Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Medieval 3 or “Total War: Medieval” patent

cbferris1cbferris1 Registered Users Posts: 37
edited February 25 in Total War General Chat
Anyone else heard this rumor about the patent being placed for “Total War: medieval”
(Notably not called medieval 3)? I’m not sure if there is any validity to this or if it means anything exactly, but this was the way Troy was discovered before it was announced

Comments

• RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,974

The trademark is legit but we do not know if it means new Medieval game or some rebranding. Yes, Troy was leaked in the same way.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 4,159
    edited February 25
    It could could mean any number of things.

It could be just CA renewing the copyright on the title, it could be a simple rebrand (they rebranded all the older games last year I think), or it could genuinely be a Total War: Medieval 3 (or a reboot so they don't use the "3").

Whatever it is, it's way too early to tell. It'll be at least another year or more before we start to hear anything more about.
  • Arknav555Arknav555 Registered Users Posts: 127
    I doubt they'd be developing 4 games simultaneously. They'll wait for WH3 release before making any news, and even then I doubt it. Also, you sure this belongs here.
  • cbferris1cbferris1 Registered Users Posts: 37
    edited February 25
    Arknav555 said:

I doubt they'd be developing 4 games simultaneously. They'll wait for WH3 release before making any news, and even then I doubt it. Also, you sure this belongs here.

what 4 games? All I can think of is wh3 that we know for sure is in development
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,704
    edited February 26
    If it is rebreanding therefore Rome 1 should have been rebranded as well but it only applies to medieval.

It means something for sure.

CA rebrands M1 but not R1 and M2? Hmmmmm....
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,471
    jamreal18 said:

If it is rebreanding therefore Rome 1 should have been rebranded as well but it only applies to medieval.

that is odd and even if CA does a "Medieval trilogy", wouldn't they want the "cloud" of M2 by naming the first game M3?

Its a shame nobody seems to be an expert on those things, but I wonder if maybe something with M1 has round out and needed renewed trademark.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,719
    jamreal18 said:

How often and how easy is it to search for these trade marks though? Could have been missed or could be pending. But yeah would expect they'd have put a 3 on it otherwise, they updated the numeral with Shogun and Rome even though they use the older naming convention (currently at least)
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 509
    It's probably just for the fact that the TW games were renamed to put the Total War before the name of each game.
  • cbferris1cbferris1 Registered Users Posts: 37
    Trilogy ala mortal empires, going for the Chinese market by including medieval China maybe. Hence first one is not called medieval 3
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,704

It's probably just for the fact that the TW games were renamed to put the Total War before the name of each game.

Why not make it in R1 as well?
  • AmadieusAmadieus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 138

Then wouldn't they have done it way earlier?

I think this is a good rumour for M3. I remember that CA once said that they do not really want to go past a 3 with any of their games. So it might be a reboot for the medieval era.
    The Bikkel Shogunate
  • VikingHuscal1066VikingHuscal1066 Registered Users Posts: 509
    Amadieus said:

Then wouldn't they have done it way earlier?

I think this is a good rumour for M3. I remember that CA once said that they do not really want to go past a 3 with any of their games. So it might be a reboot for the medieval era.

I don't know dude.

I mean, they did rename all the TW games other than Rome 1 to be Total War whatever it is.

And I honestly think that the medieval period doesn't have nearly as much going for it as a lot of people think.

Because I don't really see many of the factions having that much different about them, aside from some rather superficial stuff like English Longbows or Genoese Crossbows, which are just fancy versions of archers and crossbowmen.