Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is the Orion Trilogy worth it?

Ulthuan_VolcanoUlthuan_Volcano Registered Users Posts: 299
Orion is my favorite wood elf legendary lord and I just found out that there is a trilogy of novels about him https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/warhammer-chronicles-the-orion-trilogy-ebook-2019.html the Orion Trilogy.

Are those books well written and do they develop the character and the wood elf lore? I'd especially like to learn more about Orion and explore Athel Loren a bit more.
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/ Ulthuan, Home of the Asur. If any high elf player is in the hobby too I would suggest you to check this forum.

Comments

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,316
    None of the Black Library is particularly well written. Especially in comparison to ACTUAL fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

It’s mostly tropes, exposition, and fluff.

That being said, they are easy reads and if you’re into the featured characters you’ll likely still enjoy it.

They’re kind of like Godzilla movies for me. I LIKE Godzilla movies. I enjoy watching almost all of them, even the cheesy old rubber suit ones with horrible dubs. They’re harmless, mindless fun.

But I’m under no delusion that they’re GOOD movies. They’re pretty horrible actually 😂🤣

^thats kind of what the Black Library is. Cheesy goodness. You can enjoy it if you measure your expectations. You might find them fun :) But don’t go into it expecting quality literature with good character development. Even the ones featuring Elves are still quite bad.
  • manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 2,323
    Bact to topic, the trilogy sucks, there's not Scarloc.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,965
    Off-topic comments removed. Please just discuss the topic, such as it is.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 2,284
    edited February 15
    You might want to give "Guardians of the Forest" a try. Orion doesn't make an appearance, but the book does a good job in showing how Wood Elves live and the relationship between them, Athel Loren, and Bretonnia.

Unfortunately, most of the books about the Elven factions aren't particularly good, barring maybe Malus Darkblade. The Elves are too human, their societies too medieval, the characters uninspired, and the plots predictable. They do a passable job with providing fluff and filling in gaps in the narrative, but they're just not fun to read.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,505

You might want to give "Guardians of the Forest" a try. Orion doesn't make an appearance, but the book does a good job in showing how Wood Elves live and the relationship between them, Athel Loren, and Bretonnia.

Unfortunately, most of the books about the Elven factions aren't particularly good, barring maybe Malus Darkblade. The Elves are too human, their societies too medieval, the characters uninspired, and the plots predictable. They do a passable job with providing fluff and filling in gaps in the narrative, but they're just not fun to read.

Its not like dwarf books are any better though, gave up reading the rest of maaters of oath and steel omnibus

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 2,284
    saweendra said:

Its not like dwarf books are any better though, gave up reading the rest of maaters of oath and steel omnibus
    At least they capture the feel and character of the Dawi; the "War of the Beard" series did a good job on outlining how and why the Dwarves went to war since you're shown how they understand honor, oaths, and obligations, as well as the political schisms within Karaz Ankor. I left the series feeling like they really had no choice despite figures like Gortrek clearly regretting the decision.

The Elves are just shown to either be racist, or not racist. There's no nuance to their motivations beyond "Dwarf is gross" despite Imladrik and other Elves clearly respecting the Dwarves. The lore tells us that the High Elves really admired their crafts and artistry, but that's entirely absent in the series. I could not tell how or why the Elves decided to keep trade relations all this time.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 15,505

saweendra said:

At least they capture the feel and character of the Dawi; the "War of the Beard" series did a good job on outlining how and why the Dwarves went to war since you're shown how they understand honor, oaths, and obligations, as well as the political schisms within Karaz Ankor. I left the series feeling like they really had no choice despite figures like Gortrek clearly regretting the decision.

The Elves are just shown to either be racist, or not racist. There's no nuance to their motivations beyond "Dwarf is gross" despite Imladrik and other Elves clearly respecting the Dwarves. The lore tells us that the High Elves really admired their crafts and artistry, but that's entirely absent in the series. I could not tell how or why the Elves decided to keep trade relations all this time.
    that is on my reading list but its bit far away too many books to go through before i hit it.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc