Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What are some good documentaries relevant to the Total War eras?

tejas109tejas109 Registered Users Posts: 1
edited December 2020 in Total War General Chat
My love for history is what got me started with this franchise all the way back in Rome 1. I used to watch a lot of documentaries about ancient Rome, etc., but it's been a long time since I did that. What are some recommendations you guys have? They can be relevant to any of the games, as I've played them all to varying degrees!

Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,638
    I can't recall seeing any that have impressed me enough to be worth remembering this past year. I have been watching quite a few youtubers however which do give a good additions in some areas such as equipment and comparing what we see today in settings vs how it would be historically.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,362
    I personally like "Epic History" on youtube, which made an excellent Series about Napoleon.

Channel (with many other topics as well)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/EpichistoryTv/videos
    First video of the Napoleon series.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,998
    There is a famous 1969 Kenneth Clark documentary called Civilization that is worth watching. It’s far from perfect, with parts being quite dated and Eurocentric (it was made in the 60s after all) but I would still recommend it. It’s technically an art history documentary, but you will get a good general overview of the historical contexts covered in the series.

Bethany Hughes is a documentary historian who makes decent documentaries on Classical Antiquity. You can find many of her pieces on YouTube.

CuriosityStream is a streaming service specifically for documentaries. It’s quite cheap (I believe $20 a year), so that could be a good investment.

However, while I enjoy a decent documentary I usually get more out of lectures. Many top universities, such as Yale, Harvard, Cambridge and others, have free learning initiatives. They upload entire semesters worth of courses, including history classes, to YouTube. I would go there.
    ò_ó
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,212
    I’d watch the Danish historical drama 1864, great background for a Victoria TW.
  • greendolphingreendolphin Registered Users Posts: 52
    If you want more than a general knowledge stuff, you can check out the great courses plus. It has good university lectures. I wouldn't recommend you to choose one lecture and buy it unless you have a special interest on the subject since the prices are a bit high. But membership is worth the price i think.

Also youtube channels such as Kings and Generals , Pike & Shot Channel and Bazbattles provides good military history videos.