Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dogs of War speculation/faction mechanics

Gleipnir74Gleipnir74 Registered Users Posts: 267
If when we get Dogs of War I am curious what others would think their faction mechanics should play as.

Personally I think CA should do something very different with them in light of them being a mercenary faction and not a faction painting the world map their color.

Each faction could have unique progression and start position with a unique Pirate Cove or Undercity style mechanic and hybrid Horde based progression.

The faction could use "contracts" missions where progression with a faction would progressively lead to better diplomacy relations with a faction, unit unlocks, technology paths. Empire for example might give Hand Gunners or decreased upkeep and recruitment for certain units, Dwarfs might give access to Miners with Blasting Charges or Dwarf Warriors etc...

Each Turn instead of province commandments you would have a Patron, your missions come from your current patron steadily unlocking unlocks on Tech Tree(something resembling Tomb Kings would make more sense), campaign and horde recruitment options, you can only recruit armies and heroes from existing Hordes or Patron locations and cities captured are either razed for coin or given to the current patron for favorable diplomatic relations and the ability to create a Pirate Cove/Undercity style of location for recruiting local area buffs, factionwide buffs, hero recruitment, income, reduced upkeep etc...

Each faction would have a default Patron they could use even in the event that patron has been eliminated. In this way you could add a minor race as a mercenary faction with unique units, where the DoW faction chosen also determines which races factions are available to you. In this way you can add in Southern Realms/Araby/Albion/Amazons/Norse Dwarfs/Halflings/a certain brewmeister etc.. without a full blown Race Pack for every minor faction in the game while still giving them representation, unique units and a faction to call their own.

Campaign victory conditions would be based on Alliances, factions eliminated and allied holdings reputation etc...

With a Campaign Pack and 2-4 more LL we could feasibly add in 4-6 minor races with their own unique units and playthrough.

Your thoughts? What would you like to see with them?

Comments

• SaintCornSaintCorn Registered Users Posts: 1,051
    An interesting idea for implementation.
    I think I would prefer just them being called the Southern Realms and for them to hold physical territory with an emphasis on playing tall, maybe getting bonuses like the wood elves for allies nearby?

But like in 3K, they could offer mercenary contracts to different factions.

• mecanojavi99mecanojavi99 EspañaRegistered Users Posts: 2,053
    If we ever get DoW, it will most iikely by mixing them with TEB, the first providing all the RoR and maybe some basic units based in the RoR, like Desert Riders as a unit based in the RoR of Al Muktars Desert Dogs, for example.

Then TEB would provide a common basic army between all the factions, the LL and the faction names.

On mechanics, CA has already been tinkering with the idea of mercenary contracts in 3K, so we may see them using that as a starting point and expanding upon it.
  • AlchimistAlchimist Registered Users Posts: 205

If we ever get DoW, it will most iikely by mixing them with TEB, the first providing all the RoR and maybe some basic units based in the RoR, like Desert Riders as a unit based in the RoR of Al Muktars Desert Dogs, for example.

Then TEB would provide a common basic army between all the factions, the LL and the faction names.

On mechanics, CA has already been tinkering with the idea of mercenary contracts in 3K, so we may see them using that as a starting point and expanding upon it.

I think too that they'll have a core pool of basic units, albeit smaller than other races, but then they'll also have a larger of pool of RoRs to recruit, the Dogs of War ranging from Estalian mercenaries to Albion one, and even Halflings.

Other races might even be able to recruit those mercenaries if they're in the right region, like the mercenary mechanic in Rome 2 if I recall correctly, so if you're in Naggarond you could recruit Mengil Manhide's Manflayers.
    Alchimist said:

I think too that they'll have a core pool of basic units, albeit smaller than other races, but then they'll also have a larger of pool of RoRs to recruit, the Dogs of War ranging from Estalian mercenaries to Albion one, and even Halflings.

Other races might even be able to recruit those mercenaries if they're in the right region, like the mercenary mechanic in Rome 2 if I recall correctly, so if you're in Naggarond you could recruit Mengil Manhide's Manflayers.
    Or like in Troy, where you can recruit mithic units only if you control certain places in the map, similar to how you can only recruit Savage Orc units in certain parts of the map.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461
    I was planning a series of threads on this topic since I believe they're the most likely pre-order candidate. But it's huge walls of text.

TL:DR.

Double RoR system.
    Silk Road trade routes.
    Eshin contracts.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.

I was planning a series of threads on this topic since I believe they're the most likely pre-order candidate. But it's huge walls of text.

Double RoR system.
    Silk Road trade routes.
    Eshin contracts.

I'm still working on my threads about what the Cults of Morr and Mannan can ass to DoW/TEB and in Mannan case to Bourdelaux and Alberic.

TLDR
    There's a lot of cult things that DoW could benefit from, just go check this post I made about the Cult of Myrmidia only, imagine 3 entire cults.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/283757/the-cult-of-myrmidia-and-dow-teb#latest

DoW has a lot of potential things friend.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461

Double RoR system.
    Silk Road trade routes.
    Eshin contracts.

I'm still working on my threads about what the Cults of Morr and Mannan can ass to DoW/TEB and in Mannan case to Bourdelaux and Alberic.

TLDR
    There's a lot of cult things that DoW could benefit from, just go check this post I made about the Cult of Myrmidia only, imagine 3 entire cults.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/283757/the-cult-of-myrmidia-and-dow-teb#latest

Yeah of all the negatives about their implementation, campaign mechanics are not among them.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.

Double RoR system.
    Silk Road trade routes.
    Eshin contracts.

TLDR

Yeah of all the negatives about their implementation, campaign mechanics are not among them.
    I just hope that if they are sacrificed as the Preorder, that at least they come with 4 LL instead of 2, that would make it a little less painful.
  • PraiseSigmawPraiseSigmaw Registered Users Posts: 1,645
    How about unlocking certain RoRs by doing missions? Like unlocking Al Muktar's desert dogs after doing an incursion against Followers of Nagash.
    Warhammer Fantasy is less grimdark than 40k.
    Ogre Kingdoms when CA?
    Dogs of War need Ogres and halflings.
  • Rob18446Rob18446 Registered Users Posts: 1,374

How about unlocking certain RoRs by doing missions? Like unlocking Al Muktar's desert dogs after doing an incursion against Followers of Nagash.

Yeah that sounds good, kinda like how the Coasts have to defeat certain pirates to unlock their RoRs, scatter them around the map and you have good reason to move around.
  • SbygneusSbygneus Registered Users Posts: 907
    I am curious if DOW pikemen will have special mechanics or they will only be "spearmen" with better stats.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,386
    Sbygneus said:

I am curious if DOW pikemen will have special mechanics or they will only be "spearmen" with better stats.

Probably spearmen with better stats as CA has not wanted to put formations into Warhammer which pikes would especially benefit from.

The main thing with DoW is how they can expand on the map without turning all the map against them from taking contracts?

I would suggest they suffer normal diplomatic penalties from going to war but war penalties disappear 3x as fast and their default neutral status is much easier to regain after a war since other factions consider DoW to be merely the paid stooges of some other faction.

During the contract DoW have a dilemma to keep giving gained territories to their benefactor faction in exchange for money or start keeping captured territories for themselves which can eventually provoke a war against their paymaster for 2x the normal diplomatic penalties for betraying a contract.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.