential, as did gaining control over him. For as pivotal as he was to the cutscenes, he just didn’t matter to the gameplay, which felt weird.

In terms of ranking, I should also add, that the whole ‘vampirate’ idea just isn’t my cup of tea to start with. So for me personally, I enjoyed it well enough but it’s not one of my favorite races. So for ME, I’d give an above average, 6.5 out of 10.

But I also think it’s CA’s best race pack so far in terms of being packed with content and replay-ability. So to just an average fan, I’d recommend it more enthusiastically with an 8.5 out of 10.
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,398
    9/10. Love those handgunners, one of my fave units in the game once they get to absolute shred level. Harkon is a fun and interesting guy, i like him campaign verily.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,520
    edited October 2020

Gonna be contrarian here.

Initially, actually 9/10, but I grew to resent the campaign and how they are all master of all the trades. Their Horde bonuses should only be gained while at sea or near the coast, it doesn't make any sense that I can insta recruit nearly a 20 stack deep into the heartlands of Lustria. They should be incentived and designed around the sea and piracy, not Empire building. Which they are when they have majority of habitable zones and recruit anywhere.

Overall 9/10 for the pack it self, units and effort. 4/10 for their campaign design (Not the narrative one). 10/10 for their inclusion.

Totally agree with this. Too present on land- for a long time they conquered half of Lustria and still seem too interested invading the continental interiors. I think they should have their habitable range swapped with Norsca- that would make far more sense and improve both campaigns.

Roster is pretty fun and the lore of the deep is one of the best looking and useful lores. It would be great if a couple other factions could have casters that used it. Norsca, Bretonnia, High Elves, Dark Elves, and Dogs of War/Araby.

First play thru was a 8/10, subsequent plays went down to 6/10.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.
  • ERICdbsERICdbs CataloniaRegistered Users Posts: 623
    They are pretty cool, enough to warrant an 8 or even a 9. The problem I see is that poor regular VC faction is kinda outclassed by them. It just bothers me a bit how strong they can be compared to the regular masters of the night. So for powercreeping reasons I must reduce it to a 7.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 10,670
    I gave it a 5. It’s an okay addition. I like all of the Lords in terms of their characters. Who they are and how they are presented. I think their roster has some elements which are excellent and others which don’t feel like they really fit in or feel like they were just reused from elsewhere to flesh out the roster. Like their roster their mechanics are a bit of a hodge podge. Overall I think they lack a bit of streamlining or direction. They are my least favourite race in game.

I would have been utmost content with only Luthor and Noctilus though. Or even just Luthor. Their exaggerated presence is out of sorts.

Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,249
    I absolutely love the Vamp Coast. I think Cylostra brings a very interesting background for a LL and really enjoy the gun line game play.

I flag however that my favourite Vamp Coast character is Aranessa but that is only because I have a mod which gives her a mortal pirate faction. Which I use to hunt down the undead pirates. Nanu’s mod.

Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • MrDragonMrDragon Registered Users Posts: 2,332
    8/10
    Fun flavour, cool aesthetic, enjoyable to play, fairly unique, decent range of start positions and... giant enemy crabs!
  • DrownedHoundDrownedHound Registered Users Posts: 6,616
    Valkaar said:

It’s an excellent value in terms of potential hours for dollars spent. It still holds the title for best cut scenes in the game. You can play each campaign with multiple strategies, focusing on your empire, or your hoard, or your coves. You can monster mash just as viably as rely on ranged. And! It came alongside excellent ocean/wreck reworks that gave you things to do at sea!

A few nitpicks:

1. I felt Aranessa’s implementation was a missed opportunity for a truly hybrid roster. But she’s the only lord I felt was ‘half-assed. Even Direfin has a distinct identity playstyle wise and is incredibly powerful at what she does. The same can’t be said for Aranessa.

2. I feel like ‘traditional’ land expansion should have been more limited to keep things thematic/represent that they don’t fare as well on land. More expensive buildings the further you are from a port perhaps 🤔 or maybe nerfs to movement range? I’m not sure, but I think it actually cheapens the faction that they get best of both worlds in terms of ocean vs land growth.

3. Needed something better for Amanar. And I’m not just talking about Merwyrns as a unit. Like his raids felt inconsequential, as did gaining control over him. For as pivotal as he was to the cutscenes, he just didn’t matter to the gameplay, which felt weird.

In terms of ranking, I should also add, that the whole ‘vampirate’ idea just isn’t my cup of tea to start with. So for me personally, I enjoyed it well enough but it’s not one of my favorite races. So for ME, I’d give an above average, 6.5 out of 10.

But I also think it’s CA’s best race pack so far in terms of being packed with content and replay-ability. So to just an average fan, I’d recommend it more enthusiastically with an 8.5 out of 10.

Yeah those are the reasons that I would give it an 8/10.

Also kind of annoyed that they didn't take the time to actually reskin some of the units. Reskin the dogs and syreens and remove the little bats.

I'm slightly miffed about the Deathshriek though they at least gave it a nice retexture. Personally I think the only flying units should have been deck droppers and then, you know, the same ol song and dance about undead Merwyrns as their 4th big unit.

Also isn't Amanar supposed to be red?
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 14,427

Valkaar said:

A few nitpicks:

Yeah those are the reasons that I would give it an 8/10.

Also kind of annoyed that they didn't take the time to actually reskin some of the units. Reskin the dogs and syreens and remove the little bats.

I'm slightly miffed about the Deathshriek though they at least gave it a nice retexture. Personally I think the only flying units should have been deck droppers and then, you know, the same ol song and dance about undead Merwyrns as their 4th big unit.

Also isn't Amanar supposed to be red?
    they couldn't make amanar work according to youtubers who work with CA but the model is in game, too big for current engine
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,315
    9/10 for me and it is my favorite faction. It's not a perfect 10/10 for me because of some campaign mechanics missed opportunity and saltspite herself being misplaced if you ask me.

For the campaign mechanics, I wished they had the same limits as Norsca. With their boat/horde mechanic and being limited to coast/islands, I think it would have given them more of a pirate feel. Although I am aware that a lot of people would have hated this approach to them.

As for Aranessa Saltspite, she would have made more sense as Dog's of War, if they ever come. It's even in Sartosa's lore that it's armies backbone is DoW mercenaries.

Except for that, my favorite race!
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,945
    9/10

Their aesthetics are great. Their playstyle is unique compared to other factions. Their theme is funny. They enrich the setting itself.
    I like them very much and hope to see other CA supplemented factions in the future.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 484
    9 / 10 for me. Great race pack. One of my favourite LL in Cylostra, coupled with great mechanics.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,310
    I'll try to be objective as possible as I was incredibly biased against them when they first came out.

2 great lords and 2 "meh" lords. Saltspite is the poster-girl for "one of these things doesn't belong here" and Cylostra is just uninspiring. I was already skeptical of OC LLs and they just didn't deliver IMO. So they break even, no points awarded in that category.

Some really cool and novel mechanics but also some lazy copy/paste mechanics that just don't seem to fit their race. This contributes to their campaign being both overstimulating and tedious at the same time trying to stay on top of all of them. I'll award 1 point for the innovative ones.

The roster is pretty great albeit with some questionable additions. The Terrorgheist is out of place and I'm a bit perplexed on why Mournguls got a hero while Syreens (a hero from the original list) did not. 2 points for the roster.

Aesthetics/ Theme/ "Feel" is pretty cool. 1 point for that.

Overall campaign contribution was very heavy handed at first, with VCoast factions dominating wherever they went but it was eventually rightfully toned down. The way they handled encounters at sea made them more dynamic although I'd like to see a bit more variety in the types of armies you can face; it's ALWAYS a VCoast army. Why not have you face some armies based on some of those Rogue Fleets? But overall they're fun to play and fun to fight against. I'll give 'em a point for that.

So overall they get 5/10. They're not boring, broken, or incomplete like some other races I could mention.
    Ingr8 said:

A very good interpretation of the DoW faction and far more interesting than it otherwise would have been!

What Dogs of War faction is that?
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,080
    8/10

-2 for no Jaego Roth and a few more human units.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.