Now that we know all the units and characters we're getting with this DLC, it seems appropriate to put the whole thing into context and compare the Twisted and the Twilight to the 4 DLC's that preceded it.
Here's a list of said DLC's with all the units, characters, campaign changes, reworks and major updates that came along with them (this was alot of info to research and collect so if I forgot something or got something wrong let me know):
Prophet and the Warlock (development time: 4~ months)Legendary Characters
Lord KroakGeneric Lord/heroes
Warlock Master (new)
Red Crested Skink Chief (new)Lizardmen Units
Red Crested Skinks (new)
Salamander Hunting Pack (new)
Ancient Salamander (larger single entity Salamander)
Ripperdactyl Riders (New)
Engine of the Gods (technically a reskin, but new function)
Ark of Sotek (same as engine)
Feral Cold Ones (made a recruitable unit)RoR's
The Thunderous one (Ancient Stegadon)
Star Chaimber Guardians (Temple Guard)
Colossadon Hunters (Ripperdactyls)
Pop-Hopak Cohort (Cold One Spear Riders)
Legion of Chaqua (Saurus Spears)
The Ubral Tide (Salamander Hunting Pack)
Cohort of Sotek (Red Crested Skinks)
Pahaux Sentinels (Terradon Riders)Skaven units
Ratling Gunner weapons team (new)
Warplock Jezzails (new)
Ikit's Zzzzap-Zzzzap! (Warp Lightning cannon)
Clan Vulkn Tailslashers (Clanrats w/ Shields)
Blightscap Plaguepack (Censer Bearers)
Teeth-Breakers (Ratling Gunners)
Council Guard (Stormvermin Halbards)
Natty Buboe's Sharpshooters (warplock Jezzails)
Dwarf-thing Menace (Doom-Flayers)
Wheelz of doom (Doomwheel)Ikit Workshop RoR's
Warpfire's wheel (Doomwheel)
Blackhole Flayers (Doom-Flayers)
The Doombringers (Warpfire Throwers Weapons Team)
Eye Takers (warplock Jezzails)
Death Dealers (Ratling Gunners)Total
4 Legendary Characters
2 Generic Lord/heroes
10 Units (7 Lizardmen, 3 Skaven)
21 RoR's (8 Lizardmen, 13 Skaven)Updates and new campaigns
- Undercities are introduced
- Bretonnia given minor rework, adding with vows (Alberic got his trident too)
- new character item quests added for Brets.
- AI Vampire factions scripted to heavily invest in their respective bloodlines.
- 15 new island map variants.
Ikit gets one of the most extensive campaign mechanics in WH2 with his workshop, Doomrockets and unit augments. Tehenhauin gets a similar but severely downgraded mechanic.Warhammer 2 Campaign Map Additions and Changes
Eye of the Vortex:
- Added "Coasts of the Lustrian Gulf" (new province) with 2 regions: Kaiax (existing region) and The Night Forest (new region).
- Added "Tip of Lustria" (new region) to "The Capes" (existing province).
- Fortress of Dawn was removed from "The Capes" province and became its own 1 major settlement province.
- Added The Hissing God (new region) to Culchan Plains (existing province).
- The Star Tower (existing region) moved from "The Vampire Coast" province to Volcanic Islands (new province).
- Added Fuming Serpent (new region) to Volcanic Islands (new province).
- "The Red Rivers" province in the Southlands was split into 2 provinces: "Northern Red Rivers" and "Southern Red Rivers).
- Cuexotl has been upgraded to a major settlement and added to "Northern Red Rivers" province, along with Nahuontl (existing region) and Sun-Tree Glades (new region).
- Sotek's Trail (new region) was added to Zlatlan (existing region) and The Golden Tower (existing region) in the "Southern Red Rivers" province.
New Minor Factions (Vortex):
- Leaf-Cutterz Tribe (Greenskins) Start in full control of the "Northern Red Rivers" province.
- Clan Mange (Skaven) Start in the Northern Spine of Sotek, Lustria.
- Clan Fester (Skaven) Start in control of Quetza and Chaqua in the Northern Great Jungle province. When Playing as Tehenhauin, Clan Fester are your starting enemy and have been moved next to him, in control of The Night Forest, The Dust Glade and The Golden Colossus.
- Added Massif Orcal (new region) to Massif Orcal (new province)
- Added Kappelburg and Krugenheim (new regions) to Talabecland (existing province)
- Added Nagenhof and Mordheim (new regions) to Ostermark (existing province)
- Added "Western Jungles" (new province) to the Southlands with 2 new regions: Tlaqua (province capital) and Cuexotl.
- El-Kalabad has been moved further north (now adjacent to the Black Tower of Arkhan) to accomodate the new "Western Jungles" province in this area.
- Added Wellsprings of Eternity (new region) to Jungles of Green Mist (existing province) in Lustria.
- Added a mountain pass to the western mountain range of Spine of Sotek connecting Spine of Sotek and Huahuan Desert.
New Minor Factions (Mortal Empires):
- Clan Mange (Skaven, Lustria) Start in the Northern Spine of Sotek and Creeping Jungle provinces.
- Clan Fester (Skaven) Starts in Xahutec (Northern Great Jungle), Fuming Serpent (Volcanic Islands) and Marks of the Old Ones (Headhunter's Jungle). They're the starting enemy for Teclis, Tehenhauin and Lokhir Fellheart.
Hunter and the Beast (development time: 4.5 months)Legendary Characters
Nakai the Wanderer
Hertwig Van Hal
Klara of Wydrioth
+ Gotrek and Felix (developed and revealed at the same time as this DLC, only released a little later to coincide with WD)Generic Lords/heroes
Ancient Kroxigor (new)
Huntsman General (new)Empire units
War Wagon (new)
War Wagon Mortar (kitbash of Wagon and mortar)
Gyrocopters (Wulfhart exclusive)RoR's
White Wolves (huntsman)
War Wagon Hellblaster Volley Gun.Elector Count State Troops
Swords of Ulric (swordsmen)
Nordland Mariners (Halberdiers)
Stubborn Bulls (Empire knights w/ Greatswords)
Sootson's Guns (Mortars)
Stir River Patrol (Crossbowmen)
Noble Sons Abroad (Pistoleers)
The Emperors Wrath (Ulric Steamtank)
Gunderson's Surefires (Handgunners. Although they're Hochland Longrifles in the Lore)
Kights of the Everlasting light (Empire Knights)
Eldred's Guard (Spearmen)
The Bordermen (Outriders Grenade Launchers)
Knights of Morr (Empire Knights)Lizardmen units
Feral Dread Saurian (new)
Dread Saurian with Howdah
Sacred Kroxigors (new-ish)
Razordon Hunting Pack (reskin of Salamanders)RoR's
Shredder of Lustria (Dread Saurian howdah)
Cohort of Huatl (sacred Kroxigors)
Amaxon Barbs (Razordons)Total
8 Legendary Characters
2 generic Lord/heroes
22 units (18 Empire, 4 Lizardmen units)
6 RoR'sUpdates and New Campaigns
- Huge Empire rework
- New Fort Settlements
- Imperial Authority, prestige and political events + Machinations like HE's have.
- Fealty and elector counts offices with Runefangs
- Imperial factions can now return territory to each other
- Slann rework with proper Lores of magic and different generations.
- Multiplayer unit caps.
Wulfhart's campaign could have done with a few extra things (don't let him recruit units via buildings for example) but despite its flaws, it was one of the best campaigns added to WH2. Nakai's campaign is very unique but wasn't able to fix the issues with hordes and thus suffers from alot of the same issues as them (Nakai's campaign is essentially broken until further notice, Dead on arrival).Warhammer 2 Campaign Map Additions and Changes
- Added Konquata and Citadel of Lead (new regions) to Albion (existing province)
- The Misty Hills (new province) added to the Northern Empire and contains 2 new regions: Black Pit (province capital) and Wreckers point.
- Added Middenstag (new region) to Middenland (existing province)
- Pfieldorf was removed from Wissenland province and added to the new Solland province.
- Added Dotternbach (new region) to Wissenland (existing province)
- Added Steingart (new region) to Solland (new province)
- Added Niedling and Flensburg (new regions) to Stirland (existing province)
- Added Fort Bergbres (new Empire Border Fort region) to Gisoreux Gap (new province)
- Added Fort Soll (new Empire Border Fort region) to Winter's Teeth Pass (new province)
- The Moot was removed from Stirland Province and made its own minor settlement province (named Mootland).
- Laurelorn Forest was added as a new 1 settlement province and all the relevant Landmark buildings from Salzenmund were relocated there.
Shadow and the Blade (development time: 3 months)Legendary Characters
Deathmaster SnikchGeneric Lords/heroes
Master assassin (reskin)
Eshin Sorcerer (new)Dark Elf units
Scourgerunner Chariots (New)
Bloodwrack Madusae (new)
Bloodwrack Shrine (reuse of assets in this DLC and DLC's prior)RoR's
The Siren of Red Ruin (Bloodwrach medusa)
Ravagers of Rakarth (Scourgerunner chariot)
The Crows of khaine (Harpies)Skaven Units
Eshin Triads (new)
Poisoned-Wind Mortar (new)
Warp-Grinder Weapon Teams (new)RoR's
The Avalanche Mortar (Death Globe Mortars)
Viskrin's Death Squad (Death Runners)
Ishka's Triads (Eshin Triads)Total
2 Legendary Characters
4 Generic Lord/heroes
3 Dark Elf 3 Skaven)
6 RoR'sUpdate and new campaigns
- End Turn Times were absolutely obliterated
- Major factions renamed
- Clan Pestilens minor update
- many other QoL and minor changes
Snikch got a very extensive scheme mechanic which allowed him to manipulate factions across the map, steal and even blow up other settlements or factions, plus he can do contracts for other Skaven Clans. Malus basically has to participate in the vortex and balance Tzarkan. The dual start was great, but his campaign was very bare bones overall.Warhammer 2 Campaign Map Additions and Changes
- Renamed the province "Desolation of Nagash" to "Southern World's Edge Mountains".
- Added Dragon Isles (new province) to The Sea of Dread, south of The Dark Lands, with 3 regions: Dread Rock (province capital), Dragon Fang mount and Shattered Stone Isle.
- Added The Wolf Lands (new province) to the Dark Lands with 3 regions: Crookback Mountain (province capital), Mount Greyhag and Mount Silverspear.
- Added Gnoblar Country (new province) to The Dark Lands with 3 regions: Flayed Rock (province capital), Haunted Forest and Pigbarter.
- Added Broken Teeth (new province) east of the "Southern World's Edge Mountains", with 2 regions: Nagashizzar (province capital) and Desolation of Nagash.
Warden and the Paunch (development time: 5 months)Legendary Characters
Eltharion the Grim
Grom the Paunch
Imrik of Caledor
Giant River Hag Troll (Hero)
Goblin Great Shaman w/ Arachnarok Mount
Black Orc Big Boss (hero)High Elf units
War Lions of Chrace (slight reuse of prior assets but more new than old)
Lion Chariot of Chrace (same as above)
Arcane Phoenix (reskin)Campaign Exclusive units
(all of which are some kind of reskin or reuse of existing stuff):
Sentinels of Astaril
Spire Guard of Tor Yvresse
Athel Tamarha Faithbearers
Knights of Tor Gaval
Imrik's 5 dragonsRoR's
Talons of Tor Caleda (Caledor Archers)
Rahagra's Pride (War Lions)
Omen of Asuryan (Arcane Phoenix)Greenskin units
Snotling Pump Wagons
Snotling Pump Wagons (Flappas)
Snotling Pump Wagons (Spiky Rollers)
River Trolls (new)
Stone Trolls (Kitbash)
Rogue Idol (new)
Fire Arachnarok (reskin)
Fire Spider riders (reskin)
Hydra (reuse of existing unit)
Feral Wyvern (re-used model)
explosive squigs (new as a unit)
armoured squig riders (new)
Spider hatchlings (new as a unit)RoR's
Logey Bogey's Spore 'Sploda's (Snotling Pump Wagon)
Da Swamp Fings (River Trolls)
Da Big 'Un (Rogue Idol)Total
3 legendary characters
4 generic lord/heroes
6 RoR's (all of which were based on the new units)
28 units (15 high elf units, 13 Greenskin units)
Also, remember they had planned to add Blacktoof, a Black Orc Warboss and a few other things but ran out of time/money/covid messed up their schedule, so it was going to be even bigger.
Updates and new campaigns:
- Greenskin Waaagh rework (in campaign and battles)
- new GS trophy mechanic
- Reputation added to Greenskins
- GS reworked Tech Tree and Skill Trees/LL's/Unique items and abilities
- New GS Scrap mechanic
- Woodsmen and strider reworked to allow units and characters to walk through trees
- High Elf influence rebalance
HE's got Athel tamara (good, but doesn't last long), Grom gets an awesome cooking mechanic. Grom can mess around all campaign and have a good time, but Ehtarion's campaign (especially in vortex) is fundamentally flawed due to how it works; there's no real stakes, rush and because sieges haven't been reworked yet, Tor Yvresse's unique map is a quest battle only.Warhammer 2 Map additions and changes
- Added "The Marshes of Madness" (new province) to the Badlands with 2 new regions: Morgheim (province capital) and Floating village.
- Added "Shrine of Loec" and "Tralinia" (new regions) to Yvresse (existing province)
- Added Shattered Cove (new region) to Gnoblar Country (existing province)
- Added Karak Raziak (new region) to Northern World's Edge Mountains (existing province)
- Added Khazid Irkulaz (existing region) to Peak Pass (existing province)
- Okenhammer in Zhufbar province has been renamed to "Cragmere".
- Grimhold in the Southern Grey Mountains province has been renamed to "Fester Spike".
New Major Factions:
- DLC: Yvresse (High Elves) led by Eltharion the Grim has a dual start in Tor Yvresse (Ulthuan) and Gronti Mingol (Southern Badlands. If you aren't playing as the faction, they only start in Yvresse, but their AI is programmed to invade the Badlands.
- DLC: Grom the Paunch (Greenskins) starts in Massif Orcal when playing as him. If you're playing as Eltharion, he replaces the "Skull Crag" minor faction in Blightwater province. If you aren't playing as either, he starts in control of all the minor settlements of Yvresse.
- FLC: Knights of Caledor (High Elves) led by Imrik of Caledor added to Fortress of Vorag in the Plain of Bones province
- WAAAGH! Update: the Bonerattlerz (Greenskins) led by Azhag the Slaughterer moved to Red Eye Mountain and made a fully fledged faction of his own.
New minor factions:
- Clan Ferrik (Skaven) start in control of Cragmere and Karag Dromar in the Zhufbar province.
- Clan Spittel (Skaven) start in control of Fester Spike in the Southern Grey Mountains.
- Clan Kreepus (Skaven) starts in control of Mordheim in the Ostermark province.
- Clan Volkn (Skaven) Starts in control of Valaya's Sorrow, Crooked Fang Fort and Dringorackaz in the Eastern Badlands province.
- Skull Crag (Greenskins) Starts in control of the Misty Mountain, Kradtommen and Deff Gorge minor settlements in the Blightwater province.
- Clan Helhein (Dwarfs) start in control of Mount Greyhag, Ash Ridge Mountains and Darkhold in the Wolf Lands and Plain of Bones provinces.
Darkhold – Graves of the Dragons
Eringrad – Chaos Troll Lair
Ka Sabar – City of Bronze
Fortress of Vorag – Tower of the Bloodytooth
Marshes of Madness – Lost Necropolis of Mourkain
Massif Orcal – Stone Troll Quarry
Mount Arachnos – Lair of the Broodmother
- Karak Eight Peaks is now a ten-slot settlement.
- Dragon Isles: Dread Rock, Shattered Stone Isle, and Dragon Fang Mount are all now port settlements.
- Much of the territory previously belonging to the Red Fangs and Karak Azul has been distributed to new factions (Skull Crag and Clan Volkun).
- The Strygos Empire has relocated to the new Marshes of Madness province. Its former holdings in Zandri are now occupied by the Top Knotz. In addition, The Master Necromancer leading the faction has been renamed "Kadon".
- Karak Azgal has been burned to the ground by the great dragon, Graug the Terrible, and now starts the campaign abandoned.
Twisted and the Twilight (7 months development)Legendary Characters
Sisters of Twilight (or, their mounts I guess...)
Throt the Unclean
Coadill (re-colour)Generic Lords/Heores
Packmaster hero (new)
Glade Captain (Sister of the Thorn kitbash)
Spellweaver lord (kitbash)Wood Elf Units
Glade Riders w/ spears (glade guard on horses)
Zoats (Dragon Ogre reskin, with their rig and 2/3 new animations)
Great Stag Knights (reskin and upscaled size)
Bladesingers (reskin)Drycha units
Giant Wolves (Canines still have that horrible Norscan Ice Wolves model from WH1. This unit is something we've seen modders do for years, even before CA allowed them to add new files)
Giant Spiders (cool, please add to Greenskins)
Cave Bats (living fell bats)
Feral Manticore (same as with other factions)
Feral Hawks (Hawk riders without the elves)RoR's
Wraiths of the Frozen heart (dryads)
Lost Sylvan knights (great Stag knights)
Enigmas of Ghyran (Zoats)Skaven Units
Mutated Rat Ogres (reskin single entity Rat Ogre)
Wolf Rats (new-ish)RoR's
Pit fighters of hells deep (rat Ogres)
Morskittar's hellion (mutant rat ogres)
the Thing Thing (hell pit abomination)Total
5 legendary characters + Coadill
4 generic lords/heroes
6 RoR's (only 3 of them are even of the new units!)
13 new units (10 Wood Elf, 3 Skaven)
6 RoR'sUpdates and new campaign mechanics
- Footlords knockdown reduced
- we can now Abandon settlements
- all ranged and magic projectiles now get a 1.2 grace period in forests where they will pass through trees.
Throt gets a crazy Fleshlab similar to Ikit's workshop. The Sisters get a Grombrindal style dilemma text adventure mechanic (Sotek says its better than it looks) Wood Elves get an economy nerf, a forest heal system, a reworked tech tree, teleportation to other forests and that's about it.
No weaves, no seasons, no complex court system or divide between their peoples personality. No random events that make you go feral and attack an ally or struggling with balancing light and dark magic to expand the wood without damaging it. No undercity or new hidden base style mechanic. Still take diplomatic penalties for travelling through other peoples regions at all times.
And in terms of units and variants, basic things like units with Bark Armour, Arcane Bodkin's and other ammo types, more unit champions and End Times regiments wen't unused.Warhammer 2 Campaign map additions and Changes
New Minor Factions:
- Broken Chainz (Greenskins)
4 new forest settlements, Throt's new Naggaroth starting settlement, 5 new settlements east of the Worlds edge mountains and that's all we know so far (also, that eastern section isn't going to be used by anyone in this DLC as far as we know, so its not really relevant like the Dark Lands or past new areas. It doesn't synergise with the content it comes with.
It should be noted Sotek mentioned he couldn't talk about all the map stuff due to an embargo. Maybe they've finally expanded the ME map south, which would be amazing, but this is what we have now.
Its important to note the Shadow and the Blade wasn't meant to be as big as the others. CA had a few extra months after September before their holidays and as they were winding down, they decided to make a little extra pack which focused more on general QoL.
This is relevant because, looking at the bigger picture, CA's DLC's have almost unanimously seen improvements upon what came before and there are very distinct periods of quality one can point to: WH1 was the worst, early WH2 was better, but still rocky, then with the Vampire Coast and Prophet & Warlock, we saw the greatest period, where things were mostly getting better.
When put in context T&T seems to be something of a lull in their general trend towards bigger and better things. Having 6 characters isn't as groundbreaking as others have suggested, and in my opinion it doesn't make up for the units being half what we saw in the last two big DLC's or the lack in QoT and Map updates (still subject to change). Characters are great and all, but Modders have been successfully supplementing the need for them for years at this point, the real meat and potatoes of the series which modders can't provide is the new units, rigs and animations, of which we saw a scant few this time outside of said characters.
T&T is still worth the price of admission at this point. However, I suspect CA may have forcefully pulled back the reigns on this one in order to keep the £7 price tag (which is why we have less this time than we saw in the past), and if that's the case, then the price tag is becoming a major issue. I know many of us would say CA are underpaid for what we get in general, but just as many people would also say we never get enough for how long we waited and the finite amount of DLC's CA can feasibly create for this series makes each half baked faction released that bit more frustrating. Clearly this price model has strained to breaking point and is generally displeasing both the audience and the company in one aspect or another.
In conclusion, I think CA and the community need to have a real talk about upping the price of their DLC and in turn the content we get for them.