Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swedish campaign diplomacy

ntwfanntwfan Senior MemberPosts: 615Registered Users
edited January 2012 in Empire: Total War
I'm playing a Swedish campaign on h/h and don't understand how the diplomacy works. I tried to get Denmark's alliance at the start by offering trade and 2000 gold and they still reject my offer! Then 4 turns later, Russia declares war on me followed by Poland. Is there any way to conduct diplomacy at the start or do I simply forget it and go straight for all out war?
Post edited by ntwfan on

Comments

• TeunerTeuner Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    try to give them military access for 5, 10 or for realy important deals even 20 turns
    "Je maintiendrai"
    Slogan of William of Orange

"Mon Dieu, mon Dieu, ayez pitié de moi et de ce pauvre peuple."
    "Mijn God, Mijn God, heb medelijden met mij en met dit arme volk."
    "My God, My God, have pity on me and these poor people."
    William of Orange his last words
  • ntwfanntwfan Senior Member Posts: 615Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    No luck. Thinking the diplomacy might just be random, I restarted a new campaign and immediately offered them trade, alliance, unlimited access and 2000 gold and they still rejected! I wonder if there's been a patch to improve ETW diplomacy since I last played it last year. Just spent over 200 hours on Shogun 2 and thought I'd get back to ETW, so I don't know if there were any diplomacy improvements since then. It really sucks.
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,842Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2011
    To emulate the Great Northern War, Russia, Poland-Lithuania and Denmark (sometimes Prussia) attacking you might be scripted. Also they seem to have campaign goal regions similar to yours so war will be inevitable. If you really, really want peace with one of the factions, offer them a region. That should do it.
    Not easy being a gunpowderhead

Forum Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 9,935Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2011
    Beg to disagree with you Sasu. I never give a faction a region. But, that is a personal thing on my part. :)

What I have found to work is

Give Russia Military Access for 20 years as a gift on your second turn. Don't worry about Poland as long as you do not have a border with them. Poland and Russia will usually do the war dance at some time so you only have to worry about Courland, and they can be stopped, as can the others with a decent garrison in Latvia (??)

Take out Denmark when they DOW. Put your Swedish garrsion as close to Norway as you can and build it up. Put your Pike unit in your port so when the Danes attack it won't be destroyed. The troops in the Dannish capital will be so worried about them they won't bother your forces by Norway. Put your fleet on the arrow beteen the Sweden and Denmark, reinforce them with brigs and 6th rates, and fight like crazy. Raid ports with sloops to keep thier naval units at basic units.

Once you have Norway taken and pacified move your army to Denmark at the crossing. Put your pike unit on a ship and drop them somewhere on the other side of the capital. Make sure they are close to the Hannover border. The city garrison will go after them most times. Move your ships off the crossing arrow and attack the capital. Takes about three turns to clean up after that.

The only thing to remember is TW diplomacy - isn't very good. :)

Enjoy. Peace won't happen anytime soon so you wiill need to ensure you have plenty of time available on your game turns, :)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,842Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2011
    ETW diplomacy is like, ...eh, the slowest kid in the classroom. You don't say he isn't very good. You say he's "special". ;)

@dge1
    I understand the reluctance to give regions away very well. When I give a region to sweeten the diplomatic ...milkshake, the situation has to be dire and I do have every intention of taking it back sooner or later.
    Not easy being a gunpowderhead

Forum Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • ntwfanntwfan Senior Member Posts: 615Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    I would very much like an alliance with Denmark because my first target is ideally Russia. Once that flank is secured, I can expand westwards. But I also recognise the AI won't be as passive on hard, so war with Denmark is a very real possibility early on. I'm not too worried about Poland because they are at war with so many factions including Austria.

As for diplomacy, I wouldn't want to give away a region at the start when I'm still quite weak. Even securing trade at the start is pointless because I spend 1000 gold to get trade with Poland only to have them declare war only a few turns later. Anyway, since the Russians are the first to attack, I'll bring the battle to Moscow.

I'd describe ETW diplomacy as aaargh#!?!#!!** That's why I was glad CA improved diplomacy mechanics in Shogun 2 because good offers really do have a good chance of being accepted, while you're able to see the probability of success before submitting your offer.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    This is part of the reason why i hate going off of medium. The Diplomacy becomes increasingly worse.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 861Registered Users
    edited August 2011
    Sasu wrote: »
    ETW diplomacy is like, ...eh, the slowest kid in the classroom. You don't say he isn't very good. You say he's "special". ;)

lmfao!
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • alexsonalexson Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    I usually start off quite well when I play the Swedish campaign on H/H. I defeat Denmark, hold off Prussia and push back Poland and Russia. However, a few years in, usually when I'm occupied with war on all fronts Great Britain declares war on me. Their superior navy raid my trade routes, put my ports under siege and completely destroys my economy. A few more turns and they start landing armies on the Swedish mainland and/or in the baltic and after that I'm pretty much toast.
  • Unhappy SamuraiUnhappy Samurai Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited January 2012
    With Sweden i believe it's near impossible to avoid war with one of the said factions.. I've done a few different things to win them over..1 sccenario: offer military alliance with Denmark and offer the Estonia region (they insta accept) Russia you trade St Petersburg for Karelia and Don Volsko. (then you have another fur trading region aswell) this scenario allow you to remain allies with Russia and Denmark for as long as you want and since you do not share a border with Poland they will usually stick to themselves and their war with Austria/other factions.

Scenario 2: Very first thing you do is place your troops near Stockholm and the ones in the city in your fleet.. Then click on Copenhagen the Danish capital and your fleet will sail to Malmoe (your trading port) autoresolve the battle and voila you got yourself Denmark in turn 1. Then put your fleet on the arrow so the Danish troops on the Danish mainland can't reach you. A thing to note though is that Russia will follow Denmark to war no matter what but at least you already got the Danish capital now and are in a much stronger position.