Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bigger aint always Better

Cortes31Cortes31 Registered Users Posts: 1,908
Was just looking a bit through the changes they did with Ungrim when I opened the tech tree.

I cannot help but feeling that this tech tree is bloated by now. There are easily a few techs that could get cut because they are redundant on the economy side of things.

Military side of things could do with a regrouping. Several smaller groups instead one big chunk you know.

I really hope the Dwarfs get a rework of their tech tree.
Tagged:

Comments

• MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 752
    I like big tech tree. i think it very interesting to get some lore quotes and small buffs each few turns. I wish the WE tree could be bigger, cause it still small in compare to other factions.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)
  • EthorinEthorin Registered Users Posts: 521
    yeah, the Dawi have a frek huge tech tree and finding anything in it is a pain.

Really, they don't a tech tree, they have tech forest, one of those big old growth ones with lots of undergrowth and the only paths are the ones made by deer and the like.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,362
    Tech choices, unlimited tech choices! a dwarf beard is a pathway to many abilities. :)
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,930
    Let's call this a tech beard then. An entangled beard of a thousand years old dawi who never shaved once. Tree is too simple a term for this.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,080

I like big tech tree. i think it very interesting to get some lore quotes and small buffs each few turns. I wish the WE tree could be bigger, cause it still small in compare to other factions.

This. Love the huge dwarf tech tree. Keep as is!!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,919
    Looking at that big beautiful tech tree's given me a hankering to play the dawi. I think I'll right a few grudges! :)
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

• SubjectEighteenSubjectEighteen Registered Users Posts: 570
    I'm a fan of a big tech tree, but visually it could use some cleaning up.
  • KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 3,100

I'm a fan of a big tech tree, but visually it could use some cleaning up.

This, it just needs reorganising so it isn't a pain to look through.
  • EthorinEthorin Registered Users Posts: 521

Let's call this a tech beard then. An entangled beard of a thousand years old dawi who never shaved once. Tree is too simple a term for this.

I agree, Tech Beard makes sense.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Registered Users Posts: 2,565
    L.U.V.E. the big tech tree ! It keeps you hooked for a while and looking forward to future techs in the late game.

Nothing wrong with in my eyes. The moment I play a race with a small tech tree I am always like 'awwwww'
    Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • peabodyestatepeabodyestate Registered Users Posts: 1,398
    Ive just done a Sisters Campsagn, and i was done with both the tech trees and the skill trees half way through, it was a short campaign by my standards.

I had the active thought that i wish my lords and heroes got half the stats and took twice the levels, i was just clicking meaningless buttons. When i finally got some amber, the techs only showed one which i really wanted as elf.

I wish the tech tree and skill trees were even more beardy. I wish that my level 40 lord/hero was in anyway difference to yours.

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 2,470
    The big tech tree is very thematic for the dwarfs, as it is all about small incremental changes instead of huge changes.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2020
    Cortes31 said:

Was just looking a bit through the changes they did with Ungrim when I opened the tech tree.

I cannot help but feeling that this tech tree is bloated by now. There are easily a few techs that could get cut because they are redundant on the economy side of things.

Military side of things could do with a regrouping. Several smaller groups instead one big chunk you know.

I really hope the Dwarfs get a rework of their tech tree.

It's to represent that Dwarfs are traditionalists and slow to change.

Dwarfs start out as one of the most powerful forces in the entire game. Their tech tree pacing allows them to steadily maintain that advantage.

Some of the more recent tech trees make their races explode into over powered at different phases of the game, and should be altered again, IMO.

Dwarfs really are an amazing faction. The only problem with Dwarfs is that they haven't had much in the way of added lords, which is a shame. I think the problem there is that adding new units is going to be a helluva balancing act, and the fact that there just really aren't that many more units*, and a lot of what there is either a variant or redundant to what they already have. Now, I'm 100% for adding folks' variants (where's my spear boys?), but they also have to figure out how to make some of the redundant stuff worth adding because they do not 100% translate from TT due to mechanics differences. In the TT nothing's really redundant because it's usually at least a bit specialized.

*Dwarfs are intended to be a fairly easy, very reliable, powerful force that has less options. They are not as complex as other factions and were never designed to be. They are staunch generalists that are just all around hard to deal with. Much like OG space marines before they went wild on them.