Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I beat Norsca on Legendary but OMG

km1974km1974 Registered Users Posts: 13
I have a lot of hours in Warhammer 2 on legendary but realized I had never beaten Norsca. So I read up on it and people were saying it was nearly impossible if you don’t kill Couronne and Franz quickly and not to unite Norsca just stay small so that’s what I did. I took my starting province and only stayed long enough to build public order buildings and get a berserker stack with Wulfik. Then immediately went for Couronne’s minor settlement. I took it when I got there and then marienburg was besieging Couronne itself so I just made sure Marienburg took the settlement and eliminated the faction as I made my way to altdorf. So couronne was gone before turn 15. When I got to Altdorf no army was in the settlement so I put my berserkers at the back of the map out of range of the towers and hidden, wasted the artillery ammo, then ground it out on the walls and had the settlement. I played whack a mole with franz for a while but by turn 35 both couronne and franz were dead. The vampires counts were taking over everything so I made friends with them as I went back to my home province (which nobody attacked) and recruited as many mammoths as I could afford. 14 or 15 I think. Then I left again and went back toward bretonnia. My plan was to sack my way around to miragliano (tilea home province) and hold it and sartosa while I focused on razing enough settlements for the serpent (for the reduced upkeep again) to trigger the challenger event. The red duke had taken everything along the coast of Bretonnia but was also at war with Lothern so I was able to run along the Bretonnian coast just sacking everything the Red Duke owned for cash only occupying to heal. I made my way around to Miragliano then killed Tilea. They also had Satosa so I took that too.

So I stayed there with the reduced upkeep from Miragliano for a while maybe 40 turns trying to train a second lord with rebellions with a crap stack and taking Wulfik around the close sea for extra money. I had Miragliano, Skavenblight, and Sartosa in a nice tight area with reduced upkeep from Miragliano. Even though I still had my original home province it wasn’t worth anything compared to the others. I had it made. You only need 5 settlements for short campaign victory and I had 2. The vampire counts had 4 or 5 more and I was defensive allies with them. I just needed to finish razing for the serpent then kill the challengers and Archeon and pay the vampire counts a bunch of money for a military alliance and I had victory.

Well then the mistakes started. I decided instead of killing the dreadfleet for the money and razing count noctilus’s home for the serpent I would ally with them and they promptly drug me into a war with the high elves. I know never ally on legendary unless they are strong and can actually help you. Then I got bored and decided I would go help the vampires finished off the dwarves. The dwarves were at war with vampires, grimgor, and snikch. I sack my way over to Karaz a Karak with wukfik leaving my other lord alone at Miragliano. I take Karaz but when I raze the settlement next to it that completes the serpent. I wrongly think the campaign is almost over so I want to meet the challengers 1/2 way and be near archeons spawn point to take him out quickly. So I move up towards rib peaks along the mountains heading that way. What I should have done was stick around Karaz a Karak and build it up and finish killing the dwarves. Make sure they were dead. The challengers then archeon will find their way to you. When ended up happening when I left the area was Eshin and the dwarves went from being at war to allied! Then started creaming the green skins and vampire counts. Next thing I know Wulfrik’s way up north and I’ve got 4 stacks of high level Eshin troops outside Miragliano with a weak lord and a weak garrison. I won a battle or two then realized I was doomed because they kept coming so I liquidated all the buildings and just like that I had lost Miragliano with its reduced upkeep, Sartosa, and Skavenblight. All I now have is my original starting province (which it’s turn 120 or so and it still hadn’t been attacked). So ten or so turns later I finally defeat Archeon and get the reduced upkeep from him too but now I’ve got high elves inside Norsca, and Eshin and the dwarves are smashing up the vampire counts from the south. The vampire counts have, couronne, altdorf, hellpit, kislev, if I still had either skavenblight or miragliano I would have short campaign victory then but I didn’t.

So to make a long story short I spent nearly 50 more turns recapturing Norsca from the high elves so I could afford more mammoth stacks, while defending the vampire counts from endless stacks of skaven and dwarves around kislev and altdorf, and endless stacks of high elves around Albion and Couronne until I managed to take wulfrik along the northern rim and kill my way to Naggarond for the win.

So I beat Norsca on legendary. It was fun for a while but when I messed up and took Wulfik and my only mammoth stack away from Miragliano, started smashing up the dwarves so they allied with Eshin, and then allied with the dread fleet and got drug into a war with the high elves it went from fun to suck city.

I beat chaos on legendary also and that was a cakewalk compared to the end of that Norsca campaign. Anyway that’s my story. Lol

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,365
    I usually make it to turn 120 and when there’s like no opposition or it gets really grindy, I quit. Lol I want to force myself to finish a legendary campaign, but like I said... it gets soooooo boring.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain
  • Polar_IceCreamPolar_IceCream Registered Users Posts: 117
    If there is one lesson I’ve truly learnt playing over 500 hours of WH is never, NEVER! Assume a faction is “defeated” because they only have one settlement left. Defeated is the mass genocide of that army and all its settlements because it’s almost guaranteed that they will somehow claw their way back and become an even bigger problem.

Something different but I destroyed Mazdumundi as Cylostra within 15 turns to stop him becoming powerful. The faction resurrected itself through a rebellion 60 turns later and ruined my whole campaign
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 2,070
    I just finished a VH/VH myself. I was Wulfik and got Throgg first thing then went down to Bretonnia and wiped them out. At that point Eltharian declared war on me so instead of pushing in on the Empire, who was fighting Counts, i sailed to Ulthion and started attacking them. I built up Coron to tier 4 and made my first stack of Feral Mammoths. Then made a war mammoth stack for Wulfric. It was basically a matter of time after that. Ended up with a military alliance with Dark Elves for fighting HE early on.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,338
    Good stuff OP.

Yeah the ordertide is powerful. And their skaven allies. Dawi tide is almost always an issue. Ive taken out all their major settlements only still see them rise. They are a quick spreading plague. More numerous than goblins.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 968
    Op, when did you united Norsca?, at what moment?, or you never did that?
    edited November 2020

Op, when did you united Norsca?, at what moment?, or you never did that?

Its not necessarily always better to confed Norsca quickly. I had 2 other Norsca tribes on the island on both sides of the coast.

The ones facing the Dark Elves got into a war with them but that means they didn't declare on me and allowed me to raise diplomacy with them and get a military alliance going, which is probably the single most important thing you can do. You need an ally to populate the ruins you create from razing, DE are the best for that role. Skaven are also an option. Even more so after Throt comes out in Hellpit, I expect he'll be a great early game military ally for Norsca here forward.

The other faced the dwarfs up there and Kislev keeping them both occupied and not declaring war on me.

In my opinion its most important to capture Bretonnia since you can get both settlements. Giving your mammoth doom stack +8 chevs from the start is really powerful because it lets you trigger "Hulks of Death" which gives the mammoths all a 7% ward save and +12 armor, add +6 armor for Gelts trait and you can get some truely tanky mammoths.

After that its just a matter of reducing upkeep for the faction and making more and more Mammoth stacks to go sack different areas.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
    Yeah I think the lesson here is that attacking High Elves after Bretonnia might be the meta now. You take out a powerful enemy before they get their confederation train going while ensuring favor with Dark Elves who will definitely be strength rank #1 if they take the entire island. And with their black arcs guarding they never have to worry about defense and can just send stacks after stacks to back you up. More importantly no one will declare war on you if you're military allies with Dark Elves, they want no part of that nonsense while fighting Greenskins and Vampires.

Plus keeping the empire around lets you farm Gelts trait which honestly there is no reason not to get it with every army you make.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 968
    I want to know about the time to conf, because OP said he has one stack in Tilea, and then he suddenly spoke about losing settlements in norsca, so I want to know when he managed to conf another norscan faction..

After dealing with empire and bretonnia?, after dealing with Tilea?, how many stacks did he have when he started to conf other norscans factions?
  • km1974km1974 Registered Users Posts: 13

I want to know about the time to conf, because OP said he has one stack in Tilea, and then he suddenly spoke about losing settlements in norsca, so I want to know when he managed to conf another norscan faction..

After dealing with empire and bretonnia?, after dealing with Tilea?, how many stacks did he have when he started to conf other norscans factions?

I didn’t confed Norsca until after I had beaten Archaeon. Turn 120 or later. I only had my original Norscan province (which I was willing to give up just no one took it) and Miragliano until around turn 100. I was only using a Norscan mammoth stack with 1 werekin (I use them to cheese missle factions), 2 fire wizards, and a fimir fire for the replenishment. Then 1 other army of just marauders. So only 2 armies till the very end. I only confederated Norsca at the end when I was being hit from all sides and had to take enough settlements (and help my vampire count allies hold on to the theirs). I had to confed Norsca because the high ejected were taking it and I didn’t have enough money for more armies even after beating Archaeon. You need 5 of the target settlements for short campaign. Had I not taken my mammoth stack away from Miragliano and Skavenblight and lost them those were two of the settlements and my vampire count allies had several more. What I should have done was stay put and make the challengers and Archaeon come to me at Miragliano.

Had I been a little smarter I think I could have won the campaign without confederating at all.
    ROMOBOY said:

I usually make it to turn 120 and when there’s like no opposition or it gets really grindy, I quit. Lol I want to force myself to finish a legendary campaign, but like I said... it gets soooooo boring.

Yeah it gets crazy grindy on legendary. I did it to unlock the achievement because some crazy small number have unlocked the achievement.

I just finished a VH/VH myself. I was Wulfik and got Throgg first thing then went down to Bretonnia and wiped them out. At that point Eltharian declared war on me so instead of pushing in on the Empire, who was fighting Counts, i sailed to Ulthion and started attacking them. I built up Coron to tier 4 and made my first stack of Feral Mammoths. Then made a war mammoth stack for Wulfric. It was basically a matter of time after that. Ended up with a military alliance with Dark Elves for fighting HE early on.

Just tried this plan for about 30 turns on VH/VH instead of legendary and it was so much easier. Being able to save before making a move or pause during battle makes it a different experience. An experienced player can’t really lose battles on VH but you can absolutely lose them on legendary.