Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A business and sales question. WH2 vs 3K. Which is business wise the more successful?

KingGojiraKingGojira Registered Users Posts: 138
edited December 2020 in Total War General Chat
I saw in recent threads claims and sales of 3K being way more money making than WH2. Both still have DLC coming out, but I felt the Warhammer brand wpuld ensure it as the main money maker of the two. Was I wrong?

Which of the two as of today is the bread winner for CA?
Post edited by KingGojira on

Comments

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461
    It depends if the massive 3K launch can outweigh the massive player retention of TW:W, something 3K can't replicate.

I'd have to do the maths and can't be bothered right now.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 4,909
    I think absolutely massive initial sales crush everything. I always laugh when I think about a Triple A title hitting 10 million + immediate sales, like say, old WoW used to do.

Its just SO MUCH MONEY.

That said, do 3K DLC's shift in any meaningful numbers? We know Warhammer does.
    Beastmen

• Quasar2299Quasar2299 Registered Users Posts: 175
    I think Warhammer was likely more profitable in the long run, even though it technically has a smaller playerbase, it's more active, so the DLC sales for Warhammer probably outweigh those of 3K's, but 3K dominates the initial sales, so it's kind of hard to say.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,270
    Business and Sales threads belong in the4 Off Topic area.

Moved.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    There's also the question of how much of the sales goes to GWS.
  • KingGojiraKingGojira Registered Users Posts: 138
    Commisar said:

There's also the question of how much of the sales goes to GWS.

GWS? Games Workshop cut you mean?
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,174
    We don’t know, there’s no official sales figures, although sales of 3K has generally stayed above WH2.

A Chinese audience may not use Steam but whether they do or don’t, 3K sold more units faster.

We don’t know, there’s no official sales figures, although sales of 3K has generally stayed above WH2.

A Chinese audience may not use Steam but whether they do or don’t, 3K sold more units faster.

I heard that part. It sold units quick, but the argument then I hear is WH2 and its DLC continue to make steady cash and has a player market where 3K stop giving milk after initial release.

I heard that part. It sold units quick, but the argument then I hear is WH2 and its DLC continue to make steady cash and has a player market where 3K stop giving milk after initial release.
    As far as I can see 3K DLC goes to the top of global sales and 3K stayed above WH2 for years after its release. Concurrent players cannot be used to measure sales.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 2,944
    3k sold more initially, however its sales dropped off. Where as Warhammer 2 continues to sell well.

3k sold more initially, however its sales dropped off. Where as Warhammer 2 continues to sell well.

Sales didn’t drop off, it stayed above WH2 in global sales for years and often goes above now. Concurrent players doesn’t equate to sales.
  • General_HijaltiGeneral_Hijalti Registered Users Posts: 2,944

Sales didn’t drop off, it stayed above WH2 in global sales for years and often goes above now. Concurrent players doesn’t equate to sales.
    According to steams sales chart and steamspy it didn't.

According to steams sales chart and steamspy it didn't.

Sales figures aren’t known due to third party companies losing information years ago.

According to Steam global sales 3K shows up above or very close to WH2. Sales have not plummeted at all.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,554
    I'd argue warhammer's dlc is doing better as they keep cranking it out and it keeps getting better in my opinion.

But without CA publishing numbers we don't know this one.
    A other thing is also Warhammer 1 sales translate to WH2 as well if you play ME or want to? So that counts as well for Warhammer sales?

A other thing is also Warhammer 1 sales translate to WH2 as well if you play ME or want to? So that counts as well for Warhammer sales?

It’s a tricky one without having a second 3K game to match against it.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,758
    edited December 2020
    Is Three Kingdoms solely on Steam in China though ? Or is it also hosted on something Tencent own ? I know steam was legally in a grey area in China for a long time.

All we really know is that the Three Kingdoms launch likely surpassed the numbers of Warhammer 1 or 2 launches. However on steam Warhammer has a higher concurrent playerbase.

Clearly both are somewhat of a good success if CA can have DLC teams for both with consistent DLC releases.

Remember however each Warhammer game likely has a far higher resource cost for the units and animations than frankly multiple total war games together. Plus GW gets some sort of slice of the pie, whether that's from the initial launch or for every game/dlc sold. I'd imagine it's not like 20/30% or anything monumental though as it still has to be profitable enough for CA

In terms of reach, Tory quite possibly has the highest because of how many users redeemed it from Epic. Though whether that then equates into people continuing to play it and they still haven't released a major DLC that is solely paid for.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,270
    edited December 2020
    One thing that must be considered is that a lot of 3K initial sales were in China, and regional prices are lower there. Also there may be some kind of extra taxation.