Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What if it isn't Guandu?

Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 915
Everyone is expecting Guandu but what if the chapter pack is in a completely different time period? Which scenario would you pick?

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,130
    You know what ?

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 804
    edited January 16
    Rewan said:

You know what ?

229 would be interesting since we will have Liu Shan as nondeployable as he never took part in a campaign with mechanics different from Liu Bei due to differences in personality, for Wei you have Cao Rui whose mechanics will probably more focused on lavished spending instead of his grandfather's politics and espionage, for Wu Sun Quan will be more focused on defence compared to his father and brother who are expansionist.

Other factions could be a Nanman chieftain loyal to Shu as a vassal with opposing tribes as enemies, in Xi Liang the Qiang tribe could be a faction that Shu and Wei engage in diplomacy with.

Ideas above aside I do not know what is next and neither does anyone else, until there is a blog post or trailer posted officially from CA it is all just rumours.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 658
    I would rather 237
    You can add gongsun yuan as a faction , Nanman would still be allies of Shu , wei and Jin would start the dividing battle and wu would have problems with political issues
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 801
    If it isn't a Guandu, maybe they tackle the other end of the timeline?

Give us a "Rise of the Sima Clan" or something like that?

Give us something to lead into 8 Princes with
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,157
    If it isn't Guandu (although I fully expect it to be), I'd imagine they'll skip ahead a few years to 229 and jump straight into the Three Kingdoms period proper.

If they were to do that however, I'd start getting very worried about how much longer they intend to keep supporting the game...
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,130

If they were to do that however, I'd start getting very worried about how much longer they intend to keep supporting the game...

229 was interesting for me because it would allow them to introduce a lot of new characters. At least I think.

My personal collection of hazardous tests and quickfixes (yes this is a link).
    Wondering why you get some traits on your characters this may give you a vague idea

Balance enthusiast, I like tinkering and messing with stuff and values. Cool heads prevails !
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,157
    Rewan said:

229 was interesting for me because it would allow them to introduce a lot of new characters. At least I think.
    Oh it'll definitely be one of the most interesting start dates. My worry is if CA are doing Chapter Packs in chronological order (which they seem to be), then I reckon 229 would be one of the later Chapter Packs, if not the second- or third-last. If they decide to jump right to 229 and skip past other notable events like Guandu, Chibi, Liu Bei's takeover of Yi Province, then we may never see those Chapter Packs, and it might mean that CA has decided to cut 3K's lifespan short - they'll put out the 229 Chapter Pack (because it would be daft to not include the actual Three Kingdoms in a game set in the period) and then say the game is "now complete" and move on from it.
  • AgemmonAgemmon Registered Users Posts: 94

Everyone is expecting Guandu but what if the chapter pack is in a completely different time period? Which scenario would you pick?

If not 199-200ish / Guandu, I would like to see a 208 start and a 229 start. However, I do hope that it is 199-200 because Yuan Shao is severely lacking in the unique character department. It would also be neat to see how his alternate timeline quests / missions play out. We absolutely need this start date at some point, as Yuan Shao will not be present in any later date campaigns.

A 208 start could give us the Red Cliffs map outside of the historical battles game mode (and perhaps a starting event battle for Liu Bei, Sun Qian and Cao Cao). They could honestly just have the campaign start off with the historical battle scenario map that already exists and it would be satisfactory. However, some changes could and should be made. Furthermore, this start date will give Liu Bei a new starting position, setting him up for his acquisition of Yi province. This start date would also give us one last taste of Cao Cao and allow him to defy his defeat at the Battle of Red Cliffs and perhaps even his death a few years later, which would be awesome when you consider that a 229 start date wouldn't include him.

229 for obvious reasons, but a 208 should occur first.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    edited January 17

*Ponder*

Tbh, i agree with Agemmon, around 208-210, just after chi bi. We'll get the battle for tong gate, the invasion of shu, the conquest of jing etc.

If it is the very last chapter pack, i'd say a three kingdoms chapter pack where the three kingdoms use a system similar to Liu Hong (actually just having a small territory while the rest is ruled by empire members) just vastly improved.
    It would start while guan yu &co is still alive
    edited January 17
    Laindesh said:

*Ponder*

Tbh, i agree with Agemmon, around 208-210, just after chi bi. We'll get the battle for tong gate, the invasion of shu, the conquest of jing etc.

If it is the very last chapter pack, i'd say a three kingdoms chapter pack where the three kingdoms use a system similar to Liu Hong (actually just having a small territory while the rest is ruled by empire members) just vastly improved.
    How would you have Shu/Wus relation ? Would they start in a alliance that can deteriorate pretty quick with the wrong moves to fight the much larger wei or would it just be free for all? Because

I’m wondering if just before fan castle would be the best starting time . All 3 kingdoms share a goal at this point . Wei wants to break the Wu/ Shu alliance , Wu would have a pretty big dilemma of a temp alliance with wei to weaken Shu , kill guan Yu and gain most of jing but go to war with Shu straight after like history or instead send military assistance/ attack wei . Shu would be able to possibly keep guan Yu Alive . Other powers around are Nanman (I think should be all united by Meng huo at this point or prehaps just have Meng huo with zhu rong ( which Shu should later get a dilemma to fight the Nanman later on which then eventually leads to them being a vassel/ join shu) and the 3 kings . Shi Xie (vassel of wu) , gongnsun gong (vassel of wei) and anyone else added by then (like northern tribes , Korea and such ) oh and let’s not forget playable sima Yi faction in Wei to break it apart from the inside and possibly with enough work turn the wei kingdom into the Jin kingdom / dynasty

I think fan castle if they did make it a last dlc would be a pretty fitting end
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    edited January 17

Laindesh said:

*Ponder*

How would you have Shu/Wus relation ? Would they start in a alliance that can deteriorate pretty quick with the wrong moves to fight the much larger wei or would it just be free for all? Because

I’m wondering if just before fan castle would be the best starting time . All 3 kingdoms share a goal at this point . Wei wants to break the Wu/ Shu alliance , Wu would have a pretty big dilemma of a temp alliance with wei to weaken Shu , kill guan Yu and gain most of jing but go to war with Shu straight after like history or instead send military assistance/ attack wei . Shu would be able to possibly keep guan Yu Alive . Other powers around are Nanman (I think should be all united by Meng huo at this point or prehaps just have Meng huo with zhu rong ( which Shu should later get a dilemma to fight the Nanman later on which then eventually leads to them being a vassel/ join shu) and the 3 kings . Shi Xie (vassel of wu) , gongnsun gong (vassel of wei) and anyone else added by then (like northern tribes , Korea and such ) oh and let’s not forget playable sima Yi faction in Wei to break it apart from the inside and possibly with enough work turn the wei kingdom into the Jin kingdom / dynasty

Wei would be the strongest at this point (most developed), have the most generals etc.
    Wu and Shu would have the advantage of an alliance that could, playing as shu, be broken with a script and betrayal of Wu.
    If you play as Wu you could get a dilemma choosing what to do.
    That is you could follow the historical route, guan yu dies and it leads to "the battle of yiling".
    Or you can go the other way, try to maintain the uneasy alliance and focus on wei.

The interesting part here is maintaining your empire, keeping factions part of your empire happy and direct them to attack your enemy kingdom. You should also be able to go diplomatic with the enemy's vassals and convince them to switch sides. In short: the campaign would be far more diplomatic\political? than usual.
    I'd love to see a max size territory any general can single handedly hold, if you get to max size you need to give control of it to an vassal. That' be real fun.
    Laindesh said:

Laindesh said:

*Ponder*

Wei would be the strongest at this point (most developed), have the most generals etc.
    Wu and Shu would have the advantage of an alliance that could, playing as shu, be broken with a script and betrayal of Wu.
    That is you could follow the historical route, guan yu dies and it leads to "the battle of yiling".
    Or you can go the other way, try to maintain the uneasy alliance and focus on wei.

The interesting part here is maintaining your empire, keeping factions part of your empire happy and direct them to attack your enemy kingdom. You should also be able to go diplomatic with the enemy's vassals and convince them to switch sides. In short: the campaign would be far more diplomatic\political? than usual.
    I'd love to see a max size territory any general can single handedly hold, if you get to max size you need to give control of it to an vassal. That' be real fun.
    I guess instead of vassels (exsept the ones who actually are vassels) they could have if so excluding your capital region or something you have to assign governors to each region or something which then works like a loyaler vassel. Though it can still end in rebellions if you don’t pick someone loyal or certain events change
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 801

Laindesh said:

Laindesh said:

*Ponder*

I guess instead of vassels (exsept the ones who actually are vassels) they could have if so excluding your capital region or something you have to assign governors to each region or something which then works like a loyaler vassel. Though it can still end in rebellions if you don’t pick someone loyal or certain events change
    Think it would be pretty cool breaking apart Shu/Wu/Wei into playable vassals once we get that far with the start date

Instead of just outright playing as Cao Cao maybe you could play as Zhang Liao in Hefei province, serving as a vassal with the goal of protecting the Wu/Wei border expanding Wei's land into the south