Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Forgeworld Writer moves to CA - possible 40k game

davedave1124davedave1124 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 13,187
edited December 2020 in Total War General Chat
Yes, I know this as been talked about a lot but after watching a previous Volrak stream who personally believes that CA and GW have possibly done a deal for a 40k or 30k games I wonder if it is getting more likely, even if it isn't a normal TW game.

Also a popular 30 and 40k writer and game designer from GW and Forgeworld Anuj Malhotra, recently joined Creative Assembly (this month), does it look like CA and GW's relationship is solidifying some what?

Edit: Mods.. sorry - wrong place. This should be general.
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,317
    Bad news, I don't want 40k

This new project will devour all the resources of Warhammer fantasy

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,170

Yes, I know this as been talked about a lot but after watching a previous Volrak stream who personally believes that CA and GW have possibly done a deal for a 40k or 30k games I wonder if it is getting more likely, even if it isn't a normal TW game.

Also a popular 30 and 40k writer and game designer from GW and Forgeworld Anuj Malhotra, recently joined Creative Assembly (this month), does it look like CA and GW's relationship is solidifying some what?

Did this figure also work on AoS or Fantasy back in the day or just exclusively on the 40k franchise by chance?
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 4,953
    I thought his focus was 30K actually.
    Beastmen

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,187
    Wyvax said:

Did this figure also work on AoS or Fantasy back in the day or just exclusively on the 40k franchise by chance?
    He worked on 30k and 40k only I believe:

Warhammer 40,000 and The Horus Heresy
    - Principal game designer
    - Narrative designer & background writer
    - IP generation, concept and product development
    - Brand ambassador: The Horus Heresy

- Published projects include:
    The Horus Heresy: Age of Darkness Rulebook
    The Horus Heresy Book Eight: Malevolence
    The Horus Heresy Book Nine: Crusade
    The Horus Heresy FAQ & Errata series

- Unpublished projects:
    Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Armour 16: Warmachines of the Space Marines (2017)
    Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Armour 17: [Untitled Space Marine project] (2018)
    Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Armour 18: The Talons of the Emperor (2018)
    Unannounced Horus Heresy project (2020)
    Unannounced project (2021)

- I was a featured interview guest on the 'Voxcast'.
  • TheMadTypistTheMadTypist Registered Users Posts: 182
    Don’t do that, don’t give me hope!

Guardsmen charging no-man’s-land against regiments of cultist militia, dreadnaughts punchy-smashing their way through a Tau gunline, skitarri trying not to die while firing on advancing Necrons... this is the stuff dreams are made of.
    Surge_2 said:

I thought his focus was 30K actually.

Yes, I believe that as his focus but he also did 40k.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,633
    How would the map even work, since they have their own entire planets. Would they have to come up with a map of all of them on the same planet?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
    edited December 2020
    ROMOBOY said:

How would the map even work, since they have their own entire planets. Would they have to come up with a map of all of them on the same planet?

Have you heard of Gladius Prime?
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,724
    ROMOBOY said:

I'm not worried about the map, it would be like Dawn of War I's campaings, either just a single planet or a single system with theaters.

I'm more sceptical at how they'd translate 40k's open formations and cover-based gameplay since that's stuff TW was never particularly good at.

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,244
    edited December 2020
    ROMOBOY said:

Probably. Happend several times in various videogames, see dawn of war dark crusade or gladius.

Though I do not like 40k to be honest. So I hold no interest in a 40k TW game. But if this game manages to make tanks and modern weaponery work in a TW I would look forward to a WW1 TW

ROMOBOY said:

I'm not worried about the map, it would be like Dawn of War I's campaings, either just a single planet or a single system with theaters.

I'm more sceptical at how they'd translate 40k's open formations and cover-based gameplay since that's stuff TW was never particularly good at.
    When watching the Valrak stream he was saying it may well have a totally different feel than normal TW games, that could be why they are bringing in 30/40k game designers in.

On another point CA are currently working on a tactical shooter.. but Valrak seems pretty sure from what he's heard from a few sources.
  • TicladesignTicladesign Registered Users Posts: 76
    Maybe Sega's going to merge CA and Relic into one strategy studio? Relic people know how to make 40K games.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,633

ROMOBOY said:

No actually. I barely know anything about 40K lore. I’m a fantasy guy.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 1,846

Or just because 40k elves don't have iconic characters like Scarloc and Eldyra.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire
    10. Troy (haven't actually played it, I'm just still salty)

ROMOBOY said:

ROMOBOY said:

No actually. I barely know anything about 40K lore. I’m a fantasy guy.
    It's a single planet with all the main races on.
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,905
    You know what else is Forgeworld?

Problem is he works on the Sci Fi stuff, he's not touched fantasy.

He worked on 30K/Horus, the 30K/Horus team is working on TOW.
  • veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,317

There is basically nothing interesting for me. I don't understand what people like there. Some pseudo scientific Gothic nonsense

• damon40000damon40000 Registered Users Posts: 480
    sadly there are so few devs who can make strategy games(battles+ empire menagement) so chosing one of the best for their best selling universe (40k) is kinda appropriate
    BsFG dwarf
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,170

Wyvax said:

- Unpublished projects:

Interesting, I doubt CA would recruit someone with exclusively 40k experience to work on fantasy in different medium, so I guess that must mean that the two companies have some plans for 40k down the line. That's a pretty strong indication that GW wants to continue the license for fantasy however, which is awesome news for all of us.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

He worked on 30K/Horus, the 30K/Horus team is working on TOW.
    Yes but it states exactly what he worked and and it didn't include The Old World IP.
    Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

- Unpublished projects:

Interesting, I doubt CA would recruit someone with exclusively 40k experience to work on fantasy in different medium, so I guess that must mean that the two companies have some plans for 40k down the line. That's a pretty strong indication that GW wants to continue the license for fantasy however, which is awesome news for all of us.
    It could also be just generally networking, CA and GW have ties obviously, maybe he just wanted to move on and work at CA?
    But yeah its probably tied to the license.
    Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

- Unpublished projects:

It's a fantastic partnership for GW (and CA) they get some read licensing money from all the units a AAA game can sell and it's opened up their IP to so many new customers. The following for 40k is very much higher for WHFB/AoS so I imagine GW are rubbing their hands together with all the units this will sell for them. Models that appear in a CA game will probably take a direct increase in sales on their website.

It CA added an Eldar campaign that would practically be a free marketing campaign for their 40k line.

There is basically nothing interesting for me. I don't understand what people like there. Some pseudo scientific Gothic nonsense
    Football.. just people kicking a ball around; Transformers.. just robots that transform; The Walking Dead.. bunch of zombies

Remember, in the grand scheme of things what you find interesting is worthless to everyone else.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 303
    really an hard choice between 30k and 40k, wish they could do both ...

It is a setting in which the 'good guys' are unquestionably flawed, and through their own ignorance they have already lost, simply dragging out their own suffering, and damning themselves for it.

For a philosophical pessimist, it is still one of the most refreshing settings constructed, Sci Fi or not.
    Beastmen

Surge_2 said:

It is a setting in which the 'good guys' are unquestionably flawed, and through their own ignorance they have already lost, simply dragging out their own suffering, and damning themselves for it.

For a philosophical pessimist, it is still one of the most refreshing settings constructed, Sci Fi or not.
    I loved the impending doom of Mechanicus. The Mechanicus core belief that by turning into a machine they will be perfected and even when they meet the Necrons they cling onto this idea.
    The old lore for the Necron/Mechanicus is a thing of beauty. I dont know that its still there honestly with the reboots of the necron's the last few editions.

Go back to 3rd? Mmmm good stuff.
    Beastmen

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 10,410
    edited December 2020

really an hard choice between 30k and 40k, wish they could do both ...

30k has no Tyranids, no Tau and no Necrons(I think the Necrons didn't yet start waking up?).

It's really not a choice at all.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT