Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

IMO, Cathay might be added mostly to grab the Chinese audience.

12346»

Comments

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,263
    aMint1 said:

ROMOBOY said:

I’m pretty sure Chinese people don’t need to see their culture given the Warhammer treatment to buy the game. I’ve never understood this concept.

You don't see why adding parts of somewhere's culture to something might increase the appeal to the people in that region?
    Probably might sway someone on the fence, but I don't really see it having an impact so substantial a developer would go out of her way to do it. Maybe in a casual-friendly action game, but not in a strategy game.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,263

ROMOBOY said:

I’m pretty sure Chinese people don’t need to see their culture given the Warhammer treatment to buy the game. I’ve never understood this concept.

I haven't read the whole thread, I apologies for that. but im in a bit of a rush.

I remember over a decade ago, this Warhammer event, cosplayers I think is the word, and oh my Hashut, was it GOOD. I was rather new with the hobby, so I was kinda left unsure what all I was seeing, but man was it cool, near the end, and I mean the very end of all the pictures and videos(YouTube had them back then, but YouTube was, a much different company then, Im unsure if they are still hosted), I found out the cosplayers were all Chinese! HAH! I swear they looked the part(European, please don't start any debate on this, I mean nothing political, but both settings were very Eurocentric back then). I found out the Chinese and Japanese were into Warhammer, especially China, and Korea and even Mongolia was getting into it too! How awesome is that?

Then Gamesworkshop did something awful, while trying to do something right, they created "Asians in Space", aka, shortsighted, short heighted, physically weak, slanted eyed, who go around spreading the "Greater Good" incorporating other xeno species, rather through force, or treaties, they also moved their own people into said allies land and in some cases, out breed them, sometimes from chemically castrating species they saw as breeding to quickly, they had to rely on their superior technology just to compete and could lose a melee fight to a goblin, oh and they had Gundams, a caste system, and- I think you are getting the idea, and if not, a picture is worth a thousand words.

FYI I played the Tau Empire, Farsight Enclaves mind you, as I wanted melee gundams, but the point to this is, it backfired and bad, nearly all Games Workshop shops in Japan had to close, as their customers seemed to be, rather offended, and the military base alone wasn't enough income to keep a profit.
    I don't dispute this, but it's a bit weird people are offended by being represented by the only somewhat morally decent faction in the setting. Tau have done their fair share of questionable things, but they deal in realpolitik, while the Imperium of Man is caricaturally evil, like the Nazi party, the Inquisition and the worst of the Roman Empire rolled into one and turned to 11. Europeans should be way more offended.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 2,932

JungleElf said:

Here's a section of the map. Now, imagine the current ME map and the addition of Snikch's DLC where Pigbarter and the Dragon Isles (Malus) were added. We know that is a very slim area on the ME but the Dragon Isles abobe is level with the Mountains of Mourn. So if just a section of the Mountains of Mourn is added for the Ogres then that will be the tiniest addition so far for the ME map in reference to a new game. That's what makes me think they will move more to the East. Not forgetting the first Cathayan settlement is just East of the Dragon Isles.

They can twist and turn it all they want, just like with the New World in the Vortex campaign, especially the Southlands.
    Yes they can, but they already have and so far the ME from one side of the Darklands to the other is tiny on ME. I'm going off what they have done - the actual reality of the current ME map.
    Except the darklands will need to be expanded massively for game 3 anyway so the point is moot.
    It's not though, according to the ME map the fact the Dragon Isles are there tells me it's relatively small compared to the rest of the new game additions. I'm just going off what we can see now.
    Not really as the dark lands will need many provinces.

ROMOBOY said:

The ME we have in WH2 won’t be the one we have in WH3. So map additions leading towards the Darklands are just placeholders. Darklands will be much bigger.

It's not the WH2 ME map, it's the combined ME map. We don't know what and how they will add to the ME map. Why add Snikch's little area just to change it again?
    They are going to have to change it again
    Anyway or do you the no the entire darklands will be one province wide
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,094

JungleElf said:

Here's a section of the map. Now, imagine the current ME map and the addition of Snikch's DLC where Pigbarter and the Dragon Isles (Malus) were added. We know that is a very slim area on the ME but the Dragon Isles abobe is level with the Mountains of Mourn. So if just a section of the Mountains of Mourn is added for the Ogres then that will be the tiniest addition so far for the ME map in reference to a new game. That's what makes me think they will move more to the East. Not forgetting the first Cathayan settlement is just East of the Dragon Isles.

They can twist and turn it all they want, just like with the New World in the Vortex campaign, especially the Southlands.
    Yes they can, but they already have and so far the ME from one side of the Darklands to the other is tiny on ME. I'm going off what they have done - the actual reality of the current ME map.
    Except the darklands will need to be expanded massively for game 3 anyway so the point is moot.
    It's not though, according to the ME map the fact the Dragon Isles are there tells me it's relatively small compared to the rest of the new game additions. I'm just going off what we can see now.

ROMOBOY said:

The ME we have in WH2 won’t be the one we have in WH3. So map additions leading towards the Darklands are just placeholders. Darklands will be much bigger.

It's not the WH2 ME map, it's the combined ME map. We don't know what and how they will add to the ME map. Why add Snikch's little area just to change it again?
    Depends what they have planed.

Maybe they won't.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.
    They will have to otherwise it looks stupid, the dark lands and mountains of mourn are in similar size to the old world.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,681
    Why are people saying the Dark Lands & mountains of mourn won’t be enough?

It roughly the size of the old world, they just need to create named locations and realms. Maybe add a few new island chains for the elves to fight over

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.
    They will have to otherwise it looks stupid, the dark lands and mountains of mourn are in similar size to the old world.
    'looks' stupid is something similar to what people said about how CA squashed up the ME map originally. It's reasonable to go off how the ME map looks and it is small, the Dragon Isles are almost level with the Mountains of Mourne, so the current length is the darklands, yet the map scrolls further to the right. If that's all they're adding then that's painfully unimpressive, so I assume they will add more.

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 4,155
    The current Darklands we have are obviously a teaser of what's to come and merely a placeholder for now. It's safe to say that Pigbarter, the Haunted Forest and Flayed Rock will each be in different provinces later on.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Bring back proper naval battles CA!!!
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Wyvax said:

The current Darklands we have are obviously a teaser of what's to come and merely a placeholder for now. It's safe to say that Pigbarter, the Haunted Forest and Flayed Rock will each be in different provinces later on.

Dunno..

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,632
    Wyvax said:

This is what I’ve been saying. The way the partial Darklands is now, is definitely just a placeholder. It was laughably quartered to fit in our current ME (which will have its entire framework changed in WH3).
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 9,910
    JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo
    Lol sorry guys, I accidentally sent the wrong one.

I believe the mountains to the West are already on the current map and the Dragon Isles on the East side are also already on the map. Add to that there is no southern portion. If that's it we are really being short changed.
    What are you thinking? That the Daemons of Chaos and the new possible Warrior factions won't be able to lay siege to Kislev and parts of the Empire? Of course parts of the current map will be included in the WH3 campaign map.
    "Parts of" is, IMO, a big problem. It's another case of what I call the Belgium problem - if your campaign involves destroying civilisation (as a Chaos campaign really should) you'll hit the edge of the map just as you're getting the ball rolling.

To work from a narrative perspective, the map needs to either have the entirety of the Empire at least... or Cathay as an alternative target.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 3,818
    Draxynnic said:

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

I believe the mountains to the West are already on the current map and the Dragon Isles on the East side are also already on the map. Add to that there is no southern portion. If that's it we are really being short changed.
    What are you thinking? That the Daemons of Chaos and the new possible Warrior factions won't be able to lay siege to Kislev and parts of the Empire? Of course parts of the current map will be included in the WH3 campaign map.
    "Parts of" is, IMO, a big problem. It's another case of what I call the Belgium problem - if your campaign involves destroying civilisation (as a Chaos campaign really should) you'll hit the edge of the map just as you're getting the ball rolling.

To work from a narrative perspective, the map needs to either have the entirety of the Empire at least... or Cathay as an alternative target.
    It will obviously be a large enough part to feel satisfying. Besieging Talabheim or even Kislev should be a huge thing in and on itself. With all kinds of reinforcements coming, etc.
    JungleElf said:

Draxynnic said:

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

It will obviously be a large enough part to feel satisfying. Besieging Talabheim or even Kislev should be a huge thing in and on itself. With all kinds of reinforcements coming, etc.
    I disagree. Strongly.

If they follow the End TImes timeline, they could make the Chaos wincon be about holding Middenheim for a certain length of time, but as soon as any part of the Empire is left off the map, whatever mechanics they might put in to represent the rest of the Empire sending relief forces become somewhat artificial. In the End Times, the Chaos forces didn't just take Middenheim and sit there until the ritual was ready. They remained on the offensive to destroy every single Empire stronghold to minimise the chance of any surviving province being able to launch an effective counterattack.

If the Chaos objective is to invade the Old World, the Empire at least should be included in its entirety so the Empire responds to invasions in an organic fashion and so that the southern and western provinces can be attacked, rather than simply having Empire stacks spawning on the edge of the map.

Kislev or even Talabheim is still a clear case of the Belgium problem - it's a start, but it's still a long road to Paris Altdorf.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.
    'looks' stupid is something similar to what people said about how CA squashed up the ME map originally. It's reasonable to go off how the ME map looks and it is small, the Dragon Isles are almost level with the Mountains of Mourne, so the current length is the darklands, yet the map scrolls further to the right. If that's all they're adding then that's painfully unimpressive, so I assume they will add more.
    They have already said they are going to expand the areas that have been squashed and cut off, so game 3 mortal empires will likely have the whole is lustria and the Southland's

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

Maybe they won't.
    They have already said they are going to expand the areas that have been squashed and cut off, so game 3 mortal empires will likely have the whole is lustria and the Southland's
    Stupid.. subjective, I repeat a lot of fans said the original changes looked stupid and they still did it.

Yeah, expand, not make them look exactly the same as the original map.

Again, nobody knows, especially anyone in this forum and that includes the 'experts'.

Compared the Mortal Empires map to the world maps in the sourcebooks lately?

Ulthuan is nearly the size of the Old World in the books. Naggaroth, Lustria, and the Southlands are all significantly bigger. But in the Mortal Empires map, those four continents combined are smaller than the Old World in terms of land area. And yes, it looks stupid. But they did it anyway.

We can hope that for Game 3 they won't compress the areas that aren't the Old World quite so much, but assuming that the land area in-game will match that in the sourcebooks is ignoring an already established precedent. CA has shown a distinct willingness to compress the area of less populated regions to the point where for a long time it felt like it was the Empire that was sparsely populated.
  • BlacedBlaced Registered Users Posts: 562
    Draxynnic said:

Ulthuan is nearly the size of the Old World in the books. Naggaroth, Lustria, and the Southlands are all significantly bigger. But in the Mortal Empires map, those four continents combined are smaller than the Old World in terms of land area. And yes, it looks stupid. But they did it anyway.

We can hope that for Game 3 they won't compress the areas that aren't the Old World quite so much, but assuming that the land area in-game will match that in the sourcebooks is ignoring an already established precedent. CA has shown a distinct willingness to compress the area of less populated regions to the point where for a long time it felt like it was the Empire that was sparsely populated.
    The map makes the old world looks really small, I don't really like it because it will make the empire, a very important and big faction, really small, I'm more interested in extending Araby and Nehekara
    Blaced said:

Draxynnic said:

The map makes the old world looks really small, I don't really like it because it will make the empire, a very important and big faction, really small, I'm more interested in extending Araby and Nehekara
    Which is, I think, a large part of why they did it. The Old World is a comparatively dense region with a lot of places of interest that can serve as settlements. Naggaroth, the Southlands south of Nehekhara, and to a lesser extent Lustria, have large reaches where there's basically nothing. Compare and contrast where in the Old World and the northern Southlands you have places where major cities in the lore are minor settlements or in some cases missing from the map entirely, while in Naggaroth, there are random points in the map that have no lore that I know of beyond a name that are province capitals, and some minor settlements are islands with no known settlements in the fluff.

The compression of these regions keeps the empty distances down. I think they went a bit too far in the Mortal Empires map, and they've needed to fill in more settlements in the Empire to make it feel less empty, but I can see exactly why they did it.

As I was commenting, though, exactly the same observations can be made regarding the Dark Lands. If you look at a map of the Dark Lands... sure, it's about the size of the Old World, but it's mostly empty space with points of interest being few and far between. And the precedent is that CA will compress that sort of geography so that the settlements are a reasonable distance apart rather than several turns' march. In fact, they've already done so. What's already in the Mortal Empires map now is pretty much as far as you can go before entering ogre or Chaos Dwarf territory.

It'd be nice if Game 3 has a larger Dark Lands. It'd also be nice if the Game 3 equivalent of Mortal Empires gives us a Naggaroth, Lustria, and Southlands more like the Vortex map than the Mortal Empires map. But assuming that the Dark Lands will be the same size as the Old World just because it was in the sourcebooks is ignoring precedents that have already been set.