Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Sisters of Avelorn HE

Comments

• Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 6,189
    edited February 3
    yst said:

^ What a frikking joke lol comparing sisters to starfire

$200 cost cut? rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sisters destroys saurus without shield in melee, and owns the crap out of squires, they also destroys $850 tomb halberd, melee alone puts them at bare minimum of $725 range

They r also easily a $900 archer compare to starfire.

What a joke ppl thiking they r a $900 unit lol

Speaking about jokes, by destroying saurus without shield you then mean losing to saurus without shields?

I can get that result if I set battle difficulty to Easy and control the archers though.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,868
    That is absolutely correct. Unshielded saurus is a mistake, its unshielded saurus spear, doesnt change the fact these jokes delusional $900 sisters lol, makes me laugh so hard rofl
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • Elder_BasiliskElder_Basilisk Registered Users Posts: 434
    And this is the quality content we've come to expect from this forum. Vitriolic mockery followed by walk back when the head to head comparisons mentioned turn out to be manipulated or otherwise unduplicable. Allegedly by mistake, however the mistakes always seem to go in the same direction.

But I'll stand by the 150-200 overcosted analysis in their present form. They're currently marginal: usable in some matchups but not matchup defining in any matchup. At the 50 to 100 cost reduction they would still be in the same marginal range. Given the 150 to 200 cost reduction, they would be generally good and would probably become meta in a couple matchups. But that's a good thing: if a faction has a very wide range of units but only a few of them define the meta in most matchups, then it means that the roster is generally underpowered and the faction is being held together by the few units which aren't as underpowered.

Right now, it's telling that the janky workaround of bringing a boatload of nonAP archers and a stripped down foot caster with plague of rust is a far more meta method for dealing with armor than actual dedicated AP archers. And for those who are slow, what it is telling is this: "high elf dedicated AP archers are not good units."
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,468

And this is the quality content we've come to expect from this forum. Vitriolic mockery followed by walk back when the head to head comparisons mentioned turn out to be manipulated or otherwise unduplicable. Allegedly by mistake, however the mistakes always seem to go in the same direction.

But I'll stand by the 150-200 overcosted analysis in their present form. They're currently marginal: usable in some matchups but not matchup defining in any matchup. At the 50 to 100 cost reduction they would still be in the same marginal range. Given the 150 to 200 cost reduction, they would be generally good and would probably become meta in a couple matchups. But that's a good thing: if a faction has a very wide range of units but only a few of them define the meta in most matchups, then it means that the roster is generally underpowered and the faction is being held together by the few units which aren't as underpowered.

Right now, it's telling that the janky workaround of bringing a boatload of nonAP archers and a stripped down foot caster with plague of rust is a far more meta method for dealing with armor than actual dedicated AP archers. And for those who are slow, what it is telling is this: "high elf dedicated AP archers are not good units."

Not dropping any names but some posters on here are notorious for claiming certain results and then walking them back when someone actually checks these claims.
    edited February 3
    Yea i know right, same bunch of epic fail balancers again. Lulz $900 sisters, good one. Such is the quality of the forums at this point. Bar keeps dropping, sadly they actually believed $900 sisters is thing

Sisters already been discussed to death

Maybe scroll back and see which guy said exactly why sisters ap should be between waywatchers and starfire, and guess what happen on the patch after.

Not even gonna waste more time on these stupidly overtuned factions with war3 coming. The more op they r the better lol, we can finally see some real stuffs.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,616
    Looser formation (like wildwood rangers) would make them worth the 1100. Right now they are decent but very niche
  • DaBoyzAreBackInTownDaBoyzAreBackInTown Registered Users Posts: 647
    I think a small price decrease would be best. Skirmish formation doesn't make much sense here.

-25 or -50 would be in the right ballpark. Or stats to that equivalent
    Pre-Covid Forum Account: Orklads
    Discord/Steam Name: Glorious Feeder
  • BovineKingBovineKing Registered Users Posts: 465
    They are fine as is when I was comparing them I just meant they also fall into category of elite archer unit they aren’t meant to be used in mass they cost that much for a reason.
  • AnalogAnalog Registered Users Posts: 302
    yst said:

Yea i know right, same bunch of epic fail balancers again. Lulz $900 sisters, good one. Such is the quality of the forums at this point. Bar keeps dropping, sadly they actually believed $900 sisters is thing

Maybe scroll back and see which guy said exactly why sisters ap should be between waywatchers and starfire, and guess what happen on the patch after.

Not even gonna waste more time on these stupidly overtuned factions with war3 coming. The more op they r the better lol, we can finally see some real stuffs.

IKR!
    Reminds me of this Balance failure who insisted that Silvren were THE most broken thing the game had ever seen and that they needed like 40 less armour and less magic resist with +100

Guess what happened next patch? None of it!
    Wonder if we will hear from him again if daemons don't end up being the most meta thing the game has ever seen.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 4,391
    The problem is hybrid (melee/ranged) units being **** in this game, with the exception of anti large ones due to how anti large bonus is balanced in a disproportionate way.

The "impressive" melee stats of sisters of Averlorn are barely worth 500 gold, simply because they are a 60 model unit with low HP, that will be destroyed by anything with a decent charge
    e bonus.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,329
    edited February 3
    Interestingly, Sisters will become pretty OP if CA ever made elite melee nfantries more viable. They won't even need to touch their sisters and they'd still become insanely powerful by that power shift in other units alone
    Analog said:

IKR!
    Reminds me of this Balance failures

That was hilarious, remember how many pages we got from that? Those noobs thought silverins r balance HAHAHAHHA
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 31,746
    edited February 4
    hanen said:

The only thing they need is getting nerfed. Less range, less firing frequency and the removal of all free perks like hyper-accurate blindfire and shooting while in combat. Then the 1100g pricetag might even be accurate instead of being way too low.

I like how you seem to always play a completely different game. Are you sure you play vanilla and not with mods?
    I like how people get personal as a first resort since actually arguing with facts and arguments is hard.

In SP SoA are all you ever need for any HE army. 19 SoA demolish anything the AI can throw at you. You don't even need to give movement orders and that's baseline SoA, not even insanely buffstacked ones.

In MP SoA prevent anyone from bring heavy infantry against HE because they could just eliminate them in a heartbeat, since they bring AP/Magic/Fire damage in a cheap package and cannot be deterred by light cavalry or hounds.

Arguing price buff, LOL!

Sorry, but when Swordmasters cost 1300g and have a snowball's chance in hell of ever making that cost back, 1100g SoA, who can actually recoup their cost and then some for sure don't deserve any sort of pricecut. Ridiculous.

• turrehundturrehund Registered Users Posts: 397

hanen said:

The only thing they need is getting nerfed. Less range, less firing frequency and the removal of all free perks like hyper-accurate blindfire and shooting while in combat. Then the 1100g pricetag might even be accurate instead of being way too low.

I like how you seem to always play a completely different game. Are you sure you play vanilla and not with mods?
    I like how people get personal as a first resort since actually arguing with facts and arguments is hard.

In SP SoA are all you ever need for any HE army. 19 SoA demolish anything the AI can throw at you. You don't even need to give movement orders and that's baseline SoA, not even insanely buffstacked ones.

In MP SoA prevent anyone from bring heavy infantry against HE because they could just eliminate them in a heartbeat, since they bring AP/Magic/Fire damage in a cheap package and cannot be deterred by light cavalry or hounds.

Arguing price buff, LOL!

Sorry, but when Swordmasters cost 1300g and have a snowball's chance in hell of ever making that cost back, 1100g SoA, who can actually recoup their cost and then some for sure don't deserve any sort of pricecut. Ridiculous.
    I completely agree that Sisters are overpowered in Single Player, but they are far from that in MP. Sure, Sisters can beat back 400g hounds but it's still a disaster if you let your unarmored, low HP archers get charged by a hound unit, even more so when they cost 1100g. With Sisters you still need to protect them with defensive infantry, so it's not like their melee stats make them an independent unit on the battlefield.

Lowering melee stats and lowering cost would make them still viable in MP (maybe more so) and make 19 doomstack sisters less viable.
    turrehund said:

hanen said:

Arguing price buff, LOL!

I completely agree that Sisters are overpowered in Single Player, but they are far from that in MP. Sure, Sisters can beat back 400g hounds but it's still a disaster if you let your unarmored, low HP archers get charged by a hound unit, even more so when they cost 1100g. With Sisters you still need to protect them with defensive infantry, so it's not like their melee stats make them an independent unit on the battlefield.

Lowering melee stats and lowering cost would make them still viable in MP (maybe more so) and make 19 doomstack sisters less viable.
    See, all this will do is making SoA more attractive to field in large numbers and cement the ranged meta even more. So no, I will never support such suggestions because the ranged meta is already obnoxious enough as is.

You still see SoA more often used effectively in MP than you see Swordmasters, do you?

turrehund said:

hanen said:

Arguing price buff, LOL!

See, all this will do is making SoA more attractive to field in large numbers and cement the ranged meta even more. So no, I will never support such suggestions because the ranged meta is already obnoxious enough as is.

You still see SoA more often used effectively in MP than you see Swordmasters, do you?
    Well, then we can disagree about whether or not to lower cost, but as of right now they are fine where they are at 1100g if you disagree with making them purely ranged focused.

Yes, well, I don't think anyone disagrees that elite infantry (and especially elite glass cannon infantry) are absolute rubbish. Doesn't inherently make SoA overpowered at 1100g.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,660
    elite infantry aren't absolute rubbish, in my experience.
    turrehund said:

turrehund said:

hanen said:

Arguing price buff, LOL!

Well, then we can disagree about whether or not to lower cost, but as of right now they are fine where they are at 1100g if you disagree with making them purely ranged focused.

Yes, well, I don't think anyone disagrees that elite infantry (and especially elite glass cannon infantry) are absolute rubbish. Doesn't inherently make SoA overpowered at 1100g.
    Until Swordmasters actually earn their 1300g pricetag, SoA will be underpriced at 1100g.

turrehund said:

turrehund said:

hanen said:

Arguing price buff, LOL!

Until Swordmasters actually earn their 1300g pricetag, SoA will be underpriced at 1100g.
    Again, most ranged units will often make up their value or more because you depend on a defensive unit to protect them. Swordmasters being underpowered doesn't make Sisters of Avelorn overpowered. You're still paying 1100g for an unarmored, low HP, low model count archer unit in tight formation.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 6,189
    Why don't we add the caps to sp armies as well to spare us balance rants based on sp doom stacks?
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,616

Why don't we add the caps to sp armies as well to spare us balance rants based on sp doom stacks?

good idea, a cap option would be great
    edited February 4
    turrehund said:

turrehund said:

turrehund said:

hanen said:

Arguing price buff, LOL!

Again, most ranged units will often make up their value or more because you depend on a defensive unit to protect them. Swordmasters being underpowered doesn't make Sisters of Avelorn overpowered. You're still paying 1100g for an unarmored, low HP, low model count archer unit in tight formation.
    Except you don't need to defend SoA from any chaff backline cleaner since they can deal with that himself and pretty easily sp (and they can keep shooting while fighting off the dogs or light cavalry anyway thanks to that idiotic free perk of ranged units), so SoA have either be focus fired with multiple units (since they dish out so much DPS) or be attacked with heavier units.

Swordmasters? Get bombed on the way to the frontline and never earn a single cent. Sorry, I see no equality here whatsoever.

• WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,468
    Someone said that SoA are OP because they can beat Saurus spears without shields. While this is true, Saurus spears are on the weaker side of units in general and are an anti-large specialist so this is a very cherry-picked example.

Here is another example: SoA lose quite convincigly to Flagellants... a 600g with no armour and non-exitant melee def.
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 2,329

Please.

Why the hell haven't CA implemented such an obvious fix yet?!
    Swordmasters have nothing to do with the balance of sisters.

The lack of viable* swordmaster armies is not because sisters of Avelorn; it is because they only counter one thing--elite infantry and have too many other counters themselves (they especially suffer from being countered by monstrous infantry--otherwise they might see use against greenskins, lizards, and norsca). If sisters of Avelorn vanished from the high elf roster in the next patch, you wouldn't see more swordmasters--you would just see slightly more of what you see already: plague of rust with basic archers.

*Swordmasters actually are decent in a couple matchups. They're pretty good in the dwarf matchup and the mirror match. And they have as much meme potential as sisters of Avelorn against vampire counts.

Swordmasters have nothing to do with the balance of sisters.

The lack of viable* swordmaster armies is not because sisters of Avelorn; it is because they only counter one thing--elite infantry and have too many other counters themselves (they especially suffer from being countered by monstrous infantry--otherwise they might see use against greenskins, lizards, and norsca). If sisters of Avelorn vanished from the high elf roster in the next patch, you wouldn't see more swordmasters--you would just see slightly more of what you see already: plague of rust with basic archers.

*Swordmasters actually are decent in a couple matchups. They're pretty good in the dwarf matchup and the mirror match. And they have as much meme potential as sisters of Avelorn against vampire counts.

They have everything to do with it, because they're much more expensive despite having a way harder time to actually earn back their value.

O, good thing bringing up Vampire counts...the one army not having ranged troops (and Swordmasters will just get bogged down fighting summons anyway). Mirror MU? If the other guy brought the cheaper SoA, guess what, they'll gladly shoot the Swordmasters to pieces before they can come close, and they'll trade favorably while doing so. Dwarfs? Why bring Swordmasters when you have Noble Chariots who are practically a hard counter to Dwarfs?

• XiphosXiphos Registered Users Posts: 177
    Sisters and swordmasters are far from bad, they are niche, and you need to understand how and when to use them.

I would like the option to have spread formation for sisters, in their current state they get demolished by artillery and if you don't dodge spells you will suffer heavily, but once you understand that those are the only sisters' weakness, you will be able to play around it and get good value from your sisters.

Same thing for swordmasters, bring 1, make sure you place them properly and that you throw them in the proper fight, and you will see what they can do.

HE elite infantry should be used sparingly, 1 sister or 1 swordmaster can make any HE army very scary if you play them properly.
    I'm not convinced that sisters--or swordmasters for that matter-ought to be niche. Making a faction where most of the units--or even most of the elite units--are niche and have very limited use cases is bad design and it is most definitely not how most other factions are designed.

For Lizardmen, skinks aren't niche, saurus aren't niche, and temple guard aren't niche. For skaven, skavenslaves aren't niche and clanrats aren't niche. Stormvermin are niche and that is a source of constant dissatisfaction. For chaos, marauders, chaos warriors, and chosen are all viable. For greenskins, goblins, orc boyz, savage orcs, big uns and black orcs are all viable and non-niche. For wood elves, glade-guard aren't niche (or at least starfire shafts and hagbane tips aren't), waywatchers aren't niche, and neither are deepwood scouts. They all have their use cases, but in well designed rosters, most units should have enough use cases to not just be relegated to niche status. That's why I think in this thread, the goal shouldn't be to ask, "what can make these units slightly more viable niche units?" Instead, the goal should be to ask "what can make these units good units that are useful in a variety of matchups?"
  • DexieaDexiea Registered Users Posts: 43

That's why I think in this thread, the goal shouldn't be to ask, "what can make these units slightly more viable niche units?" Instead, the goal should be to ask "what can make these units good units that are useful in a variety of matchups?"

yes
  • RazeAndBurnRazeAndBurn Registered Users Posts: 220
    yst said:

So you just changed the tune to the other argument we were not part of and may not share the opinion you're blasting to make yourself look in the right.

Just what kind of thinking is that?