Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

AI should expand much slower

BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 767
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
During last year I've noticed several times that AI gets insane amounts of settlements (40-50) a bit too quick for a varied and fun gaming experience. Right now game is detoriating too quick to the phase where are 3-4 nations taking everything and all minor factions are wiped.

I want to tell my last frustrating experience.

So, I've decided to play as Karak Kadrin on Legendary difficulty with Legendary Chaos Invasion, thinking that finally I can get some challenge.

Oh, how wrong was I..... You see, because your first enemies are Azhag, Mannfred, Drycha and other baddies, Empire is free to start its roll, absorbing other Elector Counts, getting free armies and becoming general insane powerhouse. Now I'm left as a spectator in my own campaign, just watching as Empire conquers everything while I do not even have a chance to catch up.

Karaz Ankor faction has died in my campaign early and Greenskins were a rank 1 faction for a looong time. I thought that is great, cood counter to insane Karl Franz's expansion!

I thought so befroe Empire declared war on them. Grimgor never had a chance. Now poor Greenskins are holding on their last breath at the edge of the Southlands.

It is turn 124 right now and Empire has 109 settlements. Some people may say that it is fun to have a powerful enemy lategame, but no! No way I ever would have fun grinding 109 Empire settlements. I liked it much more during of the patches when any LL-faction AI bonuses were disabled and everywhere were a lot of different faction.

CA, please, change this!

Comments

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,654
    Remove autoconversion. Remove AI growth cheating. Remove AI confederation cheating.

Autoconversion means every settlement captured immediately boosts the power of the conqueror. AI growth cheating means they can build up all regions they take over in no time and confederation cheating allows them to quasi chain them together.

• BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 767

Remove autoconversion. Remove AI growth cheating. Remove AI confederation cheating.

Autoconversion means every settlement captured immediately boosts the power of the conqueror. AI growth cheating means they can build up all regions they take over in no time and confederation cheating allows them to quasi chain them together.

I agree with all of your suggestions. It is a time to make it happen. Campaigns are simply not fun after a certain point right now.
  • elkappelkapp Registered Users Posts: 251
    The game already suffer for most races (those who works, to put it short) from a steamroll problem in the endgame. Removing AI cheats completely will make it easier to get to that point.
    Certain factions obviously have special cheats, like Reikland, KaK, Naggaroth, etc... that for one thing or the other they can get very strong early. Now, i don't have problem in nerfing those factions, expecially Dwarfs since they have bs ar (like, their longbears for ar are like VC bombers) and obviously GS "3 armies, 1 T2 settlement" since their cheats derive mainly from the fact that in the past they were ****. But honestly if we talk about Naggaroth or Morathi, well they need those cheats: one get **** by chaos, the other is basically the only enemy of Ulthuan.
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,952
    edited December 2020
    The game needs a lot more anti-snowball for both the player and AI. I'd bring back conversion before you get a garrison in newly conquered cities and re-add administration costs where the more cities you own the larger global penalty to your income you suffer. That way it's not always the best option to occupy settlements. It could actually be beneficial to not conquer them. The value of raiding and sacking goes up as a result.

It would also help if sieges were redesigned to 1: Be fun 2: Be less common 3: Actually benefit the defender.

Right now it's actually easier to kill an AI army defending walls than it is to fight them in the field. There's more or less zero purpose to actually sieging anything out.

After buffing walls, towers and gates you could then buff battering rams and siege towers and make them meaningful too.

Too many mechanics in this game have been made meaningless.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,269
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,168

^---- This.

For what it's worth - they did reduce recolonizing of recently razed settlements priority. Although they may still do it opportunistically at times. It's helped a little.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 1,950
    edited December 2020
    You want an already insanely easy brain dead campaign to be........even easier?

No thanks lol
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 10,395
    Player should expand slower.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,168
    Proving Grounds.
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 767

No thanks lol

What is is braindead about Karak Kadrin Legendary campaign on its own? It was braindead for me for sure because Empire has taken all of Southalnds, all of Norsca and basically finished the game for me lol, all I had to do is beat Chaos Legendary Invasion (which was sadly far easier to do than I expected).

If Empire was weaker I'd had to do fight Norsca and Greenskins myself and it would be actually fine and interesting playthrough.
    Crossil said:

Player should expand slower.

Well, I had only 16 settlements against 109 of Empire and it gained another 5-10 settlements each 10 turns of the campaign. Player is certainly not the one asking to be limited here, you should certainly see that, right?

But I do not mind having to put a bit more work in growing tall instead of growing wide if it would mean that I'd have an actual chance lategame to fight 40-50 factions instead of usual 3-4 offenders.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,654

No thanks lol

It's braindead with or without AI blobs, the former only adds tons of boring and unchallenging grind on top of it.

So nerfing the AI must come with also nerfing the player hard.

• MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,690
    The problem is not some AI expanding too fast, its the other AI sitting idle for no reason with multiple stacks while in war with another faction.