Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Forest Modifiers - traits for WE in forest combat - SP

coupdegrasscoupdegrass Registered Users Posts: 46
edited January 15 in Balancing Discussions
Hey Com and CA,
Right now - we have three kinds of modifiers for units which fight in forests.
Forest Strider - Increase to MA and MD when in Forests. Currently only on High Elf Rangers.
Forest Stalker - Increase to ranged accuracy and MD. Currently on all WE elf units and beasts (dragons, eagle)
Forest Spirit - Increase to accuracy and MD. Currently on Tree Units (Dryads, Tree Kin and Treeman)

I would suggest that Forest Strider would be a trait for all WE elf melee units. It makes no sense to buff them with accuracy, as they don't have a ranged attack.
Forest Stalker can remain on all WE elf ranged units. That includes glade riders, hawk riders and sisters of thorn.
Forest Spirit - bonuses should change to increase to MA and MD instead of accuracy. Once again, tree units do not benefit from accuracy buff. Also, if it makes more sense lore-wise, forest dragons and great eagles could be considered as forest spirits as rather, rather than forest stalkers. (meaning - change the their trait name)

I'm not a beastmen player, but I'd love to hear your feedback whether beastmen units should receive forest bonuses as well.

Edit: These suggestions are for SP only.
Post edited by coupdegrass on

Comments

• PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,114
    There is so many reasons to not do this.
  • coupdegrasscoupdegrass Registered Users Posts: 46
    Which one of those? And why not?
  • hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 512
    Remove all buffs in forests from MP. Its bad for unit to unit balance as well as it promotes forest camping.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,358
    edited January 15
    hanen said:

Remove all buffs in forests from MP. Its bad for unit to unit balance as well as it promotes forest camping.

they shouldnt be removed but changed. MD buffs promote forest camping , but forest stalker used to give speed bonus in forest. It should go back to that.

Any buffs in forest should only be about visibilty and mobility, not combat effectiveness
  • SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,575
    edited January 15
    I'd rework forest buffs to add a flat CB bonus, that activates once a unit has been in a forest for 5 seconds or so, and last 10-20 seconds after a unit leaves the forest.

That would actually encourage more loreful WE play (ambushes) and would encourage leaving the forest to get the most of it.

Also, a big deal would to simply remove trees visually for MP (just leave them on as tree stumps). That alone would go a great deal towards making forests more tolerable
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,358

I'd rework forest buffs to add a flat CB bonus, that activates once a unit has been in a forest for 5 seconds or so, and last 10-20 seconds after a unit leaves the forest.

That would actually encourage more loreful WE play (ambushes) and would encourage leaving the forest to get the most of it.

Also, a big deal would to simply remove trees visually for MP (just leave them on as tree stumps). That alone would go a great deal towards making forests more tolerable

I think the whole point of forests is that they conceal your army. Removing trees would be like removing hills and terrain, which can also obscure ones vision. I think it should be hard to fight in forests for the player

• SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,575
    Loupi_ said:

I think the whole point of forests is that they conceal your army. Removing trees would be like removing hills and terrain, which can also obscure ones vision. I think it should be hard to fight in forests for the player

Well, units would still be hidden, just wouldn't be obscured by trees when eventually spotted.

Big deal of forest issue is that it literally obscures what's going on so you can't get good matchups and thus rewards the side with more tankiness.

If opponent would be able to physically see what's going after spotting units by some in game way, it would go a long way to making forest fighting less obnoxious.
  • hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 512
    Loupi_ said:

hanen said:

they shouldnt be removed but changed. MD buffs promote forest camping , but forest stalker used to give speed bonus in forest. It should go back to that.

Any buffs in forest should only be about visibilty and mobility, not combat effectiveness
    I dont think this is needed. Visability should be made better in forests and similiar features regardless of unit traits.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 3,811
    hanen said:

That is boring just because of some behaviour though. A better long term solution would be making forests burnable to ground 🔥🔥