Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rear and Flanking Impacts

BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 1,446
edited December 2020 in Balancing Discussions
If one unit is engaged in front and in rear it is considered attacked from the rear, but the models turn around in the back to the fight the enemy in the back right?

Supposedly attacked in the rear reduces the units MD by 70%, which makes sense for single entities but is this for each individual model or for the entire unit?

Does the reduced MD just effect the enemies attacks in the rear? or does the reduced MD improve both attacks from the front and the rear enemies?
Duck said it is on a model by model basis like SEs and SEMs.

Post edited by Bastilean on

Comments

• CA_DuckCA_Duck Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 1,617
    Combat rolls are resolved on a per entity level. So once entities turn around, they will no longer be attacked in the rear.
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 1,446
    edited December 2020
    Thanks Duck.

Looking at the flanking info out there in general. I wouldn't mind doing some updates to the wiki, so that the knowledge is out there for people to find. Seems like one of those fundamental invisible pieces of info.

So there is leadership for the blocks of units.

There is debuffs for each entity. -30% flank and -60% rear.

There are debuffs for armor too I believe.
    Post edited by Bastilean on
  • AsamuAsamu Registered Users Posts: 837
    Bastilean said:

Thanks Duck.

Looking at the flanking info out there in general. I wouldn't mind doing some updates to the wiki, so that the knowledge is out there for people to find. Seems like one of those fundamental invisible pieces of info.

So there is leadership for the blocks of units.

There is debuffs for each entity. -30% flank and -60% rear.

There are debuffs for armor too I believe. Are these also 30% and 60%? The video about pistoliers recommends getting rear shots with them. This armor debuff is the same for missiles and melee I assume? This benefits missiles a lot, because entities don't turn around to shield themselves when shot at. Would be cool if they did after the first volley maybe... could be complicated to implement though.

There's no armor debuff for shooting in the flank/rear. It just negates shields.
    Ah, I just tested it, and it is as you say. There is no flanking shooting benefit unless there are shield deflection on the target. Thank you!
  • y4g3ry4g3r Registered Users Posts: 412
    Does the flank of the unit matter for shields? I seem to remember in Attila/Rome the shield worked from the front and left? Right flanks and rear negated it.
    CA_EvaJobse answered the question here:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/200311/understanding-shields

I assume it's the front 90 degree arch. When I played TROY I noticed a big difference when deploying my missile in the nooks behind the 90 degree arch. I think Warhammer is like that although we have less choke points.

• CA_DuckCA_Duck Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 1,617
    Missiles are blocked by shields in a 120 degree angle from the front of the entity (so 60 degrees to either side).
    Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    Warhammer 2 Flanking Wiki

Let me know if you have any further comments

Thanks Duck