Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cody Bonds prediction...

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,636
    edited January 17
    and you can understand why it failed.

Ah yes the classical "it failed because there's no variety". Guess what, Nanman brought variety and was - on Steam - the least performing DLC. I think that clearly highlights that variety isn't the problem. The problem is that the game has a lot of small - non-gamebreaking - issues (that can still get annoying) and players don't want to really go through those.

Shogun 2 worked. There was even less variety and replayability. Heck the setting was as if not more obscure than the Three Kingdoms.
    And like it or not, 3K absolutely worked. Heck it blasted.

The biggest problem with 3K player retention is Ranked Romance multiplayer imho. If it was Ranked Records I actually genuinely wonder if we wouldn't have more "western" players. (Not a lot but a bit more)

(Also I believe we're in the dark regarding how the game performs in China, since I think they don't go through Steam ?)
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,894
    edited January 17

I think he's probably right that not many people like Three Kingdoms in the west because of its setting. And that's...fine? Like I was under no illusion that this game would be as massive in retention rate as Rome 2 since it's a pretty niche topic outside of Asia. As long as the game can be supported for years by its hardcore fanbase then who cares?

No man, a lot of folks from the west play total war because it combines turn-based campaign gameplay with real time battles. The setting off course is important hence the huge sales in Asia but i’m pretty sure the game also sold pretty decent in the west. Especially with the historical total war fanbase which is still increasing in numbers. Thegreatpam just likes to spice things up on the forum with his juice comments. Sales figures prove he’s wrong.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 860
    edited January 17
    Rewan said:

Ah yes the classical "it failed because there's no variety". Guess what, Nanman brought variety and was - on Steam - the least performing DLC. I think that clearly highlights that variety isn't the problem. The problem is that the game has a lot of small - non-gamebreaking - issues (that can still get annoying) and players don't want to really go through those.

Shogun 2 worked. There was even less variety and replayability. Heck the setting was as if not more obscure than the Three Kingdoms.

The biggest problem with 3K player retention is Ranked Romance multiplayer imho. If it was Ranked Records I actually genuinely wonder if we wouldn't have more "western" players. (Not a lot but a bit more)

(Also I believe we're in the dark regarding how the game performs in China, since I think they don't go through Steam ?)
    I agree it's not only diversity, but Shogun's success has been overstated. Its retention rates didn't experience the collapse of 3K, but they were still mediocre. They are worse than Rome II and Medieval II. Before the offer of April 2020, even Empire surpassed it.

I feel your frustration, but I'm also one of the many who doesn't give a crap about 3K.

One has to wonder why you come into the 3K forums to voice such strong opinions on it failing then.

I like discussing business practices. I do the same with Troy and Warhammer. I hope that's fine and tolerated.

I mean... sure? But you'd probably be better off doing it in the Off Topic section where that kind of stuff is meant go. Saying "This game is objectively bad, here's the facts and figures that proves I'm right, and nothing any of you say will change that" isn't really conducive to discussion.
    I didn't say it's objectively bad, I said it's not very popular.
    NephliteX said:

@TheGreatPamphlet
    You speak as if it were a fact, but still not giving evidence.
    According to Steamdb, TK game sold 500,000 more before and after the holiday season.

You can check the retention rates of every TW game (besides Troy) in Steamchart. Just google the name of the game and add steamchart. Keep in mind that for every title before Empire, the actual figures are actually a bit larger. About the Chinese, Lusted confirmed it back in September. I can't remember where I took the bit about the Koreans.

Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,409
    edited January 17
    Rewan said:

Im quite unsure about china and steam. I know they have their own platform and stuff over there, but at the same time i think i've seen chinese people on steam (modders, guides, reviewers etc). These could be taiwan\hong kong, general asia players though or chinese who have moved elsewhere.
    There's also some smaller and bigger games from china getting released on steam, in both traditional and simplified chinese. In the end i think steam is accessable over there in a heavily monitored fashion (think world of warcraft, blizzard, hearthstone etc.)

Koreans is somewhat active too and there's a community from there always active around. In fact i think both MTU and wu_kingdaissance is made by korean modders as is all faction playable.

I'm no expert on the games state of sales (i havent checked it at all in fact), but i do hope we get atleast 6 more dlc's, even if my expectations is on the 2 we got confirmed.

@shogun 2: thats a whole nother subject of discussion. Pretty sure japanese culture is more deeprooted in the west than chinese culture is.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 748
    Rewan said:

I don't think that's really fair to be honest. Shogun 2 came out a long time ago when cultural verities didn't hit the heights of Rome 2, Warhammer etc. Standards have changed. The Nanman were also released long after launch when the game's retention rates had massively falllen. From my experience the game's lack of variety during its launch window was a big issue when it launched. It's less of an issue now ironically, with Han, Bandit, Yellow Turban, and Nanman cultures.

I do agree though that the lack of good multiplayer definitely hurt the game.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,409

Rewan said:

I don't think that's really fair to be honest. Shogun 2 came out a long time ago when cultural verities didn't hit the heights of Rome 2, Warhammer etc. Standards have changed. The Nanman were also released long after launch when the game's retention rates had massively falllen. From my experience the game's lack of variety during its launch window was a big issue when it launched. It's less of an issue now ironically, with Han, Bandit, Yellow Turban, and Nanman cultures.

I do agree though that the lack of good multiplayer definitely hurt the game.
    They really should have done Nanman much earlier, probably as the first or second dlc.
    I chalk the DLC roadmap down to poor planning.
    edited January 17
    I don't think that's really fair to be honest. Shogun 2 came out a long time ago when cultural verities didn't hit the heights of Rome 2, Warhammer etc.

Medieval 2 was already a pretty diverse game tho as far as I could tell... (at least more diverse than S2)
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 682
    Most of the old TW games have a consistent player base which is impressive for nearly being 10 years old (Shogun 2) , I doubt many modern games can say the same

And I'm not buying the narrative of TK isn't very popular. It sold a insane amount of copies. People had interest to purchase the game , either from the trailers (which where dope) or from their knowledge of the time period.

People arnt going to spend every day playing an unfinished game. I haven't played Bannerlord in over a year. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, I'm just not going to put a ton of hours into a game that is ever changing 🤷‍♂️ I'm waiting
    Total War 3K was incredibly popular when it launched and has not retained its playerbase. The current Total War 3K playerbase is far smaller than Warhammer and sometimes is smaller than Rome 2. This isn't a debate, it's just a fact.

I don't really care about it, but let's be honest.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 464
    edited January 17
    People say the peaks go up and down? This could very well be mods being updated people wanting to see what’s new in their favourite mods and such . Play around with it for a bit then return in waiting .

I think three kingdoms had some sort of sale around December when more people bought it? I know a few people have said in the past about how they wait till a steam sale to get total wars
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 627
    edited January 18
    The funny thing is I never went into TW3K expecting variety because it is a civil war so at minimum I went in thinking uniform colours would be different and no I don't mean Shogun 2 level of different uniforms because a lot of the design choices I found weird.
    Post edited by Vin362 on
    Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,977

And those of us who enjoy the game don't care much if it is or not. If you want to discuss business practices, there's the Off Topic section. Frankly, it seems more like you're just here to heckle from the sidelines.
    edited January 18

Most of the old TW games have a consistent player base which is impressive for nearly being 10 years old (Shogun 2) , I doubt many modern games can say the same

And I'm not buying the narrative of TK isn't very popular. It sold a insane amount of copies. People had interest to purchase the game , either from the trailers (which where dope) or from their knowledge of the time period.

People arnt going to spend every day playing an unfinished game. I haven't played Bannerlord in over a year. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, I'm just not going to put a ton of hours into a game that is ever changing 🤷‍♂️ I'm waiting

And those of us who enjoy the game don't care much if it is or not. If you want to discuss business practices, there's the Off Topic section. Frankly, it seems more like you're just here to heckle from the sidelines.
    I mean, the popularity of the game is part of the argument and discussion regarding its future. If you don't care, why do you participate in the thread? If you believe that the thread is misplaced, I think it would be more productive to contact the moderation staff.

And I'm not buying the narrative of TK isn't very popular. It sold a insane amount of copies. People had interest to purchase the game , either from the trailers (which where dope) or from their knowledge of the time period. People arnt going to spend every day playing an unfinished game. I haven't played Bannerlord in over a year. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, I'm just not going to put a ton of hours into a game that is ever changing 🤷‍♂️ I'm waiting

So, is Steamchart lying? We don't interpret these stats in a vacuum, but in comparison to the other games.
    By the way, we can't know how people abandoned 3K in such a massive scale, but that doesn't interest CA either. Retention rates are low, which gives zero incentive to prolong the game's life-circle.
    Nestor.

edited January 18
    Retention rates are low, which gives zero incentive to prolong the game's life-circle.

Yeah except it's as good as any other Total War really. Warhammer was always the exception, not the rule.
    Umm, no it's not? Rome II more than one year after its release had double the numbers of 3K in active players, despite selling less. Even today it often surpasses 3K. In fact, relatively speaking, no other TW game has experienced such a sharp decline, with the exception of Throb, which is generally considered one of the worst games of the franchise. Again, there's no point in this discussion, if you don't even bother to read the steamcharts.
    Nestor.

edited January 18
    Even today it often surpasses 3K

I mean over 2020 there was a SINGLE month where Rome 2 had more player on average than 3K. If 1 out of 12 is "often" for you then you must live in a very oftenish world.

Rome 2 and 3K appeal to different audiences + again we're not sure steamcharts gives us the exact number of player because of the chinese playerbase x factor (I'm not sure they are referenced in it since I'm not sure they play on Steam per se anymore)
    Post edited by Rewan on
    I think it probably is true that Three Kingdoms is not as popular in the West as it is in Vietnam, China and Korea. Just from my own personal experience in the franchise.

I don't really care if Three Kingdoms underperformed in the West though. Not everyone in the West is going to like it, who cares? As long as the game has a strong enough hardcore, dedicated fanbase that can keep the game supported with DLC, does it matter?
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,445
    If 3 Kingdoms is popular in Korea, do you guys think Korea will be a good title?

Chapter Packs will work on Korean 3 Kingdoms as each Chaper Pack will be composed of different characters unlike in China 3Kingdoms, wherein every Chapter Pack there are mostly the same Characters. The same Characters are being reworked on.
    edited January 18
    If 3 Kingdoms is popular in Korea, do you guys think Korea will be a good title?

I personnally wouldn't be against it. I ain't a picky eater after all. (Which doesn't change the fact I want Korea to be represented in 3K - even if it's not yet their pivotal moment)
    But it would probably have to be a Saga title.

And also if it's Korea we're talking about... well, gotta make it esport competitive. For realsies.
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 682
    @TheGreatPamphlet

Naw I don't think the steam charts are lying, but I don't think people like spending time playing unfinished games, which is what TK is

I brought up Bannerlord because it's a good example. I haven't touched it in quite sometime, what would be the point? They are constantly updating it and make large changes that effect campaign gameplay. What's the point of spending hours on a character when I'm gonna want to restart a month from now with another big update

The same goes for TK. I'm someone who loves the time period, and enjoys the game, but I'd rather wait until it's a finished project before spending hours playing it.

And look, we can go back and forth on player retention rate all day, but the fact is if they abandoned the game (hypothetically) you don't see how that would be extremely detrimental for them going forward?

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,994
    Off topic side conversation removed. Folks, be a little more tolerant of differing opinions.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    Folks, be a little more tolerant of differing opinions.

Can I say that in my differing opinion my :trollface: was doing nothing wrong ?
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 627
    As my signature says I am waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date and I there so many options to how it can play out.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K
  • YANGXuYANGXu Registered Users Posts: 37
    edited January 19
    Rewan said:

Even today it often surpasses 3K

I mean over 2020 there was a SINGLE month where Rome 2 had more player on average than 3K. If 1 out of 12 is "often" for you then you must live in a very oftenish world.

Rome 2 and 3K appeal to different audiences + again we're not sure steamcharts gives us the exact number of player because of the chinese playerbase x factor (I'm not sure they are referenced in it since I'm not sure they play on Steam per se anymore)
    You should know that Chinese players who play this game LEGALLY should play mostly on steam. Obviously, we also have a very large pirate player base, a supposedly larger community.
    Another thing, the number of Chinese players does not translate into profit equally compared with that in the West. In Britain, this game sells at £45 at full price. In China, it's £30. And it is almost always on sale. At this very moment, it is on sale at £10...
    So, although TK has a slightly larger (legal) player base than Rome 2 (an 8-year-old game?) as we speak, I can't imagine that CA is super incentivised to keep providing content support for the game.
    edited January 19
    CA is super incentivised to keep providing content support for the game.

Believe it or not, the playerbase for R2 has been pretty much - on average - constant (and like 3K it has spikes on Content Release). In general TW games have a strong launch and the immediately plumet to their average - which they then keep for a long time.

So again, by the numbers the situation is not nearly as grim for the game as some desperate people would like it to be.
    (We all know that the game massively overperformed CA expectations, and it also took longer for the game to dip down into the average number of players)
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,894
    edited January 20
    As for Cody's predictions:
    • Troy will have more DLCs in 2021 and it has been confirmed on the livestream. I assume it will have at least 2 more (with support at least until Steam release).
    • I think that WH2 DLC will arrive later around May-June.
    • WH3 could be released very late in 2021 (like 4Q) or even early 2022. There are delays everywhere.
    • 2 DLCs in 2021 for 3K seems realistic (maybe 3 at best).

No offence to Cody, but he doesn't seem to have done much research on DLC for 3K.

He seems to think a Chapter Pack is equivalent to a Warhammer Lord Pack and would introduce the Northern Nomads. Anyone who has followed the game would know that isn't the case, as CA have basically said as much.

And I think his prediction that the Korean Kingdoms would arrive this December is extremely optimistic. I wouldn't expect to see them until next year at the earliest.

I'd take everything in this video with a very large grain of salt, to be honest.

Personally, I think we're most likely to get (in order of release)
    Guandu
    Northern Nomads
    Chibi
    Ma Chao rebellion/Liu Bei into Shu/Invasion of Hanzong (post-Chibi basically)
    Invasion of Jing Province
    Korea
    Proper 3 kingdoms start date (including events like the nanman rebellion as well)
    Possibly Chu-Han as a final dlc, to mirror 8 princes (sort of like Shogun 2 having a sequel and a prequel dlc)
    That's pure fantasy. It would pretty much mean that 3K will be developed at least until 2023. No chance. There are probably 4 DLCs remaining, tops. Gunadu, Northern Nomads, perhaps another chapter pack (not very likely) and lastly Korea.
    In general I would say that 3K will be most likely supported until the next major historical title. It does not seem that we will see one at least until late 2022.

Rome 2 received years of support, even getting dlc after the release of Attila. They could do the same with 3k.

Not really. Systematic support for Rome II ended in 2014. Then there were two DLCs accompanied with patches in 2017 and 2018 and that was it. No continuity at all. Rome II was of course the exception, as the last major historical game without any serious competition, a benefit that 3K doesn't enjoy. Neither its retention numbers, which are often lower than those of R2 5 years after its release.
    Yeah, the resurgence of Rome 2 content was more from CA Sofia having to learn the ropes regarding Total War titles.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
    Rewan said:

CA is super incentivised to keep providing content support for the game.

Believe it or not, the playerbase for R2 has been pretty much - on average - constant (and like 3K it has spikes on Content Release). In general TW games have a strong launch and the immediately plumet to their average - which they then keep for a long time.

So again, by the numbers the situation is not nearly as grim for the game as some desperate people would like it to be.
    (We all know that the game massively overperformed CA expectations, and it also took longer for the game to dip down into the average number of players)
    Except that Three Kingdoms experienced a more dramatic fall than any other game.

In the first six months, it fell -54%, -52%, -42%, -38% and -20%. In comparison, Rome II fell -47%, -27%, +8%, -4% and -6%, despite its disastrous launch. All TW games performed relatively better than 3k, except for Throb.

In absolute terms, R2 again surpasses 3k in average players, despite the latter selling much more.

3k: 46k, 22k, 12k, 7k, 6k, 5k.
    R2: 18K, 13K, 14K, 13K, 12K, 12K.

https://steamcharts.com/app/214950

https://steamcharts.com/app/779340
    Nestor.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,445
    RafSwi7 said:

2 DLCs in 2021 for 3K seems realistic (maybe 3 at best)

Why only 2? Atleast 3 is realistic...

jamreal18 said:

RafSwi7 said:

Well the release schedule seems to be around 4-6 months. Assuming that the next pack will be released on February, there's barely time for 3 DLCs. It could be done, but it's the maximum, in my opinion.
    Nestor.

• RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,894
    edited January 20
    jamreal18 said:

RafSwi7 said:

There is a lot of bugs that need to be patched out. Also, FLC will most likely bring another faction and that also requires more work. Northern Tribes will also add new regions to the map which also require more time put into it. 3K DLCs also arrive with some reworks.

It should also be noted that in 2020 we had 3 DLCs for Three Kingdoms (Mandate of Heaven, World Betrayed and Nanman) but Mandate of Heaven has been already delayed and it was originally supposed to release in 2019 IIRC, so 2 DLCs per year seems to be the most realistic. Not that I would mind 3...

Troy in theory has more chances for 3 (if it will be supported that long) because it's DLCs are rather minor and Troy has not as many bugs as 3K or WH.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.