Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Weapon Design in TROY - Interview

CA_SimoneCA_Simone Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 51
Interested in weapon design? 🗡🛡

We’ve had a chat with Nikolay Toshev, principal artist on TROY, about the art of creating historical weapons in the Trojan war. Read the interview: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/weapon-design-in-a-total-war-saga-troy/

Comments

• BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,090
    I know it is impossible to be 100 percent historically accurate in a modern video game. With that in mind, I really appreciate the attention to detail CA puts into every game they develop.

From the blog post -

“Go smaller than expected if you’re doing a historical game. Real axes and war hammers and stuff are surprisingly small – after all, a tiny hole in the skull is about as deadly as a big one, so with historical weapons less is more. Go bigger than what seems reasonable in a fantasy game. In fantasy, weapons are an extension of the character – the more powerful a character is, the crazier the weapon.”

Might be one of the coolest things Ive ever read in a CA blog.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,894
    Sniff, sniff... two blog updated about Troy? I sense some upcoming Troy news soon...

Btw

Nice blog update. I must say that I have not noticed that Sarpedon's axe is leopard shaped. Cool detail.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
  • ChicoperarioChicoperario Registered Users Posts: 77
    Really cool article. They comissioned bronze weapons to record their sound, I wonder who got to keep them afterwards. Maybe they could distribute those props to fans of this game, through a screenshot contest maybe? ;) Just an idea
  • MetalpixelMetalpixel Registered Users Posts: 20

Really cool article. They comissioned bronze weapons to record their sound, I wonder who got to keep them afterwards. Maybe they could distribute those props to fans of this game, through a screenshot contest maybe? ;) Just an idea

What a great idea !

Or even maybe an object for people who own every single total war game ?
    Bronze items are just magnificient when they aren't corroded.