Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Yes, you can play the way you want, recruit any army you want

Tempus_fugitTempus_fugit Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,361
This game is amazing. You can recruit and successfully use almost any army you like.

You can cheese, (unless you don't want to), you can use balanced armies (unless you don't want to), you can play at any difficulty you want to, you can reload saves repeatedly to get it just right (unless you don't want to) or you can play ironman mode and live with the consequences (unless you don't want to), you can spam stacks of fodder (unless you don't want to) or use elite stacks that nothing can beat (unless you don't want to).
(credit: LegendofTotalWar)

You can have whole armies of heroes, or monsters, sisters of avelorn, or necrosphinxes, mammoths, skinwolves, hell cannons, or even elves. Or you can use the salt of the earth foot soldiers bravely battling monstrosities to defend their families or bring peace to their lands, or have them fight alongside elite champions, each of which is worth as much as a thousand regular soldiers.

You can change the game using mods (unless you don't want to) or you can make your own modifications (unless you don't want to).
You can play on easy, normal, hard or legendary, and can choose whether to play battles on easy normal or hard, etc.
You can play as a woman or a man, no matter what gender you identify as, or an inhuman monster or the personification of nature.

You (yes, you!) can decide what parts, units, armies, lords, magic, mechanics or exploits you want to use or not. You can successfully play on any difficulty using any play style and be successful.
(credit: LegendofTotalWar)

Do you want to finally kill every last dwarf who ever fired a cannon at you? You can. (Unless you don't want to.)

Do you want hordes of Bretonnian peasants? You can. Do you want slavering monsters hurtling toward the enemy to tear them apart and feast on their entrails? You can. Do you want an army of heroes to destroy the enemy? (unless you're tomb kings)? Yes, you can.

Do you want to play a difficult game, but have fair battles? Yes, you can. Do you want a chilled campaign but tough battles? Yes, you can.

Do you want to create armies that remind you of your tabletop days? Yes, you can. Do you want to make armies that you always dreamed of having on tabletop but could never paint, let alone afford? Yes. Yes, you can.

All supported by a dedicated team of artists and developers that create in astonishing detail a fantasy world that contributed to our childhood (or not)? Yes, you can. Did you never know about the game until after it was destroyed in a conflagration of dark magic and poor plot, but dearly want to discover it anew?

Yes. Yes, you can.

Because how YOU want to play is the aim of the game.
There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
Tagged:

Comments

• RebelPeasantRebelPeasant BretonniaRegistered Users Posts: 63
    Agree 100%! It's a sandbox game. Play how you want, but don't try and force that on others.
    “Things cannot go well in Bretonnia, nor ever will, until all goods are held in common, and until there will be neither peasants nor knights, and we shall be equal”
  • SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 1,071
    Yeah, that is what this game is. A game where you choose how to play

• mewade44mewade44 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,155
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,870
    I want to play a game that's balanced and rewards me for getting better at it.

So far I haven't found that aspect in TWWH.

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,186
    edited February 26
    Brilliant thread....

Thanks for sharing....

Post edited by BillyRuffian on

"Yum Yum"
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 1,784

That's what multiplayer is for. Campaign is deliberately a sandbox. It's been this way since the original Shogun.
  • XyphaXypha Brussels (Belgium)Registered Users Posts: 196
    100% correct post. Very well said.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 3,607
    That's not true though. You can't have orc boys in a dwarf army, you can't have 5 Malekiths at once. The game has a huge number of limitations already, made to represent the warhammer world. And we could use more of them. Also, no matter what the player chooses to do, certain things are encouraged by the game mechanics while others are punished severely. And the AI never adheres to any rules you set for yourself.
  • humility925humility925 Registered Users Posts: 170
    There is unbalance factions, Skaven petty much overpowerful and most powerful of all factions, while other factions are very weak like nosca, vampire count (easy to crumble and get self damage and lord just die with no choice even full heath with very limited healing cap, all because some zombie got destroyed, no range power, magic is too limited even wind of death due a.i spead out, unit often flying or few small number and had lot of range spread out, too many low unit with low power and stay power, ect), beastmen. Skaven gave many choice while weakest faction don't gave you much choice even on easy mode.

While there is mod might fix or help balance, depend on faction.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Registered Users Posts: 1,240

There is unbalance factions, Skaven petty much overpowerful and most powerful of all factions, while other factions are very weak like nosca, vampire count (easy to crumble and get self damage and lord just die with no choice even full heath with very limited healing cap, all because some zombie got destroyed, no range power, magic is too limited even wind of death due a.i spead out, unit often flying or few small number and had lot of range spread out, too many low unit with low power and stay power, ect), beastmen. Skaven gave many choice while weakest faction don't gave you much choice even on easy mode.

While there is mod might fix or help balance, depend on faction.

Norsca and VC are very strong mid and late game in player hands, these factions are designed towards specific play styles which means not every player will enjoy them but saying they are weak is just wrong especially for Norsca.
    edited February 26

That statement is inaccurate.

It equates the game giving you all options with being free to choose your playstyle, which is false because if you can cherry pick from the whole deck, you get no reason to not pick the trump cards right away. Yeah, I could pick all the low level cards instead...but if the only justification to do so is that otherwise I'll break the game, what kind of choice is that really?

I play either efficiently and get bored because the game can't take it or I play incompetently and get dissatisfied because the game isn't engaging me. It's also not the duty of the player to cover for bad game design by restraining themselves.

• MODIDDLY1MODIDDLY1 Registered Users Posts: 300
    edited February 26
    That statement is inaccurate.

It equates the game giving you all options with being free to choose your playstyle, which is false because if you can cherry pick from the whole deck, you get no reason to not pick the trump cards right away. Yeah, I could pick all the low level cards instead...but if the only justification to do so is that otherwise I'll break the game, what kind of choice is that really?

I play either efficiently and get bored because the game can't take it or I play incompetently and get dissatisfied because the game isn't engaging me. It's also not the duty of the player to cover for bad game design by restraining themselves.

So why do you not just play on easy all the time if you don't have the self-control to not just take the most efficient path every time?

You're argument is that the game should force everyone else to only be able to use certain unit comps because they are the hardest to use rather than let people build armies in ways they like because you don't like options.
    edited February 26
    MODIDDLY1 said:

So why do you not just play on easy all the time if you don't have the self-control to not just take the most efficient path every time?

You're argument is that the game should force everyone else to only be able to use certain unit comps because they are the hardest to use rather than let people build armies in ways they like because you don't like options.

The most efficient path should not be to spam elites and ignore 90% of the roster after 50 turns. That's just bad game design. For all it's diverse unit rosters, warhammer battles are not diverse at all past the early game. And no matter what limitations the player puts upon themselves, the AI will not follow them in any way so it becomes scewed regardless.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    edited February 26
    Lol whole game is full of limitations.

Why cant my armies have endless movement points?

Why do i need to have gold? Pay upkeep?

Why cant i have 20 lords in an army? A unit of 120 dragons?

Why cant my dwarf lord have 120k hp and fly? Why cant he use malekiths spells?

Why cant i field 230 steamtanks in one army?

Why cant my bretonnia campaign field handgunners? Or black orcs?

Why cant i use shadowy dealings and ikits workshop when i play as karl franz?

You guys crack me up!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
    edited February 26
    MODIDDLY1 said:

Of course there's nothing "brilliant" about this post, it's just a petulant gatekeeping against anyone who'd like the game to not be so braindead.

Saying "You can play however you want" is the polar opposite of gatekeeping.
    Because that statement is phony.

Sorry, your reply is 100% backwards. All the efficient stuff works on easy just as well as on legendary. That's the problem. On easy you also get a totally passive AI that exerts zero pressure on the player on top of everything else.

So why should I bother?

Why should I build low-tier stacks when the game gives me zero reason to do? Someone please answer that question, best without personal attacks. Roleplaying is already invalid because the game doesn't acknowledge what should be the strengths and weaknesses of any faction.

• lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,580
    Ok
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• afverrallafverrall Registered Users Posts: 353
    This is quite sanctimonious really, we all kind of know this.
  • Aman3712Aman3712 Registered Users Posts: 592
    100% agree!

MODIDDLY1 said:

Of course there's nothing "brilliant" about this post, it's just a petulant gatekeeping against anyone who'd like the game to not be so braindead.

Sorry, your reply is 100% backwards. All the efficient stuff works on easy just as well as on legendary. That's the problem. On easy you also get a totally passive AI that exerts zero pressure on the player on top of everything else.

So why should I bother?

Why should I build low-tier stacks when the game gives me zero reason to do? Someone please answer that question, best without personal attacks. Roleplaying is already invalid because the game doesn't acknowledge what should be the strengths and weaknesses of any faction.
    The argument is not backwards. Your complaint is that if the game gives you an easy option, you feel you have to take it because it's the path of least resistance, so easier options should be removed from everyone else.

The "past turn 50" problem isn't a total war problem, it's a strategy game problem. Currently, no designers seem to be able to figure out what to do when the players gets so big they can't be stopped.

Shogun 2 tried the realm divide, which just caused you to have to fight 20 little factions that posed no actual threat, Rome 2 tried corruption, which was a gimmick to just force the player not to be able to get large because they couldn't afford to, Attila tried the Huns, which would show up, burn a few territories, and then die.

Warhammer has confederation and the Chaos invasion, which even playing with the chaos x20 mod on legendary, chaos really isn't that big of a problem for very long. The player simply gets too much stronger than the AI can handle, and the campaign changes from a battle to a tedious slogfest. You stop fighting battles to take territory and just kinda push through armies because the AI can't stop you.

That is the issue you need to try to solve, not people stacking 20 mammoths, but the player reaching a point where they can easily and safely build armies of 20 mammoths because nothing the AI can do can stop them anymore.

Personally, I like the idea of constant rogue armies and BM showing up in territory you own, so you need to make sure you can build multiple smaller armies to defend your own territory rather than just trusting the garrisons while you doomstack down enemies, but with the supply line system, it doesn't matter whether you build a second army of mammoths or spearmen, you get a flat % increase to all units in all armies.

• PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 1,220
    No, I cant recruit any army I want, I want to field black orcs as bretonia, witch elves as the empire and rat ogres as the lizardmen, and since this is a sandbox it should be possible to do so. Basically all the units must be available to all races.

And if you disagree with me, well, dont force your way of playing on others, dont like it dont use it ;)
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,260

Lol whole game is full of limitations.

Why cant my armies have endless movement points?

Why do i need to have gold? Pay upkeep?

Why cant i have 20 lords in an army? A unit of 120 dragons?

Why cant my dwarf lord have 120k hp and fly? Why cant he use malekiths spells?

Why cant i field 230 steamtanks in one army?

Why cant my bretonnia campaign field handgunners? Or black orcs?

Why cant i use shadowy dealings and ikits workshop when i play as karl franz?

You guys crack me up!

No one is arguing for no limits, people are arguing to keep the current range of limits as they are.

All of those would make the game easy for the majority rather than the minority.

And before you say the majority find the game easy above normal difficulty - you're wrong.
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I can play the way I want but that doesn't stop the AI from doing the things I want to avoid.
    I don't want armies runing around with half the units being heroes, I also don't want stacks of 10 Dragons or 19 Blackorcs but the AI will still recruit exactly this.

I restrict myself to have more fun but CA should do something about the AI - can be optional for all I care.^^
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,282
    Honestly, if it wasn't for mods I'd have a problem with the *very* relaxed sandbox nature of the game. It's really easy and has no real strategic restrictions. But because there are mods I just don't care. Let people play as they want.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Registered Users Posts: 1,220
    MODIDDLY1 said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

So why should I bother?

Personally, I like the idea of constant rogue armies and BM showing up in territory you own, so you need to make sure you can build multiple smaller armies to defend your own territory rather than just trusting the garrisons while you doomstack down enemies, but with the supply line system, it doesn't matter whether you build a second army of mammoths or spearmen, you get a flat % increase to all units in all armies.

The problem to do something like that, not counting supply lines, is that armies are tieds to lords. If it was like in previous total war games you could have small armies to defend your territories from those raiders and skirmishes of 3 vs 4 units would be a thing. With the current system multiple smaller armies are imposible.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

MODIDDLY1 said:

MODIDDLY1 said:

So why should I bother?

The problem to do something like that, not counting supply lines, is that armies are tieds to lords. If it was like in previous total war games you could have small armies to defend your territories from those raiders and skirmishes of 3 vs 4 units would be a thing. With the current system multiple smaller armies are imposible.
    Ehh, without supply lines, you could recruit a cheap generic lord, 5-10 units, and then have a small defense force
    I really don't miss the days of the AI sending 20 1stacks toward me. the AI raiders of 3-4 units would have no chance against garrisons, and the idea was to create back threats that could attack settlements, not just small little groups that would raid and be annoying but no threat.

It's a mod, but I would really like the end armies that show up from random factions to continue to happen every 50 or so turns. My issue with the chaos invasion is "Oh no chaos" kill 3 lords "Cool gone forever"

I want random world ending armies to keep showing up so that whether my campaign is on turn 100 or turn 500, it's not over.
  • EmrysorEmrysor Registered Users Posts: 424

Why should the game reward you? This is a game, not a job, not a sport. You play it mostly to relax and chill. If you want to be competitive, then you can go and play multiplayer.
    Emrysor said:

Why should the game reward you? This is a game, not a job, not a sport. You play it mostly to relax and chill. If you want to be competitive, then you can go and play multiplayer.
    Are you seriously saying, that getting better at the game should not make it more enjoyable?
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,044
    Do you want to create armies that remind you of your tabletop days? Yes, you can.

Yes you can. And then get wrecked by 19x Necrofex colossus or Steam Tank armies.

This game needs to be less generic fantasy and more Warhammer.
  • NemoTheElf101NemoTheElf101 Registered Users Posts: 1,784

Emrysor said:

Are you seriously saying, that getting better at the game should not make it more enjoyable?
    It already does that. There's also an entire game mode based around that already.

If you want that level of difficulty, play a 4X game, play a Paradox title, because Total War isn't a "difficult focused" game. What you want is going to be in games like Bloodborne than Shogun 2.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461

Do you want to create armies that remind you of your tabletop days? Yes, you can.

Yes you can. And then get wrecked by 19x Necrofex colossus or Steam Tank armies.

This game needs to be less generic fantasy and more Warhammer.
    That game died.

This game did so unbelievably successfully that it revived the other's cold dead corpse.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.