Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Volkmar's imperial campaign is an absolute failure.

veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,377
What is the reason for such low popularity? Don't like Sigmar and his fanatics? What is the reason for his complete failure as a legendary lord?

Comments

• Jote191Jote191 Registered Users Posts: 450
    Maybe it's because he doesn't have his own starting position
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian U.S.S.RRegistered Users Posts: 3,437
    Volkmar is a WI DLC so that's already a fraction of people who have him compared to the other 3 and he has no special mechanics unlike the other DLC LL. Pretty self evident why he'd be last.

Also what is the criteria you are using for failure? Popularity?
    Someone make a "Most wanted HE LL" poll and then once Eldrya is dead last we can make a thread "What are the reasons Eldrya's a failure?" I'm sure you would have to agree then since popularity is apparently the only thing that matters.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 11,043
    1. No unique mechanic since he was first Lp
    2. No unique skill tree share his with arch lector
    3. Centerpiece unit of the dlc knights of the blazing sun can only recruited in one building in whole empire and getting it is not easy.
    4. You need to buy the dlc with Ghorst.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • drizzlynewtdrizzlynewt Registered Users Posts: 186
    No unique start position, no unique campaign mechanics, can be unlocked anyway as part of Karl Franz's campaign.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,652
    saweendra said:

3. Centerpiece unit of the dlc knights of the blazing sun can only recruited in one building in whole empire and getting it is not easy.

But how can you dislike the Free Company and Flagellants?
    Warhammer Fantasy is less grimdark than 40k.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    Dogs of War need Ogres and halflings.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 11,043
    edited February 25

saweendra said:

But how can you dislike the Free Company and Flagellants?
    Oh i love them i am saying why people won't by the dlc. I bought because i play mp and kotbs are bloody too good for price
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • zeekjwzeekjw Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited February 25
    Its because there's not a real incentive to pick him over daddy Franz. He needs a gimmick and or unique start location of some kind like all the other lords after the King and the warlord. Ghorst suffers the same problem.
  • ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 887
    edited February 25
    The trappings of being the first DLC in the entire trilogy - if you compare Volkmar to, say, Throt or even Wulfhart, the gap is simply unbridgeable.

He should be a semi-horde inside the Empire, on a crusade against Vamps and other threats to the Empire. He could gift conquered settlements to elector counts and be able to liberate fallen provinces. As a reward he could get units and unit discounts, plus cash of course.

Why semi-horde? I could imagine a system where he can set up “Cult of Sigmar” inside each friendly imperial city, which would essentially be a not-undercity. The number of upgrades would be dependent on city level and it would add units to the garrison - if the city got attacked, you would be able to control them and defend the city with an AI main garrison.

He would only be able to set these in Sigmar-affiliated cities, thus Middenland and Nordland would be a big no-no, at least until he manages to convert most of their population to Sigmarite faith, thus introducing a religion mechanic to the Empire.

The rework itself should be introduced alongside Cult of Ulric DLC with Emil Valgeir, hence creating an exciting dynamic of quasi-religious war to capture the hearts of the people in the Empire.

This would also encourage you to help elector counts expand to gain more opportunity to create Cult of Sigmar districts inside newly-conquered cities.

Then he could become my favorite Empire LL.
  • HermodrHermodr Registered Users Posts: 139
    edited February 25
    Besides the reasons already mentioned above, the fact that his favoured unit, the flagellant, is only available at level three with the Shrine of Sigmar and that some of his quests have absurd objectives like sack (or raze??) kislevite settlement makes him pretty underwhelming
    Post edited by Hermodr on
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,261
    How can every second LL be total failure? :D

His Royal Highness, Phoenix King Finubar!

"It has been too long since I drew a blade in anger, Tyrion. You have been my sword, and Teclis has been my shield. But now it is time I fought my own battles!"
  • NinaranNinaran Registered Users Posts: 292
    The Faith aspect of the Empire is still woefully neglected, and he suffers from it.
    Hopefully there will be a Middenland DLC that brings the Cult of Ulric and reworks the Cult of Sigmar in the future.
  • drizzlynewtdrizzlynewt Registered Users Posts: 186
    Daruwind said:

How can every second LL be total failure? :D

Just as a tip... If you're going to criticise someone for what is quite obviously over exaggerated and hyperbolic choices of words, it'd probably be for the best if you didn't, yourself, engage in over exaggeration and hyperbole by suggesting they're doing it with "every second LL".
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    I always use him in every campaign. I always start with Karl Franz but I always recruit Volkmar. Just because I don't start with him doesn't mean I don't like him. He must not be moved from Altdorf.

I hope it will be the same that Boris Todbringer and Emil Valgeir the Ar-Ulric both start in Middenheim.
  • oliverpmasonoliverpmason Registered Users Posts: 1,145
    It does annoy me that for his quest you have to fight Kislev.

In multiplayer he very good and picked.
  • Daedalusx007Daedalusx007 Registered Users Posts: 157
    You keep calling things a failure.
    The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong but those are the ways to bet.

I fully support Dogs of War and Kislev for DLC.
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,681
    I have no reason to play Volkmar without unique starting position. Karl Franz is simple better choice for Reikland.
    For me, Volkmar is more like Alaster with mustache for Karl Franz.

I hope we will not wait 5 years for unique starting position for Volkmar, Herman Ghorst and Grombindal.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,970
    Volkmar should stay in Reikland with Karl Franz, no reason to move him around.
    It is also badass to have this two badasses fight site by site early.^^
  • mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 2,079
    I will play him the moment que gets his own faction, preferably as a crusade/horde faction io near the entrance to the Chaos Realm.
  • petertel123petertel123 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 949
    I still have no idea what CA were thinking when they decided to make you attack Kislev for his quest item. It's the worst designed quest in the game (even worse than the ones that make you march an agent all over the world).

Besides that he buffs early game units, but not enough to make them really good, and his campaign is otherwise exactly the same as Franz.

It's a shame, because thematically he's cool and he's really fun to use in battle.
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Dark Elves
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 20,121
    Your statistic analytic skills are a complete failure.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 20,121

The trappings of being the first DLC in the entire trilogy - if you compare Volkmar to, say, Throt or even Wulfhart, the gap is simply unbridgeable.

He should be a semi-horde inside the Empire, on a crusade against Vamps and other threats to the Empire. He could gift conquered settlements to elector counts and be able to liberate fallen provinces. As a reward he could get units and unit discounts, plus cash of course.

Why semi-horde? I could imagine a system where he can set up “Cult of Sigmar” inside each friendly imperial city, which would essentially be a not-undercity. The number of upgrades would be dependent on city level and it would add units to the garrison - if the city got attacked, you would be able to control them and defend the city with an AI main garrison.

He would only be able to set these in Sigmar-affiliated cities, thus Middenland and Nordland would be a big no-no, at least until he manages to convert most of their population to Sigmarite faith, thus introducing a religion mechanic to the Empire.

The rework itself should be introduced alongside Cult of Ulric DLC with Emil Valgeir, hence creating an exciting dynamic of quasi-religious war to capture the hearts of the people in the Empire.

This would also encourage you to help elector counts expand to gain more opportunity to create Cult of Sigmar districts inside newly-conquered cities.

I would love that so much.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 4,852
    His faction bonus is "meh" and Karl Franz is a better over-all lord, leading people to pick the better lord initially. All Empire players probably eventually recruit Volkmar, since he is a superior lord to all generic choices for the Empire.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,375

No unique start position, no unique campaign mechanics, can be unlocked anyway as part of Karl Franz's campaign.

I'd rather argue about the lack of unique Campaign mechanics rather than the Unique starting position,

plus:
    saweendra said:

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!

#PrayForBorisBokha (don't you dare kill of one of the 2 bigname Kislev characters in Backstory... he's the Bear guy!)

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,652
    ArneSo said:

Your statistic analytic skills are a complete failure.

In the cutthroat business of today, being less popular equals failure.
    Warhammer Fantasy is less grimdark than 40k.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    Dogs of War need Ogres and halflings.
  • Captain_OzCaptain_Oz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 62
    His faction bonus is "meh" and Karl Franz is a better over-all lord, leading people to pick the better lord initially. All Empire players probably eventually recruit Volkmar, since he is a superior lord to all generic choices for the Empire

I completely disagree. Wolkmars faction traits are as OP as it can get. +20% magic drop chance across all armies is amazing, as you will amass huge amounts of followers and magic items very quickly. In practice, this means that you will consistently gain access to very rare (purple and blue) items which are crazy good (scroll of stone comes to mind). Also, you will be able to equip every lord and every hero with almost maxed equipment. This means that you will recieve extra misslie resists, ward saves, physical resists, aoe debuffs (eg.tormentor sword, helm of discord) etc. on EVERY single hero and lord. It is as if all of your heroes and lords recieved 4-5 points in the yellow line on top of the huge active and passive effects of items. Instead of calling it a "meh" bonus, I would rank it as one of the best faction traits in the entire game.
    NEDKIL™ for life! :D
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 4,852

His faction bonus is "meh" and Karl Franz is a better over-all lord, leading people to pick the better lord initially. All Empire players probably eventually recruit Volkmar, since he is a superior lord to all generic choices for the Empire

I completely disagree. Wolkmars faction traits are as OP as it can get. +20% magic drop chance across all armies is amazing, as you will amass huge amounts of followers and magic items very quickly. In practice, this means that you will consistently gain access to very rare (purple and blue) items which are crazy good (scroll of stone comes to mind). Also, you will be able to equip every lord and every hero with almost maxed equipment. This means that you will recieve extra misslie resists, ward saves, physical resists, aoe debuffs (eg.tormentor sword, helm of discord) etc. on EVERY single hero and lord. It is as if all of your heroes and lords recieved 4-5 points in the yellow line on top of the huge active and passive effects of items. Instead of calling it a "meh" bonus, I would rank it as one of the best faction traits in the entire game.
    The bonus is easily achievable through other means, notably a wizard hero. The convenience of getting more magic items simply isn't all that crazy.
  • DarkEden7DarkEden7 Registered Users Posts: 2

This sounds really, really cool. I'd be all for it.
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,980

It does annoy me that for his quest you have to fight Kislev.

In multiplayer he very good and picked.

This fighting Kislev definitely needs to change. Hopefully in WH3 we will see a change.
  • veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,377

The idea is really very good
  • ColPresumptuousColPresumptuous Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited February 25
    I guess im one of those minor percentages AGAIN... Hes one of the only Empire lords ill play, I just like the idea of having an army of unbreakable religious lunatics, honestly those Sigmar Fanatics are an insane front line with Volkmars lord buffs...

Wish he had a unique starting location though, and maybe a mechanic similar to Alleriels where you want to keep the empire united and under human control and visiting and controlling provinces give you increasing buffs... maybe even have a geomantic web like one as well where each province you build a Church/temple to Sigmar and the more you have the better.