Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Minimum range for Spells was in the right direction

another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 2,738
Whoever designed casting range having minimum range had amazing foresight or just plain luck.

Giving spells no minimum range gives casters an amazing jail free card . Aoe spells dont punish single entity and only hurt multi units making casters a permanent bait.

They should be punished if they are left alone, so they need to be protected or kept at a distance.

CA, if you want these aoe spells to be useful. Make bombardment spells casting time faster by a second since they have to fall from the sky.
Vortex spells need to be cheaper WOM or better control.

This would also help against corner camping, box or forest box. Its one rock two birds.

For SP, just get another caster and drop it ontop of your surrounded caster

Comments

• Totentanz777Totentanz777 Registered Users Posts: 261
    Yea this is gonna be an absolute game changer. The new meta will probably be run into combat and get people blobbed on you then cast a huge AOE spell on top of yourself and deal massive damage. I'm not sure that scrapping the minimum range is a good idea but I'll want to test it out a bit before coming to any conclusions.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,016

Yea this is gonna be an absolute game changer. The new meta will probably be run into combat and get people blobbed on you then cast a huge AOE spell on top of yourself and deal massive damage. I'm not sure that scrapping the minimum range is a good idea but I'll want to test it out a bit before coming to any conclusions.

but that's already the meta, it's hardly a change at all. The only difference is right now you send in some other "bait" and cast your spell, vs going forward you can choose to use your mage as 'bait'. It's nice, but it's hardly a big deal.
  • Totentanz777Totentanz777 Registered Users Posts: 261
    eumaies said:

but that's already the meta, it's hardly a change at all. The only difference is right now you send in some other "bait" and cast your spell, vs going forward you can choose to use your mage as 'bait'. It's nice, but it's hardly a big deal.

I guess it was to an extent, but for units like slann, Orion, etc. you are gonna be punished super heavily for sending units like spears to surround them. I guess you could already do that but just use some other unit to gather everyone around but I think certain characters will really benefit from this.
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 2,738
    eumaies said:

The big change is that its also a jail free card for casters to get away from trouble

It happens in a certain extent but this is just making it worse
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 28,394
    Just make spells more effective against SEs. That would also fix the current exploit it allows or at least make it more costly if you had to actually sacrifice a unit for it to work.

• Green0Green0 Registered Users Posts: 7,477
    yep agreed, bad change as well. You can now cast Tempest or Pit of Shades while in melee.
    mightygloin_fan_1
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,044
    Does this change make hybrid caster lords very strong?

Because infantry and cav is no longer effective for sniping casters so you need to use characters more but casters like malekith can fight back
  • SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,506
    Yes, not sure I like this change...
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 756
    Bear in mind the knockdown changes for footlords/heros and infantry. A caster can get deleted very quickly now if surrounded. Presumably these changes will impact all caster, mounted or not and make them far more vulnerable.
    This change might have been neccessary.
  • SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,506
    Well, that's not going to affect Mazdamundi on Zlaaq much, or Teclis on Parrot, or Durthu, or Kroak or... you get the gist.

Keep in mind that changes are only for characters on foot. Caster on a horse if caught were easy to kill even before. It is not a good change, at least on paper.

We will see how it plays out.

Well, that's not going to affect Mazdamundi on Zlaaq much, or Teclis on Parrot, or Durthu, or Kroak or... you get the gist.

Keep in mind that changes are only for characters on foot. Caster on a horse if caught were easy to kill even before. It is not a good change, at least on paper.

it feels alot though like the kind of thing where if it had always been this way no one would bat an eye. Durthu already has an AOE on himself for example... it's a potent option but people adapt and he was generally always able to use flocks of doom at range on whatever good blob presented itself. In other words avoiding blobbing anywhere within 150m of a mage has always been a good idea, now that just happens to include around the mage as well.
    Sword of daith is powerful indeed, but its now making the problem worse with any vanilla caster with a powerful aoe spell can do it.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 8,513

Not really lets say you managed to surround mazda on zalaaq with questing knight ror. Then mazda just put a bound banishment on top of him self bye bye qk ror.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,066
    Although I agree this is a bad step, it will really change very little.

- AoE direct damage spells like Sword of Daith or soulstealer are not affected at all.

- Wind and breath spells are not affected at all. They were already able to punish a blob while the caster was in it.

- Vortex and bombardment spells were rarely taken. So this will benefitt at least the least used spells.
    Pocman said:

Although I agree this is a bad step, it will really change very little.

- AoE direct damage spells like Sword of Daith or soulstealer are not affected at all.

- Wind and breath spells are not affected at all. They were already able to punish a blob while the caster was in it.

- Vortex and bombardment spells were rarely taken. So this will benefitt at least the least used spells.

Very well said. This was already a “thing”.
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 1,357
    Foot wizard took a big hit when they removed much of the stagger safety.
    Bastilean said:

it was kinda stupid that sometimes, my carnosaur can take forever to kill a foot mage, but sometimes almost instantly because of how stagger works.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 3,477
    Well on the plus side, this will help mage LLs who got nuked by these changes.
  • glosskilosglosskilos Registered Users Posts: 1,231
    edited November 2020
    Bastilean said:

This nerfs lizardmen skink priests the most because they have to either be on foot or the expensive terradon mount
  • CA_DuckCA_Duck Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 1,612
    The main motivation behind the change was to make targeted spells more user-friendly to use. It wasn't exactly intuitive which spells had a minimum range and there was no visualisation of what the minimum range is. Now the targeting logic for spells should generally be more consistent and easier to use.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • DaBoyzAreBackInTownDaBoyzAreBackInTown Registered Users Posts: 253
    Good usability change, dropping banishments etc on your head is going to be a risk but the solution there imo should be that vortexes should be doing more damage to Single entities/low model count units instead. If dropping a banishment on your own head did 2-3k damage, people would stop doing it pretty quick (or only doing it when desperate).

This would be a good change for campaign as well where currently a well-known tactic is to basically send out a juiced lord or hero, cause a big blob, then vortex it.
    CA_Duck said:

The main motivation behind the change was to make targeted spells more user-friendly to use. It wasn't exactly intuitive which spells had a minimum range and there was no visualisation of what the minimum range is. Now the targeting logic for spells should generally be more consistent and easier to use.

I see. That would be good if single entities receive more dmg to aoe abilities. Currently, its really one sided to mulit entity. It doesnt need to be a powerful counter to hurt them, but makes you have to double think before you drop it on yourself or running through it

I also still hope vortex and bombardment spells improve. This would certainly help against box
    Their consistency is a huge problem leading direct targetted spell used so much more
  • Xerxes52Xerxes52 Registered Users Posts: 518
    CA_Duck said:

Thank you. This is definitely an improvement in my opinion.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 8,513
    edited November 2020
    CA_Duck said:

Could perhaps change the amount of damage single entities take,
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,378
    Yep now they can finally tweak the spells. The design changes been nothing short of super amazing.

Monsters needs to be taking 2000-3000 dmg getting slammed by a comet, when taking a nice firestorm bath, laughing at getting hit by lightning bolts, have their souls getting devoured by pit of shades etc

Tbh dont even mind 4000 dmg getting headshot by comet.

Havent seem purple sun for years, its time for a come back
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • y4g3ry4g3r Registered Users Posts: 379
    Shouldn't be a problem, just send a hero to kill the caster instead of a unit. Properly challenge them. No extra vortex damage to a SE after all.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,066
    I am okay with Vortexes being anti infantry/cavalry, but it would be nice to have an anti SEM especific tool. Bombardments are the ideal candidate, as they are already useless and difficult to use
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 5,755
    Pocman said:

I am okay with Vortexes being anti infantry/cavalry, but it would be nice to have an anti SEM especific tool. Bombardments are the ideal candidate, as they are already useless and difficult to use

Yes me too, I am not keen on good vs everything spells. Bombardments and magic missiles are designed for this role, just tweak these. There are many spells with too long windups. Someone said the 1, 3, 5 sec cast time was hard coded, I really hope that is not so....