Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

4th edition mummies?

PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 2,949
Do you think the mummies from the 4th edition undead army book (1994) should make a comeback in TW as a mid or high tier Tomb Kings unit?
No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,522

I don’t see why not.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Forlì, ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 2,949
    ROMOBOY said:

I don’t see why not.

What were their abilities on the tabletop?
    No, i also dislike Garth Ennis. He is very juvenile and raunchy, and some of his statements are utterly ridiculous, like Captain America being offensive to WWII veterans when his co-creator, Jack Kirby, served in the war and soldiers liked his stories.

If you think using your abilities to help and inspire people is childish, then i feel sorry for you.
  • YitterbumYitterbum Registered Users Posts: 402
    Embalmed Ones was an old Barrow Legion unit for Kemmler. They would fit the Tomb Kings army better to be honest.
  • MaksboMaksbo Registered Users Posts: 436
    Mummies were very very strong in 4td ed. Seeing a couple of Hero Quest mummies in there makes me happy
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 6,847
    Mummies evovled into the Tomb Kings and Tomb Princes, so technically they are already in the game.

ROMOBOY said:

I don’t see why not.

What were their abilities on the tabletop?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

• PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 5,300
    No.

As a vampire counts unit, it's too much of a tomb king units.

As a tomb king unit, is is very against their lore. their mummies are the tomb kings, princes and priests.
    edited December 2020
    Pocman said:

No.

As a vampire counts unit, it's too much of a tomb king units.

As a tomb king unit, is is very against their lore. their mummies are the tomb kings, princes and priests.

What is this obsession with lore? Just rename them Embalmed Ones.

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,324
    Such a cool unit (and was powerful on the tt)
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.

Such a cool unit (and was powerful on the tt)

I think it would work like the trolls or the crypt horrors. Anti-infantry, regeneration, vulnerable to fire.

• xomitsiousxomitsious Registered Users Posts: 96
    When the undead army was split, GW put Vampires and Necromancers on one side, and Mummies and Liches on the other. These were the most powerful undead, and the lords and heroes of the two armies. (wraiths, whights and -later- banshees could only be heroes)

Like others have said, mummies are in the game, they just became characters (Tomb Kings and Tomb Princes) instead of a unit.

Tomb guard are also mummified I think... So they can serve their lord for all eternity.

So yeah, mummies are still in the game, they just have cooler names now.

When the undead army was split, GW put Vampires and Necromancers on one side, and Mummies and Liches on the other. These were the most powerful undead, and the lords and heroes of the two armies. (wraiths, whights and -later- banshees could only be heroes)

Like others have said, mummies are in the game, they just became characters (Tomb Kings and Tomb Princes) instead of a unit.

Tomb guard are also mummified I think... So they can serve their lord for all eternity.

Why the undead were split in two factions?

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 6,847

Why the undead were split in two factions?
    Because Nehekara and the vampire Coutns are vastly differnet in themes and concept. and because GW felt they could sell twice the armies this way.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,279
    I could see them as the Tomb King version of Aspiring Champions. Small squads of super elite infantry that can help anchor the TK line and evicerate lesser infantry. Pair them up with Bastethi (the mummified big cat pets of the TK) and the Khemric Titan and ship them with Apophas and we've got an excellent LP heavily inspired by The Mummy.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

Wyvax said:

I could see them as the Tomb King version of Aspiring Champions. Small squads of super elite infantry that can help anchor the TK line and evicerate lesser infantry. Pair them up with Bastethi (the mummified big cat pets of the TK) and the Khemric Titan and ship them with Apophas and we've got an excellent LP heavily inspired by The Mummy.

Give this man a job CA.

Wyvax said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. They should be in squads of like 16, and have great weapons and a lot of resistance.

• xomitsiousxomitsious Registered Users Posts: 96
    Maksbo said:

Seeing a couple of Hero Quest mummies in there makes me happy

One is the Standard bearer and the other the musician. Really cool indeed
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,909
    edited December 2020

Tomb guard are also mummified I think...

Hmmmmmmm.....
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,909
    edited December 2020
    Double post...

I really want to see MUMMIES.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
  • MaelasMaelas Registered Users Posts: 5,180
    Mummies would direly confuse every player not attuned with old lore and the cairn list. Like they look like tomb kings units, why would vampire counts have them ?
    Maelas said:

Mummies would direly confuse every player not attuned with old lore and the cairn list. Like they look like tomb kings units, why would vampire counts have them ?

Nobody said Vampire Counts should have them.

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,453
    jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Yes, as has been pointed out time and time again, when the game designers at GW made mummies an undead unit, the Tomb Kings as a faction did not even exist. Later, when they made it up and gave it its own army list, the fleshed out the concept into today's Tomb Kings, Tomb Princes, and at least partially the Liche Priests as well. The Tomb Herald is also partially embalmed. As are some of the cores of the Constructs, such as the body in the Tomb Scorpion.

People don't dislike it "becaus loar", people just know that it's SUPERCEDED lore.

I mean, do people want "Dark Elf Warriors"? Because that's the old version of Bleakswords/Dreadspears/Darkshards.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,829
    CA kinda shat the bed with Tomb Guards. In their lore they were Walmart mummies, so they should have had some light bandaging and a little meat
    ROMOBOY said:

Wyvax said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. They should be in squads of like 16, and have great weapons and a lot of resistance.

jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Yes, as has been pointed out time and time again, when the game designers at GW made mummies an undead unit, the Tomb Kings as a faction did not even exist. Later, when they made it up and gave it its own army list, the fleshed out the concept into today's Tomb Kings, Tomb Princes, and at least partially the Liche Priests as well. The Tomb Herald is also partially embalmed. As are some of the cores of the Constructs, such as the body in the Tomb Scorpion.

People don't dislike it "becaus loar", people just know that it's SUPERCEDED lore.

I mean, do people want "Dark Elf Warriors"? Because that's the old version of Bleakswords/Dreadspears/Darkshards.
    Oldschool Delves are not as cool as oldschool undead.

• HighPriest_AstragothHighPriest_Astragoth Registered Users Posts: 623
    Yitterbum said:

Embalmed Ones was an old Barrow Legion unit for Kemmler. They would fit the Tomb Kings army better to be honest.

I think the newer lore for the Mummies is that they were the original "Barrow Kings" basically the pre-Empire peoples who through either conquest or trade became aware of how Nehekharans embalmed their great Kings and Queens, seeing such a act as far more better then just throwing a body under a pile of rocks(Carin) the Warlords had their Priesthood of Druids, now known as Shadow Druids(due to the culture exchange between these Celtic like peoples and the Nehekharans) do the best they could to mummify them upon their deaths, surprisingly they did a ok job, not as good as the Liche Priests, but all things considered, still a damn good job, Barrow Mounds also started overtaking the more classic Carin Tombs, eventually these same people all died out, and so the Mummies of the Old World ceased to be created, and the Wight Kings came into being.

I could see these mummies coming in as a unit for all Undead factions who search through ruins with a chosen Hero class(VC=Necromancers Tomb Kings=Liche Priests, Vampire Coast=Vampires), however to stick true to the lore, Heinrich Kemmler should have a much greater chance of unearthing them, as well as being the only character who can buff them through a new added skill choice.
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,324
    Wyvax said:

Show me the mummy!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,443

jamreal18 said:

jamreal18 said:

Lol yes I do want back DE spearmen, crossbowmen etc, instead of the overly dramatic copyrightable unit names GW slapped on them late in their existence.

Thank God they didn’t hit HE core with the same treatment.

Back on topic, I think an aspiring champion style mummy unit would be awesome. I can’t think of a good name for them right now, but it would make sense that the King or Princes chief servants and retainers would be imbued with somewhat powerful incantations so they could continue to serve effectively in the afterlife.
  • Emperor_krkEmperor_krk Registered Users Posts: 23
    Wyvax said:

This "anchoring super elite anti-infantry" role is already served by Ushabti in TK roster, doesn't make much sense to make a duplicate in mummies whose only distinction would be the potential "encourage" aura that some people here suggested.

I do miss them (they were quite powerful also in Warhammer: Dark Omen), but come to think of it, they already are in the game: tomb kings, tomb princes and necrotects are all pretty much mummified corpses, promoted to actual characters from a cool unit.

Wyvax said:

This "anchoring super elite anti-infantry" role is already served by Ushabti in TK roster, doesn't make much sense to make a duplicate in mummies whose only distinction would be the potential "encourage" aura that some people here suggested.

I do miss them (they were quite powerful also in Warhammer: Dark Omen), but come to think of it, they already are in the game: tomb kings, tomb princes and necrotects are all pretty much mummified corpses, promoted to actual characters from a cool unit.
    I love the whispering ''chaaarge'' of the undead from Dark Omen.

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,279

Wyvax said:

Show me the mummy!
    Here you go.

Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

This discussion has been closed.