Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Warhammer 40k a real possiblity now?

2»

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710

The campaign changes? Too difficult to say how much, but of course, campaigns should always change game to game.

I'm not talking about DoW, I'm talking about 40K units existing within TW mechanics and play style. If CA make it that way those units can't 'argue' and say.. 'nah we are rebelling and reverting back to DoW'.

I'm just basing it on facts, as in CA can merely apply the constraints of a TW game onto the various units. You appear to be arguing - it won't 'feel' like TW. Which is highly subjective.

No I'm not. I've said they can't do both 40K as the setting or have it be TW. They end up being rather polar opposites unless you think that DoW could be renamed TW because it has a campaign and real time battles.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,200
    Commisar said:

The campaign changes? Too difficult to say how much, but of course, campaigns should always change game to game.

I'm not talking about DoW, I'm talking about 40K units existing within TW mechanics and play style. If CA make it that way those units can't 'argue' and say.. 'nah we are rebelling and reverting back to DoW'.

I'm just basing it on facts, as in CA can merely apply the constraints of a TW game onto the various units. You appear to be arguing - it won't 'feel' like TW. Which is highly subjective.

No I'm not. I've said they can't do both 40K as the setting or have it be TW. They end up being rather polar opposites unless you think that DoW could be renamed TW because it has a campaign and real time battles.
    Yes, you are objectively saying it can't be done without an objective argument. You're the one who decided to bring in another game to add some extra fluff to your point but it isn't relevant.

There's no objective evidence to say CA cannot create a 40K game, you're simply not in a position to give a flat 'no' on that.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,710

Yes, you are objectively saying it can't be done without an objective argument. You're the one who decided to bring in another game to add some extra fluff to your point but it isn't relevant.

There's no objective evidence to say CA cannot create a 40K game, you're simply not in a position to give a flat 'no' on that.

I have repeatedly given the argument on the dozens of past threads where as all you've done is say it can be done with nothing to back it up.

And no I have never said that, I've actually said the opposite. CA is very capable of making a 40K game, I just don't see it being slapped with the TW title. CA has been expressing interest in doing more games outside of the TW title.
    Commisar said:

I have repeatedly given the argument on the dozens of past threads where as all you've done is say it can be done with nothing to back it up.

And no I have never said that, I've actually said the opposite. CA is very capable of making a 40K game, I just don't see it being slapped with the TW title. CA has been expressing interest in doing more games outside of the TW title.
    No, saying ‘it won’t work’ or ‘it doesn’t match the engine’ isn’t evidence of anything, as those are conclusions without premises - assumptions. WHFB and 40K live by the same TT rules and work in a similar way. At no point have you ever said battle won’t work because.. you merely say - battles won’t work or battles won’t ‘feel’ like TW.

Again, guesswork, CA have said they want to try different genres - ipso facto that’s what will happen with a 40K game. That’s not an argument - that’s a guess.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,695
    Guys, isn't 40K more leaned to Sci-Fi instead of Fantasy?
    jamreal18 said:

Guys, isn't 40K more leaned to Sci-Fi instead of Fantasy?

Sci-Fi is described as a possible future with made up technology. Fantasy is concerned with fantastical creatures, magic etc. In the case of 40K both descriptions suit.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,465
    I would see 40k as Sci-fi, thou it lends itself elements of fantasy (like elves and orcs).

But I don't see the problem of CA adding Sci-fi to the list a TW can be.
    After all:
    if you have non historical TW's, why limit that to a unnecessary tied comer?
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • TomCatMe0wTomCatMe0w Registered Users Posts: 96
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/282849/total-war-warhammer-40k-discussion/p1

There's a thread on this already, discussing ideas and such.

But imo, it can work, especially with time. Right now, the main focus CA will be on will be WH3 and whatever their next historical based game will be. But they probably will and probably are right now doing concepts for a 40k game. With time, they'll probably improve the engine of the game and work out whatever problems that could have arise in the meantime.

In a probably estimated time set, a 40k game would probably not arrive until at least some time in WH3's cycle (like several dlc released and more to come). So the most likely probable time would not be this year and next year may be pushing it, but perhaps in 2-3 years. That may sound like a wait, but we'd have warhammer 3 and all its goodies to enjoy in the meantime.