Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Mod - Custom Map - Assault on the Greek camp

RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,799
Ok, this one will take a lot more time than the first one. The basic layout of the map is ready but there are already some frustating problems:
  • There are no tents in Troy, which proves to be problematic when you want to create military camp on the map. At the moment I have "created" some tents from... sunshades. I have to look if somehow I can import tents from RomeII or Attila.
  • These walls/gates are not destructible and units pass through them. I can use no-go zones for walls but I might have resign from using gates.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
ROMEII
GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
ATTILA
GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
THRONES OF BRITANNIA
Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
WARHAMMER 1 & 2
W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
THREE KINGDOMS
MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
TROY
Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.

Comments

• TroyTomusTroyTomus Registered Users Posts: 79
    I notice there werent any tents, creative idea to get around it! Good stuff!

I've got those stone walls in one of my maps too, it's shame there are indestructible.

If you wanted something units can destroy, you could use the wooden/ wicker fences. There are about 3 or 4 different types. Similar hieght to the stone wall and units do destroy them when they pass through.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,799
    Did some small test. Happy with how attackers deploy, with defenders not so much. Need to make camp entrances bigger, right now they are nightmare for pathfinding AI.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    It looks great. I can't wait to give it a go!
    I need an advice. For some reason AI really want to deploy in one spot and I have no idea why it is happening.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Hmm, I've not seen that before. All I can offer is questions to try trouble shoot:

1 Is it only on 4v4?
    2 is there enough space to deploy?
    3 are there any Ai helps on that spot?
    4 I'm not sure if this makes any difference but did you set it 'max players 1' & 'max players 2' to '4' on the map properties and when exporting?

edited November 2020
    TroyTomus said:

Hmm, I've not seen that before. All I can offer is questions to try trouble shoot:

1 Is it only on 4v4?
    2 is there enough space to deploy?
    3 are there any Ai helps on that spot?
    4 I'm not sure if this makes any difference but did you set it 'max players 1' & 'max players 2' to '4' on the map properties and when exporting?

1. It can also happen in smaller battles.
    2. In theory there shoud be, but AI REALLY wants to put a lot of units in this one spot.
    3. There are none there.
    4. Yes, it is set to 4x4 max.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Have you tried adding and Ai hint next to or infront of it?

Maybe they will then form a line there rather than bunch up.
    I have somehow fixed the problem or at least made it less noticable. Finally I can continue with the map. Thanks @TroyTomus for your tips.

Things to do:
    • Fix floating props.
    • Import Attila tents (if possible)
    I will also create another variant of this battle where attackers are already in the camp (which is partially destroyed by them).

Here are some shots from fire/smoke effects test:

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Deployment zones (for "in the middle of the camp" variant) need a lot of work but visuals are promising.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    The images look amazing! I love the fire

"Fix floating props." which props? is it the destroyed tents *sunshades?
    I've had that issue and can't find away around it other than just making them a no-go zone.
    If not then could you just use "terrain clamp" and set it to "active" in the "Entity properties"

The layout is a lot of fun and loads of fun flanking opportunities.
    I have a few suggestions on the visual side of things.

1. Your save file doesn't match the mod title. May be confusing for players with many mods installed.

from point 1a the terrain height gives the player a sense of depth when looking at the sea and doesn't allow the cam to fall below the sea level. Going as deep as the yellow highlights means that the player's cam can fall below sea level and look funky. I'd figure out what height it is and match 1b using the "absolute height" function

Maybe smooth these lines (1b,2b,3b) to make it look a little more natural, or at maybe just put some irregularities in there

I'd play around with some different textures on top of here *using layers. try some different sand colours/ rocks/ etc and blend them together. White sands on the beach if you have it then dark the further away you get. Maybe add a path to the temple etc.

an example of some of the terrain painting I've been working on
    :
    ^you can see a little field has at least 4 different textures

... although it looks like you may have already done that looking at one of your screenshots.

Anyway, These details might just me being too obsessed haha.

Keep the mods coming! Great work!
    Thanks for tips. I will release patched version of "Greek landing" soon.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    The map is ready for release but at the moment I am unable to upload it.

It gives me such error:

Error code: UP-01-500

A system error has occurred. Error 500 - Server Error. Please try again.

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Ok, I can upload files and the problem seems to be fixed - here is the first release:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/pl/product/a-total-war-saga-troy/mods/cb2720c108e1415384d2b632fe63975d

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    edited January 6
    Made some changes to the map (changed some terrain textures, fixed some terrain problems etc.).

ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY