Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lizardman monster advice..

DykerasDykeras Registered Users Posts: 20
Got to the point in my campaign (ME) where Saurus alone are no longer cutting it, so wanting some big monsters for support but unsure what is best vs Greenskins (as i see it only a matter of time before we come to blows)

I have seen people recommend a few Stegadons, both for their range then their damage capabilities, but told to avoid the Ancient Stegadon?
How about 1 or 2 Carnosaurs?

Also, what do people think of Kroxigor Ancients as a leader, rather than Slaan or Saurus Oldblood?

Comments

• KuntingWarriorKuntingWarrior Registered Users Posts: 1,743
    edited January 17
    Against greenskins, Ancient Stegadons will prove more useful than standard as they are better in melee but have shorter missile range.

Dread Saurian's shred through infantry like nothing, just make sure they have support as they have big hit boxes but they are ultimately very worth it.

Carnosaur's are good against other monsters so if you don't have temple guard for anti large then bring a couple Carno's if you can.

Kroxigor Ancient's are amazing at ripping chunks out of infantry and can batter most lords you come across, plus they have great animations where they turn into beyblade's
  • TheWattmanTheWattman Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 360
    I have a standard build when it comes to Lizardmen armies on campaign that I follow unless I use a lord specifically known to lead some other units:

2 units of Temple Guard
    2 x 2 units of Saurus Shields & Spears
    2 únits of Terradon Fireleeches
    2 units of Cold or Horned One Cavalry
    2 units of Kroxigors

As for monsters:
    1 Ancient Salamander (Anti-infantry range + decent combat)
    1-2 units of Salamander Hunting Packs (Anti-infantry range, used in combination with the Ancient)
    1 Carnosaur (Anti-large and speed, usually combined with the cavalry)
    2 Solar Engine Bastiladons (Anti-Infantry, but mostly used to shoot open walled city doors. Otherwise combine it with the Carnosaur)
    1 regular Stegadon or Ancient (I mainly used to tank in infantry or monster fights, not for its ranged capacity. For example, Stegadon engages Greenskin giant in front while Carnosaur bites his ass. Ancient or not depends on the lore-rank of the commander Im using)

As for the Kroxigor Ancient, I don't use him that much unless I use a full Kroxigor army in a Nakai playthrough.
  • PPerunPPerun Registered Users Posts: 145
    Carnasaurs are excellent at intercepting enemy cavalry + disabling archers, skirmishers and artillery.
    Dread Saurians you send into the middle of enemy army and let them win the battle for you, just make sure to block enemy archers, like KuntingWarrior said.
    Stegadons, yes please. In my standard Saurus + Stegadon armies I have 2 ballistae versions for sniping and supporting, 3 ancients to supplement sauruses in tough spots and 2 engine of the gods version for the amazing spell for turning the tides of battle.

Just note that Carnasaurs/Saurians belong to one group on the red line and Stegadons (+Bastiladons, if you care) for another so you will probably want to choose one of them.

Ah, the ancient salamanders. They are nice but you make the most of them only if you have standard salamanders too. So that means emphasise on the skirmish group, meaning you will have a lot of skinks and they could use some support and thats when bastiladons with ark of Sotek comes handy, especially that they belong to the same group as the ancient salamanders. If you want to take this composition, do in on the red crested skink commander, though, as he has some skills that make skinks actually matter.

Similarly, the ancient kroxigors buffs kroxigors and its a nice thing but if you will take them, you will probably want to have only sauruses and kroxigors in your army (+maybe temple guards instead of saurus spears, since they are buffed by the same group as the kroxigors) so its not as flashy as sauruses + single entity monsters but its pretty much as effective. Sauruses + kroxigors can grind through everything.
  • vg45vg45 DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 136
    edited January 17
    Dykeras said:

Got to the point in my campaign (ME) where Saurus alone are no longer cutting it, so wanting some big monsters for support but unsure what is best vs Greenskins (as i see it only a matter of time before we come to blows)

I have seen people recommend a few Stegadons, both for their range then their damage capabilities, but told to avoid the Ancient Stegadon?
    How about 1 or 2 Carnosaurs?

Also, what do people think of Kroxigor Ancients as a leader, rather than Slaan or Saurus Oldblood?

A Heavens Skink Priest for magic and the siege attacker trait is mandatory, but the other heroes are good as well. If you want something more to support your Saurus or just to spice things up bring Salamanders for taking out high priority targets and a few Red/Chamo Skinks or a Skink Chief for applying poison. Ancient Salamanders do not fill an important role in Saurus armies, your Saurus can grind down infantry units on their own pretty well, maybe against Black Orc spam or Chaos but I would usually deal with them using another type of army. Start putting Carnosaurs in Saurus armies and I think you are spending too much on what is supposed to be a relatively cheap army and you get them at a point in campaign where you want to start transitioning away from Saurus stacks. You also want to avoid bringing too many different kinds of units since you cannot cover everyone with the skill tree buffs if you do. The fewer unit types you have the less of a headache it is to command the army.

Do not bring a few Stegadons, bring 16+ with a Slann using Life magic. If you bring weak units like Saurus in this army they get worn down, they cannot get healed and they end up dying in auto-resolve. Stegadon spam is strong, but more than that it can heal in battles which makes it almost unparalleled in enemy territory since it rarely takes casualties and Stegadons can quickly get back to full health by attacking a few weaker armies, dragging out the battles and healing Stegadons up with the Slann. Use the Slann rite every time it is available to get 2 Life Slanns ready to be recruited for when you have 4 of the Slann recruit rank buildings, for Saurus armies I think Fire Slann is superior, flame storm can do serious damage. Regular Stegadons have more range than other monsters and are still pretty fast and good in melee which makes them very versatile and helps mitigate damage ensuring your army can take down one army after the other, combine with the lightning strike skill and your armies become unstoppable. You can throw in a few Scar Veterans or Carnosaurs to make the army better at taking out large targets. Ark of Sotek is a joke unit and Dread Saurians are too costly because you have to build an expensive building for them and they have a supply cap.

Kroxigor Ancient is only for Kroxigor armies because Old Blood on Carnosaur kick ass and get the favour of one of the Old Ones, Slann cast tonnes of magic and Skinks are best for ultra-cheap armies, you could do a 50/50 army with Skinks and Kroxigor in Tehenhauin campaigns, but I think Kroxigor Ancients are mostly for Nakai campaigns. The problem is Nakai's economy is so weak so by the time you get your second army you will probably want it to be a Life Slann with a bunch of Stegadons (which you can recruit for free as Nakai), despite all the buffs Nakai gives to Kroxigor the versatility and strength of the Stegadon Life Slann doom stack is the best Lizardmen can get. Kroxigor Ancients are best for emergency armies, level 1 Kroxigor Ancient is disposable unlike a Slann so if you lose a small city you do not have to cry over the loss of a Slann and Kroxigor Ancients kick way more ass than level 1 Old Blood or Red Skink Lord.